Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Re-adhering ceramic tiles?

From: Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 22:36:38 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8527526932829050755==
 boundary="------------7EE7A7B0CC6920EF902295DF"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------7EE7A7B0CC6920EF902295DF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Have you addressed the underlying cause of the movement?  Were 
load-bearing structures compromised or weight limits exceeded by the 
remodel?

On 2020-03-29 13:40, Jim Franklin via Shop-talk wrote:
> My house settled after a major remodel and some 12x24 ceramic tiles have popped up along a line. But only one side of them. If I try and pry them up it's clear they're on a slight hump and only one side of the hump let go. They only move enough to keep cracking the grout and make a hollow sound if I tap on them- maybe 1/16 of an inch.
>
> Is there a product that will get in there through the grout channels that will stabilize the tiles? I'd rather not go through doing it the right way of lifting the whole tile and laying it as a new one.
>
> thanks,
> jim
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------7EE7A7B0CC6920EF902295DF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Have you addressed the underlying cause
      of the movement?  Were load-bearing structures compromised or
      weight limits exceeded by the remodel?<br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 2020-03-29 13:40, Jim Franklin via
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">My house settled after a major remodel and some 12x24 ceramic tiles have popped up along a line. But only one side of them. If I try and pry them up it's clear they're on a slight hump and only one side of the hump let go. They only move enough to keep cracking the grout and make a hollow sound if I tap on them- maybe 1/16 of an inch. 

Is there a product that will get in there through the grout channels that will stabilize the tiles? I'd rather not go through doing it the right way of lifting the whole tile and laying it as a new one. 

thanks,
jim</pre>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <p><br>
    </p>
  </body>
</html>

--------------7EE7A7B0CC6920EF902295DF--

--===============8527526932829050755==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============8527526932829050755==--

---

From: Jim Franklin via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 07:23:31 -0400

--===============0097086400851335177==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_9611C9D6-B99E-42ED-9747-E9F8C388FA7E";
	protocol="application/pkcs7-signature";
	micalg=sha1

--Apple-Mail=_9611C9D6-B99E-42ED-9747-E9F8C388FA7E
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_417B94C1-A546-468A-9CAE-81F98E67BC20"

--Apple-Mail=_417B94C1-A546-468A-9CAE-81F98E67BC20
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

No, there was so much that happened at once, it's impossible to tell. =
It's definitely not a load issue though; the house is a simple =
split-entry rectangle with the 1st floor on slab and the 2nd floor =
joists running between the long foundation walls and a central girder. =
And I don't remember when the tile went in compared to the work below. =
But the bathroom also has some loose tiles so I think it's a mortar or =
adhesion issue more than too much movement in the house. The tiles are =
cheap ones from Lowe's, maybe $2 each, so mabybe the underside had =
adhesion issues? I did backbutter them.=20

