Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] add water to "maintenance-free" battery?

From: Randall via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 17:37:42 -0500

--===============3783769703489012178==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

------ODP67O0YUAZLNG01XCTU8S3RO0OTIH
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Break the covers off (usually the welds are weaker and you'll be left with =
a cap that works) and add some distilled water=2E

Might not solve the problem, but you've got nothing to lose=2E
-- Randall

On 21 July 2019 17:18:01 GMT-05:00, Lee Daniels via Shop-talk <shop-talk@a=
utox=2Eteam=2Enet> wrote:
>I suspect this has come up before, but my quick archive search didn't
>turn up
>anything=2E
>
>The DieHard in my TR6 is several years old, but it sits on a Battery
>MINDer
>most of the time=2E Lately when I start the car, I first get one short
>"Rrr"
>like a dead battery=2E But keep trying and it turns over *very*
>reluctantly for
>a few revs, then (so far) builds speed, and eventually starts=2E After a
>drive,
>it starts normally=2E
>
>It's now sat for a day, so I figured I'd check the water level - but,
>uh-oh,
>can't figure out a way to get the cover off without tearing up the
>battery=2E
>See attached photo=2E I can pry on the two ends and get them to barely
>move, but
>the edges of the cover don't budge with gentle prying=2E
>
>Out of the car, I measure >12=2E8V, and it's never had any corrosion etc=
=2E
>Is
>there anything I can do with this thing?
>
>Thanks
> Lee

------ODP67O0YUAZLNG01XCTU8S3RO0OTIH
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body>Break the covers off (usually the welds are weaker=
 and you'll be left with a cap that works) and add some distilled water=2E<=
br><br>Might not solve the problem, but you've got nothing to lose=2E<br>--=
 Randall<br><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 21 July 2019 17:18:01 GMT-05:=
00, Lee Daniels via Shop-talk &lt;shop-talk@autox=2Eteam=2Enet&gt; wrote:<b=
lockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; borde=
r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<pre class=3D"k9mail">I suspect this has come up before, but my quick arch=
ive search didn't turn up<br>anything=2E<br><br>The DieHard in my TR6 is se=
veral years old, but it sits on a Battery MINDer<br>most of the time=2E Lat=
ely when I start the car, I first get one short "Rrr"<br>like a dead batter=
y=2E But keep trying and it turns over *very* reluctantly for<br>a few revs=
, then (so far) builds speed, and eventually starts=2E After a drive,<br>it=
 starts normally=2E<br><br>It's now sat for a day, so I figured I'd check t=
he water level - but, uh-oh,<br>can't figure out a way to get the cover off=
 without tearing up the battery=2E<br>See attached photo=2E I can pry on th=
e two ends and get them to barely move, but<br>the edges of the cover don't=
 budge with gentle prying=2E<br><br>Out of the car, I measure &gt;12=2E8V, =
and it's never had any corrosion etc=2E Is<br>there anything I can do with =
this thing?<br><br>Thanks<br> Lee</pre></blockquote></div></body></html>
------ODP67O0YUAZLNG01XCTU8S3RO0OTIH--

--===============3783769703489012178==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============3783769703489012178==--

---

From: DAVID MASSEY via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 00:52:32 +0000 (UTC)

--===============7650500264358005289==
	boundary="----=_Part_2774429_1843331715.1563756752807"

------=_Part_2774429_1843331715.1563756752807
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 Check your connections at the battery and the starter.=C2=A0 And the negat=
ive to the block.=C2=A0 A corroded connector at any of those locations can =
make it look like a weak battery.=C2=A0 I once replaced a starter for simil=
ar symptoms and when I pulled the cable off of the solenoid on the starter =
I noticed it was burnt.=C2=A0 My old starter was probably OK but I installe=
d the new gear-reduction starter mostly for the cool factor.=C2=A0 That's w=
hat it is all about anyway, isn't it.
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Daniels via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
To: Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sun, Jul 21, 2019 5:18 pm
Subject: [Shop-talk] add water to "maintenance-free" battery?

I suspect this has come up before, but my quick archive search didn't turn =
up
anything.

The DieHard in my TR6 is several years old, but it sits on a Battery MINDer
most of the time. Lately when I start the car, I first get one short "Rrr"
like a dead battery. But keep trying and it turns over *very* reluctantly f=
or
a few revs, then (so far) builds speed, and eventually starts. After a driv=
e,
it starts normally.

