Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shipping a gearbox

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 09:26:54 -0400

--===============1139804994270556460==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_AC75AAF2-59A1-49B5-B960-2B5242F41C3B"

--Apple-Mail=_AC75AAF2-59A1-49B5-B960-2B5242F41C3B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

For starters I would ask the shipping company. They often have =
requirements for items of a certain weight, such as strapping it to a =
forklift-compatible pallet.=20

I have strapped motorcycle engines to pallets using eye bolts, taking =
care when I routed the straps around sharp edges. You could also use =
angle brackets to bolt it down using the existing mounting holes, if you =
use enough that a rotational torque won't break off the casting around =
the hole. It will be jostled a bunch, sometimes violently.=20

If it's small enough, you can't go wrong with a few blankets around the =
gearbox, then drop that inside a box in a box (repeat that until you're =
comfortable that it won't roll through the x number of cardboard =
"walls"). The tighter the better so it doesn't get a chance to build up =
momentum.

jim

> On Jun 2, 2020, at 9:02 AM, Neil Sherry <[email-masked]> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hi =E2=80=93 I am selling an MGB overdrive gearbox to Finland (from =
the UK) =E2=80=93 best deal I have found is with UPS Standard. Any =
suggestions on how to wrap it =E2=80=93 I am thinking I could empty the =
oil, wrap in plastic, strap it down to some =C2=BE=E2=80=9D plywood =E2=80=
=93 which would make it slide and not fall over =E2=80=93 but do I need =
to box it in? What have you done?
> Thanks
> Neil
> _______________________________________________
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html =
<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
<http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk> http://autox.team.net/archive =
<http://autox.team.net/archive>
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked] =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail=_AC75AAF2-59A1-49B5-B960-2B5242F41C3B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">For =
starters I would ask the shipping company. They often have requirements =
for items of a certain weight, such as strapping it to a =
forklift-compatible pallet.&nbsp;<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div=
 class=3D"">I have strapped motorcycle engines to pallets using eye =
bolts, taking care when I routed the straps around sharp edges. You =
could also use angle brackets to bolt it down using the existing =
mounting holes, if you use enough that a rotational torque won't break =
off the casting around the hole. It will be jostled a bunch, sometimes =
violently.&nbsp;</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">If it's small enough, you can't go wrong with a few blankets =
around the gearbox, then drop that inside a box in a box (repeat that =
until you're comfortable that it won't roll through the x number of =
cardboard "walls"). The tighter the better so it doesn't get a chance to =
build up momentum.</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">jim<br class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite"=
 class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Jun 2, 2020, at 9:02 AM, Neil Sherry =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><div =
class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><div style=3D"margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">Hi =E2=80=93=
 I am selling an MGB overdrive gearbox to Finland (from the UK) =E2=80=93 =
best deal I have found is with UPS Standard. Any suggestions on how to =
wrap it =E2=80=93 I am thinking I could empty the oil, wrap in plastic, =
strap it down to some =C2=BE=E2=80=9D plywood =E2=80=93 which would make =
it slide and not fall over =E2=80=93 but do I need to box it in? What =
have you done?<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0cm 0cm =
0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" =
class=3D"">Thanks<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0cm =
0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" =
class=3D"">Neil<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div></div><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">_______________________________________________</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; =
white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D""><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; =
white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench=
.org" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbe=
nch.org</a></div></blockquote></div><br class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_AC75AAF2-59A1-49B5-B960-2B5242F41C3B--

--===============1139804994270556460==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============1139804994270556460==--

---

From: Robert Rochlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 09:36:26 -0400

--===============2090623769884279818==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_1A4404C3-8B3D-440A-88C5-E84ADBFCDEF3"

--Apple-Mail=_1A4404C3-8B3D-440A-88C5-E84ADBFCDEF3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

	When I shipped my od gearbox (I used FedEx) I built a wooden =
crate around the gearbox from 1X2s and 3/8 plywood bolting the gearbox =
to the crate.  I used that crate several times and never had any damage. =
 It added some weight to the shipping, but the sold protection was worth =
it.
	Best,
	Bob

