Subject: [Shop-talk] Driveway gates

From: marty sukey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 12:51:49 +0000

--===============3246157439113961349==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BL0PR02MB451493AC64B8BEA4729A8021BA4F0BL0PR02MB4514namp_"

--_000_BL0PR02MB451493AC64B8BEA4729A8021BA4F0BL0PR02MB4514namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have a gravel driveway with swinging gates going back to the shop. There =
are two pipes driven into the ground that receive the drop rods on the gate=
s when they are closed.  I need to add a few inches of gravel to the drivew=
ay and that would bury the pipes making them not very usable. Any ideas on =
home to gab these pipes and pull them up to match the new surface of the gr=
avel?

Thanks,
Marty

--_000_BL0PR02MB451493AC64B8BEA4729A8021BA4F0BL0PR02MB4514namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
I have a gravel driveway with swinging gates going back to the shop. There =
are two pipes driven into the ground that receive the drop rods on the gate=
s when they are closed.&nbsp; I need to add a few inches of gravel to the d=
riveway and that would bury the pipes
 making them not very usable. Any ideas on home to gab these pipes and pull=
 them up to match the new surface of the gravel?</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Thanks,</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Marty</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BL0PR02MB451493AC64B8BEA4729A8021BA4F0BL0PR02MB4514namp_--

--===============3246157439113961349==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============3246157439113961349==--

---

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 05:56:21 -0700

--===============9006199116850427302==

--00000000000092bf7005abd0728a

Hi Marty,

Could you just put a coupler on the end of the existing pipe in the ground
and then insert a short new length of pipe in the coupler to clear the
new layer of gravel?

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 5:52 AM marty sukey <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have a gravel driveway with swinging gates going back to the shop. There
> are two pipes driven into the ground that receive the drop rods on the
> gates when they are closed.  I need to add a few inches of gravel to the
> driveway and that would bury the pipes making them not very usable. Any
> ideas on home to gab these pipes and pull them up to match the new surface
> of the gravel?
>
> Thanks,
> Marty
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--00000000000092bf7005abd0728a
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Hi Marty,<div><br></div><div>Could you just put a coupler =
on the end of the existing pipe in the ground and then insert a short new l=
ength of pipe in the coupler to clear the new=C2=A0layer of gravel?</div></=
div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On=
 Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 5:52 AM marty sukey &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:trmarty@hotm=
ail.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"g=
mail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204=
,204,204);padding-left:1ex">

<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
I have a gravel driveway with swinging gates going back to the shop. There =
are two pipes driven into the ground that receive the drop rods on the gate=
s when they are closed.=C2=A0 I need to add a few inches of gravel to the d=
riveway and that would bury the pipes
 making them not very usable. Any ideas on home to gab these pipes and pull=
 them up to match the new surface of the gravel?</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Thanks,</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color=
:rgb(0,0,0)">
Marty</div>
</div>

_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000092bf7005abd0728a--

--===============9006199116850427302==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9006199116850427302==--

---

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 09:15:34 -0400

--===============3589184443242293650==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_9BBF3991-D491-4C14-A690-102FF1868257"

--Apple-Mail=_9BBF3991-D491-4C14-A690-102FF1868257
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

Assuming you can expose enough of the surface, could you could weld a =
ring onto the end of it and then try limiting it up with an engine lift? =
 I=E2=80=99ve used my lift for many jobs besides pulling/installing =
engines, such as pulling wooden fence posts and even bushes out of the =
ground.  You might have to provide a base for the lift, but could drill =
a large hole in a pice of plywood and place that over the pipe.  Pull up =
the pipe, grind off the ring and then tap it down to the old location.  =
Or, remove it entirely and pound in a new, slightly longer piece.

