Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Well blow me down!

From: Mark J Bradakis via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 10:53:34 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------0BCCA0FB955746CC6130D0B2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

And this summer I was planning to refurbish my old barrel smoker, using 
my various air powered sanders and painting stuff.  Once the tree crew 
gets done I'll have to see just how badly it is damaged, decide whether 
to fix or replace.

You know, I could get a nice Traeger for about the same amount of money 
I was going to spend on attending the 2020 Kastner Cup in Ohio next 
month.  Hmmm...

mjb.

--------------0BCCA0FB955746CC6130D0B2
 name="20200512_104443.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
 filename="20200512_104443.jpg"

--------------0BCCA0FB955746CC6130D0B2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--------------0BCCA0FB955746CC6130D0B2--

---

From: Brian Kemp via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 16:58:58 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1842094781683549343==
 boundary="------------B2985449B6567A2404BACA59"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------B2985449B6567A2404BACA59
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

The Harbor Freight corded pole chain saw that is coupon special for 
$60-70 is actually pretty good for getting branches up to about 8". I 
have about 15 hours on it with no problems other than many of my trees 
are too big and tall sometimes.  Very nice to cut high stuff from the 
ground.  I did watch a county fire crew go to work on a tree that fell 
across the road with some Sthil gas powered pole saws and am a bit 
envious, but at $650, they were a bit pricey for my wallet.

You can get an ok corded chainsaw for about $50.  If you are always near 
a plug and not doing a lot of heavy cutting, it will get you buy and you 
don't have to worry about mixing and storing gas/oil.
Sample: 
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homelite-14-in-9-Amp-Electric-Chainsaw-UT43104/202723256

For irregularly used gas chainsaws, I'm a big fan of a product like 
TruFuel, especially with the bad gas we have in California.  I may go up 
to a year between uses and my regular gas chain saw always starts and 
runs fine

Brian

On 5/12/2020 9:33 AM, Mark J Bradakis via Shop-talk wrote:
> This is not what I wanted to happen.  Had some very gusty winds 
> yesterday, half of our boxelder is no longer attached to the other 
> half.  Didn't do any serious damage to Killer or the garage, as far as 
> I can tell so far.  After some quick work with my cordless 
> reciprocating saw there is at least a pathway to the garage. Still 
> some big limbs putting pressure on my internet cable.
>
> It didn't take long for the work ro wear me out.  I had been thinking 
> of getting an electric chainsaw, amazing how disasters can always seem 
> to provide an excuse for acquiring another tool. But I think I'll hold 
> off, and just let professional tree trimmers do the rest of the work.  
> And hope that no big wind gusts disturb the fallen branches and have 
> them take out my, and Team Net's, network connection.
>
> mjb.
>
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------B2985449B6567A2404BACA59
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    The Harbor Freight corded pole chain saw that is coupon special for
    $60-70 is actually pretty good for getting branches up to about 8". 
    I have about 15 hours on it with no problems other than many of my
    trees are too big and tall sometimes.  Very nice to cut high stuff
    from the ground.  I did watch a county fire crew go to work on a
    tree that fell across the road with some Sthil gas powered pole saws
    and am a bit envious, but at $650, they were a bit pricey for my
    wallet.<br>
    <br>
    You can get an ok corded chainsaw for about $50.  If you are always
    near a plug and not doing a lot of heavy cutting, it will get you
    buy and you don't have to worry about mixing and storing gas/oil.<br>
    Sample:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homelite-14-in-9-Amp-Electric-Chainsaw-UT43104/202723256">https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homelite-14-in-9-Amp-Electric-Chainsaw-UT43104/202723256</a><br>
    <br>
    For irregularly used gas chainsaws, I'm a big fan of a product like
    TruFuel, especially with the bad gas we have in California.  I may
    go up to a year between uses and my regular gas chain saw always
    starts and runs fine<br>
    <br>
    Brian<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/12/2020 9:33 AM, Mark J Bradakis
      via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">This
      is not what I wanted to happen.  Had some very gusty winds
      yesterday, half of our boxelder is no longer attached to the other
      half.  Didn't do any serious damage to Killer or the garage, as
      far as I can tell so far.  After some quick work with my cordless
      reciprocating saw there is at least a pathway to the garage. Still
      some big limbs putting pressure on my internet cable.
      <br>
      <br>
      It didn't take long for the work ro wear me out.  I had been
      thinking of getting an electric chainsaw, amazing how disasters
      can always seem to provide an excuse for acquiring another tool.
      But I think I'll hold off, and just let professional tree trimmers
      do the rest of the work.  And hope that no big wind gusts disturb
      the fallen branches and have them take out my, and Team Net's,
      network connection.
      <br>
      <br>
      mjb.
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------B2985449B6567A2404BACA59--

