Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sticky steering wheel cleaning

From: Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 09:26:07 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8410097888164292166==
 boundary="------------15CF2718B7F6DB06FF259727"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------15CF2718B7F6DB06FF259727
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

My goto product for cleaning up any gooey mess is '3M Adhesive Remover' 
(not sold in California anymore so you know it works):

*https://tinyurl.com/y4askrue*

Also, 'Goof Off' and similar products work OK too.  Always try a small 
bit on a hidden part if possible to make sure it doesn't cause damage.  
I've used the 3M product for years and have never had it remove good 
paint or other coloring.

Bob

On 10/2/2019 9:17 AM, eric--- via Shop-talk wrote:
> Hello all, I'm back from AZ for a few weeks, but my car is still out 
> there.  So I have to use my mason dump truck to get around.
>
> Here is the issue, the steering wheel is 'sticky' or grimy and using 
> it for a short time, my hands feel disgusting.  I've cleaned it and it 
> feels nice for a few miles, but after less than an hour, it's back to 
> being sticky/grimy.
>
> The steering wheel is the 'basic' (Vinyl?) type with no cover.  Any 
> ideas on how to clean it?  Note, it seemed my old truck suffered from 
> it as well, but since I was only using it when working, it didn't 
> bother me.  But now this truck is a primary for now.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
>
> Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
> Tech Viper
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a 
> rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your 
> territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
> -Who is John Galt? 

--------------15CF2718B7F6DB06FF259727
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    My goto product for cleaning up any gooey mess is '3M Adhesive
    Remover' (not sold in California anymore so you know it works):<br>
    <br>
    <b><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://tinyurl.com/y4askrue">https://tinyurl.com/y4askrue</a></b><br>
    <br>
    Also, 'Goof Off' and similar products work OK too.  Always try a
    small bit on a hidden part if possible to make sure it doesn't cause
    damage.  I've used the 3M product for years and have never had it
    remove good paint or other coloring.<br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/2/2019 9:17 AM, eric--- via
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Hello all,
        I'm back
        from AZ for a few weeks, but my car is still out there.  So I
        have
        to use my mason dump truck to get around.</span>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
        Here is the issue, the steering wheel is 'sticky' or grimy and
        using it
        for a short time, my hands feel disgusting.  I've cleaned it and
        it
        feels nice for a few miles, but after less than an hour, it's
        back to being
        sticky/grimy.</span>
      <br>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">The steering
        wheel
        is the 'basic' (Vinyl?) type with no cover.  Any ideas on how to
        clean
        it?  Note, it seemed my old truck suffered from it as well, but
        since
        I was only using it when working, it didn't bother me.  But now
        this
        truck is a primary for now.</span>
      <br>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Thanks in
        advance!</span>
      <br>
      <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
        <br>
        Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
        Tech Viper<br>
        "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
        rational
        being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory."
        Ralph
        Waldo Emerson <br>
        -Who is John Galt?</span>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------15CF2718B7F6DB06FF259727--

--===============8410097888164292166==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============8410097888164292166==--

---

From: Donald H Locker via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 12:28:40 -0400

Gloves? (If Simple Green doesn't work.)

Donald.
--
*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
() no proprietary attachments; no html mail
/\ <http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml>

On 02-Oct-2019 12:17, eric--- via Shop-talk wrote:
> Hello all, I'm back from AZ for a few weeks, but my car is still out there. 
>   So I have to use my mason dump truck to get around.
> 
> Here is the issue, the steering wheel is 'sticky' or grimy and using it for 
> a short time, my hands feel disgusting.  I've cleaned it and it feels nice 
> for a few miles, but after less than an hour, it's back to being sticky/grimy.
> 
> The steering wheel is the 'basic' (Vinyl?) type with no cover.  Any ideas 
> on how to clean it?  Note, it seemed my old truck suffered from it as well, 
> but since I was only using it when working, it didn't bother me.  But now 
> this truck is a primary for now.
> 
> Thanks in advance!
> 
> 
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
> Waldo Emerson
> -Who is John Galt?
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> 

[email-masked]

utox.team.net

---

From: Randall via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 10:07:11 -0700

I don't know if this applies to your truck or not; but on my 95 Buick wagon,
I determined that the oils (or whatever) from my hands were actually causing
the old vinyl (again or whatever) to break down and become sticky.  It
quickly accumulated dirt of course, but the sticky seemed to come first and
the surface of the wheel was slowly eroding away.  It was made obvious
because the surface was dyed (?) to match the car interior and the colored
part was disappearing (exposing the dark gray underneath).

Easy solution for me was a leather steering wheel cover.  Wheelskins will
custom make a lace-up style cover to suit almost any steering wheel (I have
one of their custom covers on my Triumph TR3), but it turned out they had a
stock cover that fit the wagon.  Custom fit is the same price as stock, just
takes a little bit longer while they make it (and of course you have to
supply measurements).

This is their web site https://wheelskins.com/original

But, they sometimes run sales on eBay, which is where I got mine.  They
still made me a custom cover at the eBay price.

-- Randall 

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 10:19:51 -0700

Yeah, I buy it online.  You can't get it OTC anymore.

