Subject: [Shop-talk] The road goes on forever, the plumbing never ends

From: Mark J Bradakis via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 14:57:03 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------CFBFCF6E02B848286D73A3CF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I may not be that handsome, but I'm fairly handy around the house.  
Kitchen sink drain clogged up again.  It has been a continual problem.  
Basically it involves about 15 feet of drain pipe that has about a 
quarter inch drop over the run.  Well, maybe more than that, but not 
much more.  I made it a lot easier many years ago by putting in a T 
fitting in a spot easy to get to, so I no longer need to snake the 
entire length by taking apart the pipes at the sink.

The drain pipe is 2" internal diameter.  The corkscrew on the end of the 
snake might be 3/8" in diameter. It bores a pretty small hole in the 
gunk clogging the pipe, so it doesn't take long to clog again.  I don't 
think there are any small, handhelp drain snakes with really big tips on 
them, capable of cleaning the entire inside diameter of the pipe.  I 
have seen these at the hardware stores made for bigger, heavier 
machines.  Not something I want to hold head high while working on the 
drain.

I was thinking maybe I could fab up a steel rod.  One end would have a 
hole the size of the snake coil, the other end a slot with a grub screw 
to fit the Brass Craft ends.  Seems simple.  I wonder it the snake coil 
is weldable, or at least brazable?  I'd hate to have it fail by breaking 
off as soon as any force is applied, i. e. the cutter hits the clog.  
Having a chunk of steel lodged a few feet into the pipe would make 
subsequent snaking problematic. Would my plan work?

Such fun having to clean drains right after the falling tree mess and 
the muffler blowing out on my Blazer.  Does May, or for that matter 2020 
have a reset - do over button?

mjb.

--------------CFBFCF6E02B848286D73A3CF
 name="20200516_140525.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="20200516_140525.jpg"

--------------CFBFCF6E02B848286D73A3CF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--------------CFBFCF6E02B848286D73A3CF--