Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mosquito problem in Central Maryland

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 20:54:26 -0400

Having grown up chasing the mosquito-fogging truck, I feel qualified
to comment...

The best way to get rid of mosquitoes is to get rid of their
living/breeding areas - principally standing water.  That can, of
course, be easier said than done.  It might not be on property you can
access, or other reasons you can't drain the neighbor's pond.

There are commercial solutions that attract them by generating CO2
(with a propane tank) and then capturing them and killing them.

https://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Magnet-MM4200B-Patriot-Plus/dp/B07CLT5D6Z

Bug zappers work well sometimes, but locate it near - but not at - the
place you are working or sitting.  Like the CO2 devices, they attract
the mosquitoes, and you don't want to bring them toward you, you just
want to clear your local area.

We have a commercial service here that's part of a chain.  I've never
used them, but they seem to use a combination of methods including
foggers and chemical sprays to solve the problem.  Not sure if it's
any more effective than anything you could do yourself.

Here's a NYT article that has other suggestions

https://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Magnet-MM4200B-Patriot-Plus/dp/B07CLT5D6Z?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_6

...including these coils, which I hadn't seen in years.  We used to go
to the drive-in movie and burn one of these in a pie pan on the
dashboard.  Good times...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LCHVCJ8/

FWIW, we had a wet winter, which has led to an abundance of skeeters.
My misspent youth in the cloud behind the fogging truck may be
responsible for the fact that I only get bit about 10% of what the
rest of my family suffers.

Good luck!

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 8:21 PM Gene Abbondelo
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> My garage is separated from my house and is in a shady area.  I have a big problem with mosquitos in the garage as the area is humid and I'm getting eaten alive.
>
> Any suggestions on getting rid of the problem.  Are there spray "bombs" that would work similar to the kind people use for flea problems or is this a problem better left to a pest control company?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Gene
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

---

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 21:03:56 -0400

--===============4095534169131519751==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_72087E9C-4434-431B-A3A1-424EED690A66"

--Apple-Mail=_72087E9C-4434-431B-A3A1-424EED690A66
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

The Wirecutter.com (owned by the NY Times) has a good review of mosquito =
repellers: =
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/mosquito-control-gear/. We =
recently bought one of the Thermacell units and it does seem to do a =
good job of controlling them within a radius of about 15 feet.  It =
won=E2=80=99t kill or prevent them, but is a pretty good way of keeping =
them at bay.  And, as Jeff noted, they say the old fashioned coils do a =
pretty good job, too.

> On Jul 5, 2020, at 8:54 PM, Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LCHVCJ8/ =
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LCHVCJ8/>

--Apple-Mail=_72087E9C-4434-431B-A3A1-424EED690A66
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">The =
<a href=3D"http://Wirecutter.com" class=3D"">Wirecutter.com</a> (owned =
by the NY Times) has a good review of mosquito repellers:&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/mosquito-control-gear/"=
 =
class=3D"">https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/mosquito-control-gea=
r/</a>. We recently bought one of the Thermacell units and it does seem =
to do a good job of controlling them within a radius of about 15 feet. =
&nbsp;It won=E2=80=99t kill or prevent them, but is a pretty good way of =
keeping them at bay. &nbsp;And, as Jeff noted, they say the old =
fashioned coils do a pretty good job, too.<br class=3D""><div><br =
class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Jul =
5, 2020, at 8:54 PM, Jeff Scarbrough &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt;=
 wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><a =
href=3D"https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LCHVCJ8/" style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LCHVCJ8/</a></div></blockquote></d=
iv><br class=3D""></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_72087E9C-4434-431B-A3A1-424EED690A66--

--===============4095534169131519751==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4095534169131519751==--

---

From: Ian McFetridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 22:05:49 -0400

--===============3601343040089051682==

--000000000000ef03dc05a9bc5040
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

We have a light trap that also uses some bait packets.  It certainly gets
filled, but it doesn=E2=80=99t seem to draw the mosquitos out of places (li=
ke
garage).  The only thing I=E2=80=99ve found that works in the garage is a f=
an (they
are weak fliers) and DEET on me.

