Subject: [Shop-talk] Socket marking? (and a quick 'why?)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 11:49:39 -0400 07/24/2020 11:49:40 AM, Serialize complete at 07/24/2020 11:49:40 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============0583752116605751960==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 0056F20C852585AF_=

First, why do they not sell metric impact sockets sets with all sizes?  I 
just spend about an hour, with a chart to figure out what brand sockets, 
and extra ones I needed to make up a full set.

They don't even all skip the same sizes.  Some skip 16mm, others 20mm etc. 
 I know that some sizes are the same as sae, but what if I don't have an 
sae set?  Just wondering.

On to the REAL question.

All of my sockets sets that I have are awesome.  They aren't to fat to 
prevent getting into spaces, but don't break when the gorilla (me) turns 
them.  HOWEVER, most of them are losing their labeling.  I don't want to 
have to buy new sets that are engraved, so I wanted some feedback on my 
options.

1-Sticker labels-do they last?  I actually use colored tape on a few of my 
most standard sizes so I can quickly find them, but that needs to be 
re-applied every few years.

2-Markers?  Are there markers than can write on these things that will 
last a while?  (If I have to re write them as it wears off, that isn't an 
issue, as long as it isn't too often.) 

3-Manually engrave them. I have a dremel engraver.  Will that work without 
weakening the socket?  Any other way to do it?

4- combination of 2 and 3?  Engrave then write over the number with a 
marker?

5- any ideas I missed? 

Thanks.

"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
-Who is John Galt?
--=_alternative 0056F20C852585AF_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">First, why do they not sell metric impact
sockets sets with all sizes? &nbsp;I just spend about an hour, with a chart
to figure out what brand sockets, and extra ones I needed to make up a
full set.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">They don't even all skip the same sizes.
&nbsp;Some skip 16mm, others 20mm etc. &nbsp;I know that some sizes are
the same as sae, but what if I don't have an sae set? &nbsp;Just wondering.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">On to the REAL question.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">All of my sockets sets that I have are
awesome. &nbsp;They aren't to fat to prevent getting into spaces, but don't
break when the gorilla (me) turns them. &nbsp;HOWEVER, most of them are
losing their labeling. &nbsp;I don't want to have to buy new sets that
are engraved, so I wanted some feedback on my options.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">1-Sticker labels-do they last? &nbsp;I
actually use colored tape on a few of my most standard sizes so I can quickly
find them, but that needs to be re-applied every few years.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">2-Markers? &nbsp;Are there markers than
can write on these things that will last a while? &nbsp;(If I have to re
write them as it wears off, that isn't an issue, as long as it isn't too
often.) </font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">3-Manually engrave them. I have a dremel
engraver. &nbsp;Will that work without weakening the socket? &nbsp;Any
other way to do it?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">4- combination of 2 and 3? &nbsp;Engrave
then write over the number with a marker?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">5- any ideas I missed? &nbsp;</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
Thanks.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
--=_alternative 0056F20C852585AF_=--

--===============0583752116605751960==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============0583752116605751960==--