It's now sat for a day, so I figured I'd check the water level - but, uh-oh=
,
can't figure out a way to get the cover off without tearing up the battery.
See attached photo. I can pry on the two ends and get them to barely move, =
but
the edges of the cover don't budge with gentle prying.

Out of the car, I measure >12.8V, and it's never had any corrosion etc. Is
there anything I can do with this thing?

Thanks
 Lee_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/arch=
ive

[email-masked]

------=_Part_2774429_1843331715.1563756752807
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<div style="color:black;font: 12pt Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">
<div> <font size="3">Check your connections at the battery and the starter.&nbsp; And the negative to the block.&nbsp; A corroded connector at any of those locations can make it look like a weak battery.&nbsp; I once replaced a starter for similar symptoms and when I pulled the cable off of the solenoid on the starter I noticed it was burnt.&nbsp; My old starter was probably OK but I installed the new gear-reduction starter mostly for the cool factor.&nbsp; That's what it is all about anyway, isn't it.</font><br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="clear:both"><font size="4">Dave </font><br>
<br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div> <br>
</div>

<div style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original Message-----<br>
From: Lee Daniels via Shop-talk &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
To: Shop-talk &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
Sent: Sun, Jul 21, 2019 5:18 pm<br>
Subject: [Shop-talk] add water to "maintenance-free" battery?<br>
<br>

<div dir="ltr">I suspect this has come up before, but my quick archive search didn't turn up<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">anything.<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">The DieHard in my TR6 is several years old, but it sits on a Battery MINDer<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">most of the time. Lately when I start the car, I first get one short "Rrr"<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">like a dead battery. But keep trying and it turns over *very* reluctantly for<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">a few revs, then (so far) builds speed, and eventually starts. After a drive,<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">it starts normally.<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">It's now sat for a day, so I figured I'd check the water level - but, uh-oh,<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">can't figure out a way to get the cover off without tearing up the battery.<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">See attached photo. I can pry on the two ends and get them to barely move, but<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">the edges of the cover don't budge with gentle prying.<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Out of the car, I measure &gt;12.8V, and it's never had any corrosion etc. Is<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">there anything I can do with this thing?<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"><br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr">Thanks<br>
</div>

<div dir="ltr"> Lee</div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" rel="noopener noreferrer" removedlink__b4ce9468-abad-42d9-8cd4-3c5c96db8162__href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
Archive: <a target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" removedlink__b4ce9468-abad-42d9-8cd4-3c5c96db8162__href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk </a><a target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" removedlink__b4ce9468-abad-42d9-8cd4-3c5c96db8162__href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
<br>

<br>

</div>
</div>

------=_Part_2774429_1843331715.1563756752807--

--===============7650500264358005289==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7650500264358005289==--

---

From: Rochlin Robert via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 07:51:25 -0400

--===============5736557086205655348==
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_7E9FA0DB-EAED-4783-A3CD-EDAEDDE1190D"

--Apple-Mail=_7E9FA0DB-EAED-4783-A3CD-EDAEDDE1190D
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

The starter on my TR6 was, as far as I can tell, original to the car. =
Over the years it cranked slower and slower, but always started the =
car..  Eventually it engaged so slowly that it, on occasion, started to =
grind the flywheel.  After careful examination of the wiring failed to =
find any issues had it rebuilt and was amazed at the greatly improved =
performance.
	Best,
	Bob

