Subject: [Shop-talk] Tool Question

From: Matt via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 18:23:07 GMT

--===============2545335706080923776==

----__JWM__J715e6eaf.60203ffcS.51ebf75aM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

I have a seized bolt I am trying to loosen without breaking and it is in=
 a hard to reach location.I can't get a socket on it and the 12 point bo=
x wrench I am using is slipping off.I am having trouble locating a 6 poi=
nt wrench  (10mm by the way). QUESTION:What is your experience with the =
roller based wrenches that are marketed as "no slip" and well suited to =
partially rounded fasteners? TIA!
----__JWM__J715e6eaf.60203ffcS.51ebf75aM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>I have a seized bolt I am trying to loosen without breaking a=
nd it is in a hard to reach location.</div>
<div>I can't get a socket on it and the 12 point box wrench I am using i=
s slipping off.</div>
<div>I am having trouble locating a 6 point wrench&nbsp; (10mm by the wa=
y).</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>QUESTION:</div>
<div>What is your experience with the roller based wrenches that are mar=
keted as "no slip" and well suited to partially rounded fasteners?</div>=

<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>TIA!</div></html>

----__JWM__J715e6eaf.60203ffcS.51ebf75aM--

--===============2545335706080923776==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============2545335706080923776==--

---

From: Matt via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 18:46:06 GMT

--===============6745483142919338867==

----__JWM__J45fdda0a.1099d6f1S.7858d85aM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

Thanks Inch! That is a great tip. I am able to reach the bolt in questio=
n reasonably well with my mapp gas torch.I am taking an iterative approa=
ch right now and hope to report success soon! Matt

---------- Original Message ----------
From: [email-masked]
To: "SHOPTALK DIGEST" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tool Question
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 10:59:55 -0400

Matt, I have had limited success with the "Metrinch" set. It's actually =
a GREAT set of tools and way high quality for the late night infomercial=
 that it was sold on in the early 90's. But they quickly disappeared. Th=
ey seem to have the same sets here https://www.metrinch.tv/ now.

But the outside of a rounded nut isn't the problem in many cases, it's t=
hat the inside is somewhat fused together. That is why I only had limite=
d success.

I recently got this, and I wish I had one YEARS ago. No bolt can defeat =
it. The leads are flexible so you can make it fit into any area.

https://www.amazon.com/TFCFL-Induction-Magnetic-Flameless-Mouldings/dp/B=
07QK93N9M/ref=3Dsr_1_3?crid=3D3I0GFOXWBLM8E&keywords=3Dinduction+heater+=
bolt+removal&qid=3D1568386367&s=3Dgateway&sprefix=3Dinduction+heater+bol=
t%2Caps%2C311&sr=3D8-3

It might be a little pricey at first, but the first stud that you can re=
move without it breaking in the head it more than pay for itself!

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rationa=
l being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph=
 Waldo Emerson =

-Who is John Galt?

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 7:25 PM +0100, "Matt via Shop-talk" <shop-talk@a=
utox.team.net> wrote:

I have a seized bolt I am trying to loosen without breaking and it is in=
 a hard to reach location.

I can't get a socket on it and the 12 point box wrench I am using is sli=
pping off.

I am having trouble locating a 6 point wrench (10mm by the way).

 =

QUESTION:

What is your experience with the roller based wrenches that are marketed=
 as "no slip" and well suited to partially rounded fasteners?

 =

TIA!

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/a=
rchive

@megageek.com

----__JWM__J45fdda0a.1099d6f1S.7858d85aM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>Thanks Inch!</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>That is a great tip.&nbsp;</div>
<div>I am able to reach the bolt in question reasonably well with my map=
p gas torch.</div>
<div>I am taking an iterative approach right now and hope to report succ=
ess soon!</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Matt<br><br>---------- Original Message ----------<br>From: eric@me=
gageek.com<br>To: "SHOPTALK DIGEST" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>=
Cc: Matt &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tool Questi=
on<br>Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 10:59:55 -0400<br><br>Matt, I have had limi=
ted success with the "Metrinch" set. It's actually a GREAT set of tools =
and way high quality for the late night infomercial that it was sold on =
in the early 90's. But they quickly disappeared. They seem to have the s=
ame sets here https://www.metrinch.tv/ now.<br><br>But the outside of a =
rounded nut isn't the problem in many cases, it's that the inside is som=
ewhat fused together. That is why I only had limited success.<br><br>I r=
ecently got this, and I wish I had one YEARS ago. No bolt can defeat it.=
 The leads are flexible so you can make it fit into any area.<br><br>htt=
ps://www.amazon.com/TFCFL-Induction-Magnetic-Flameless-Mouldings/dp/B07Q=
K93N9M/ref=3Dsr_1_3?crid=3D3I0GFOXWBLM8E&amp;keywords=3Dinduction+heater=
+bolt+removal&amp;qid=3D1568386367&amp;s=3Dgateway&amp;sprefix=3Dinducti=
on+heater+bolt%2Caps%2C311&amp;sr=3D8-3<br><br>It might be a little pric=
ey at first, but the first stud that you can remove without it breaking =
in the head it more than pay for itself!<br><br><br><br>Sent from my Com=
modore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>Tech Viper<br>"Be as beneficent as th=
e sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational being are trenched on=
, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson <br>-Who=
 is John Galt?<br><br><br>On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 7:25 PM +0100, "Matt v=
ia Shop-talk" &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br><br><br><br><br=
>I have a seized bolt I am trying to loosen without breaking and it is i=
n a hard to reach location.<br><br>I can't get a socket on it and the 12=
 point box wrench I am using is slipping off.<br><br>I am having trouble=
 locating a 6 point wrench (10mm by the way).<br><br> <br><br>QUESTION:<=
br><br>What is your experience with the roller based wrenches that are m=
arketed as "no slip" and well suited to partially rounded fasteners?<br>=
<br> <br><br>TIA!<br><br>_______________________________________________=
<br><br>[email-masked]<br>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.h=
tml<br>Suggested annual donation $12.96<br>Archive: http://www.team.net/=
pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive<br><br>Unsubscribe/Man=
age: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</=
p></html>

----__JWM__J45fdda0a.1099d6f1S.7858d85aM--

--===============6745483142919338867==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6745483142919338867==--

---

From: Randall via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 13:53:53 -0700

Looks like a handy person could make one for a bit less money.
Eg,
https://www.instructables.com/id/1000W-Portable-Induction-Heater/

Here's an oscillator board for $10 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Voltage-Induction-Heating-Flyback/dp/B01N484G
CP

Rectifier & filter for $15
https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-Rectifier-Rectifying-Amplifier-Dedicated/dp/B0
7BJJ5337

Aand, power transformer from a scrap microwave oven:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Custom-DC-Power-From-Microwave-Oven-Transfo
rmer/

-- Randall 
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild

[email-masked]