> On Jun 2, 2020, at 9:26 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> =
>=20
> If it's small enough, you can't go wrong with a few blankets around =
the gearbox, then drop that inside a box in a box (repeat that until =
you're comfortable that it won't roll through the x number of cardboard =
"walls"). The tighter the better so it doesn't get a chance to build up =
momentum.
>=20
> jim
>=20
>> On Jun 2, 2020, at 9:02 AM, Neil Sherry <[email-masked] =
>>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
http://autox.team.net/archive
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail=_1A4404C3-8B3D-440A-88C5-E84ADBFCDEF3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D""><span=
 class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"white-space:pre">	</span>When I =
shipped my od gearbox (I used FedEx) I built a wooden crate around the =
gearbox from 1X2s and 3/8 plywood bolting the gearbox to the crate. =
&nbsp;I used that crate several times and never had any damage. &nbsp;It =
added some weight to the shipping, but the sold protection was worth =
it.<div class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-tab-span" =
style=3D"white-space:pre">	</span>Best,</div><div class=3D""><span =
class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"white-space:pre">	</span>Bob<br =
class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Jun 2, 2020, at 9:26 AM, Jim Franklin &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><meta =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" =
class=3D""><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: =
space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">For starters I would =
ask the shipping company. They often have requirements for items of a =
certain weight, such as strapping it to a forklift-compatible =
pallet.&nbsp;<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">I have =
strapped motorcycle engines to pallets using eye bolts, taking care when =
I routed the straps around sharp edges. You could also use angle =
brackets to bolt it down using the existing mounting holes, if you use =
enough that a rotational torque won't break off the casting around the =
hole. It will be jostled a bunch, sometimes violently.&nbsp;</div><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">If it's small enough, =
you can't go wrong with a few blankets around the gearbox, then drop =
that inside a box in a box (repeat that until you're comfortable that it =
won't roll through the x number of cardboard "walls"). The tighter the =
better so it doesn't get a chance to build up momentum.</div><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">jim<br class=3D""><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Jun 2, 2020, at 9:02 AM, Neil Sherry &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><div =
class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;"><div style=3D"margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; =
font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" class=3D"">Hi =E2=80=93=
 I am selling an MGB overdrive gearbox to Finland (from the UK) =E2=80=93 =
best deal I have found is with UPS Standard. Any suggestions on how to =
wrap it =E2=80=93 I am thinking I could empty the oil, wrap in plastic, =
strap it down to some =C2=BE=E2=80=9D plywood =E2=80=93 which would make =
it slide and not fall over =E2=80=93 but do I need to box it in? What =
have you done?<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0cm 0cm =
0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" =
class=3D"">Thanks<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div><div style=3D"margin: 0cm =
0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;" =
class=3D"">Neil<o:p class=3D""></o:p></div></div><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">_______________________________________________</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, =
0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Donate:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; =
white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96</span><br =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Archive:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><span =
style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D""><span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br style=3D"caret-color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; =
white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><br style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none;" class=3D""><span style=3D"caret-color: rgb(0, 0, =
0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; =
text-decoration: none; float: none; display: inline !important;" =
class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage:<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span></span><a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench=
.org" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 14px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbe=
nch.org</a></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></div>_______________________________________________<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D"">Donate: =
&nbsp;$12.96<br class=3D"">Archive: =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_1A4404C3-8B3D-440A-88C5-E84ADBFCDEF3--

--===============2090623769884279818==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2090623769884279818==--

---

From: Eric Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 09:43:35 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8180907641214033531==
 boundary="------------D7C5EF7C852B185CE068CEF2"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------D7C5EF7C852B185CE068CEF2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I shipped an MGA gearbox from North Carolina to Idaho using a Fastenal 
truck. I attached it to a pallet (used, available for free). For 
shipping overseas, I'd build a box over it. The pallet makes it easier 
for the shipper to move it.

On 6/2/2020 9:02 AM, Neil Sherry wrote:
>
> Hi – I am selling an MGB overdrive gearbox to Finland (from the UK) – 
> best deal I have found is with UPS Standard. Any suggestions on how to 
> wrap it – I am thinking I could empty the oil, wrap in plastic, strap 
> it down to some ¾” plywood – which would make it slide and not fall 
> over – but do I need to box it in? What have you done?
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil
>
-- 
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

