Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rubber bungee cords

From: Karl Vacek via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 18:02:10 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2952004978001188150==

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
------------16b4ded5f9b1a2c280059e2d15
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

You want protection from UV and ozone.  Products like ArmorAll purport to 
preserve rubber, but no idea how well it will stretch.  In any event, store 
them indoors in a dark place away from electric motors, and NOT stretched.

But really, that type of strap is not typically made from a high grade of 
rubber.  Life will probably be far shorter than something like a tire, 
which is formulated to withstand prolonged exposure to the the elements.

------------16b4ded5f9b1a2c280059e2d15
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.=
w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<body>
<div dir=3D"auto"><span style=3D"font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;"=
>You want protection from UV and ozone.&nbsp; Products</span>&nbsp;like Arm=
orAll purport to preserve rubber, but no idea how well it will stretch.&nbs=
p; In any event, store them indoors in a dark place away from electric moto=
rs, and NOT stretched.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">B=
ut really, that type of strap is not typically made<span style=3D"font-size=
: 12pt;">&nbsp;from a high grade of rubber.&nbsp; Life will probably be far=
 shorter than something like a tire, which is formulated to withstand prolo=
nged exposure to the the elements.</span></div></body>
</html>

------------16b4ded5f9b1a2c280059e2d15--

--===============2952004978001188150==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============2952004978001188150==--

---

From: Paul Parkanzky via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 09:24:32 -0400

I feel your pain!

I used to play with my dad's black rubber bungee cords when I was a
kid and eventually started to "borrow" them when I needed to strap
something to my bike/moped/car/etc. When I moved out and started to
fend for myself, I always liked to buy "nice stuff" and so when I
needed bungees I bought the black rubber ones from Tractor Supply or
wherever that looked just like what I was used to using as a kid. They
weren't as stretchy and didn't hold up at all. I ended up disappointed
and just started using the more disposable HF bungees that I could
basically buy in bulk.

My father passed away six or eight years ago and I inherited most of
those old bungees and they still work just as well as they did all
those years ago. My dad worked a sales job for a while where he drove
all week and picked several of them up from the sides of the road so
there's a bunch of brands but the thing they have in common is that
they all just work and want to last. I'm not normally in the "they
don't make them like they used to" crowd, but this seems like a time
when that applies.

-Paul

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 5:31 PM eric--- via Shop-talk
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Here is a quick question,  is there anyway to prolong the life of one of those common black rubber bungee cords?
>
> My wood processor has custom made ones that dry rotted after about 5 years of indoor storage.  They aren't expensive, but it's a pain to have to order them.
>
> Is there something I can put on them (an oil or silicone or something) to prevent them from dry rotting?  Also, should I leave them without tension when not in use?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>
> Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
> Tech Viper
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
> -Who is John Galt?_______________________________________________
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Lee Daniels via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:21:53 -0500

I don't worry too much about how long they last. I get free ones regularly.
The Woodlands, TX, must have one of the highest concentration of lawn
services. They all use the same pickup/trailer arrangement --- mowers,
blowers, edgers all held in with rubber bungees. They frequently lose them.
Since I regularly bike around this fine unincorporated suburb, I find them on
the road much faster than I use them up. So, get some exercise, keep your eyes
open.

 ;-)

Lee

[email-masked]

---

From: Randall via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 18:01:11 -0600

--===============2257787825220090322==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

------W2Q5BBDXYORLYYNRL2M7V9J9IW2UZ8
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Coating them with silicone spray once or twice a year should help preserve =
them=2E It won't repair a myth ng of course, but should slow down the damag=
e=2E
I think they last slightly longer when not under tension, but maybe that's=
 just because its hard to tell how bad they are :)

You can buy round bungee cord by the foot, and make your own custom length=
 if you want=2E Might need to double up to get the strength you need, but I=
 believe the cord comes in various diameters=2E
-- Randall

On 12 June 2019 15:30:55 GMT-06:00, eric--- via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox=
=2Eteam=2Enet> wrote:
>Here is a quick question,  is there anyway to prolong the life of one
>of=20
>those common black rubber bungee cords?
>
>My wood processor has custom made ones that dry rotted after about 5
>years=20
>of indoor storage=2E  They aren't expensive, but it's a pain to have to=
=20
>order them=2E
>
>Is there something I can put on them (an oil or silicone or something)
>to=20
>prevent them from dry rotting?  Also, should I leave them without
>tension=20
>when not in use?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help=2E
>
>
>Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem=2E
>Tech Viper
>"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
>rational=20
>being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory=2E" Ralph=
=20
>Waldo Emerson=20
>-Who is John Galt?

