Subject: [Shop-talk] Tool shed foundation?

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 08:32:11 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------B3558D2AC84B8FDC32DD75B0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

First off. I'll inform you that I had Comcast, my service provider, 
switch out my old cable modem for a faster, wifi enabled unit.  At the 
moment I *think* Team Net is still working as usual, no service 
disruption.  We shall see.

Okay, now that the man behind the curtain stuff is out of the way I am 
planning getting a plastic garden shed. I'm looking at one big enough to 
hold the lawnmover, weed whackers, rakes, etc. Basically all the garden 
stuff that is taking up valuable space in the garage. I need the room to 
actually get some work done on my cars.

It's only 7 feet wide and 4 feet deep.  It comes with a plastic slab as 
the floor.  What do you think, can I just scrape a space in the dirt 
that is fairly level and call it good?  Or go all the way and have a 
small, say 8 x 5 concrete slab professionally poured as a foundation?  
That will likely cost more than the shed!

mjb.

--------------B3558D2AC84B8FDC32DD75B0
 name="044365026343.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="044365026343.jpg"

--------------B3558D2AC84B8FDC32DD75B0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--------------B3558D2AC84B8FDC32DD75B0--

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]> iMn/FcWdXOBUxRHaO05rIY8rRtAycFfW50UEajl6c9BB3cnc3Y/9ECkvdVCrkxETsoXY5Ja8gaifjBiUXqCD8R21fz1VUmzp5tM=
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 12:19:48 -0400

--===============4858910812336742636==
	boundary="=====================_12937974==.ALT"

--=====================_12937974==.ALT
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

At 10:32 AM 6/11/2020, you wrote:

 >Okay, now that the man behind the curtain stuff 
is out of the way I am planning
 >getting a plastic garden shed.....

 >It's only 7 feet wide and 4 feet deep.=C2  It comes with a plastic slab a=
s the
 >floor. What do you think, can I just scrape a 
space in the dirt that is fairly level
 >and call it good? Or go all the way and have a 
small, say 8 x 5 concrete slab
 >professionally poured as a foundation? That 
will likely cost more than the shed!

Mark,

As to the concrete slab, I don't know what the 
regulations are where you live.  Here in Virginia 
Beach, there are a couple of regulations that apply.

1.  If you put down a slab, it's considered a 
permanent structure.  Consiquently,
you will need a building permit.

2. If you get a permit, you will have to worry about:
       a. how far it is from your property lines
       b. what percentage of you "green" area is covered.  This can be a sh=
ow
           stopper, especially if you have a pool, and or a deck.

3. As someone pointed out, does it get standing water & very soggy where yo=
u
     plan on putting the shed?

When I erected my vinyl shed, I put it in the back corner of my yard.
Unfortunately, we'd get standing water there.  So 
I used some garden timbers and
made an enclosure slightly larger than the base 
of my shed.  Then I filled it with
crush-n-run (gravel) and topped it off with dirt 
and a vapor barrier.  Then I used
solid cynder block for the floor.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan
Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

-- 
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--=====================_12937974==.ALT
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<body>
<font size=3D3>At 10:32 AM 6/11/2020, you wrote:<br><br>
&gt;Okay, now that the man behind the curtain stuff is out of the way I
am planning<br>
&gt;getting a plastic garden shed.....<br><br>
&gt;It's only 7 feet wide and 4 feet deep.=C2&nbsp; It comes with a plastic=

slab as the <br>
&gt;floor. What do you think, can I just scrape a space in the dirt that
is fairly level <br>
&gt;and call it good? Or go all the way and have a small, say 8 x 5
concrete slab <br>
&gt;professionally poured as a foundation? That will likely cost more
than the shed!<br><br>
Mark,<br><br>
As to the concrete slab, I don't know what the regulations are where you
live.&nbsp; Here in Virginia Beach, there are a couple of regulations
that apply.<br><br>
1.&nbsp; If you put down a slab, it's considered a permanent
structure.&nbsp; Consiquently,<br>
you will need a building permit.&nbsp; <br><br>
2. If you get a permit, you will have to worry about:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; a. how far it is from your property
lines<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; b. what percentage of you
&quot;green&quot; area is covered.&nbsp; This can be a show <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; stopper,
especially if you have a pool, and or a deck.<br><br>
3. As someone pointed out, does it get standing water &amp; very soggy
where you <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; plan on putting the shed?<br><br>
When I erected my vinyl shed, I put it in the back corner of my
yard.&nbsp; <br>
Unfortunately, we'd get standing water there.&nbsp; So I used some garden
timbers and<br>
made an enclosure slightly larger than the base of my shed.&nbsp; Then I
filled it with<br>
crush-n-run (gravel) and topped it off with dirt and a vapor
barrier.&nbsp; Then I used<br>
solid cynder block for the floor.<br><br>
John<br><br>
</font><div id=3D"DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2">
<br /><br />
<hr style=3D'border:none; color:#909090; background-color:#B0B0B0; height: =
1px; width: 99%;' />
<table style=3D'border-collapse:collapse;border:none;'>
	<tr>
		<td style=3D'border:none;padding:0px 15px 0px 8px'>
			<a href=3D"https://www.avast.com/antivirus">
				<img border=3D0 src=3D"https://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp=
=2Epng" alt=3D"Avast logo" />
			</a>
		</td>
		<td>
			<p style=3D'color:#3d4d5a; font-family:"Calibri","Verdana","Arial","Helv=
etica"; font-size:12pt;'>
				This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
				<br><a href=3D"https://www.avast.com/antivirus">www.avast.com</a>
			</p>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table>
<br />
<a href=3D"#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width=3D"1" height=3D"1">=
 </a></div></body>
<br>
<div>John T. Blair&nbsp; WA4OHZ&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email:&nbsp;
[email-masked]</div>
<div>Va. Beach,
Va&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Phone:&nbsp; (757) 495-8229</div>
<br>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48
TR1800&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48 #4 Midget&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 65 Morgan 4/4
Series V (B1106)</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
77 Spitfire&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 71 Saab Sonett III</div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
65 Rambler Classic</div>
<br>
<div>Morgan:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href=3D"http://www.team.net/morgan" EUDORA=3DAUTOURL>
www.team.net/morgan</a></div>
<div>Bricklin:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href=3D"http://www.bricklin.org/" EUDORA=3DAUTOURL>www.bricklin.org</a>
</div>
<br>
<div>If you can read
this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;
- Thank a teacher!</div>
<div>If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!</div>
<br>
<div> From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e pluribus Unum, &quot;from many,
one.&quot;</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In God We Trust</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Liberty - the&nbsp; power&nbsp; of&nbsp;
choosing,&nbsp; thinking,&nbsp; and&nbsp; acting&nbsp; for&nbsp; </div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
oneself; freedom&nbsp; from&nbsp; control&nbsp; or&nbsp;
restriction&nbsp; </div>
<br>
<br>
</html>

--=====================_12937974==.ALT--

--===============4858910812336742636==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4858910812336742636==--