On 10/2/2019 9:44 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> I bought it on Amazon recently and it arrived here.  Try it and see.
> The Remover is very good and effective stuff.
>
> -Roland
> somewhere in Southern California
>
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 09:26:07 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> My goto product for cleaning up any gooey mess is '3M Adhesive Remover' (not sold in California anymore so you know it works):
>>
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/y4askrue

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas via Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 13:38:22 -0400

Lighter fluid works as well as Goof Off and much cheaper.

On 10/2/2019 1:19 PM, Bob Spidell via Shop-talk wrote:
>>> Remover' (not sold in California anymore so you know it works):
>>>
>>>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 14:23:21 -0500

--===============3159196018064326342==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-27DE313B-34F0-4A09-B563-403779C8C33B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-27DE313B-34F0-4A09-B563-403779C8C33B
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

> On Oct 2, 2019, at 11:17, eric--- via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>=
 wrote:
>=20
> Hello all, I'm back from AZ for a few weeks, but my car is still out there=
.  So I have to use my mason dump truck to get around.=20
>=20
> Here is the issue, the steering wheel is 'sticky' or grimy and using it fo=
r a short time, my hands feel disgusting.  I've cleaned it and it feels nice=
 for a few miles, but after less than an hour, it's back to being sticky/gri=
my.=20

Time for a cover.   Any auto parts place will have a selection of generic on=
es.=20=

--Apple-Mail-27DE313B-34F0-4A09-B563-403779C8C33B
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div dir="ltr"></div><div dir="ltr"><br></div><div dir="ltr"><br>On Oct 2, 2019, at 11:17, eric--- via Shop-talk &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><blockquote type="cite"><div dir="ltr"><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Hello all, I'm back
from AZ for a few weeks, but my car is still out there. &nbsp;So I have
to use my mason dump truck to get around.</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
Here is the issue, the steering wheel is 'sticky' or grimy and using it
for a short time, my hands feel disgusting. &nbsp;I've cleaned it and it
feels nice for a few miles, but after less than an hour, it's back to being
sticky/grimy.</span>
<br></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div>Time for a cover. &nbsp; Any auto parts place will have a selection of generic ones.&nbsp;</div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail-27DE313B-34F0-4A09-B563-403779C8C33B--

--===============3159196018064326342==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3159196018064326342==--

---

From: Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 21:05:14 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4883594719791390572==
 boundary="------------1D42503D15059F0C2D6762FD"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------1D42503D15059F0C2D6762FD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Kinda late, but a thought occurred to me and didn't die of loneliness.  
I think a waterless hand cleaner--GoJo, etc.--should work well and not 
be as toxic to the wheel as adhesive remover or other solvents.  It's 
'gentle' enough for skin and does a good job removing upholstery glue 
when I make a mess with it.

Bob

On 10/2/2019 9:26 AM, Bob Spidell wrote:
> bit on a hidden part if possible to make sure it doesn't cause 
> remove good paint or other coloring.
>
> Bob
>
>
>> it for a short time, my hands feel disgusting.  I've cleaned it and 
>> it feels nice for a few miles, but after less than an hour, it's back 
>> to being sticky/grimy.
>>

--------------1D42503D15059F0C2D6762FD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    Kinda late, but a thought occurred to me and didn't die of
    loneliness.  I think a waterless hand cleaner--GoJo, etc.--should
    work well and not be as toxic to the wheel as adhesive remover or
    other solvents.  It's 'gentle' enough for skin and does a good job
    removing upholstery glue when I make a mess with it.<br>
    <br>
    Bob<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/2/2019 9:26 AM, Bob Spidell
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      My goto product for cleaning up any gooey mess is '3M Adhesive
      Remover' (not sold in California anymore so you know it works):<br>
      <br>
      <b><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
          href="https://tinyurl.com/y4askrue" moz-do-not-send="true">https://tinyurl.com/y4askrue</a></b><br>
      <br>
      Also, 'Goof Off' and similar products work OK too.  Always try a
      small bit on a hidden part if possible to make sure it doesn't
      cause damage.  I've used the 3M product for years and have never
      had it remove good paint or other coloring.<br>
      <br>
      Bob<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/2/2019 9:17 AM, eric--- via
        Shop-talk wrote:<br>
      </div>
      <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
        <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;
          charset=windows-1252">
        <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Hello all,
          I'm back from AZ for a few weeks, but my car is still out
          there.  So I have to use my mason dump truck to get around.</span>
        <br>
        <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
          Here is the issue, the steering wheel is 'sticky' or grimy and
          using it for a short time, my hands feel disgusting.  I've
          cleaned it and it feels nice for a few miles, but after less
          than an hour, it's back to being sticky/grimy.</span> <br>
        <br>
        <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">The
          steering wheel is the 'basic' (Vinyl?) type with no cover.
           Any ideas on how to clean it?  Note, it seemed my old truck
          suffered from it as well, but since I was only using it when
          working, it didn't bother me.  But now this truck is a primary
          for now.</span> <br>
        <br>
        <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Thanks in
          advance!</span> <br>
        <span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
          <br>
          Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
          Tech Viper<br>
          "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as
          a rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of
          your territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson <br>
          -Who is John Galt?</span> </blockquote>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------1D42503D15059F0C2D6762FD--

--===============4883594719791390572==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4883594719791390572==--

---

From: rwil--- via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2019 09:44:04 -0700

-Roland

[email-masked]