------W2Q5BBDXYORLYYNRL2M7V9J9IW2UZ8
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body>Coating them with silicone spray once or twice a y=
ear should help preserve them=2E It won't repair a myth ng of course, but s=
hould slow down the damage=2E<br>I think they last slightly longer when not=
 under tension, but maybe that's just because its hard to tell how bad they=
 are :)<br><br>You can buy round bungee cord by the foot, and make your own=
 custom length if you want=2E Might need to double up to get the strength y=
ou need, but I believe the cord comes in various diameters=2E<br>-- Randall=
<br><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 12 June 2019 15:30:55 GMT-06:00, eric=
--- via Shop-talk &lt;shop-talk@autox=2Eteam=2Enet&gt; wrote:<blockquote cl=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=2E8ex; border-left: 1px =
solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Here is a quick question, &nbsp;is th=
ere
anyway to prolong the life of one of those common black rubber bungee cord=
s?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">My wood processor has custom made=
 ones
that dry rotted after about 5 years of indoor storage=2E &nbsp;They aren't
expensive, but it's a pain to have to order them=2E</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Is there something I can put on t=
hem
(an oil or silicone or something) to prevent them from dry rotting? &nbsp;=
Also,
should I leave them without tension when not in use?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Thanks in advance for any help=2E=
</font>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem=2E<br>
Tech Viper<br>
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory=2E" Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font></blockquote></div></body></html>
------W2Q5BBDXYORLYYNRL2M7V9J9IW2UZ8--

--===============2257787825220090322==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2257787825220090322==--

---

From: eric--- via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 18:34:58 -0400 06/13/2019 06:35:01 PM, Serialize complete at 06/13/2019 06:35:01 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============1659052815483531716==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 007C0E1485258418_=

It actually kills me to pay for the replacements, but they are a short 
length with a custom hole.  I will most likely not buy them again when 
these got and just used normal ones jury rigged, but for the cost of the 
machine, that is a little disappointing.

BTW, I have noticed that I do find them nearly as often as I use to. I 
think all the landscape guy around here just throw the stuff in enclosed 
trailers and go.

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
-Who is John Galt?

From:   "Lee Daniels" <[email-masked]>
To:     "Paul Parkanzky" <[email-masked]>
Cc:     [email-masked], "shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
Date:   06/13/2019 18:19
Subject:        Re: [Shop-talk] Rubber bungee cords

I don't worry too much about how long they last. I get free ones 
regularly.
The Woodlands, TX, must have one of the highest concentration of lawn
services. They all use the same pickup/trailer arrangement --- mowers,
blowers, edgers all held in with rubber bungees. They frequently lose 
them.
Since I regularly bike around this fine unincorporated suburb, I find them 
on
the road much faster than I use them up. So, get some exercise, keep your 
eyes
open.
 ;-)

Lee

--=_alternative 007C0E1485258418_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">It actually kills me to pay for the replacements,
but they are a short length with a custom hole. &nbsp;I will most likely
not buy them again when these got and just used normal ones jury rigged,
but for the cost of the machine, that is a little disappointing.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">BTW, I have noticed that I do find them
nearly as often as I use to. I think all the landscape guy around here
just throw the stuff in enclosed trailers and go.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">From: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">&quot;Lee Daniels&quot;
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">To: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">&quot;Paul Parkanzky&quot;
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Cc: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">[email-masked],
&quot;shop-talk&quot; &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Date: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">06/13/2019 18:19</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Subject: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Re: [Shop-talk]
Rubber bungee cords</font>
<br>
<hr noshade>
<br>
<br>
<br><tt><font size=2>I don't worry too much about how long they last. I
get free ones regularly.<br>
The Woodlands, TX, must have one of the highest concentration of lawn<br>
services. They all use the same pickup/trailer arrangement --- mowers,<br>
blowers, edgers all held in with rubber bungees. They frequently lose them.<br>
Since I regularly bike around this fine unincorporated suburb, I find them
on<br>
the road much faster than I use them up. So, get some exercise, keep your
eyes<br>
open.<br>
 ;-)<br>
<br>
Lee<br>
<br>
</font></tt>
<br>
--=_alternative 007C0E1485258418_=--

--===============1659052815483531716==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1659052815483531716==--