Subject: [Shop-talk] Rivets for luggage strap?

From: Jim Franklin via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 08:32:37 -0500

--===============8760917739306720280==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_08F3D720-FCE9-4CD3-AA6A-1A63553196D8";
	protocol="application/pkcs7-signature";
	micalg=sha1

--Apple-Mail=_08F3D720-FCE9-4CD3-AA6A-1A63553196D8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

I have a large roller suitcase that has a nylon strap and buckle riveted =
into the body just under the grab handle for hooking a laptop bag, or =
the telescoping handle of a carry-on bag, so that they are piggybacked.

The plastic buckle broke, and while I can just use a loop around the big =
suitcase's grab handle, it slides around and the smaller suitcase starts =
fishtailing and eventually rolls over. I'd like to replace the buckles =
but they are held in by a loop secured with a flat top, seemingly =
proprietary rivet (stamped "Olympia").

The underside has a concave dished washer and normal deformed rivet tail =
though it doesn't protrude beyond the concavity of teh washer. Can I =
install the same type of rivet or should I get ones that are pounded =
together and flat on both sides? I don't see a way to deform the =
existing type without a big machine.=20

thanks,
jim=

--Apple-Mail=_08F3D720-FCE9-4CD3-AA6A-1A63553196D8
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename=smime.p7s
	name=smime.p7s
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--Apple-Mail=_08F3D720-FCE9-4CD3-AA6A-1A63553196D8--

--===============8760917739306720280==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============8760917739306720280==--

---

From: David Scheidt via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 09:39:32 -0600

> On Jan 27, 2020, at 07:32, Jim Franklin via Shop-talk <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I have a large roller suitcase that has a nylon strap and buckle riveted into the body just under the grab handle for hooking a laptop bag, or the telescoping handle of a carry-on bag, so that they are piggybacked.
> 
> The plastic buckle broke, and while I can just use a loop around the big suitcase's grab handle, it slides around and the smaller suitcase starts fishtailing and eventually rolls over. I'd like to replace the buckles but they are held in by a loop secured with a flat top, seemingly proprietary rivet (stamped "Olympia").
> 

There is such things as repair buckles, which fit over an existing webbing loop. I would look for a suitable option before you attack the rivets. The buckles usually hav a slit in them that allow the webbings to be fed through. 

[email-masked]