Best,
Ian

> > My garage is separated from my house and is in a shady area.  I have a
> big problem with mosquitos in the garage as the area is humid and I'm
> getting eaten alive.
> >
> > Any suggestions on getting rid of the problem.  Are there spray "bombs"
> that would work similar to the kind people use for flea problems or is th=
is
> a problem better left to a pest control company?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice,
> >
> > Gene

--000000000000ef03dc05a9bc5040
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div><div dir=3D"auto">We have a light trap that also uses some bait packet=
s.=C2=A0 It certainly gets filled, but it doesn=E2=80=99t seem to draw the =
mosquitos out of places (like garage).=C2=A0 The only thing I=E2=80=99ve fo=
und that works in the garage is a fan (they are weak fliers) and DEET on me=
. =C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Best,</div><div=
 dir=3D"auto">Ian</div></div><div><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"lt=
r" class=3D"gmail_attr"><br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;=
padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)">
On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 8:21 PM Gene Abbondelo<br>
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">eugene.=
[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; My garage is separated from my house and is in a shady area.=C2=A0 I h=
ave a big problem with mosquitos in the garage as the area is humid and I&#=
39;m getting eaten alive.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Any suggestions on getting rid of the problem.=C2=A0 Are there spray &=
quot;bombs&quot; that would work similar to the kind people use for flea pr=
oblems or is this a problem better left to a pest control company?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks for any advice,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Gene<br>
&gt; _______________________________________________<br>
<br>
</blockquote></div></div>

--000000000000ef03dc05a9bc5040--

--===============3601343040089051682==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3601343040089051682==--

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 22:46:32 -0400

Can you get a screen for the door? There are magnetic ones that re-cling after you pass through.

As for bug zappers, they kill far more beneficial bugs than mosquitoes; you'd be better off with a couple of mosquito magnets but the propane they use to generate CO2 can get expensive. 

Our community will spray our property but it's temporary, and if you live in a swamp, ineffective. 

Good luck, I feel your pain. 

jim

> On Jul 5, 2020, at 8:21 PM, Gene Abbondelo <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> 

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 20:36:31 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============9114480392875152700==
 boundary="------------DD956B46EF794B1218FA3EE6"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------DD956B46EF794B1218FA3EE6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I read a paper once where some professor had captured a zillion bugs 
with a zapper and counted them by species (this is why you have graduate 
students!).  Turned out something like 3% were mosquitoes.

Mike

On 7/5/2020 7:46 PM, Jim Franklin wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------DD956B46EF794B1218FA3EE6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">I read a paper once where some professor had
        captured a zillion bugs with a zapper and counted them by
        species (this is why you have graduate students!).  Turned out
        something like 3% were mosquitoes.  <br>
      </font></p>
    <p><font face="Tahoma">Mike</font><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 7/5/2020 7:46 PM, Jim Franklin
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">Can you get a screen for the door? There are magnetic ones that re-cling after you pass through.

jim

</pre>
      <blockquote type="cite">
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">On Jul 5, 2020, at 8:21 PM, Gene Abbondelo <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:[email-masked]">&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</a> wrote:

Thanks for any advice,

Gene 

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
      </blockquote>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">
_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------DD956B46EF794B1218FA3EE6--

--===============9114480392875152700==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9114480392875152700==--

---

From: DAVID MASSEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 11:45:53 +0000 (UTC)

--===============7984906625608527251==
	boundary="----=_Part_1233260_734481567.1594035953743"