> On Jul 21, 2019, at 8:52 PM, DAVID MASSEY via Shop-talk =
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> Check your connections at the battery and the starter.  And the =
negative to the block.  A corroded connector at any of those locations =
can make it look like a weak battery.  I once replaced a starter for =
similar symptoms and when I pulled the cable off of the solenoid on the =
starter I noticed it was burnt.  My old starter was probably OK but I =
installed the new gear-reduction starter mostly for the cool factor.  =
That's what it is all about anyway, isn't it.
> I suspect this has come up before, but my quick archive search didn't =
turn up
> anything.
>=20
> The DieHard in my TR6 is several years old, but it sits on a Battery =
MINDer
> most of the time. Lately when I start the car, I first get one short =
"Rrr"
> like a dead battery. But keep trying and it turns over *very* =
reluctantly for
> a few revs, then (so far) builds speed, and eventually starts. After a =
drive,
> it starts normally.
>=20
> It's now sat for a day, so I figured I'd check the water level - but, =
uh-oh,
> can't figure out a way to get the cover off without tearing up the =
battery.
> See attached photo. I can pry on the two ends and get them to barely =
move, but
> Out of the car, I measure >12.8V, and it's never had any corrosion =
etc. Is
> [email-masked] <>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html <>
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk  =
<>http://autox.team.net/archive <>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked] <>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk =
http://autox.team.net/archive
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail=_7E9FA0DB-EAED-4783-A3CD-EDAEDDE1190D
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">The =
starter on my TR6 was, as far as I can tell, original to the car. Over =
the years it cranked slower and slower, but always started the car.. =
&nbsp;Eventually it engaged so slowly that it, on occasion, started to =
grind the flywheel. &nbsp;After careful examination of the wiring failed =
to find any issues had it rebuilt and was amazed at the greatly improved =
performance.<div class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-tab-span" =
style=3D"white-space:pre">	</span>Best,</div><div class=3D""><span =
class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"white-space:pre">	</span>Bob<br =
class=3D""><div><br class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Jul 21, 2019, at 8:52 PM, DAVID MASSEY via Shop-talk =
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D"">
<div style=3D"font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; =
font-weight: normal; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 12pt; line-height: =
normal; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;" class=3D"">
<div class=3D""> <font size=3D"3" class=3D"">Check your connections at =
the battery and the starter.&nbsp; And the negative to the block.&nbsp; =
A corroded connector at any of those locations can make it look like a =
weak battery.&nbsp; I once replaced a starter for similar symptoms and =
when I pulled the cable off of the solenoid on the starter I noticed it =
was burnt.&nbsp; My old starter was probably OK but I installed the new =
gear-reduction starter mostly for the cool factor.&nbsp; That's what it =
is all about anyway, isn't it.</font><br class=3D"">
</div>

<div class=3D""> <br class=3D"">
</div>

<div style=3D"clear:both" class=3D""><font size=3D"4" class=3D"">Dave =
</font><br class=3D"">
<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div class=3D""> <br class=3D"">
</div>

<div class=3D""> <br class=3D"">
</div>

<div style=3D"font-family: arial, helvetica; font-size: 10pt;" =
class=3D"">-----Original Message-----<br class=3D"">
From: Lee Daniels via Shop-talk &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br class=3D"">
To: Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt;<br class=3D"">
Sent: Sun, Jul 21, 2019 5:18 pm<br class=3D"">
Subject: [Shop-talk] add water to "maintenance-free" battery?<br =
class=3D"">
<br class=3D"">

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">I suspect this has come up before, but my =
quick archive search didn't turn up<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">anything.<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D""><br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">The DieHard in my TR6 is several years old, =
but it sits on a Battery MINDer<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">most of the time. Lately when I start the =
car, I first get one short "Rrr"<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">like a dead battery. But keep trying and it =
turns over *very* reluctantly for<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">a few revs, then (so far) builds speed, and =
eventually starts. After a drive,<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">it starts normally.<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D""><br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">It's now sat for a day, so I figured I'd =
check the water level - but, uh-oh,<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">can't figure out a way to get the cover off =
without tearing up the battery.<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">See attached photo. I can pry on the two =
ends and get them to barely move, but<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">the edges of the cover don't budge with =
gentle prying.<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D""><br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">Out of the car, I measure &gt;12.8V, and =
it's never had any corrosion etc. Is<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">there anything I can do with this thing?<br =
class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D""><br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">Thanks<br class=3D"">
</div>

<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D""> Lee</div>
_______________________________________________<br class=3D"">
<br class=3D"">
<a ymailto=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" rel=3D"noopener =
noreferrer" =
removedlink__b4ce9468-abad-42d9-8cd4-3c5c96db8162__href=3D"mailto:Shop-tal=
[email-masked]" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D"">
removedlink__b4ce9468-abad-42d9-8cd4-3c5c96db8162__href=3D"http://www.team=
.net/donate.html" class=3D"">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br =
class=3D"">
Archive: <a target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener noreferrer" =
removedlink__b4ce9468-abad-42d9-8cd4-3c5c96db8162__href=3D"http://www.team=
.net/pipermail/shop-talk" =
class=3D"">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk </a><a =
target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noopener noreferrer" =
removedlink__b4ce9468-abad-42d9-8cd4-3c5c96db8162__href=3D"http://autox.te=
am.net/archive" class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br =
class=3D"">
<br class=3D"">
removedlink__b4ce9468-abad-42d9-8cd4-3c5c96db8162__href=3D"http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/dave1massey@cs.=
com</a><br class=3D"">
<br class=3D"">

