Subject: [Shop-talk] misshapen hex nuts

From: johnny b via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 15:43:39 -0400

Those appear to be distorted-thread flange lock nuts.  They are stronger 
than nylon locking nuts and withstand much higher temperatures.  The 
serrated flanges are a plus.

 From McMaster-Carr - "An irregularly-shaped thread grips the bolt for a 
stronger hold than nylon-insert flange locknuts. They have a flange that 
distributes pressure where the nut meets the material surface, 
eliminating the need for a separate washer."

johnny b

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 16:27:43 -0400

That's fine, but I haven't seen any before where the hex was 
distorted so a socket won't fit.  The flange is nice and they can 
shape the threads to lock better, but I would think the hex should be 
made to work with a wrench or socket.  Either that or provide a 
special shape socket for installation.

-Steve T.

At 03:43 PM 5/31/2019, johnny b via Shop-talk wrote:
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64Those appear to be distorted-thread 
>flange lock nuts.  They are stronger
> From McMaster-Carr - "An irregularly-shaped thread grips the bolt 
> for a stronger hold than nylon-insert flange locknuts. They have a 
> flange that distributes pressure where the nut meets the material 
> surface, eliminating the need for a separate washer."
>
>johnny b
>
>
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

[email-masked]