------=_Part_1233260_734481567.1594035953743
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 If you have mosquitoes you have standing water somewhere.=C2=A0 They can b=
reed in as little as a cup of water but they can't breed in humidity alone.=
=C2=A0 I had a terrible mosquito problem.=C2=A0 I guessed it was from the d=
rain pipe from the driveway.=C2=A0 It was a corrugated plastic pipe and the=
re was not much pitch so I figured I had some low spots that retained water=
.
I dug this pipe up (about 20 ft) and replaced it with rigid PVC taking care=
 there was at least a little pitch all along the length.=C2=A0 This took ab=
out a weekend due to the fact that I am not as young as I used to be.But th=
e result is I see very few if any mosquitoes these days.=C2=A0 It was a fai=
r amount of work but well worth it.
So check for any drainage pipes and investigate.
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Gene Abbondelo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Jul 5, 2020 7:21 pm
Subject: [Shop-talk] Mosquito problem in Central Maryland

My garage is separated from my house and is in a shady area.=C2=A0 I have a=
 big problem with mosquitos in the garage as the area is humid and I'm gett=
ing eaten alive.
Any suggestions on getting rid of the problem.=C2=A0 Are there spray "bombs=
" that would work similar to the kind people use for flea problems or is th=
is a problem better left to a pest control company?
Thanks for any advice,
Gene=C2=A0_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/arch=
ive

[email-masked]

------=_Part_1233260_734481567.1594035953743
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div style="color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div> <font size="3">If you have mosquitoes you have standing water somewhere.&nbsp; They can breed in as little as a cup of water but they can't breed in humidity alone.&nbsp; I had a terrible mosquito problem.&nbsp; I guessed it was from the drain pipe from the driveway.&nbsp; It was a corrugated plastic pipe and there was not much pitch so I figured I had some low spots that retained water.</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">I dug this pipe up (about 20 ft) and replaced it with rigid PVC taking care there was at least a little pitch all along the length.&nbsp; This took about a weekend due to the fact that I am not as young as I used to be.But the result is I see very few if any mosquitoes these days.&nbsp; It was a fair amount of work but well worth it.</font></div>

<div><font size="3"><br>
</font></div>

<div><font size="3">So check for any drainage pipes and investigate.</font><br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave </font><br>
<br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Gene Abbondelo &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: [email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Sun, Jul 5, 2020 7:21 pm<br>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Mosquito problem in Central Maryland<br>
<br>

<div id="yiv3155816787">
<div dir="ltr">
<div>My garage is separated from my house and is in a shady area.&nbsp; I have a big problem with mosquitos in the garage as the area is humid and I'm getting eaten alive.</div>

<div><br>
</div>

<div>Any suggestions on getting rid of the problem.&nbsp; Are there spray "bombs" that would work similar to the kind people use for flea problems or is this a problem better left to a pest control company?</div>

<div><br>
</div>

<div>Thanks for any advice,</div>

<div><br>
</div>

<div>Gene&nbsp;</div>
</div>
</div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" target="_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk </a><a href="http://autox.team.net/archive" target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
<br>
</div>
</div>

------=_Part_1233260_734481567.1594035953743--

--===============7984906625608527251==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7984906625608527251==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 09:08:46 -0400 07/06/2020 09:08:48 AM, Serialize complete at 07/06/2020 09:08:48 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============2497971227301827913==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 004837258525859D_=

Old tires are another vector of mosquito breading, so make sure you don't 
have any of them.

If you have ponds or lakes on your property (or nearby) call the local ag 
extension office.  In my county, they put fish in any pond/lake (on a 
regular basis) that eat the larva for free.  Once they know about a body 
of water, them put the lake on a routine stocking schedule.

"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
-Who is John Galt?
--=_alternative 004837258525859D_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Old tires are another vector of mosquito
breading, so make sure you don't have any of them.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">If you have ponds or lakes on your property
(or nearby) call the local ag extension office. &nbsp;In my county, they
put fish in any pond/lake (on a regular basis) that eat the larva for free.
&nbsp;Once they know about a body of water, them put the lake on a routine
stocking schedule.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
--=_alternative 004837258525859D_=--

--===============2497971227301827913==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2497971227301827913==--

---

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 09:39:21 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5104616988067295965==
 boundary="------------268115B08D26245B0829DBBE"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------268115B08D26245B0829DBBE
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

What do the fish usually charge for eating larvae...?

