Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Self contained home security cameras

From: Peter Murray via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 15:49:56 -0400

--===============1789180229645372530==

--000000000000d68788058fb47c89

You'll want them to stream to the cloud, if possible. Otherwise, if they're
noticed, they'll be taken, and the footage will leave with them. Consider
Dropcam.

I wouldn't discount something like Simplisafe, which isn't too expensive,
and offers cameras. It'll give you notification of events at the house
(fire alarm, CO alert, water detection, etc) as well as unexpected door
opening, glass break, etc.

-Peter

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 11:58 PM Ronnie Day via Shop-talk <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> We live in the country on 10 acres. Our nearest neighbors are around a
> mile away. We don't bother to lock the doors unless we're going to be gone
> at least overnight. Someone could bulldoze the house and no one would be
> likely to hear or see it happening. Monitored home security is really a
> non-starter. We're 35 miles from the nearest town that would provide that
> type of service.
>
> I just realized that I could put up small, self contained "game" type
> cameras to cover the front and back doors, hopefully to help ID anyone that
> breaks in, and reinforce any insurance claims. I'm talking battery powered
> or at least battery back-up, motion controlled, using SD cards or some
> other removable memory.
>
> Just started research, but thought tossing it out to the group worth doing.
>
> RD
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000d68788058fb47c89
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">You&#39;ll want them to stream to the cloud, if possible. =
Otherwise, if they&#39;re noticed, they&#39;ll be taken, and the footage wi=
ll leave with them. Consider Dropcam.<div><br></div><div>I wouldn&#39;t dis=
count something like Simplisafe, which isn&#39;t too expensive, and offers =
cameras. It&#39;ll give you notification of events at the house (fire alarm=
, CO alert, water detection, etc) as well as unexpected door opening, glass=
 break, etc.</div><div><br></div><div>-Peter</div></div><br><div class=3D"g=
mail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 11=
:58 PM Ronnie Day via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked].=
net">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"=
gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(20=
4,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">We live in the country on 10 =
acres. Our nearest neighbors are around a mile away. We don&#39;t bother to=
 lock the doors unless we&#39;re going to be gone at least overnight. Someo=
ne could bulldoze the house and no one would be likely to hear or see it ha=
ppening. Monitored home security is really a non-starter. We&#39;re 35 mile=
s from the nearest town that would provide that type of service.=C2=A0<div>=
<br></div><div>I just realized that I could put up small, self contained &q=
uot;game&quot; type cameras to cover the front and back doors, hopefully to=
 help ID anyone that breaks in, and reinforce any insurance claims. I&#39;m=
 talking battery powered or at least battery back-up, motion controlled, us=
ing SD cards or some other removable memory.</div><div><br></div><div>Just =
started research, but thought tossing it out to the group worth doing.</div=
><div><br></div><div>RD</div></div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://aut=
ox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000d68788058fb47c89--

--===============1789180229645372530==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============1789180229645372530==--

---

From: Brian Kemp via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:33:52 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3170687782849324748==
 boundary="------------71D81CC65F01BC667B7647D9"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------71D81CC65F01BC667B7647D9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I've looked into similar capability, but have not made a decision. Just 
searched for this type of product and found 
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oco-Pro-Bullet-Outdoor-Indoor-1080p-Cloud-Surveillance-and-Security-Camera-with-Remote-Viewing-4-Pack-OPHWB4-16US/300505129 
as a sample.  One of the reviews says "These are a great camera for 
people who do not want to have a DVR box or hard wired cameras. You 
still have to wire power but the wifi feature with the SD card storage 
is the way of the future. This is great for homes without cable internet 
that have a lot of cameras since DSL or wireless connections would get 
bogged down if all the clips were being uploaded like with Nest or Arlo 
etc. I have yet to find another camera like this. Hikvision is likely 
the OEM that rebrands these for Oco which is a good thing as they are 
the largest IP camera maker in the world and know how to do it. Also, 
these do not run hot like the samsung I tried before this."  I have no 
experience with this specific product and only offer it as an example.

If you can run a single network cable, you can install Power Over 
Ethernet (PoE) cameras connected to a digital video recorder (DVR) that 
records everything to a hard drive that you can watch on a monitor/TV or 
on a computer.  These solutions start at about $300. The key thing here 
is to put the central DVR in a location that a thief wouldn't find (not 
next to your computer or TV).

