Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] solar battery maintainer

From: Robert Nogueirao via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 14:37:44 -0500

Thanks guys, for the good advise and insight.  Removing the battery is out as it is factory mounted under the seat, which requires removing the seat to access, and removing the seat requires removing the the interior panels ( what that about German engineering? ).
My basic problem is the the battery is a small Lawn mower size battery needed  to fit in the hole for the battery, while the starter is a Dynastart which means no gear reduction between the started motor and engine, so it take a big draw to get it to turn the engine. if the battery is fully charged no problem, but if it is down just a bit you get one shot at starting then just solenoid clicks.  This is compounded by the fact that after starting the starter motor switch to being a generator alas a poor one at maybe 10 amps. So the solar charger-maintainer looks to be  my only practical option.
Again that’s for the insights and advise.
Bob   ( not quite as odd as his cars)

> On Apr 6, 2020, at 12:27 AM, rwil--- via Shop-talk <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> expensive.  
> 
> A check of purchasers' ratings can sometimes give you an idea if a
> particular panel tends to overcharge unless it is disconnected at the
> right time.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: neiljsherry--- via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 22:17:43 +0100

--===============1125984845670399823==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

------AGQBJ62JFFQPPDZFWQAVTLCEA9HGK0
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Could you have an external battery for jump starting and use the quick conn=
ector as used on race cars, suitably concealed?

On 6 April 2020 20:37:44 BST, Robert Nogueirao via Shop-talk <shop-talk@au=
tox=2Eteam=2Enet> wrote:
>Thanks guys, for the good advise and insight=2E  Removing the battery is
>out as it is factory mounted under the seat, which requires removing
>the seat to access, and removing the seat requires removing the the
>interior panels ( what that about German engineering? )=2E
>My basic problem is the the battery is a small Lawn mower size battery
>needed  to fit in the hole for the battery, while the starter is a
>Dynastart which means no gear reduction between the started motor and
>engine, so it take a big draw to get it to turn the engine=2E if the
>battery is fully charged no problem, but if it is down just a bit you
>get one shot at starting then just solenoid clicks=2E  This is compounded
>by the fact that after starting the starter motor switch to being a
>generator alas a poor one at maybe 10 amps=2E So the solar
>charger-maintainer looks to be  my only practical option=2E
>Again that=E2=80=99s for the insights and advise=2E
>> On Apr 6, 2020, at 12:27 AM, rwil--- via Shop-talk
><shop-talk@autox=2Eteam=2Enet> wrote:
>>=20
>> expensive=2E =20
>>=20
>> right time=2E
>Shop-talk@autox=2Eteam=2Enet
>Donate: http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml
>Suggested annual donation  $12=2E96
>Archive: http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/shop-talk
>http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/archive
>
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
>http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/options/shop-talk/neiljsherry@talktalk=
=2Enet

--=20
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E
------AGQBJ62JFFQPPDZFWQAVTLCEA9HGK0
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body>Could you have an external battery for jump starti=
ng and use the quick connector as used on race cars, suitably concealed?<br=
><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 6 April 2020 20:37:44 BST, Robert Noguei=
rao via Shop-talk &lt;shop-talk@autox=2Eteam=2Enet&gt; wrote:<blockquote cl=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; border-left: 1px =
solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<pre class=3D"k9mail">Thanks guys, for the good advise and insight=2E  Rem=
oving the battery is out as it is factory mounted under the seat, which req=
uires removing the seat to access, and removing the seat requires removing =
the the interior panels ( what that about German engineering? )=2E<br>My ba=
sic problem is the the battery is a small Lawn mower size battery needed  t=
o fit in the hole for the battery, while the starter is a Dynastart which m=
eans no gear reduction between the started motor and engine, so it take a b=
ig draw to get it to turn the engine=2E if the battery is fully charged no =
problem, but if it is down just a bit you get one shot at starting then jus=
t solenoid clicks=2E  This is compounded by the fact that after starting th=
e starter motor switch to being a generator alas a poor one at maybe 10 amp=
s=2E So the solar charger-maintainer looks to be  my only practical option=
=2E<br>Again that=E2=80=99s for the insights and advise=2E<br>Bob   ( not q=
uite as odd as his cars)<br><br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"=
margin: 0pt 0pt 1ex 0=2E8ex; border-left: 1px solid #729fcf; padding-left: =
1ex;">On Apr 6, 2020, at 12:27 AM, rwil--- via Shop-talk &lt;shop-talk@auto=
x=2Eteam=2Enet&gt; wrote:<br><br>expensive=2E  <br><br>A check of purchaser=
s' ratings can sometimes give you an idea if a<br>particular panel tends to=
 overcharge unless it is disconnected at the<br>right time=2E<br></blockquo=
te><hr>Shop-talk@autox=2Eteam=2Enet<br>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www=2Eteam=
=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml">http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/donate=2Ehtml</a><br>Suggeste=
d annual donation  $12=2E96<br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/=
pipermail/shop-talk">http://www=2Eteam=2Enet/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a hre=
f=3D"http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/archive">http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/archive</=
a><br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mailman/=
options/shop-talk/neiljsherry@talktalk=2Enet">http://autox=2Eteam=2Enet/mai=
lman/options/shop-talk/neiljsherry@talktalk=2Enet</a><br><br></pre></blockq=
uote></div><br>-- <br>Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please e=
xcuse my brevity=2E</body></html>
------AGQBJ62JFFQPPDZFWQAVTLCEA9HGK0--

--===============1125984845670399823==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1125984845670399823==--

---

From: David Scheidt via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 16:29:14 -0500

> On Apr 6, 2020, at 14:37, Robert Nogueirao via Shop-talk <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Can you get power to the building? A 120v 20a feeder can buried 12” deep if it has gfci protection. That would let you use a regular maintainer. 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jack Brooks via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 00:37:57 +0000

Bob,

How about a battery disconnect switch?  The battery will hold a charge for most of the winter without a load.  Before you start it up, get a charger out there and top it off.  My Triumphs are in the garage all winter where I have power, but this is what I do.  They are always above 12v after 3-4 months of sitting with a cable disconnected. 

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Robert Nogueirao via Shop-talk
Sent: Monday, April 6, 2020 12:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] solar battery maintainer

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]