Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] modern tranny service

From: "Tim . via Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 17:02:47 +0000

--===============3875109267839867083==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_DM6PR13MB22336A9C5E4375199261A09EB4DA0DM6PR13MB2233namp_"

--_000_DM6PR13MB22336A9C5E4375199261A09EB4DA0DM6PR13MB2233namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

that should have read: "hasn't had regular service".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
------------------------------
Someone please correct me here since I doubt this is accurate....

I seem to remember reading, years ago, that if an automatic transmission ha=
s had regular service that it shouldn't be done if the vehicle has a lot of=
 miles on it. Something about the new fluid can degrade the seals?

Am I totally misremembering this? or what?

--_000_DM6PR13MB22336A9C5E4375199261A09EB4DA0DM6PR13MB2233namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
that should have read: &quot;hasn't had regular service&quot;.&nbsp;</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
------------------------------</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<div style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica=
, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255)">
Someone please correct me here since I doubt this is accurate....</div>
<div style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica=
, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255)">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica=
, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255)">
I seem to remember reading, years ago, that if an automatic transmission ha=
s had regular service that it shouldn't be done if the vehicle has a lot of=
 miles on it. Something about the new fluid can degrade the seals?</div>
<div style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica=
, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255)">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"margin: 0px; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica=
, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255)">
Am I totally misremembering this? or what?</div>
<br>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_DM6PR13MB22336A9C5E4375199261A09EB4DA0DM6PR13MB2233namp_--

--===============3875109267839867083==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============3875109267839867083==--

---

From: John Miller via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 13:11:09 -0700

On 8/5/2019 9:41 AM, Tim . via Shop-talk wrote:
> I seem to remember reading, years ago, that if an automatic transmission 
> has had regular service that it shouldn't be done if the vehicle has a 
> lot of miles on it. Something about the new fluid can degrade the seals?

I don't think it's the seals, but a friend who was once an engineer on 
the P71 Crown Vic (police) program at Ford once told me that auto trans 
life is very simple: drain and fill the transmission pan every 50K.

Don't worry about the torque converter or the filter, just drain and 
fill, then do it again the next 50K.  You can drop the pan and do the 
filter every so often, but don't obsess about how much you get out or 
how you do it, just get new fluid in there regularly.

That's kinda been my model since.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: PJ McGarvey via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 20:29:01 +0000

--===============8498284438899615475==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BN7PR11MB2724DE45B53C9E8A2CE28C5B9ADA0BN7PR11MB2724namp_"

--_000_BN7PR11MB2724DE45B53C9E8A2CE28C5B9ADA0BN7PR11MB2724namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I've only owned one auto-trans car, our 05 Subaru wagon. The manual will te=
ll you that trans fluid is a lifetime fill, and ours doesn't get driven har=
d or abused, but 50k seems reasonable. It's not like it's hard, especially =
if you're already doing the oil. I've done ours twice in 144k.

One tip is to measure as accurately as possible how much fluid you drain an=
d replace with exactly that much. Checking AT fluid levels is tricky depend=
ing on temperature (on Subarus at least) or how level your driveway is, and=
 it's just easier to know how much to put back in so you don't over or unde=
rfill.

I've replaced the AT filter at the same time, added a magnetic drain plug a=
nd dropped the pan once, but I don't think any of that is necessary during =
each fill.

________________________________
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> on behalf of John Miller=
 via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, August 5, 2019 4:11 PM
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] modern tranny service

John.

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/arch=
ive

[email-masked]

--_000_BN7PR11MB2724DE45B53C9E8A2CE28C5B9ADA0BN7PR11MB2724namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
I've only owned one auto-trans car, our 05 Subaru wagon. The manual will te=
ll you that trans fluid is a lifetime fill, and ours doesn't get driven har=
d or abused, but 50k seems reasonable. It's not like it's hard, especially =
if you're already doing the oil.
 I've done ours twice in 144k.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
One tip is to measure as accurately as possible how much fluid you drain an=
d replace with exactly that much. Checking AT fluid levels is tricky depend=
ing on temperature (on Subarus at least) or how level your driveway is, and=
 it's just easier to know how much
 to put back in so you don't over or underfill.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
I've replaced the AT filter at the same time, added a magnetic drain plug a=
nd dropped the pan once, but I don't think any of that is necessary during =
each fill.&nbsp;</div>
<div id=3D"appendonsend"></div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"display:inline-block; width:98%">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" co=
lor=3D"#000000" style=3D"font-size:11pt"><b>From:</b> Shop-talk &lt;shop-ta=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of John Miller via Shop-talk &lt;sh=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Monday, August 5, 2019 4:11 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked] &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Shop-talk] modern tranny service</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div class=3D"BodyFragment"><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt"=
<div class=3D"PlainText">On 8/5/2019 9:41 AM, Tim . via Shop-talk wrote:<br=
&gt; Someone please correct me here since I doubt this is accurate....<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I seem to remember reading, years ago, that if an automatic transmissi=
on <br>
&gt; has had regular service that it shouldn't be done if the vehicle has a=
 <br>
&gt; lot of miles on it. Something about the new fluid can degrade the seal=
s?<br>
<br>
I don't think it's the seals, but a friend who was once an engineer on <br>
the P71 Crown Vic (police) program at Ford once told me that auto trans <br=
life is very simple: drain and fill the transmission pan every 50K.<br>
<br>
Don't worry about the torque converter or the filter, just drain and <br>
fill, then do it again the next 50K.&nbsp; You can drop the pan and do the =
<br>
filter every so often, but don't obsess about how much you get out or <br>
how you do it, just get new fluid in there regularly.<br>
<br>
That's kinda been my model since.<br>
<br>
John.<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
[email-masked]<br>
ate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.tea=
m.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>=
<br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a>=
<br>
<br>
</div>
</span></font></div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BN7PR11MB2724DE45B53C9E8A2CE28C5B9ADA0BN7PR11MB2724namp_--

--===============8498284438899615475==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8498284438899615475==--