Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shipper recommendation needed

From: Rochlin Robert via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 07:44:39 -0400

Hi Pat,
	When I shipped my TR6 overdrive transmission I used FedEx. I don’t recall the weight, but it was under the FedEx weight limit. 175 Lbs. may be over the FedEx weight limit.  I custom constructed a wooden crate and have had to ship the transmission/OD twice, but in both instances it came through with no damage and on time. 
	Best,
	Bob
	’72 TR6

> On Jul 15, 2019, at 5:39 AM, Pat Horne via Shop-talk <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I need to get a transmission shipped from Alabama to Texas. It is crated & weighs 175 lbs. anyone have a shipper that they recommend (or not recommended)?
> 
> Ship content: when it arrives I will be installing it in my shop. 
> 
> Thanks. 
> 
> Peace,
> Pat
> 
> Pat Horne 
> We support Habitat for Humanity
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> 

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: ERIC RUSSELL via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 08:44:28 -0400 (EDT)

I shipped an MGA transmission using Fastenal. I secured it to a pallet, dropped it off at a local Fastenal store and they put on the next truck going towards the destination. The buyer picked it up at the store near him. 

Eric Russell
Mebane, MCDO

----- Original Message -----

[email-masked]

---

From: PJ McGarvey via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 11:55:31 +0000

--===============6373406819670486875==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BN7PR11MB2724458980B269414A1E11CC9ACF0BN7PR11MB2724namp_"

--_000_BN7PR11MB2724458980B269414A1E11CC9ACF0BN7PR11MB2724namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Had a T56 trans shipped to me using a service provided by Fastenal. It was =
the seller's choice, I think he had an account with them, but the only catc=
h was I had to pick it up at a local Fastenal. It was crated, and they drop=
ped it in the back of a pickup truck for me. Don't recall pricing, but it s=
eemed reasonable. Also shipped a transaxle or two myself using Fedex, also =
reasonable prices, etc.

-PJ
________________________________
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> on behalf of Rochlin Rob=
ert via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 7:44 AM
To: Pat Horne; Tom Shirley via Shop-talk
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shipper recommendation needed

Hi Pat,
        When I shipped my TR6 overdrive transmission I used FedEx. I don=92=
t recall the weight, but it was under the FedEx weight limit. 175 Lbs. may =
be over the FedEx weight limit.  I custom constructed a wooden crate and ha=
ve had to ship the transmission/OD twice, but in both instances it came thr=
ough with no damage and on time.
        Best,
        Bob
        =9272 TR6

> On Jul 15, 2019, at 5:39 AM, Pat Horne via Shop-talk <[email-masked]=
m.net> wrote:
>
> I need to get a transmission shipped from Alabama to Texas. It is crated =
& weighs 175 lbs. anyone have a shipper that they recommend (or not recomme=
nded)?
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/ar=
chive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/rroch=
[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/arch=
ive

[email-masked]

--_000_BN7PR11MB2724458980B269414A1E11CC9ACF0BN7PR11MB2724namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DWindows-1=
252">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Had a T56 trans shipped to me using a service provided by Fastenal. It was =
the seller's choice, I think he had an account with them, but the only catc=
h was I had to pick it up at a local Fastenal. It was crated, and they drop=
ped it in the back of a pickup truck
 for me. Don't recall pricing, but it seemed reasonable. Also shipped a tra=
nsaxle or two myself using Fedex, also reasonable prices, etc.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
-PJ</div>
<div id=3D"appendonsend"></div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Shop-talk &lt;shop-ta=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Rochlin Robert via Shop-talk &lt=
;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Monday, July 15, 2019 7:44 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> Pat Horne; Tom Shirley via Shop-talk<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Shop-talk] Shipper recommendation needed</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div class=3D"BodyFragment"><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt;=
">
<div class=3D"PlainText">Hi Pat,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; When I shipped my TR6 overdrive =
transmission I used FedEx. I don=92t recall the weight, but it was under th=
e FedEx weight limit. 175 Lbs. may be over the FedEx weight limit.&nbsp; I =
custom constructed a wooden crate and have had to ship the transmission/OD
 twice, but in both instances it came through with no damage and on time. <=
br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Best,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Bob<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =9272 TR6<br>
<br>
&gt; On Jul 15, 2019, at 5:39 AM, Pat Horne via Shop-talk &lt;shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I need to get a transmission shipped from Alabama to Texas. It is crat=
ed &amp; weighs 175 lbs. anyone have a shipper that they recommend (or not =
recommended)?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Ship content: when it arrives I will be installing it in my shop. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Peace,<br>
&gt; Pat<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Pat Horne <br>
&gt; We support Habitat for Humanity<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; _______________________________________________<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; [email-masked]<br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.ne=
t/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://ww=
w.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>=
<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/s=
hop-talk/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br=
&gt; <br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
[email-masked]<br>
ate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.tea=
m.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>=
<br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a>=
<br>
<br>
</div>
</span></font></div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BN7PR11MB2724458980B269414A1E11CC9ACF0BN7PR11MB2724namp_--

