Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] annoying calls

From: Paul Parkanzky via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 08:31:03 -0400

Some of the robo-dialers will just dial through an entire exchange
(i.e. 555-555-0001, 555-555-0002, etc.) and hope for the best. But the
software is sophisticated enough to know that if the call is answered
(even by your voicemail) that they've found a live number. That number
will show up on the list they generate after the campaign and be sold
to other companies (who will of course sell it on again). No number is
safe anymore.

-Paul

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 3:21 AM Battmain via Shop-talk
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>Somehow my unlisted number got exposed
>
> Brian
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

---

From: Randall via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 09:28:39 -0700

In some cases, even a phone number is not required!

I used to have an old dial-type phone mounted on the wall in the garage,
wired into the house phone line.  I left it there even after having the
house service disconnected.  It didn't even have a dial tone!  And our old
number was quickly reassigned to someone else.

But it would still ring every once in a great while.  If I answered, it
would be some sort of political advertisement recording.

My theory is that the political campaign had some kind of deal with the
local exchange, to place calls from their switch directly to all connected
lines, even those not provisioned with a number.

-- Randall 

> Some of the robo-dialers will just dial through an entire 
> exchange (i.e. 555-555-0001, 555-555-0002, etc.) and hope for 
> the best. But the software is sophisticated enough to know 
> that if the call is answered (even by your voicemail) that 
> they've found a live number. That number will show up on the 
> list they generate after the campaign and be sold to other 
> companies (who will of course sell it on again). No number is 
> safe anymore.
> 

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 07:27:45 -0700

... and:

https://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/Why-are-we-getting-so-many-robocalls-13721216.php

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 07:22:33 -0700

Right on cue:

https://www.cnet.com/news/ftc-fines-operations-responsible-for-billions-of-illegal-robocalls/#ftag=CAD-06-10abe3d

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 07:41:55 -0700

When it rains ...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/27/business/att-verizon-robocalls/index.html

[email-masked]