Jim

> On Aug 1, 2020, at 8:56 AM, old dirtbeard <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> Hi Marty,
>=20
> Could you just put a coupler on the end of the existing pipe in the =
ground and then insert a short new length of pipe in the coupler to =
clear the new layer of gravel?
>=20
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 5:52 AM marty sukey <[email-masked] =
> I have a gravel driveway with swinging gates going back to the shop. =
There are two pipes driven into the ground that receive the drop rods on =
the gates when they are closed.  I need to add a few inches of gravel to =
the driveway and that would bury the pipes making them not very usable. =
Any ideas on home to gab these pipes and pull them up to match the new =
surface of the gravel?
>=20
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html =
<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
<http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk> http://autox.team.net/archive =
<http://autox.team.net/archive>
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked] =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>
>=20
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
http://autox.team.net/archive
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_9BBF3991-D491-4C14-A690-102FF1868257
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D"">Assuming you can expose enough of the surface, could you =
could weld a ring onto the end of it and then try limiting it up with an =
engine lift? &nbsp;I=E2=80=99ve used my lift for many jobs besides =
pulling/installing engines, such as pulling wooden fence posts and even =
bushes out of the ground. &nbsp;You might have to provide a base for the =
lift, but could drill a large hole in a pice of plywood and place that =
over the pipe. &nbsp;Pull up the pipe, grind off the ring and then tap =
it down to the old location. &nbsp;Or, remove it entirely and pound in a =
new, slightly longer piece.<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">Jim<br class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite"=
 class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Aug 1, 2020, at 8:56 AM, old dirtbeard =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><div dir=3D"ltr" =
class=3D"">Hi Marty,<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">Could you just put a coupler on the end of the existing pipe =
in the ground and then insert a short new length of pipe in the coupler =
to clear the new&nbsp;layer of gravel?</div></div><br class=3D""><div =
class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Aug =
1, 2020 at 5:52 AM marty sukey &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br =
class=3D""></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px =
0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: =
12pt;" class=3D"">
I have a gravel driveway with swinging gates going back to the shop. =
There are two pipes driven into the ground that receive the drop rods on =
the gates when they are closed.&nbsp; I need to add a few inches of =
gravel to the driveway and that would bury the pipes
 making them not very usable. Any ideas on home to gab these pipes and =
pull them up to match the new surface of the gravel?</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: =
12pt;" class=3D"">
<br class=3D"">
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: =
12pt;" class=3D"">
Thanks,</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: =
12pt;" class=3D"">
Marty</div>
</div>

_______________________________________________<br class=3D"">
<br class=3D"">
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D"">
target=3D"_blank" class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br =
class=3D"">
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" =
rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank" class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br =
class=3D"">
<br class=3D"">
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]=
m" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/dirtbeard@gmail=
.com</a><br class=3D"">
<br class=3D"">
</blockquote></div>
_______________________________________________<br class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D"">Donate: =
&nbsp;$12.96<br class=3D"">Archive: =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_9BBF3991-D491-4C14-A690-102FF1868257--

--===============3589184443242293650==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3589184443242293650==--

---

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 09:59:58 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5862309570009255927==
 boundary="------------205A6EFF3D4B03441D4230CF"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------205A6EFF3D4B03441D4230CF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Maybe a blind bearing puller? Might even be available for free rental 
from an auto supply store...

Eric Russell

Mebane, NC

On 8/1/2020 8:51 AM, marty sukey wrote:
> I have a gravel driveway with swinging gates going back to the shop. 
> There are two pipes driven into the ground that receive the drop rods 
> on the gates when they are closed.  I need to add a few inches of 
> gravel to the driveway and that would bury the pipes making them not 
> very usable. Any ideas on home to gab these pipes and pull them up to 
> match the new surface of the gravel?

--------------205A6EFF3D4B03441D4230CF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Maybe a blind bearing puller? Might even be available for free
      rental from an auto supply store... <br>
    </p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <p>Eric Russell</p>
    <p>Mebane, NC <br>
    </p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 8/1/2020 8:51 AM, marty sukey wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <style type="text/css" style="display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}</style>
      <div style="font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        I have a gravel driveway with swinging gates going back to the
        shop. There are two pipes driven into the ground that receive
        the drop rods on the gates when they are closed.  I need to add
        a few inches of gravel to the driveway and that would bury the
        pipes making them not very usable. Any ideas on home to gab
        these pipes and pull them up to match the new surface of the
        gravel?</div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------205A6EFF3D4B03441D4230CF--

--===============5862309570009255927==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5862309570009255927==--

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 07:15:46 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4371501930298865590==
 boundary="------------7C334EB46AC10BBD8C754BA1"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------7C334EB46AC10BBD8C754BA1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

OT, but a friend in construction informed me that these ('drop rods') 
are called 'cane locks' in the biz (I'd never heard that).

