Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Router for the garage

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 06:55:41 -0700

I just installed a wi-fi extender so I could control a garage door 
opener. It connects to either 2.4 and 5.0 devices (I think the opener is 
2.4 only but, not sure):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NR2VMNC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 8/10/2020 9:25 PM, Robert Nogueirao wrote:
> I’d like to use some smart plugs out in the garage so I can turn the fan and vacuum on or off via voice command.   The problem is the wifi router provided by my internet provider is a 2.4 ghz/5ghz router which switches between the two depending on the speed and signal strength.  The two smart plugs I have require 2.4ghz. The result is half the time the don’t work.
> Can I simply plug a 2.4ghz router into the port on the 2.4/5 GHz router, give it a name and use that connection in the garage for the smart plugs?   Will the 2.4/5 router see it simply as another device?
> It sure would be nice to not have to walk across the garage to turn on the fan or vacuum.
> Thanks for any help
> Bob Nogueira
>
>
>

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: PJ McGarvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 14:20:51 +0000

--===============5523711860546638148==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_DM6PR11MB431384EFD5DD391A91B50B039A450DM6PR11MB4313namp_"

--_000_DM6PR11MB431384EFD5DD391A91B50B039A450DM6PR11MB4313namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Your wifi router may give you the option of creating separate 2.4G and 5G S=
SIDs (basically the network name you see broadcasting). I do this on an Asu=
s RT-AC86U. Typically the 2.4G freq provides more range, and the 5G is fast=
er under ideal conditions.  Do this, and then config your plug to connect t=
o the 2.4 network.

If not, you can attach a 2.4G Wifi access point to the Wifi router and it s=
hould do what you need. Just don't put the access point in a router mode, o=
r you may have connectivity issues. It should have an "access point" mode, =
or something appropriate to just "extend" the local network.

I use a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-US Unifi Mesh Access Point, which is weather-rate=
d, so I can provide wifi to my garage and backyard.

PJ

________________________________
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> on behalf of Bob Spidell=
 <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 9:55 AM
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Router for the garage

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NR2VMNC/ref=3Dppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title=
_o03_s00?ie=3DUTF8&psc=3D1

On 8/10/2020 9:25 PM, Robert Nogueirao wrote:
> I=92d like to use some smart plugs out in the garage so I can turn the fa=
n and vacuum on or off via voice command.   The problem is the wifi router =
provided by my internet provider is a 2.4 ghz/5ghz router which switches be=
tween the two depending on the speed and signal strength.  The two smart pl=
ugs I have require 2.4ghz. The result is half the time the don=92t work.
> Can I simply plug a 2.4ghz router into the port on the 2.4/5 GHz router, =
give it a name and use that connection in the garage for the smart plugs?  =
 Will the 2.4/5 router see it simply as another device?
> It sure would be nice to not have to walk across the garage to turn on th=
e fan or vacuum.

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/arch=
ive

[email-masked]

--_000_DM6PR11MB431384EFD5DD391A91B50B039A450DM6PR11MB4313namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DWindows-1=
252">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Your wifi router may give you the option of creating separate 2.4G and 5G S=
SIDs (basically the network name you see broadcasting). I do this on an Asu=
s RT-AC86U. Typically the 2.4G freq provides more range, and the 5G is fast=
er under ideal conditions.&nbsp; Do this,
 and then config your plug to connect to the 2.4 network.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
If not, you can attach a 2.4G Wifi access point to the Wifi router and it s=
hould do what you need. Just don't put the access point in a router mode, o=
r you may have connectivity issues. It should have an &quot;access point&qu=
ot; mode, or something appropriate to just
 &quot;extend&quot; the local network.&nbsp;</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
I use a&nbsp;Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-US Unifi Mesh Access Point, which is weather=
-rated, so I can provide wifi to my garage and backyard.&nbsp;</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
PJ</div>
<div id=3D"appendonsend"></div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"display:inline-block; width:98%">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" co=
lor=3D"#000000" style=3D"font-size:11pt"><b>From:</b> Shop-talk &lt;shop-ta=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Bob Spidell &lt;bspidell@comcast=
.net&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, August 11, 2020 9:55 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Shop-talk] Router for the garage</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div class=3D"BodyFragment"><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt"=
<div class=3D"PlainText">I just installed a wi-fi extender so I could contr=
ol a garage door
<br>
opener. It connects to either 2.4 and 5.0 devices (I think the opener is <b=
r>
2.4 only but, not sure):<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NR2VMNC/ref=3Dppx_yo_dt_b=
_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=3DUTF8&amp;psc=3D1">https://smile.amazon.com/gp/prod=
uct/B00NR2VMNC/ref=3Dppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=3DUTF8&amp;psc=3D1</=
a><br>
<br>
On 8/10/2020 9:25 PM, Robert Nogueirao wrote:<br>
&gt; I=92d like to use some smart plugs out in the garage so I can turn the=
 fan and vacuum on or off via voice command.&nbsp;&nbsp; The problem is the=
 wifi router provided by my internet provider is a 2.4 ghz/5ghz router whic=
h switches between the two depending on the speed
 and signal strength.&nbsp; The two smart plugs I have require 2.4ghz. The =
result is half the time the don=92t work.<br>
&gt; Can I simply plug a 2.4ghz router into the port on the 2.4/5 GHz route=
r, give it a name and use that connection in the garage for the smart plugs=
?&nbsp;&nbsp; Will the 2.4/5 router see it simply as another device?<br>
&gt; It sure would be nice to not have to walk across the garage to turn on=
 the fan or vacuum.<br>
&gt; Thanks for any help<br>
&gt; Bob Nogueira<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
[email-masked]<br>
ate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.tea=
m.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>=
<br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a>=
<br>
<br>
</div>
</span></font></div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_DM6PR11MB431384EFD5DD391A91B50B039A450DM6PR11MB4313namp_--

--===============5523711860546638148==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5523711860546638148==--

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 16:25:54 -0400

On the 2.4/5 Ghz router I have [Arris brand], you can give the 2.4 a different SSID from the SSID on the 5 Ghz band. If you give them separate names, the smart plugs should only connect to the 2.4 side, and not drop.  

A possible downside is if you have a mobile phone or other Wi-Fi client that usually goes between the two, you may have to set it up on both, or on the one you want it to connect to...

----------------
All the best,

Al Fuller

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Robert Nogueirao
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 12:25 AM
To: Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Router for the garage

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]