Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop air line pressure

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 14:17:06 -0500

--===============1714056379540236273==

--000000000000a3a3fd05a6f6884f

AFAIK, all tools have a recommended range they're designed to work at. I've
always had a regulator at each connection. These days many tools have them
built-in.

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 2:08 PM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Quick question,
>
> I think that my cheapie HF tools are failing because my air lne presure is
> too high (about 135 psi for the whole shop.)
>
> Do you guys keep all the lines at 90 psi, or something else?  I have a
> monster compressor and I keep one line at 90spi (when I use my nailers) but
> I never had a problem before with the other tools failing.
>
> What do you guys run your air hammers/die grinders/impact guns/etc at?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson
> -Who is John Galt? _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000a3a3fd05a6f6884f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">AFAIK, all tools have a recommended range they&#39;re desi=
gned to work at. I&#39;ve always had a regulator at each connection. These =
days many tools have them built-in.</div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><di=
v dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 2:08 PM &lt;<a h=
ref=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div>=
<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-=
left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><span style=3D"font-size:=
10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Quick question,</span>
<br>
<br><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">I think that my
cheapie HF tools are failing because my air lne presure is too high (about
135 psi for the whole shop.)</span>
<br>
<br><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Do you guys keep
all the lines at 90 psi, or something else?=C2=A0 I have a monster compress=
or
and I keep one line at 90spi (when I use my nailers) but I never had a
problem before with the other tools failing.</span>
<br>
<br><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">What do you guys
run your air hammers/die grinders/impact guns/etc at?</span>
<br>
<br><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Thanks.</span>
<br><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a ratio=
nal
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</span>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox=
.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000a3a3fd05a6f6884f--

--===============1714056379540236273==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============1714056379540236273==--

---

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 13:04:11 -0700

--===============3698622751138263328==

--00000000000028318505a6f72d6e

I used to run my airlines all at 125 psi as it provided snappy performance,
but I had hose reel fittings (the rotating style) start to leak. Once I
replaced most of them, I used  a pretty good 1/2" regulator to set the
lines to 75 psi and have not had any problems.

I think that most all air tools call for a 90 psi max running pressure
(e.g., Aircat, IR, etc.).

75 psi works fine for most things, and if I need to boost it for a
sandblaster or or something, I do it on the exception basis.

best,

doug

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 12:18 PM Ronnie Day <[email-masked]> wrote:

> AFAIK, all tools have a recommended range they're designed to work at.
> I've always had a regulator at each connection. These days many tools have
> them built-in.
>
>> I think that my cheapie HF tools are failing because my air lne presure
>> is too high (about 135 psi for the whole shop.)
>>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--00000000000028318505a6f72d6e
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I used to run my airlines all at 125 psi as it provided sn=
appy performance, but I had hose reel fittings (the rotating style) start t=
o leak. Once I replaced most of them, I used=C2=A0 a pretty good 1/2&quot; =
regulator to set the lines to 75 psi and have not had any problems.<div><br=
></div><div>I think that most all air tools call for a 90 psi max running p=
ressure (e.g., Aircat, IR, etc.).=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div>75 psi wor=
ks fine for most things, and if I need to boost it for a sandblaster or or =
something, I do it on the exception basis.</div><div><br></div><div>best,</=
div><div><br></div><div>doug</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div=
 dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 12:18 PM Ronnie D=
ay &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">ronnie.day=
@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">AFAIK, all tools have a recommended range they&=
#39;re designed to work at. I&#39;ve always had a regulator at each connect=
ion. These days many tools have them built-in.</div><br><div class=3D"gmail=
_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 2:08 =
PM &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">eric@megageek=
.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"mar=
gin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1=
ex"><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Quick question,</=
span>
<br>
<br><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">I think that my
cheapie HF tools are failing because my air lne presure is too high (about
135 psi for the whole shop.)</span>
<br>
<br><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Do you guys keep
all the lines at 90 psi, or something else?=C2=A0 I have a monster compress=
or
and I keep one line at 90spi (when I use my nailers) but I never had a
problem before with the other tools failing.</span>
<br>
<br><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">What do you guys
run your air hammers/die grinders/impact guns/etc at?</span>
<br>
<br><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Thanks.</span>
<br><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a ratio=
nal
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</span>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox=
.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000028318505a6f72d6e--

--===============3698622751138263328==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3698622751138263328==--

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 14:11:01 -0600

On 5/31/20 1:07 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Quick question,
>
> I think that my cheapie HF tools are failing because my air lne 
> presure is too high (about 135 psi for the whole shop.)

One explanation for your cheapie HF tools failing is they are cheapie HF 
tools.  Meticulously hand crafted from the finest Chinese dung-forged steel.

