Subject: [Shop-talk] websites question and plastic automotive body clips rant

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 08:43:08 -0400 06/16/2020 08:43:09 AM, Serialize complete at 06/16/2020 08:43:09 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============2014546509671830260==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 0045DE6285258589_=

Hello all,

QUESTION-
I just finished an extensive 6 week restore of a 2003 F350 with a large 
dump bed.  For a work truck, it looks awesome!  I wanted to share some of 
the photos and story on a web page, I was hoping that someone knows of a 
good format for the web page (or template) for a project like this.  I 
don't want to just have a web page that is a mile long to scroll down, nor 
do I want a 100 clicks to see the content.  Anyone know of a website were 
someone put together a good looking page to describe a project like this? 
I run my own web server, so I don't need a space like wix to host it, and 
I'm not above 'borrowing' code.  8>)

RANT-
What is the deal with these plastic body clips?  I mean, I understand that 
they are cheap and help assemble cars fast, I'm on board with that. But 
why do they need a million different types for 2 basic functions in only 
about 3 sizes?  Seriously, I was trying to replace the broken clips on 
this truck, and it's a nightmare! Flipping through well designed books at 
the local NAPA, I saw that almost all these clips are 1 of maybe 2 or 3 
sizes.  They ether hold 2 pieces together in a straight through fashion, 
or they are for a blind install. I ended up just buying a bunch of what 
they had lying around and using whatever one fit and it was fine. My only 
guess is that each auto company "patents" their clips so no one else can 
use them. I think I'm going to make a 'universal' clip and stop this 
nonsense. It does make me long for the older cars with screws!  RANT OFF.

Mule

"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
-Who is John Galt?
--=_alternative 0045DE6285258589_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Hello all,</font>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">QUESTION-</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I just finished an extensive 6 week
restore of a 2003 F350 with a large dump bed. &nbsp;For a work truck, it
looks awesome! &nbsp;I wanted to share some of the photos and story on
a web page, I was hoping that someone knows of a good format for the web
page (or template) for a project like this. &nbsp;I don't want to just
have a web page that is a mile long to scroll down, nor do I want a 100
clicks to see the content. &nbsp;Anyone know of a website were someone
put together a good looking page to describe a project like this? I run
my own web server, so I don't need a space like wix to host it, and I'm
not above 'borrowing' code. &nbsp;8&gt;)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">RANT-</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">What is the deal with these plastic
body clips? &nbsp;I mean, I understand that they are cheap and help assemble
cars fast, I'm on board with that. But why do they need a million different
types for 2 basic functions in only about 3 sizes? &nbsp;Seriously, I was
trying to replace the broken clips on this truck, and it's a nightmare!
Flipping through well designed books at the local NAPA, I saw that almost
all these clips are 1 of maybe 2 or 3 sizes. &nbsp;They ether hold 2 pieces
together in a straight through fashion, or they are for a blind install.
I ended up just buying a bunch of what they had lying around and using
whatever one fit and it was fine. My only guess is that each auto company
&quot;patents&quot; their clips so no one else can use them. I think I'm
going to make a 'universal' clip and stop this nonsense. It does make me
long for the older cars with screws! &nbsp;RANT OFF.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Mule</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
--=_alternative 0045DE6285258589_=--

--===============2014546509671830260==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============2014546509671830260==--

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 14:30:48 -0400

--===============3402663438500932681==

--0000000000007ef3d405a84bdcb0

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:24 AM <[email-masked]> wrote:

>   Anyone know of a website were someone put together a good looking page
> to describe a project like this? I run my own web server, so I don't need a
> space like wix to host it, and I'm not above 'borrowing' code.  8>)
>
>
If you run your own server, I assume you have some familiarity with HTML..
When I've done pages like that, I set all my pictures in a subfolder, and
create thumbnails that go in the folder with the page index file.  Display
the thumbnails in a table in the left column and explanatory text in the
right column, and link the thumbnails to the full-size photo.  Se, for
instance, http://fishplate.org/vehicles/spitfire/FM72xxx/

> RANT-
> What is the deal with these plastic body clips?

Possibly, some are "legacy" parts - something that keeps getting used year
after year, even as new clips must be designed for other uses (to become
legacies themselves...)

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

--0000000000007ef3d405a84bdcb0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">=
<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:24 AM &lt;=
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></=
div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bor=
der-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><font size=3D"2" face=
=3D"sans-serif">=C2=A0 Anyone know of a website were someone
put together a good looking page to describe a project like this? I run
my own web server, so I don&#39;t need a space like wix to host it, and I&#=
39;m
not above &#39;borrowing&#39; code. =C2=A08&gt;)</font>
<br>
<br></blockquote><div><br></div><div>If you run your own server, I assume y=
ou have some familiarity with HTML.. When I&#39;ve done pages like that, I =
set all my pictures in a subfolder, and create thumbnails that go in the fo=
lder with the page index file.=C2=A0 Display the thumbnails in a table in t=
he left column and explanatory text in the right column, and link the thumb=
nails to the full-size photo.=C2=A0 Se, for instance,=C2=A0<a href=3D"http:=
//fishplate.org/vehicles/spitfire/FM72xxx/">http://fishplate.org/vehicles/s=
pitfire/FM72xxx/</a></div><div><br></div><div>=C2=A0</div><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rg=
b(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">RANT-=
</font>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">What is the deal with these plasti=
c
body clips? </font></blockquote><div><br></div><div>Possibly, some are &quo=
t;legacy&quot; parts - something that keeps getting used year after year, e=
ven as new clips must be designed for other uses (to become legacies themse=
lves...)</div><div><br></div><div>Jeff Scarbrough</div><div>Corrosion Acres=
, Ga.=C2=A0</div></div></div>

--0000000000007ef3d405a84bdcb0--

--===============3402663438500932681==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3402663438500932681==--