--------------D7C5EF7C852B185CE068CEF2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>I shipped an MGA gearbox from North Carolina to Idaho using a
      Fastenal truck. I attached it to a pallet (used, available for
      free). For shipping overseas, I'd build a box over it. The pallet
      makes it easier for the shipper to move it. <br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 6/2/2020 9:02 AM, Neil Sherry wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered
        medium)">
      <style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
      <div class="WordSection1">
        <p class="MsoNormal">Hi – I am selling an MGB overdrive gearbox
          to Finland (from the UK) – best deal I have found is with UPS
          Standard. Any suggestions on how to wrap it – I am thinking I
          could empty the oil, wrap in plastic, strap it down to some ¾”
          plywood – which would make it slide and not fall over – but do
          I need to box it in? What have you done?<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Thanks<o:p></o:p></p>
        <p class="MsoNormal">Neil<o:p></o:p></p>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC </pre>
  </body>
</html>

--------------D7C5EF7C852B185CE068CEF2--

--===============8180907641214033531==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8180907641214033531==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 10:14:12 -0400 06/02/2020 10:14:14 AM, Serialize complete at 06/02/2020 10:14:14 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============6467734371700647974==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 004E35658525857B_=

>Neil ask about shipping a gearbox.

I'm not sure what size you are talking about, but here are some ideas.

Anything over 75 or 80 lbs should be palletized.  You can make a pallet 
just larger than the unit.

I simple way to do it is to find a hard sized box (wood or metal.)  then 
bolt the gearbox to the pallet and the box. Go from the bottom of the top 
layer of the pallet, through the box's floor, and into mount points on the 
gearbox.

I hope this makes sense.  I would also cut out some cardboard pryrminds to 
tape to the top so then don't stack other items on top.

Let me know if you have any other quesitons.

Thanks

Mule

"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
-Who is John Galt?

--=_alternative 004E35658525857B_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">&gt;Neil ask about shipping a gearbox.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I'm not sure what size you are talking
about, but here are some ideas.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Anything over 75 or 80 lbs should be
palletized. &nbsp;You can make a pallet just larger than the unit.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I simple way to do it is to find a hard
sized box (wood or metal.) &nbsp;then bolt the gearbox to the pallet and
the box. Go from the bottom of the top layer of the pallet, through the
box's floor, and into mount points on the gearbox.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I hope this makes sense. &nbsp;I would
also cut out some cardboard pryrminds to tape to the top so then don't
stack other items on top.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Let me know if you have any other quesitons.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
Thanks</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Mule</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
<br>
--=_alternative 004E35658525857B_=--

--===============6467734371700647974==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6467734371700647974==--

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 11:17:33 -0400

--===============0160054177177269324==

--000000000000cdc13805a71b6911

Regarding pallet size:  If it's too small to grab with a fork lift or
pallet jack, you're going to incite some harsh language.  Just sayin'...

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 10:14 AM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000cdc13805a71b6911
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Regarding pallet size:=C2=A0 If it&#39;s too small to grab=
 with a fork lift or pallet jack, you&#39;re going to incite some harsh lan=
guage.=C2=A0 Just sayin&#39;...</div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div di=
r=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 10:14 AM &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><bl=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-lef=
t:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><font size=3D"2" face=3D"san=
s-serif">&gt;Neil ask about shipping a gearbox.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">I&#39;m not sure what size you are=
 talking
about, but here are some ideas.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Anything over 75 or 80 lbs should =
be
palletized.=C2=A0 You can make a pallet just larger than the unit.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">I simple way to do it is to find a=
 hard
sized box (wood or metal.) =C2=A0then bolt the gearbox to the pallet and
the box. Go from the bottom of the top layer of the pallet, through the
box&#39;s floor, and into mount points on the gearbox.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">I hope this makes sense.=C2=A0 I w=
ould
also cut out some cardboard pryrminds to tape to the top so then don&#39;t
stack other items on top.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Let me know if you have any other =
quesitons.</font>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif"><br>
Thanks</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Mule</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif"><br>
<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a ratio=
nal
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
<br>_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000cdc13805a71b6911--

--===============0160054177177269324==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0160054177177269324==--

---

From: [email-masked] EPnWPFD6dcfppYZDjpf8rpc7WYs3uTAf+EQx11RCWruW30V9tK8tKoGrg1/hEUUnIDLxTTyhqt9mjw==
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 10:15:10 +0100

--===============5185099157255801143==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