Back when I was renting a 30 x 30 foot shop to work on various Triumph 
projects, I had a big filter first in line from the compressor output.  
It put out about 175 psi at full chat.  The filter was followed by a tee 
with the leg basically unused, the run went to a regulator set to 120 
psi.  That was enough for most tools.  If something needed more I'd plug 
it into the tee before the regulator to get the max available pressure 
to it.

mjb.

[email-masked]

utox.team.net

---

From: RONALD GRIFFING <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 16:15:20 -0700 (PDT)

--===============5774565090973413889==
	boundary="----=_Part_45694_1082825460.1590966920949"

------=_Part_45694_1082825460.1590966920949
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

As I recall, most HF tools are rated at 90 psi. That is what I run mine at with an oil fogger at the wall drop.

> On May 31, 2020 at 12:07 PM [email-masked] wrote:
> 
>     Quick question,
> 
>     I think that my cheapie HF tools are failing because my air lne presure is too high (about 135 psi for the whole shop.)
> 
>     Do you guys keep all the lines at 90 psi, or something else?  I have a monster compressor and I keep one line at 90spi (when I use my nailers) but I never had a problem before with the other tools failing.
> 
>     "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
>     Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> 
> 

------=_Part_45694_1082825460.1590966920949
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html>
<html>
 <head> 
  <meta charset="UTF-8"> 
 </head>
 <body>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   As I recall, most HF tools are rated at 90 psi. That is what I run mine at with an oil fogger at the wall drop.
  </div>
  <blockquote type="cite">
   On May 31, 2020 at 12:07 PM [email-masked] wrote: 
   <br> 
   <br> 
   <span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: sans-serif;">Quick question,</span> 
   <br> 
   <br> 
   <span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: sans-serif;">I think that my cheapie HF tools are failing because my air lne presure is too high (about 135 psi for the whole shop.)</span> 
   <br> 
   <br> 
   <span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: sans-serif;">Do you guys keep all the lines at 90 psi, or something else? &nbsp;I have a monster compressor and I keep one line at 90spi (when I use my nailers) but I never had a problem before with the other tools failing.</span> 
   <br> 
   <br> 
   <span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: sans-serif;">What do you guys run your air hammers/die grinders/impact guns/etc at?</span> 
   <br> 
   <br> 
   <span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: sans-serif;">Thanks.</span> 
   <br> 
   <span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: sans-serif;"><br> <br> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson <br> -Who is John Galt?</span> _______________________________________________ 
   <br> 
   <br>[email-masked] 
   <br>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html 
   <br>Suggested annual donation $12.96 
   <br>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive 
   <br> 
   <br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked] 
   <br> 
   <br>
  </blockquote>
  <div style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;" class="default-style">
   <br>&nbsp;
  </div> 
 </body>
</html>
------=_Part_45694_1082825460.1590966920949--

--===============5774565090973413889==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5774565090973413889==--

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 18:23:12 -0500

--===============5572542772778447939==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-0BA5710D-E1F1-4A08-897D-0E72BF578A9C
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-0BA5710D-E1F1-4A08-897D-0E72BF578A9C
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

> On May 31, 2020, at 14:07, [email-masked] wrote:
>=20
> Quick question,=20
>=20
> I think that my cheapie HF tools are failing because my air lne presure is=
 too high (about 135 psi for the whole shop.)=20
>=20
> Do you guys keep all the lines at 90 psi, or something else?  I have a mon=
ster compressor and I keep one line at 90spi (when I use my nailers) but I n=
ever had a problem before with the other tools failing.=20

The generally preferred practice is to have lines at storage pressure, with a=
 regulator at each take off. Provides a small amount of storage, and higher f=
low rate at the outlets.   Also better for acomidating tools with different d=
emands.  =20=

--Apple-Mail-0BA5710D-E1F1-4A08-897D-0E72BF578A9C
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div dir="ltr"></div><div dir="ltr"><br></div><div dir="ltr"><br>On May 31, 2020, at 14:07, <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> wrote:<br><br></div><blockquote type="cite"><div dir="ltr"><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Quick question,</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">I think that my
cheapie HF tools are failing because my air lne presure is too high (about
135 psi for the whole shop.)</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Do you guys keep
all the lines at 90 psi, or something else? &nbsp;I have a monster compressor
and I keep one line at 90spi (when I use my nailers) but I never had a
problem before with the other tools failing.</span>
<br></div></blockquote><div><br></div>The generally preferred practice is to have lines at storage pressure, with a regulator at each take off. Provides a small amount of storage, and higher flow rate at the outlets. &nbsp; Also better for acomidating tools with different demands. &nbsp;&nbsp;</body></html>
--Apple-Mail-0BA5710D-E1F1-4A08-897D-0E72BF578A9C--

--===============5572542772778447939==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5572542772778447939==--