jim

> On Mar 29, 2020, at 10:36 PM, Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk =
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> Have you addressed the underlying cause of the movement?  Were =
load-bearing structures compromised or weight limits exceeded by the =
remodel?
>=20
>> My house settled after a major remodel and some 12x24 ceramic tiles =
have popped up along a line. But only one side of them. If I try and pry =
them up it's clear they're on a slight hump and only one side of the =
hump let go. They only move enough to keep cracking the grout and make a =
hollow sound if I tap on them- maybe 1/16 of an inch.=20
>>=20
>> Is there a product that will get in there through the grout channels =
that will stabilize the tiles? I'd rather not go through doing it the =
right way of lifting the whole tile and laying it as a new one.=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html =
<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
<http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk> http://autox.team.net/archive =
<http://autox.team.net/archive>
>>=20
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/mayfield+shoptalk@sackhead=
s.org =
<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/mayfield+shoptalk@sackhea=
ds.org>
>>=20
>=20
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
http://autox.team.net/archive
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_417B94C1-A546-468A-9CAE-81F98E67BC20
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">No, =
there was so much that happened at once, it's impossible to tell. It's =
definitely not a load issue though; the house is a simple split-entry =
rectangle with the 1st floor on slab and the 2nd floor joists running =
between the long foundation walls and a central girder. And I don't =
remember when the tile went in compared to the work below. But the =
bathroom also has some loose tiles so I think it's a mortar or adhesion =
issue more than too much movement in the house. The tiles are cheap ones =
from Lowe's, maybe $2 each, so mabybe the underside had adhesion issues? =
I did backbutter them.&nbsp;<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">jim<br class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite"=
 class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Mar 29, 2020, at 10:36 PM, Jimmie =
Mayfield via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D"">
 =20
    <meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html;
      charset=3Dwindows-1252" class=3D"">
 =20
  <div class=3D"">
    <div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">Have you addressed the underlying =
cause
      of the movement?&nbsp; Were load-bearing structures compromised or
      weight limits exceeded by the remodel?<br class=3D"">
    </div>
    <div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix"><br class=3D"">
    </div>
    <div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">On 2020-03-29 13:40, Jim Franklin via
      Shop-talk wrote:<br class=3D"">
    </div>
    <blockquote type=3D"cite" =
cite=3D"mid:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">
      <pre class=3D"moz-quote-pre" wrap=3D"">My house settled after a =
major remodel and some 12x24 ceramic tiles have popped up along a line. =
But only one side of them. If I try and pry them up it's clear they're =
on a slight hump and only one side of the hump let go. They only move =
enough to keep cracking the grout and make a hollow sound if I tap on =
them- maybe 1/16 of an inch.=20

Is there a product that will get in there through the grout channels =
that will stabilize the tiles? I'd rather not go through doing it the =
right way of lifting the whole tile and laying it as a new one.=20

thanks,
jim</pre>
      <br class=3D"">
      <fieldset class=3D"mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class=3D"moz-quote-pre" =
wrap=3D"">_______________________________________________

<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</=
a>
Archive: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/piper=
mail/shop-talk</a> <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/mayfield+shoptalk@=
sackheads.org">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/mayfield+sh=
[email-masked]</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote><p class=3D""><br class=3D"">
    </p>
  </div>

_______________________________________________<br class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D"">Donate: =
&nbsp;$12.96<br class=3D"">Archive: =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_417B94C1-A546-468A-9CAE-81F98E67BC20--

--Apple-Mail=_9611C9D6-B99E-42ED-9747-E9F8C388FA7E
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename=smime.p7s
	name=smime.p7s
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--Apple-Mail=_9611C9D6-B99E-42ED-9747-E9F8C388FA7E--

--===============0097086400851335177==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0097086400851335177==--

---

From: Donald H Locker via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 07:52:05 -0400

Had they adequately adhered, they would likely have broken. Ceramic 
tiles really don't bend. I've never tried to inject mortar beneath an 
existing tile; if the bond is weak enough, you should be able to pop the 
tile loose, clean up the mortar, and reset the tile. That would be the 
only way I'd try to fix it. (If you get some mortar beneath an edge, the 
unsupported portion of the tile will eventually take a bit of a load and 
crack there.)

Donald.
--
*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
() no proprietary attachments; no html mail
/\ <https://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml>

On 2020-03-30 7:23 a.m., Jim Franklin via Shop-talk wrote:
> No, there was so much that happened at once, it's impossible to tell. 
> It's definitely not a load issue though; the house is a simple 
> split-entry rectangle with the 1st floor on slab and the 2nd floor 
> joists running between the long foundation walls and a central girder. 
> And I don't remember when the tile went in compared to the work below. 
> But the bathroom also has some loose tiles so I think it's a mortar or 
> adhesion issue more than too much movement in the house. The tiles are 
> cheap ones from Lowe's, maybe $2 each, so mabybe the underside had 
> adhesion issues? I did backbutter them.
> 
> jim
> 
>> On Mar 29, 2020, at 10:36 PM, Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk 
>>

[email-masked]

utox.team.net