--===============1842094781683549343==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1842094781683549343==--

---

From: eric--- via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 06:03:04 -0400 05/13/2020 06:03:06 AM, Serialize complete at 05/13/2020 06:03:06 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============6947329038602764996==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 0037371B85258567_=

Ah, Chainsaws, a topic I actually know something about.

The new crop of battery operated chain saws are very impressive. Note, 
they are ideal for 'limbing' a tree (taking apart when it's down on the 
ground.)  You can move around a tree and the saw is not turning or 
anything.  Then, press the button, cut the limb, and the saw stops again. 
They use a great trick to be more efficient at cutting.  Their blades and 
kerfs are about half of a gas saw's.  This means they have to cut less 
wood to do the same job.  It mean less sawdust as well.  (Note, modern 
vacuum cleaners do this also.  They have narrower pickup area, so the same 
size motor is effectively more powerful in a smaller area.)

I am a dewalt man, so I bought the dewalt one...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBVCQ4W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

It works and runs great.  BUT, if you weren't already in Dewalt battery 
land, I think the Milwaukee chainsaw is a little heavier duty.  It has two 
bar nuts where the dewalt's flaw is it 'toolless' single bolt set up. It's 
great for homeowners that don't really push the saw, but I had problems 
with it when the bar gets a little bit of sawdust in the bar grove.  It's 
easy to fix, but it requires a quick chain removal.

For what you are talking about, I think you'll find an electric chainsaw 
to be the cat's meow!  No gas, no pull start, you get to buy another tool, 
and then you can get other tools now that you have the batteries.

Dewalt does have batteries in 30V, 60V and 120V and the can share 
batteries!

"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
-Who is John Galt?
--=_alternative 0037371B85258567_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Ah, Chainsaws, a topic I actually know
something about.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">The new crop of battery operated chain
saws are very impressive. Note, they are ideal for 'limbing' a tree (taking
apart when it's down on the ground.) &nbsp;You can move around a tree and
the saw is not turning or anything. &nbsp;Then, press the button, cut the
limb, and the saw stops again. They use a great trick to be more efficient
at cutting. &nbsp;Their blades and kerfs are about half of a gas saw's.
&nbsp;This means they have to cut less wood to do the same job. &nbsp;It
mean less sawdust as well. &nbsp;(Note, modern vacuum cleaners do this
also. &nbsp;They have narrower pickup area, so the same size motor is effectively
more powerful in a smaller area.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I am a dewalt man, so I bought the dewalt
one...</font>
<br>
<br><a href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBVCQ4W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1"><font size=3 color=blue><u>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBVCQ4W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1</u></font></a><font size=3>
</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">It works and runs great. &nbsp;BUT,
if you weren't already in Dewalt battery land, I think the Milwaukee chainsaw
is a little heavier duty. &nbsp;It has two bar nuts where the dewalt's
flaw is it 'toolless' single bolt set up. &nbsp;It's great for homeowners
that don't really push the saw, but I had problems with it when the bar
gets a little bit of sawdust in the bar grove. &nbsp;It's easy to fix,
but it requires a quick chain removal.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">For what you are talking about, I think
you'll find an electric chainsaw to be the cat's meow! &nbsp;No gas, no
pull start, you get to buy another tool, and then you can get other tools
now that you have the batteries.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Dewalt does have batteries in 30V, 60V
and 120V and the can share batteries!</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
--=_alternative 0037371B85258567_=--

--===============6947329038602764996==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6947329038602764996==--