Subject: [Shop-talk] Router

From: Al Fuller via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2020 17:35:55 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============0400173436604658646==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_05F9_01D609DE.550F15D0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_05F9_01D609DE.550F15D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi Tim - what are your requirements? 

Wi-Fi? 5MHz in addition to 2.4? or Wired only? 

Battery backup?

How many ports does it need to support?

Guest network required?

VLANs required?

QoS required or desired?

Other?

Aside from all those basics, I would recommend a vendor that makes it easy
to change the default credentials, and other security processes. Something
that automatically updates itself would be great, too.

As noted by others, many ISPs offer to rent you a combination cable modem
and router. You have the right to purchase your own qualifying cable modem
[if cable is how you get your internet], and avoid paying the monthly fee.

----------------

All the best,

Al Fuller

------=_NextPart_000_05F9_01D609DE.550F15D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Hi Tim &#8211; what are your requirements? =
<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Wi-Fi? 5MHz in addition to 2.4? or Wired only? =
<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Battery backup?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>How many ports does it need to =
support?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Guest network =
required?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>VLANs =
required?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>QoS required or =
desired?<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Other?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Aside from =
all those basics, I would recommend a vendor that makes it easy to =
change the default credentials, and other security processes. Something =
that automatically updates itself would be great, too.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>As noted by =
others, many ISPs offer to rent you a combination cable modem and =
router. You have the right to purchase your own qualifying cable modem =
[if cable is how you get your internet], and avoid paying the monthly =
fee.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>----------------<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>All the best,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Al =
Fuller<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_05F9_01D609DE.550F15D0--

--===============0400173436604658646==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============0400173436604658646==--