EjR

On 7/6/2020 9:08 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> they put fish in any pond/lake that eat the larva for free.

--------------268115B08D26245B0829DBBE
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>What do the fish usually charge for eating larvae...?</p>
    <p>EjR <br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 7/6/2020 9:08 AM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">they
        put fish in any pond/lake that eat the larva for free. 
        <br>
      </font></blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------268115B08D26245B0829DBBE--

--===============5104616988067295965==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5104616988067295965==--

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 07:53:34 -0600

Too funny.  So I get home from work ( I work 10pm to 6 am), fuss about 
with stuff, and get to Team Net email.  Sandwiched between two of these 
shop-talk mosquito messages is a notice of an automatically deleted spam 
email, with the subject of

"Subject:  Get rid of mosquitos once and for all!"

Maybe they do know something about these bugs in West Bengal, India, 
where the spam originated.

mjb.

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: "Tony Vaccaro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 12:33:24 -0400

--===============7836720763439975305==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0204_01D65391.A467FCD0"
Content-Language: en-us

------=_NextPart_000_0204_01D65391.A467FCD0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

They do sell pieces of equipment that mimic a full size animal that =
attracts
mosquitos and kills them. They usually run a few hundred dollars to four
hundred dollars What they do is kill off the female population usually
within a =BC acre of the machine. I understand it works very well but I =
have
never bought one.

Do a search on Mosquito Magnet.

I am surprised no one has mentioned this already.

=20

Tony V

www.lotusowners.com <http://www.lotusowners.com>=20

www.lotusltd.com <http://www.lotusltd.com>=20

=20

=20

From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2020 9:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mosquito problem in Central Maryland

=20

Old tires are another vector of mosquito breading, so make sure you =
don't
have any of them.=20

If you have ponds or lakes on your property (or nearby) call the local =
ag
extension office.  In my county, they put fish in any pond/lake (on a
regular basis) that eat the larva for free.  Once they know about a body =
of
water, them put the lake on a routine stocking schedule.=20

"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a =
rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph =
Waldo
Emerson=20
-Who is John Galt?

------=_NextPart_000_0204_01D65391.A467FCD0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word =
15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>They do sell pieces of equipment that mimic a full =
size animal that attracts mosquitos and kills them. They usually run a =
few hundred dollars to four hundred dollars What they do is kill off the =
female population usually within a =BC acre of the machine. I understand =
it works very well but I have never bought one.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Do a search on Mosquito Magnet.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>I am surprised no one has mentioned this =
already.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Tony V<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><a =
href=3D"http://www.lotusowners.com">www.lotusowners.com</a><o:p></o:p></p=
><p class=3DMsoNormal><a =
href=3D"http://www.lotusltd.com">www.lotusltd.com</a><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><b>From:</b> =
Shop-talk &lt;[email-masked]&gt; <b>On Behalf Of =
</b>[email-masked]<br><b>Sent:</b> Monday, July 06, 2020 9:09 =
AM<br><b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br><b>Subject:</b> Re: =
[Shop-talk] Mosquito problem in Central Maryland<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Old tires are =
another vector of mosquito breading, so make sure you don't have any of =
them.</span> <br><br><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>If you have =
ponds or lakes on your property (or nearby) call the local ag extension =
office. &nbsp;In my county, they put fish in any pond/lake (on a regular =
basis) that eat the larva for free. &nbsp;Once they know about a body of =
water, them put the lake on a routine stocking schedule.</span> =
<br><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><br><br>&quot;B=
e as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational =
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; =
Ralph Waldo Emerson <br>-Who is John =
Galt?</span><o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0204_01D65391.A467FCD0--

--===============7836720763439975305==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7836720763439975305==--

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 15:21:08 -0400

--===============7151988664053303930==

--000000000000d619c305a9cac743
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I live in the woods in Northern Virginia, and we have similar issues with
mosquitoes.