------TVGWRRK88JAIUKW5J7CMID3F62PPPD
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Thanks for these comments - I ended up crating it - used some 3/4 plywood t=
o make a base, top and two ends, connected with 2" angle iron bolted throug=
h and some thinner ply for the sides=2E Gearbox bolted to end (four boots i=
n bellhousing) and rear mount bolted to base=2E Finally a pair of 4x2's for=
 feet so it can be forked=2E Came in just under 70kg=2E
Neil

On 2 June 2020 16:17:33 BST, Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail=2Ecom> wrote=
:
>pallet jack, you're going to incite some harsh language=2E  Just
>sayin'=2E=2E=2E
>
>On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 10:14 AM <eric@megageek=2Ecom> wrote:
>
>> >Neil ask about shipping a gearbox=2E
>>
>> I'm not sure what size you are talking about, but here are some
>ideas=2E
>>
>> Anything over 75 or 80 lbs should be palletized=2E  You can make a
>pallet
>> just larger than the unit=2E
>>
>> I simple way to do it is to find a hard sized box (wood or metal=2E)=20
>then
>> bolt the gearbox to the pallet and the box=2E Go from the bottom of the
>top
>> gearbox=2E
>> I hope this makes sense=2E  I would also cut out some cardboard
>pryrminds to
>> tape to the top so then don't stack other items on top=2E
>>
>> Let me know if you have any other quesitons=2E
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mule
>>
>>
>>
>> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory=2E"
>Ralph
>> Waldo Emerson
>> -Who is John Galt?
>> Shop-talk@autox=2Eteam=2Enet
>> Donate: http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml
>> Suggested annual donation  $12=2E96
>> Archive: http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/shop-talk
>> http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/archive
>>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>> http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/options/shop-talk/fishplate@gmail=2Ec=
om

--=20
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E
------TVGWRRK88JAIUKW5J7CMID3F62PPPD
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body>Thanks for these comments - I ended up crating it =
- used some 3/4 plywood to make a base, top and two ends, connected with 2"=
 angle iron bolted through and some thinner ply for the sides=2E Gearbox bo=
lted to end (four boots in bellhousing) and rear mount bolted to base=2E Fi=
nally a pair of 4x2's for feet so it can be forked=2E Came in just under 70=
kg=2E<br>Neil<br><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 2 June 2020 16:17:33 BST=
, Jeff Scarbrough &lt;fishplate@gmail=2Ecom&gt; wrote:<blockquote class=3D"=
gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; border-left: 1px solid r=
gb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<div dir=3D"ltr">Regarding pallet size:&nbsp; If it's too small to grab wi=
th a fork lift or pallet jack, you're going to incite some harsh language=
=2E&nbsp; Just sayin'=2E=2E=2E</div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=
=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 10:14 AM &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:eric@megageek=2Ecom">eric@megageek=2Ecom</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div=
><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0=2E8ex;bord=
er-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><font size=3D"2" face=
=3D"sans-serif">&gt;Neil ask about shipping a gearbox=2E</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">I'm not sure what size you are ta=
lking
about, but here are some ideas=2E</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Anything over 75 or 80 lbs should=
 be
palletized=2E&nbsp; You can make a pallet just larger than the unit=2E</fo=
nt>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">I simple way to do it is to find =
a hard
sized box (wood or metal=2E) &nbsp;then bolt the gearbox to the pallet and
the box=2E Go from the bottom of the top layer of the pallet, through the
box's floor, and into mount points on the gearbox=2E</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">I hope this makes sense=2E&nbsp; =
I would
also cut out some cardboard pryrminds to tape to the top so then don't
stack other items on top=2E</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Let me know if you have any other=
 quesitons=2E</font>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif"><br>
Thanks</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Mule</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif"><br>
<br>
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory=2E" Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
<br>_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox=2Eteam=2Enet" target=3D"_blank">Shop-tal=
k@autox=2Eteam=2Enet</a><br>
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/shop-talk</a>=
 <a href=3D"http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/archive</a><br>
<br>
hop-talk/fishplate@gmail=2Ecom" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/options/shop-talk/fishplate@gmail=2Ecom</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>
</blockquote></div><br>-- <br>Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E=
 Please excuse my brevity=2E</body></html>
------TVGWRRK88JAIUKW5J7CMID3F62PPPD--

--===============5185099157255801143==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5185099157255801143==--