Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GMC front suspension refresh

From: Ronnie Day via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 10:28:58 -0500

--===============3656112612557232560==

--000000000000a584130587e94bd0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Some years ago we bought an =E2=80=9802 Suburban (2WD) with 102K on it. The
looseness of the front really bugged me until we replaced both the idler
and pitman arms. We also soon replaced one of the front unit bearings and
the shocks. The parts were OE except the shocks, IIRC. All that made a huge
difference in how the truck drove and felt. It now has around 185K on it
and is still pretty tight.

Look at RockAuto to compare OE and aftermarket prices.

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 7:25 AM John Mitchell via Shop-talk <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have a 2005 GMC Sierra Denali that I have owned since new. It's AWD
> and has 117,000 miles.?? The front end is not as tight as I would like
> and I wanted to refresh the front end.?? I've seen the kits from various
> manufacturers that include ball joints, A-arms, etc.?? I've researched
> them online and most appear to be junk. Even Moog doesn't have the
> reputation it once had.?? Should I bite the bullet and buy individual
> AC/Delco parts and which ones, or is there a decent manufacturer of
> suspension parts out there. Thanks?????????????? John?????? Shelton, CT
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000a584130587e94bd0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div><div dir=3D"auto">Some years ago we bought an =E2=80=9802 Suburban (2W=
D) with 102K on it. The looseness of the front really bugged me until we re=
placed both the idler and pitman arms. We also soon replaced one of the fro=
nt unit bearings and the shocks. The parts were OE except the shocks, IIRC.=
 All that made a huge difference in how the truck drove and felt. It now ha=
s around 185K on it and is still pretty tight.</div></div><div dir=3D"auto"=
><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Look at RockAuto to compare OE and aftermarket=
 prices.</div><div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D=
"gmail_attr">On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 7:25 AM John Mitchell via Shop-talk &lt=
;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&g=
t; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 =
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I have a 2005 GMC Sierra =
Denali that I have owned since new. It&#39;s AWD <br>
and has 117,000 miles.?? The front end is not as tight as I would like <br>
and I wanted to refresh the front end.?? I&#39;ve seen the kits from variou=
s <br>
manufacturers that include ball joints, A-arms, etc.?? I&#39;ve researched =
<br>
them online and most appear to be junk. Even Moog doesn&#39;t have the <br>
reputation it once had.?? Should I bite the bullet and buy individual <br>
AC/Delco parts and which ones, or is there a decent manufacturer of <br>
suspension parts out there. Thanks?????????????? John?????? Shelton, CT<br>
<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox=
.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div></div>

--000000000000a584130587e94bd0--

--===============3656112612557232560==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============3656112612557232560==--

---

From: John Miller via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 09:07:31 -0700

> suspension parts out there. Thanks?????????????? John?????? Shelton, CT

Let's see, I've got a 2003 Suburban 2500 4x4 and a 2002 Silverado 2500 
2WD diesel, for some reason the GMT800 seems to suit me...

Both are substantially original, they both have Bilsteins, the Suburban 
got a couple new front wheel bearings and new sway-bar end links.  They 
have these little bumpstops/auxiliary rubber springs/whatever that die 
routinely (the truck needs them now) and the steering intermediate shaft 
is renowned for developing a knocking knoise (the Silverado's was 
replaced before I got it and is quiet now, I have the part to do the 
Suburban on the shelf but just haven't gotten to it, that one has the 
adjustable pedals and apparently it's a bit more of a PITA on those.)

I've been happy enough with Moog parts but bear in mind that it looks 
like everyone (including ACDelco) these days has a cheap-line and an 
OEM-grade line.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: John Mitchell via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 12:14:12 -0400

I love the truck and still looks new.?? I haven't had any issues with it, 
but of course now that I've said that, something bad will happen.?? The 
price of a new replacement for this truck is just obscene. I will 
probably keep it as long as it makes financial sense,?? maybe 200, 000 
miles.?? Thanks for the advice on Moog.

On 5/2/2019 10:06 AM, Pat Horne wrote:
> John,
>
> First question is how long do you plan to keep the truck with how many miles
> to add.
>
> I still use Moog parts & a local shop does too. They say they Moog is still
> the best aftermarket supplier.
>
> Check Rock Auto to see what the price differences are for OEM vs. others.
>
> Peace,
> Pat
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John
> Mitchell via Shop-talk
> Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 7:26 AM
> To: Shop Talk
> Subject: [Shop-talk] GMC front suspension refresh
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>
>

[email-masked]

---

From: John Mitchell via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 12:15:41 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2336833628839885640==
 boundary="------------885DC333AA1EFAA0E434BEA8"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------885DC333AA1EFAA0E434BEA8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Thanks, that helps to narrow what I need to buy.

On 5/2/2019 11:28 AM, Ronnie Day wrote:
> Some years ago we bought an ???02 Suburban (2WD) with 102K on it. The 
> looseness of the front really bugged me until we replaced both the 
> idler and pitman arms. We also soon replaced one of the front unit 
> bearings and the shocks. The parts were OE except the shocks, IIRC. 
> All that made a huge difference in how the truck drove and felt. It 
> now has around 185K on it and is still pretty tight.
>
> On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 7:25 AM John Mitchell via Shop-talk 
>
>     Suggested annual donation?? $12.96

--------------885DC333AA1EFAA0E434BEA8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>Thanks, that helps to narrow what I need to buy.<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/2/2019 11:28 AM, Ronnie Day wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div>
        <div dir="auto">Some years ago we bought an ???02 Suburban (2WD)
          with 102K on it. The looseness of the front really bugged me
          until we replaced both the idler and pitman arms. We also soon
          replaced one of the front unit bearings and the shocks. The
          parts were OE except the shocks, IIRC. All that made a huge
          difference in how the truck drove and felt. It now has around
          185K on it and is still pretty tight.</div>
      </div>
      <div dir="auto"><br>
      </div>
      <div dir="auto">Look at RockAuto to compare OE and aftermarket
        prices.</div>
      <div><br>
        <div class="gmail_quote">
          <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 7:25
            AM John Mitchell via Shop-talk &lt;<a
              href="mailto:[email-masked]"
              moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
          </div>
          <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I have a
            2005 GMC Sierra Denali that I have owned since new. It's AWD
            <br>
            and has 117,000 miles.?? The front end is not as tight as I
            would like <br>
            and I wanted to refresh the front end.?? I've seen the kits
            from various <br>
            manufacturers that include ball joints, A-arms, etc.?? I've
            researched <br>
            them online and most appear to be junk. Even Moog doesn't
            have the <br>
            reputation it once had.?? Should I bite the bullet and buy
            individual <br>
            AC/Delco parts and which ones, or is there a decent
            manufacturer of <br>
            suspension parts out there. Thanks?????????????? John??????
            Shelton, CT<br>
            <br>
            _______________________________________________<br>
            <br>
            <a href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
              moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a><br>
            Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
            Suggested annual donation?? $12.96<br>
            Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>
            <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive" rel="noreferrer"
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
            <br>
            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]"
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
            <br>
          </blockquote>
        </div>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------885DC333AA1EFAA0E434BEA8--

--===============2336833628839885640==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2336833628839885640==--