Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Favorite tools

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 07:55:43 -0400 06/01/2020 07:55:46 AM, Serialize complete at 06/01/2020 07:55:46 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============8540246347020445325==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 004187AF8525857A_=

OD,

Thanks for sharing the tire tool experiences.

I purchased their 'no mar' bar and used it with a Harbor Freight tire 
changer for years, until I finally just bought a automatic tire changer 
and balancer combo.

I am glad I bought them.  The money is hard to justify as it will take 
over a hundred tire changes to pay for itself, but I really like it.

While doing the restore on my dually F350, I found out that my inner tire 
was cut from my last scrap yard run.  With the changer being so easy to 
use, I removed the tire, checked out the damage, and tried to patch it. 
Total time, about 15 mins.  Without the changer, I don't think I would 
have tried to do a dually tire on my manual one, so I would have been at 
the mercy of just buying a new tire and paying the price.

I look forward to your tool reviews.  I may add one or two.

"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
-Who is John Galt?
--=_alternative 004187AF8525857A_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">OD,</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Thanks for sharing the tire tool experiences.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
I purchased their 'no mar' bar and used it with a Harbor Freight tire changer
for years, until I finally just bought a automatic tire changer and balancer
combo.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I am glad I bought them. &nbsp;The money
is hard to justify as it will take over a hundred tire changes to pay for
itself, but I really like it.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">While doing the restore on my dually
F350, I found out that my inner tire was cut from my last scrap yard run.
&nbsp;With the changer being so easy to use, I removed the tire, checked
out the damage, and tried to patch it. &nbsp;Total time, about 15 mins.
&nbsp;Without the changer, I don't think I would have tried to do a dually
tire on my manual one, so I would have been at the mercy of just buying
a new tire and paying the price.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I look forward to your tool reviews.
&nbsp;I may add one or two.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
--=_alternative 004187AF8525857A_=--

--===============8540246347020445325==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============8540246347020445325==--

---

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 06:01:28 -0700

--===============3022478949465364721==

--0000000000003e4e9705a7056380

Hi Eric,

Yes, your comment:

               I am glad I bought them.  The money is hard to justify as it
will take over a hundred tire changes to pay for itself, but I really like
it.

Hits to the heart of this discussion. Over the decades I have changed
scores of tires on the floor with tire irons because in my mind I was being
smarter for not spending hundreds of dollars for something that I could do
"for free" with the tools I had.

I wish I had been better to myself all those years. I really enjoy using
high-quality tools. Using good tools improves the quality of the shop
experience.

Some of you may have read *Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance: an inquiry into values*, 1974, Bantam Book. If not, I would
suggest it, particularly if you are not a motorcyclist.

He states, to the effect, that (my paraphrase) We should not rush through
the maintenance process, that we learn about ourselves during the process.
The process has value. We should enjoy the act of maintenance

I believe it, and using high quality tools for the process greatly enhances
the experience.

best,

doug

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 4:55 AM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> changer for years, until I finally just bought a automatic tire changer and
> balancer combo.
>
> Total time, about 15 mins.  Without the changer, I don't think I would have
> tried to do a dually tire on my manual one, so I would have been at the
> mercy of just buying a new tire and paying the price.
>