--===============6373406819670486875==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6373406819670486875==--

---

From: old dirtbeard via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 05:28:33 -0700

--===============5181480459082848389==

--000000000000acdd33058db766a8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I shipped one with Greyhound bus years back. I had to pick it up at the bus
terminal, but it was the most affordable method at the time by a large
margin.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019, 4:45 AM Rochlin Robert via Shop-talk <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Pat,
>         When I shipped my TR6 overdrive transmission I used FedEx. I don=
=E2=80=99t
> recall the weight, but it was under the FedEx weight limit. 175 Lbs. may =
be
> over the FedEx weight limit.  I custom constructed a wooden crate and hav=
e
> had to ship the transmission/OD twice, but in both instances it came
> through with no damage and on time.
>         Best,
>         Bob
>         =E2=80=9972 TR6
>
> > I need to get a transmission shipped from Alabama to Texas. It is crate=
d
> & weighs 175 lbs. anyone have a shipper that they recommend (or not
> recommended)?
> >
> > Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> >
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000acdd33058db766a8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">I shipped one with Greyhound bus years back. I had to pic=
k it up at the bus terminal, but it was the most affordable method at the t=
ime by a large margin.</div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Jul 15, 2019, 4:45 AM Rochlin Robert via Shop=
-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked].=
net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"marg=
in:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi Pat,<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 When I shipped my TR6 overdrive transmission I =
used FedEx. I don=E2=80=99t recall the weight, but it was under the FedEx w=
eight limit. 175 Lbs. may be over the FedEx weight limit.=C2=A0 I custom co=
nstructed a wooden crate and have had to ship the transmission/OD twice, bu=
t in both instances it came through with no damage and on time. <br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Best,<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Bob<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =E2=80=9972 TR6<br>
<br>
&gt; On Jul 15, 2019, at 5:39 AM, Pat Horne via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">shop-ta=
[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I need to get a transmission shipped from Alabama to Texas. It is crat=
ed &amp; weighs 175 lbs. anyone have a shipper that they recommend (or not =
recommended)?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Ship content: when it arrives I will be installing it in my shop. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Peace,<br>
&gt; Pat<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Pat Horne <br>
&gt; We support Habitat for Humanity<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; _______________________________________________<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"n=
oreferrer">[email-masked]</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" rel=3D"noreferrer =
noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"no=
referrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-t=
alk</a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/s=
hop-talk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_bla=
nk">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a=
&gt; <br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"norefe=
rrer">[email-masked]</a><br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</=
a> <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000acdd33058db766a8--

--===============5181480459082848389==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5181480459082848389==--

---

From: eric--- via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 10:46:23 -0400 07/21/2019 10:46:24 AM, Serialize complete at 07/21/2019 10:46:24 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============7656933780934559585==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 005127368525843E_=

First, I never saw the original 'ask', but here is my 2 cents plus!  I do 
ship heavy items a bunch, so here is what I learned.

First, I can tell you who NOT to use.  Do not use any of the 'freight 
quote' type services (especially Freightquote.com)  They will quote you a 
good price, then once shipped, they will hit you with fees that are not 
true.  I used them a few times before I caught on.  They love to say that 
the "item was heavier than you stated"  knowing that you can't prove it.

However, I have a commercial 2K digital scale that reads to the 1/4lb.  I 
even stated it was heavier then the reading.  Yet they stated that it was 
heavier then quoted.  So you get charged a higher price AND a penalty fee. 
 Or they say that you used the wrong freight class, even thought they have 
NO idea what is in the crate.  All of this happens after you shipped, so 
you are helpless to fight it.

I've heard good things about Forsnal,  but I had problems getting quotes 
from them.  They did state that they will only handle certain freight 
classes to me, so that was limiting.

Had a buddy that used Greyhound alot and liked it (and the prices are 
good) but you and the other party need to be near a terminal, and there 
are restrictions on size and class.  On the plus, you really don't need 
great packaging.  My buddy used to get tires this way and the tires had no 
packaging, just a band of tape to hold on the label.