O(n) T: I think in the long run it'd be easiest to dig them out and 
're-plant.'

Bob

On 8/1/2020 6:15 AM, Jim Stone wrote:
> Assuming you can expose enough of the surface, could you could weld a 
> ring onto the end of it and then try limiting it up with an engine 
> lift?  I’ve used my lift for many jobs besides pulling/installing 
> engines, such as pulling wooden fence posts and even bushes out of the 
> ground.  You might have to provide a base for the lift, but could 
> drill a large hole in a pice of plywood and place that over the pipe. 
>  Pull up the pipe, grind off the ring and then tap it down to the old 
> location.  Or, remove it entirely and pound in a new, slightly longer 
> piece.
>
> Jim
>
>> On Aug 1, 2020, at 8:56 AM, old dirtbeard <[email-masked] 
>>
>> Hi Marty,
>>
>> Could you just put a coupler on the end of the existing pipe in the 
>> ground and then insert a short new length of pipe in the coupler to 
>> On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 5:52 AM marty sukey <[email-masked] 
>>
>>     shop. There are two pipes driven into the ground that receive the
>>     drop rods on the gates when they are closed.  I need to add a few
>>     inches of gravel to the driveway and that would bury the pipes
>>     making them not very usable. Any ideas on home to gab these pipes
>>     and pull them up to match the new surface of the gravel?
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Marty
>>

--------------7C334EB46AC10BBD8C754BA1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    OT, but a friend in construction informed me that these ('drop
    rods') are called 'cane locks' in the biz (I'd never heard that).<br>
    <br>
    O(n) T: I think in the long run it'd be easiest to dig them out and
    're-plant.'<br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 8/1/2020 6:15 AM, Jim Stone wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      Assuming you can expose enough of the surface, could you could
      weld a ring onto the end of it and then try limiting it up with an
      engine lift?  I’ve used my lift for many jobs besides
      pulling/installing engines, such as pulling wooden fence posts and
      even bushes out of the ground.  You might have to provide a base
      for the lift, but could drill a large hole in a pice of plywood
      and place that over the pipe.  Pull up the pipe, grind off the
      ring and then tap it down to the old location.  Or, remove it
      entirely and pound in a new, slightly longer piece.
      <div class=""><br class="">
      </div>
      <div class="">Jim<br class="">
        <div><br class="">
          <blockquote type="cite" class="">
            <div class="">On Aug 1, 2020, at 8:56 AM, old dirtbeard &lt;<a
                href="mailto:[email-masked]" class=""
                moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
              wrote:</div>
            <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
            <div class="">
              <div dir="ltr" class="">Hi Marty,
                <div class=""><br class="">
                </div>
                <div class="">Could you just put a coupler on the end of
                  the existing pipe in the ground and then insert a
                  short new length of pipe in the coupler to clear the
                  new layer of gravel?</div>
              </div>
              <br class="">
              <div class="gmail_quote">
                <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at
                  5:52 AM marty sukey &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:[email-masked]" class=""
                    moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br class="">
                </div>
                <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px
                  0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                  rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                  <div dir="ltr" class="">
                    <div style="font-family: Calibri, Helvetica,
                      sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;" class="">
                      I have a gravel driveway with swinging gates going
                      back to the shop. There are two pipes driven into
                      the ground that receive the drop rods on the gates
                      when they are closed.  I need to add a few inches
                      of gravel to the driveway and that would bury the
                      pipes making them not very usable. Any ideas on
                      home to gab these pipes and pull them up to match
                      the new surface of the gravel?</div>
                    <div style="font-family: Calibri, Helvetica,
                      sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;" class="">
                      <br class="">
                    </div>
                    <div style="font-family: Calibri, Helvetica,
                      sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;" class="">
                      Thanks,</div>
                    <div style="font-family: Calibri, Helvetica,
                      sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;" class="">
                      Marty</div>
                  </div>
                  <br>
                </blockquote>
              </div>
            </div>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------7C334EB46AC10BBD8C754BA1--

--===============4371501930298865590==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4371501930298865590==--