<br class=3D"">

</div>
</div>
_______________________________________________<br class=3D""><br =
class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D"">Donate: =
&nbsp;$12.96<br class=3D"">Archive: =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_7E9FA0DB-EAED-4783-A3CD-EDAEDDE1190D--

--===============5736557086205655348==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5736557086205655348==--

---

From: Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 07:53:32 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7354159422307770453==
 boundary="------------821E997EE132A12CCCB136F9"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------821E997EE132A12CCCB136F9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

How old is the battery?  If you got more than 5 years out of it you got 
your money's worth (I've noticed battery quality has largely gone down 
since most are now Hecho En Mexico, even 'name' brands; Deka, for one, 
is still made in the 'States and is excellent quality).

The unloaded voltage doesn't mean much; an almost dead battery can still 
measure > 12V.    You need a load tester to tell for sure if the battery 
is still good; HF has a cheap one, but only pulls 100amps so is probably 
a waste of money, I have one similar to this (but the cables get very 
hot very quickly):

*https://tinyurl.com/y3l68nfd*

There are (much) more expensive ones available for 'professional' use 
that have fans for cooling and are probably best.  Maybe you can rent 
one or get AutoZone or some other parts house to test for you?

AFAIK there is no way to add water to sealed 'maintenance-free' 
batteries (and if you did, it likely wouldn't remain 'sealed' any longer).

Bob

On 7/21/2019 3:18 PM, Lee Daniels via Shop-talk wrote:
> I suspect this has come up before, but my quick archive search didn't turn up
> anything.
>
> like a dead battery. But keep trying and it turns over *very* reluctantly for
> a few revs, then (so far) builds speed, and eventually starts. After a drive,
> it starts normally.
>
> It's now sat for a day, so I figured I'd check the water level - but, uh-oh,
> See attached photo. I can pry on the two ends and get them to barely move, but
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------821E997EE132A12CCCB136F9
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>How old is the battery?  If you got more than 5 years out of it
      you got your money's worth (I've noticed battery quality has
      largely gone down since most are now Hecho En Mexico, even 'name'
      brands; Deka, for one, is still made in the 'States and is
      excellent quality).</p>
    <p>The unloaded voltage doesn't mean much; an almost dead battery
      can still measure &gt; 12V.    You need a load tester to tell for
      sure if the battery is still good; HF has a cheap one, but only
      pulls 100amps so is probably a waste of money, I have one similar
      to this (but the cables get very hot very quickly):</p>
    <p><b><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://tinyurl.com/y3l68nfd">https://tinyurl.com/y3l68nfd</a></b></p>
    <p>There are (much) more expensive ones available for 'professional'
      use that have fans for cooling and are probably best.  Maybe you
      can rent one or get AutoZone or some other parts house to test for
      you?</p>
    <p>AFAIK there is no way to add water to sealed 'maintenance-free'
      batteries (and if you did, it likely wouldn't remain 'sealed' any
      longer).</p>
    <p>Bob</p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 7/21/2019 3:18 PM, Lee Daniels via
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">I suspect this has come up before, but my quick archive search didn't turn up
anything.

The DieHard in my TR6 is several years old, but it sits on a Battery MINDer
most of the time. Lately when I start the car, I first get one short "Rrr"
like a dead battery. But keep trying and it turns over *very* reluctantly for
a few revs, then (so far) builds speed, and eventually starts. After a drive,
it starts normally.

It's now sat for a day, so I figured I'd check the water level - but, uh-oh,
can't figure out a way to get the cover off without tearing up the battery.
See attached photo. I can pry on the two ends and get them to barely move, but
the edges of the cover don't budge with gentle prying.

Out of the car, I measure &gt;12.8V, and it's never had any corrosion etc. Is
there anything I can do with this thing?

Thanks
 Lee</pre>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------821E997EE132A12CCCB136F9--

--===============7354159422307770453==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7354159422307770453==--