--0000000000003e4e9705a7056380
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Hi Eric,<div><br></div><div>Yes, your comment:</div><div><=
br></div><div><span style=3D"font-family:sans-serif">=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 </span><font face=3D"times new roman, serif">=
=C2=A0I am glad I bought them.=C2=A0 The money is hard to justify as it wil=
l take over a hundred tire changes to pay for itself, but I really like it<=
/font><span style=3D"font-family:sans-serif">.</span>=C2=A0=C2=A0<br></div>=
<div><br></div><div>Hits to the heart of this discussion. Over the decades =
I have changed scores of tires on the floor with tire irons because in my m=
ind I was being smarter for not spending hundreds of dollars for something =
that I could do &quot;for free&quot; with the tools I had.</div><div><br></=
div><div>I wish I had been better to myself all those=C2=A0years. I really =
enjoy using high-quality tools. Using good tools improves the quality of th=
e shop experience.</div><div><br></div><div>Some of you may have read <i><b=
>Pirsig&#39;s Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: an inquiry into va=
lues</b></i>, 1974, Bantam Book. If not, I would suggest it, particularly i=
f you are not a motorcyclist.=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div>He states, to =
the effect, that (my paraphrase) We should not rush through the maintenance=
 process, that we learn about ourselves during the process. The process has=
 value. We should enjoy the act of maintenance</div><div><br></div><div>I b=
elieve it, and using high quality tools for the process greatly enhances th=
e experience.</div><div><br></div><div>best,</div><div><br></div><div>doug<=
/div><div><br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" c=
lass=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 4:55 AM &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:er=
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></di=
v><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;borde=
r-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><font size=3D"2" face=
=3D"sans-serif">OD,</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Thanks for sharing the tire tool e=
xperiences.</font>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif"><br>
I purchased their &#39;no mar&#39; bar and used it with a Harbor Freight ti=
re changer
for years, until I finally just bought a automatic tire changer and balance=
r
combo.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">I am glad I bought them.=C2=A0 The=
 money
is hard to justify as it will take over a hundred tire changes to pay for
itself, but I really like it.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">While doing the restore on my dual=
ly
F350, I found out that my inner tire was cut from my last scrap yard run.
=C2=A0With the changer being so easy to use, I removed the tire, checked
out the damage, and tried to patch it.=C2=A0 Total time, about 15 mins.
=C2=A0Without the changer, I don&#39;t think I would have tried to do a dua=
lly
tire on my manual one, so I would have been at the mercy of just buying
a new tire and paying the price.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">I look forward to your tool review=
s.
=C2=A0I may add one or two.</font>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif"><br>
<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a ratio=
nal
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font></blockquote></div>

--0000000000003e4e9705a7056380--

--===============3022478949465364721==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3022478949465364721==--

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 18:38:56 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------7D626AC868810F2E6DA33C8C
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

And now for something completely unexpected!  Well, if you are one of my 
Facebook friends, no real surprise.  One passion of mine is cooking.  
And appreciation of proper tools for the job is present in all endeavors.

That eggbeater is most likely older than many folks on this list. I 
wouldn't be surprised if Karen's grandmother got it from her 
grandmother.  And it can make a batch of whipped cream that is head and 
shoulders above anything my electric mixer can do.

The potato masher is no doubt more modern, probably dating from late 
Fifties or early Sixties.  It has one job, to mash potatoes. And that it 
can do.  But when I'm doing say, 10 pounds of taters for one of Karen's 
church functions, I dig out the Kitchenaid.  I may be crazy, but I'm not 
stupid!

mjb.

--------------7D626AC868810F2E6DA33C8C
 name="beater.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="beater.jpg"

--------------7D626AC868810F2E6DA33C8C
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--------------7D626AC868810F2E6DA33C8C--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 09:56:41 -0400 06/02/2020 09:56:42 AM, Serialize complete at 06/02/2020 09:56:42 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============0250199425938519459==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 004C9AC28525857B_=

>Mjb writes about 2 favorite kitchen tools.

I want to share an experance. I HATE to cook.  Being a 49 year old 
bachelor, you would think that I would have gotten over that by now, but 
NO.

Then, in an auction lot I purchased for my store, there were some brand 
new high end (real high end) pots and pans.  I needed a new frying pan as 
the "as seen on TV copper pan" I was using was garbage.  So I took the 
frying pan and tried it.

It made AWESOME eggs.  They were so good, I started to try to cook other 
things. Now, I still hate to cook, but I don't mind it AS much if I'm 
using that pan.

That pan has seen a lot of use over the past year since I got it, and I'm 
pretty protective of it.

Funny how a tool can change us.

--=_alternative 004C9AC28525857B_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">&gt;Mjb writes about 2 favorite kitchen
tools.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
I want to share an experance. I HATE to cook. &nbsp;Being a 49 year old
bachelor, you would think that I would have gotten over that by now, but
NO.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Then, in an auction lot I purchased
for my store, there were some brand new high end (real high end) pots and
pans. &nbsp;I needed a new frying pan as the &quot;as seen on TV copper
pan&quot; I was using was garbage. &nbsp;So I took the frying pan and tried
it.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">It made AWESOME eggs. &nbsp;They were
so good, I started to try to cook other things. Now, I still hate to cook,
but I don't mind it AS much if I'm using that pan.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">That pan has seen a lot of use over
the past year since I got it, and I'm pretty protective of it.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Funny how a tool can change us.</font>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
<br>
--=_alternative 004C9AC28525857B_=--

--===============0250199425938519459==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0250199425938519459==--