I take great pains to disrupt their breeding cycle with Mosquito Dunks and
Mosquito Bits in any place that has standing water (rain barrels, downspout
drains, big puddle-prone areas, etc) and distributing around my yard a
bunch of "Mosquito Deleter" buckets. They are usually teeming with larvae,
so I know that they are at least attractive. Mosquitoes don't travel very
far from birth to death - not more than 150' - so if you can keep them from
breeding near where you are, you'll really reduce the quantity of those
pests. I also invested in a Flowtron Electronic Insect killer (aka an
"Indiscriminate Wildlife Slaughterer", per Wirecutter), which comes with
several Octenol attractants, which are good for mosquitoes found in the
northern US. I separately picked up Lurex3 attractants, which are good for
southern US (Asian Tiger) mosquitoes, and run both on the Flowtron. We're
close enough to the "border" that I just went with both types.

None of the solutions we're using are flawless, but I know they're making a
difference. The big thing I can recommend is to look for any places that
might have standing water around your property Gutters, stumps, drain
lines, bird baths, etc all can provide excellent breeding environments for
these bugs!

Links to what I have picked up. Obviously, no requirement you buy from
Amazon!

Mosquito Dunks:
https://www.amazon.com/Summit-responsible-solutions-555-Mosquito/dp/B0000AH=
849/
Mosquito Bits: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001AUF8G/

Mosquito Deleter: https://www.mymosquitodeleter.com/

Flowtron BK-40D Electronic Insect Killer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004R9VW/
Octenol attractant: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000063XHT/
Lurex3 attractant: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00281G1SY/

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 12:33 PM Tony Vaccaro <[email-masked]> wrote:

> They do sell pieces of equipment that mimic a full size animal that
> attracts mosquitos and kills them. They usually run a few hundred dollars
> to four hundred dollars What they do is kill off the female population
> usually within a =C2=BC acre of the machine. I understand it works very w=
ell but
> I have never bought one.
> www.lotusowners.com
> www.lotusltd.com
> *From:* Shop-talk <[email-masked]> *On Behalf Of *
> [email-masked]
> *Sent:* Monday, July 06, 2020 9:09 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* Re: [Shop-talk] Mosquito problem in Central Maryland
>
>
>
of
> water, them put the lake on a routine stocking schedule.
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000d619c305a9cac743
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I live in the woods in Northern Virginia, and we have simi=
lar issues with mosquitoes.=C2=A0<div><br></div><div>I take great pains to =
disrupt their breeding cycle with=C2=A0Mosquito Dunks and Mosquito Bits in =
any place that has standing water (rain barrels, downspout drains, big pudd=
le-prone areas, etc) and distributing around my yard a bunch of &quot;Mosqu=
ito Deleter&quot; buckets. They are usually teeming with larvae, so I know =
that they are at least attractive. Mosquitoes don&#39;t travel very far fro=
m birth to death - not more than 150&#39; - so if you can keep them from br=
eeding near where you are, you&#39;ll really reduce the quantity of those p=
ests. I also invested in a Flowtron Electronic Insect killer (aka an &quot;=
Indiscriminate Wildlife Slaughterer&quot;, per Wirecutter), which comes wit=
h several Octenol attractants, which are good for mosquitoes found in the n=
orthern=C2=A0US. I separately picked up Lurex3 attractants, which are good =
for southern US (Asian Tiger) mosquitoes, and run both on the Flowtron. We&=
#39;re close enough to the &quot;border&quot; that I just went with both ty=
pes.</div><div><br></div><div>None of the solutions we&#39;re using are fla=
wless, but I know they&#39;re making a difference. The big thing I can reco=
mmend is to look for any places that might have standing water around your =
property Gutters, stumps, drain lines, bird baths, etc all can provide exce=
llent breeding environments for these bugs!</div><div><br></div><div>Links =
to what I have picked up. Obviously, no requirement you buy from Amazon!=C2=
=A0</div><div><br></div><div>Mosquito Dunks:=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://www.am=
azon.com/Summit-responsible-solutions-555-Mosquito/dp/B0000AH849/">https://=
www.amazon.com/Summit-responsible-solutions-555-Mosquito/dp/B0000AH849/</a>=
</div><div>Mosquito Bits:=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://www.amazon.com/gp/product=
/B0001AUF8G/">https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001AUF8G/</a></div><div><=
br></div><div>Mosquito Deleter:=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://www.mymosquitodelet=
er.com/">https://www.mymosquitodeleter.com/</a></div><div><span class=3D"gm=
ail-a-size-large gmail-product-title-word-break" style=3D"color:rgb(17,17,1=
7);font-family:&quot;Amazon Ember&quot;,Arial,sans-serif;box-sizing:border-=
box;word-break:break-word;line-height:1.3"><font size=3D"2"><br></font></sp=
an></div><div><span id=3D"gmail-productTitle" class=3D"gmail-a-size-large g=
mail-product-title-word-break" style=3D"color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:&qu=
ot;Amazon Ember&quot;,Arial,sans-serif;box-sizing:border-box;word-break:bre=
ak-word;line-height:1.3"><font size=3D"2">Flowtron BK-40D Electronic Insect=
 Killer:</font>=C2=A0</span><a href=3D"https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0=
0004R9VW/">https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004R9VW/</a><br></div><div>=
Octenol attractant:=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000=
63XHT/">https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000063XHT/</a></div><div>Lurex3 =
attractant:=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00281G1SY/">=
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00281G1SY/</a><br></div><div><br></div><=
/div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">O=
n Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 12:33 PM Tony Vaccaro &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tvacc@lot=
usowners.com">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote cla=
ss=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid =
rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div lang=3D"EN-US"><div class=3D"gmail-=
m_5659821575403624541WordSection1"><p class=3D"MsoNormal">They do sell piec=
es of equipment that mimic a full size animal that attracts mosquitos and k=
ills them. They usually run a few hundred dollars to four hundred dollars W=
hat they do is kill off the female population usually within a =C2=BC acre =
of the machine. I understand it works very well but I have never bought one=
.<u></u><u></u></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">Do a search on Mosquito Magnet.<u=
></u><u></u></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">I am surprised no one has mentioned =
this already.<u></u><u></u></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><u></u>=C2=A0<u></u><=
/p><p class=3D"MsoNormal">Tony V<u></u><u></u></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><a=
 href=3D"http://www.lotusowners.com" target=3D"_blank">www.lotusowners.com<=
/a><u></u><u></u></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><a href=3D"http://www.lotusltd.=
com" target=3D"_blank">www.lotusltd.com</a><u></u><u></u></p><p class=3D"Ms=
oNormal"><u></u>=C2=A0<u></u></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><u></u>=C2=A0<u></u=
></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><b>From:</b> Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sh=
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]=
eam.net</a>&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a><br><b>Sent:</b> Monday, July 06, 2020=
 9:09 AM<br><b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=
=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a><br><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Shop-talk]=
 Mosquito problem in Central Maryland<u></u><u></u></p><p class=3D"MsoNorma=
l"><u></u>=C2=A0<u></u></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:=
10pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">Old tires are another vector of mosquito=
 breading, so make sure you don&#39;t have any of them.</span> <br><br><spa=
n style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">If you have ponds o=
r lakes on your property (or nearby) call the local ag extension office.=C2=
=A0 In my county, they put fish in any pond/lake (on a regular basis) that =
eat the larva for free.=C2=A0 Once they know about a body of water, them pu=
t the lake on a routine stocking schedule.</span> <br><span style=3D"font-s=
ize:10pt;font-family:Arial,sans-serif"><br><br>&quot;Be as beneficent as th=
e sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational being are trenched on, d=
ie on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph Waldo Emerson <br>-Who =
is John Galt?</span><u></u><u></u></p></div></div>_________________________=
______________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://aut=
ox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000d619c305a9cac743--

--===============7151988664053303930==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7151988664053303930==--