Subject: [Shop-talk] alternate use for PEX fittings

From: john niolon via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 21:39:33 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============3962047247685826935==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00E2_01D56757.12222160"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00E2_01D56757.12222160
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I'm trying to install heater lines to my vintage air a/c unit in my =
truck project. I'm hampered by access because I filled in the ash tray =
and the glove box. And my bulkhead plate and fittings are not where =
vintage air routes their stuff so their pre-bent tubes don't go where I =
need them to.

First I tried 5/8" hose and it was too thick to get thru the space I =
have... then 1/2 tube with the same result.. Last try was 1/2" SS tubing =
bent in desired shape with tubing on each end to attaching fittings, =
which is gonna work with one exception... I'm having to reduce from 5/8" =
tube to 1/2" and add an adapter. That's not a problem but all the =
clamping is the problem. Typical screw clamps take up a lot of room and =
are hindering my route. I=E2=80=99m having to go around the end of the =
a/c unit next to the kick panel and it's tight over there. There is no =
room for the clamps where I need them.  I started researching other =
clamping solutions and came up with two ideas..

#1 is pex type clamps... either single or double crimp... they work for =
plumbing at higher pressure than radiator hose and I've used them for =
air lines with good success..

#2 option is using wire clamps from a clamptite tool. this tool is easy =
to fabricate (and not spend 60 bucks) and from what I've seen at the car =
shows they do make a nice tight secure clamp on the hoses... using =
stainless steel wire .062 ..

so a question for the plumbers/pipefitters that have worked with PEX... =
if I use standard barbed fittings do you think the Pex crimp type clamps =
will hold and be leak proof... this will be in an non-accessible place =
when complete so I=E2=80=99m looking for foolproof. =20

I=E2=80=99m looking at the Oeitker clamps since they seem more robust =
than the standard single crimp Home Depot variety
oetiker link

the other option is the Crimptite wire clamps

clamp tite example

these will also clamp down tightly as you can see by the examples =
online. And, using SS wire should make it even better....

experience ?? opinion ?? guesses ?? all welcome

thanks
john

https://jniolon.classicpickup.com/
------=_NextPart_000_00E2_01D56757.12222160
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana><FONT size=3D2><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
color=3D#222222>I'm trying to install heater lines to my vintage air a/c =
unit in=20
my truck project. I'm hampered by access because I filled in the ash =
tray and=20
the glove box. And my bulkhead plate and fittings are not where vintage =
air=20
routes their stuff so their pre-bent tubes don't go where I need them=20
to.</FONT></SPAN><BR=20
style=3D'BOX-SIZING: border-box; FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: verdana, =
geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif; =
WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; =
FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); FONT-STYLE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; =
WIDOWS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); =
TEXT-INDENT: 0px; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial'><BR=20
style=3D'BOX-SIZING: border-box; FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: verdana, =
geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif; =
WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; =
FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); FONT-STYLE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; =
WIDOWS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); =
TEXT-INDENT: 0px; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial'></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2><FONT color=3D#222222><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial">First=20
I tried 5/8" hose and it was too thick to get thru the space I have... =
then 1/2=20
tube with the same result.. Last try was 1/2" SS tubing bent in desired =
shape=20
with tubing on each end to attaching fittings, which is gonna work with =
one=20
exception... I'm having to reduce from 5/8" tube to 1/2" and add an =
adapter.=20
That's not a problem but all the clamping is the problem. Typical screw =
clamps=20
take up a lot of room and are hindering my route. I=E2=80=99m having to =
go around the=20
end of the a/c unit next to the kick panel and it's tight over there. =
There is=20
no room for the clamps where I need them.&nbsp; I started researching =
other=20
clamping solutions and came up with two ideas..</SPAN><BR=20
style=3D'BOX-SIZING: border-box; FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: verdana, =
geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif; =
WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; =
FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); FONT-STYLE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; =
WIDOWS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); =
TEXT-INDENT: 0px; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial'><BR=20
style=3D'BOX-SIZING: border-box; FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: verdana, =
geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif; =
WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; =
FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); FONT-STYLE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; =
WIDOWS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); =
TEXT-INDENT: 0px; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: =
normal; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial'></FONT><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
color=3D#222222>#1 is pex type clamps... either single or double =
crimp... they=20
work for plumbing at higher pressure than radiator hose and I've used =
them for=20
air lines with good success..</FONT></SPAN></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
color=3D#222222 size=3D2></FONT></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3DVerdana><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
color=3D#222222>#2 option is using wire clamps from a clamptite tool. =
this tool is=20
easy to fabricate (and not spend 60 bucks) and from what I've seen at =
the car=20
shows they do make a nice tight secure clamp on the hoses... using =
stainless=20
steel wire .062 .</FONT></SPAN></FONT><FONT face=3DVerdana><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><FONT=20
color=3D#222222>.</FONT></SPAN></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#222222 size=3D2 face=3DVerdana><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#222222 size=3D2 face=3DVerdana><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial">so=20
a question for the plumbers/pipefitters that have worked with PEX... if =
I use=20
standard barbed fittings do you think the Pex crimp type clamps will =
hold and be=20
leak proof... this will be in an non-accessible place when complete so =
I=E2=80=99m=20
looking for foolproof.&nbsp; </SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#222222 size=3D2 face=3DVerdana><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#222222 size=3D2 face=3DVerdana><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial">I=E2=80=99m=20
looking at the Oeitker clamps since they seem more robust than the =
standard=20
single crimp Home Depot variety</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#222222 size=3D2 face=3DVerdana><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><A=20
href=3D"https://www.oetiker.com/en/Products/Clamps-and-rings/Ear-Clamps">=
oetiker=20
link</A></SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial">the=20
other option is the Crimptite wire clamps</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"><A=20
href=3D"https://aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=3DCLT01&amp;AspxAut=
oDetectCookieSupport=3D1">clamp=20
tite example</A></SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial">these=20
will also clamp down tightly as you can see by the examples online. And, =
using=20
SS wire should make it even better....</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial">experience=20
?? opinion ?? guesses ?? all welcome</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial">thanks</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial">john</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DCalibri><SPAN=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: ; WHITE-SPACE: normal; WORD-SPACING: 0px; =
TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; FLOAT: none; COLOR: ; ORPHANS: 2; WIDOWS: 2; =
DISPLAY: inline !important; LETTER-SPACING: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; =
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial; =
text-decoration-color: initial"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><FONT=20
size=3D2>https://jniolon.classicpickup.com/</FONT></DIV></DIV></DIV></BOD=
Y></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00E2_01D56757.12222160--

--===============3962047247685826935==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============3962047247685826935==--