What I have found to be the best, is UPS freight.  But here is the kicker, 
NEVER pay the rate you will get quoted online.  Call your local UPS and 
ask for the UPS Freight rep in your area.  Call him, tell him you want to 
set up an account.  (you may have to call a few times, as my guy was 
really busy.)

Once you get in touch with him, be honest and say that you ship only a few 
times a year, but you want an account.  You also want a 50% discounted 
rate.  (Note, you may not want to say a specific rate, as they may give 
you an even better discount.  I ended up with a 60% discount.  But my 
buddy who has a business that ships alot gets almost 75% discount.)  They 
seem to be very happy doing this.

It's always cheaper to ship from a business to a business or terminal. 
Even though I have a fork lift and don't need a lift gate, I still have to 
bring it to a business to get the discount.

But they are really good to work with.

Last note, where in AL and where in Tx?  I'm driving from NJ to AZ 
starting tomorrow.  I'll be going through Memphis if you are close to that 
and I'll be stopping in Dallas if it is close to that.  Let me know!

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
-Who is John Galt?
--=_alternative 005127368525843E_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">First, I never saw the original 'ask',
but here is my 2 cents plus! &nbsp;I do ship heavy items a bunch, so here
is what I learned.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">First, I can tell you who NOT to use.
&nbsp;Do not use any of the 'freight quote' type services (especially Freightquote.com)
&nbsp;They will quote you a good price, then once shipped, they will hit
you with fees that are not true. &nbsp;I used them a few times before I
caught on. &nbsp;They love to say that the &quot;item was heavier than
you stated&quot; &nbsp;knowing that you can't prove it.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">However, I have a commercial 2K digital
scale that reads to the 1/4lb. &nbsp;I even stated it was heavier then
the reading. &nbsp;Yet they stated that it was heavier then quoted. &nbsp;So
you get charged a higher price AND a penalty fee. &nbsp;Or they say that
you used the wrong freight class, even thought they have NO idea what is
in the crate. &nbsp;All of this happens after you shipped, so you are helpless
to fight it.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I've heard good things about Forsnal,
&nbsp;but I had problems getting quotes from them. &nbsp;They did state
that they will only handle certain freight classes to me, so that was limiting.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Had a buddy that used Greyhound alot
and liked it (and the prices are good) but you and the other party need
to be near a terminal, and there are restrictions on size and class. &nbsp;On
the plus, you really don't need great packaging. &nbsp;My buddy used to
get tires this way and the tires had no packaging, just a band of tape
to hold on the label.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">What I have found to be the best, is
UPS freight. &nbsp;But here is the kicker, NEVER pay the rate you will
get quoted online. &nbsp;Call your local UPS and ask for the UPS Freight
rep in your area. &nbsp;Call him, tell him you want to set up an account.
&nbsp;(you may have to call a few times, as my guy was really busy.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Once you get in touch with him, be honest
and say that you ship only a few times a year, but you want an account.
&nbsp;You also want a 50% discounted rate. &nbsp;(Note, you may not want
to say a specific rate, as they may give you an even better discount. &nbsp;I
ended up with a 60% discount. &nbsp;But my buddy who has a business that
ships alot gets almost 75% discount.) &nbsp;They seem to be very happy
doing this.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">It's always cheaper to ship from a business
to a business or terminal. &nbsp;Even though I have a fork lift and don't
need a lift gate, I still have to bring it to a business to get the discount.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">But they are really good to work with.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Last note, where in AL and where in
Tx? &nbsp;I'm driving from NJ to AZ starting tomorrow. &nbsp;I'll be going
through Memphis if you are close to that and I'll be stopping in Dallas
if it is close to that. &nbsp;Let me know!</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
--=_alternative 005127368525843E_=--

--===============7656933780934559585==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7656933780934559585==--

---

From: Pat Horne via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 12:33:21 -0500

The trans is in hand. 

I used Fastenal. $187. 50 from savanna, Ga to San Marcos, Tx. This was dock to dock. I paid an additional $75 to get it to the shipping Fastenal. 

Piece of cake. If I need to ship anything again, I’ll check with them first. 

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. 

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne 

On Jul 15, 2019, at 4:39 AM, Pat Horne via Shop-talk <[email-masked]> wrote:

Thanks. 

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne 

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: John Miller via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 10:47:54 -0700

> The trans is in hand.

I'll keep that in mind.

I'm waiting for Amazon Prime to offer pickup/delivery service.

Amazon, for whatever you think about them, have pretty much redefined 
the shipping business in this country and perhaps much of the world.

Frankly, I try to buy elsewhere when I can, but they're so damn 
convenient and I appreciate the club they've beaten the rest of the 
industry with to improve their services.

John.

[email-masked]