Subject: [Shop-talk] OT flash drives

From: Al Fuller via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 10:15:12 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============2262239360603252113==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_106D_01D5F920.48CF6A00"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_106D_01D5F920.48CF6A00
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Tim:  At the end of last year I had what looked for all the world like a
memory problem in my main desktop. Although I know better, it was not backed
up and the problem turned out to be a bad hard drive. This stranded ~1-2 Gb
of data, and I was close to panic! I tried using my copy of SpinRite, but
the drive was too far gone for that. 

Eventually I wound up sending the drive to $300 Data Recovery in Los
Angeles. A couple of weeks later I paid them around $300 and got back a new
SSD with 99% of the data on it, along with the old drive - which it turns
out had a bad head.  

You might give them a call and see if they can help.  See:
https://www.300dollardatarecovery.com/our-abilities/

----------------

All the best,

Al Fuller

Sending this inquiry to you all since I know there are more than a few IT
guys in this group.....

I bought three 512GB flash drives for archiving here at work. One locked up
in each of our offices and one for me to add to files as necessary as files
are amended. They have approximately 450GB on them.

One of the three failed as soon as I finished filling it. I bought a
different brand and made a replacement copy for the safe in our Madison
office. A second, the same brand as the first one that failed is locked up
in our MKE office and will also be replaced now because the third one (the
one that has amended archived files) is also failing. I am having a hard
time retrieving the amended files before this drive takes a final crap on
me. It took over 15 hours to pull one 87MB file from the dying drive. I
can't even attempt to pull more than one file at a time. Not that this
should matter, but the files are mixed word, pdf, saved outlook emails and
miscellaneous audio or video files and possibly other items. 

What I am wondering/hoping is that someone might know of a solution to this
nearly impossible retrieval process. Or am I just screwed here? 

Next year we will be storing everything in the cloud so I won't have to deal
with this PITA process. 

Thanks

tim

------=_NextPart_000_106D_01D5F920.48CF6A00
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Tim:&nbsp; At the end of last year I had what looked =
for all the world like a memory problem in my main desktop. Although I =
know better, it was not backed up and the problem turned out to be a bad =
hard drive. This stranded ~1-2 Gb of data, and I was close to panic! I =
tried using my copy of SpinRite, but the drive was too far gone for =
that. <o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Eventually I wound up sending the drive to $300 Data =
Recovery in Los Angeles. A couple of weeks later I paid them around $300 =
and got back a new SSD with 99% of the data on it, along with the old =
drive &#8211; which it turns out had a bad head&#8230;&nbsp; =
<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>You might give them a call and see if they can =
help.&nbsp; See: <a =
href=3D"https://www.300dollardatarecovery.com/our-abilities/">https://www=
.300dollardatarecovery.com/our-abilities/</a><o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>----------------<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>All the best,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Al =
Fuller<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>Sending =
this inquiry to you all since I know there are more than a few IT guys =
in this group.....<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>I bought =
three 512GB flash drives for archiving here at work. One locked up in =
each of our offices and one for me to add to files as necessary as files =
are amended. They have approximately 450GB on =
them.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>One of =
the three failed as soon as I finished filling it. I bought a different =
brand and made a replacement copy for the safe in our Madison office. A =
second, the same brand as the first one that failed is locked up in our =
MKE office and will also be replaced now because the third one (the one =
that has amended archived files) is also failing. I am having a hard =
time retrieving the amended files before this drive takes a final crap =
on me. It took over 15 hours to pull one 87MB file from the dying drive. =
I can't even attempt to pull more than one file at a time. Not that this =
should matter, but the files are mixed word, pdf, saved outlook emails =
and miscellaneous audio or video files and possibly other =
items.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>What I am =
wondering/hoping is that someone might know of a solution to this nearly =
impossible retrieval process. Or am I just screwed =
here?&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>Next year =
we will be storing everything in the cloud so I won't have to deal with =
this PITA process.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>Thanks<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;color:black'>tim<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_106D_01D5F920.48CF6A00--

--===============2262239360603252113==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============2262239360603252113==--