Subject: [Shop-talk] misshapen hex nuts

From: Steven Trovato via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 13:09:45 -0400

--=====================_75122375==_

My son and I just replaced struts on his 2002 Toyota Avalon.  With 
the new parts we received the nuts you can see in the attached 
picture.  The hex shape is not normal.  It is as though it was 
crushed side to side.  The distance from point to opposite point is 
significantly greater for one pair of points.  No socket I have will 
fit on these.  A 15 mm socket is the closest, which is not a very 
common choice.  I was set to write this all off as crappy Chinese 
parts, but I found the same nuts with both the strut and the sway bar 
link.  They are different brands and were purchased separately. Maybe 
both buy their nuts from the same crappy nut supplier.  Anyway, I 
just thought I would check if I am missing something.  Is there some 
kind of locking nut that is intentionally made this way?

-Steve T.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--=====================_75122375==_
 x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="oval nuts cropped.jpg"

--=====================_75122375==_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

--=====================_75122375==_--