I've learned a good bit from https://ipcamtalk.com/

I have a neighbor that runs a system using Blue Iris software on a PC 
and says he likes it.

I've read in several places that a battery only camera isn't a good idea 
as the motion sensing will drain the battery often enough that it 
becomes problematic.

If looking at a Ring doorbell, make sure your internet connection is 
good enough.  Ring says you need at least 2MB upload if you hunt enough 
though their site.  Even after moving from DSL to cable internet to get 
2MB, the connection still is not always good enough.

On 8/8/2019 8:54 PM, Ronnie Day via Shop-talk wrote:
> mile away. We don't bother to lock the doors unless we're going to be 
> gone at least overnight. Someone could bulldoze the house and no one 
> would be likely to hear or see it happening. Monitored home security 
> is really a non-starter. We're 35 miles from the nearest town that 
> would provide that type of service.
>
> cameras to cover the front and back doors, hopefully to help ID anyone 
> that breaks in, and reinforce any insurance claims. I'm talking 
> battery powered or at least battery back-up, motion controlled, using 
> SD cards or some other removable memory.
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------71D81CC65F01BC667B7647D9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    I've looked into similar capability, but have not made a decision. 
    Just searched for this type of product and found
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oco-Pro-Bullet-Outdoor-Indoor-1080p-Cloud-Surveillance-and-Security-Camera-with-Remote-Viewing-4-Pack-OPHWB4-16US/300505129">https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oco-Pro-Bullet-Outdoor-Indoor-1080p-Cloud-Surveillance-and-Security-Camera-with-Remote-Viewing-4-Pack-OPHWB4-16US/300505129</a>
    as a sample.  One of the reviews says "These are a great camera for
    people who do not want to have a DVR box or hard wired cameras. You
    still have to wire power but the wifi feature with the SD card
    storage is the way of the future. This is great for homes without
    cable internet that have a lot of cameras since DSL or wireless
    connections would get bogged down if all the clips were being
    uploaded like with Nest or Arlo etc. I have yet to find another
    camera like this. Hikvision is likely the OEM that rebrands these
    for Oco which is a good thing as they are the largest IP camera
    maker in the world and know how to do it. Also, these do not run hot
    like the samsung I tried before this."  I have no experience with
    this specific product and only offer it as an example.<br>
    <br>
    If you can run a single network cable, you can install Power Over
    Ethernet (PoE) cameras connected to a digital video recorder (DVR)
    that records everything to a hard drive that you can watch on a
    monitor/TV or on a computer.  These solutions start at about $300. 
    The key thing here is to put the central DVR in a location that a
    thief wouldn't find (not next to your computer or TV).<br>
    <br>
    I've learned a good bit from <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://ipcamtalk.com/">https://ipcamtalk.com/</a> <br>
    <br>
    I have a neighbor that runs a system using Blue Iris software on a
    PC and says he likes it.<br>
    <br>
    I've read in several places that a battery only camera isn't a good
    idea as the motion sensing will drain the battery often enough that
    it becomes problematic.  <br>
    <br>
    If looking at a Ring doorbell, make sure your internet connection is
    good enough.  Ring says you need at least 2MB upload if you hunt
    enough though their site.  Even after moving from DSL to cable
    internet to get 2MB, the connection still is not always good enough.<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 8/8/2019 8:54 PM, Ronnie Day via
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAMHhs6ctCT4C7drVyVoLo=[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">We live in the country on 10 acres. Our nearest
        neighbors are around a mile away. We don't bother to lock the
        doors unless we're going to be gone at least overnight. Someone
        could bulldoze the house and no one would be likely to hear or
        see it happening. Monitored home security is really a
        non-starter. We're 35 miles from the nearest town that would
        provide that type of service. 
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>I just realized that I could put up small, self contained
          "game" type cameras to cover the front and back doors,
          hopefully to help ID anyone that breaks in, and reinforce any
          insurance claims. I'm talking battery powered or at least
          battery back-up, motion controlled, using SD cards or some
          other removable memory.</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Just started research, but thought tossing it out to the
          group worth doing.</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>RD</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------71D81CC65F01BC667B7647D9--

--===============3170687782849324748==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3170687782849324748==--