Subject: [Shop-talk] Tools of the day - motorcycle lifts

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 13:28:51 -0700

--===============8095168082659869618==

--00000000000003b88c05a75c1b4c

Hi guys,

Since I primarily am a motorcycle person and have several old bikes to keep
running, I have spent many years kneeling on concrete trying to access some
lower portion of the bikes. Much like the tire changer and getting the work
up to waist level, getting the motorcycle up in the air saves a great deal
of kneeling on concrete and bending over for hours at a time.

Another issue for me is vision now is wearing reading glasses for
everything up close. They are a real pain when your head is lower than your
body, etc.

A couple years ago I bought a US-made Handy S.A.M.1,200 lb. pneumatic lift.
It has an excellent wheel clamp that will not contact 320mm front disk
rotors, thick powder-coated steel bed, lifts to about 40" or 42" inches
high, grease zerks on all bearing surfaces, a "trap door" for removing a
wheel, a nice, rugged foot pedal for controlling the lift, a full-width
ramp for loading and unloading bikes, and has an airbag lifting mechanism
instead of a pneumatic cylinder (faster lift and less maintenance).

I am attaching a link to a photo of it in action:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=446D39C8B1E43758&id=446D39C8B1E43758%21166815&parId=446D39C8B1E43758%21166807&o=OneUp

I am showing it with a light race bike but it is stout enough for large
Harleys.

It is so much easier on the back and so much better for the eyes in finding
leaks or working underneath the engine, etc. I am a better
motorcycle mechanic because of the lift. I also enjoy the work much more.

I should have bought one 20 or 30 years ago...

best,

doug

--00000000000003b88c05a75c1b4c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Hi guys,<div><br></div><div>Since I primarily am a motorcy=
cle person and have several old bikes to keep running, I have spent many ye=
ars kneeling on concrete trying to access some lower portion of the bikes. =
Much like the tire changer and getting the work up to waist level, getting =
the motorcycle up in the air saves a great deal of kneeling on concrete and=
 bending over for hours at a time.</div><div><br></div><div>Another issue f=
or me is vision now is wearing reading=C2=A0glasses for everything up close=
. They are a real pain when your head is lower than your body, etc.</div><d=
iv><br></div><div>A couple years ago I bought a US-made Handy S.A.M.1,200 l=
b. pneumatic lift. It has an excellent wheel clamp that will not contact 32=
0mm front disk rotors, thick powder-coated steel bed, lifts to about 40&quo=
t; or 42&quot; inches high, grease zerks on all bearing surfaces, a &quot;t=
rap door&quot; for removing a wheel, a nice, rugged foot pedal for controll=
ing the lift, a full-width ramp for loading and unloading bikes, and has an=
 airbag lifting mechanism instead of a pneumatic cylinder (faster lift and =
less maintenance).</div><div><br></div><div>I am attaching a link to a phot=
o of it in action:</div><div><a href=3D"https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3D44=
6D39C8B1E43758&amp;id=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166815&amp;parId=3D446D39C8B1E43=
758%21166807&amp;o=3DOneUp" target=3D"_blank">https://onedrive.live.com/?ci=
d=3D446D39C8B1E43758&amp;id=3D446D39C8B1E43758%21166815&amp;parId=3D446D39C=
8B1E43758%21166807&amp;o=3DOneUp</a>=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div>I am sh=
owing it with a light race bike but it is stout enough for large Harleys.<b=
r></div><div><br></div><div>It is so much easier on the back and so much be=
tter for the eyes in finding leaks or working underneath the engine, etc. I=
 am a better motorcycle=C2=A0mechanic because of the lift. I also enjoy the=
 work much more.</div><div><br></div><div>I should have bought one 20 or 30=
 years ago...</div><div><br></div><div>best,</div><div><br></div><div>doug<=
/div><div><br></div></div>

--00000000000003b88c05a75c1b4c--

--===============8095168082659869618==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============8095168082659869618==--