Subject: [Shop-talk] Hooking up a trickle charger to a truck with two batteries and a thermoswitch

From: eric--- via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 10:10:59 -0500 03/03/2019 10:11:12 AM, Serialize complete at 03/03/2019 10:11:12 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============1141594156631560151==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 00536860852583B2_=

Two Quick questions,

1- Can I hook up a normal trickle charger to a truck that has two 
batteries?  If so, how should I wire it?  I'm finding confusing info on 
the web.
Do I hook it up to one battery only? 
Do I put the pos on one batt and the neg on the other?
Do I need one for each battery?

2- Is there a 120vac themo switch for a trucks block heater?  (so it only 
turns on the block heater if the outside temp is below a certain temp? 
(what would that temp ideally be?)

Thanks again all!

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
-Who is John Galt?
--=_alternative 00536860852583B2_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Two Quick questions,</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">1- Can I hook up a normal trickle charger
to a truck that has two batteries? &nbsp;If so, how should I wire it? &nbsp;I'm
finding confusing info on the web.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Do I hook it up to one battery only?
&nbsp;</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Do I put the pos on one batt and the
neg on the other?</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Do I need one for each battery?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">2- Is there a 120vac themo switch for
a trucks block heater? &nbsp;(so it only turns on the block heater if the
outside temp is below a certain temp? &nbsp;(what would that temp ideally
be?)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Thanks again all!</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Thanks in advance.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>
--=_alternative 00536860852583B2_=--

--===============1141594156631560151==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============1141594156631560151==--

---

From: DAVID MASSEY via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 19:00:17 +0000 (UTC)

--===============5568194201935074379==
	boundary="----=_Part_8507808_75927690.1551639617609"

------=_Part_8507808_75927690.1551639617609
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Depends.=C2=A0 Some dual battery systems have the batteries connected in pa=
rallel full time.=C2=A0 In that case, one is all you need.=C2=A0 It doesn't=
 matter which one you connect it to.

But some have a disconnect so you can run accessories until that battery go=
es flat and the other one is fully charged for cranking.=C2=A0 In that case=
 you will need two.

You can use a commercial HVAC temp contol from Granger's or similar for the=
 block heater.=20

Dave
On Sunday, March 3, 2019 eric--- via Shop-talk <[email-masked]> wrote:
Two Quick questions,

1- Can I hook up a normal trickle chargerto a truck that has two batteries?=
 =C2=A0If so, how should I wire it? =C2=A0I'mfinding confusing info on the =
web.
Do I hook it up to one battery only?=C2=A0
Do I put the pos on one batt and theneg on the other?
Do I need one for each battery?

2- Is there a 120vac themo switch fora trucks block heater? =C2=A0(so it on=
ly turns on the block heater if theoutside temp is below a certain temp? =
=C2=A0(what would that temp ideallybe?)

Thanks again all!

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rationalbe=
ing are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." RalphWaldo E=
merson=20
-Who is John Galt?_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

------=_Part_8507808_75927690.1551639617609
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<p dir="ltr">Depends.&nbsp; Some dual battery systems have the batteries connected in parallel full time.&nbsp; In that case, one is all you need.&nbsp; It doesn't matter which one you connect it to.</p>
<p dir="ltr">But some have a disconnect so you can run accessories until that battery goes flat and the other one is fully charged for cranking.&nbsp; In that case you will need two.</p>
<p dir="ltr">You can use a commercial HVAC temp contol from Granger's or similar for the block heater. </p>
<p dir="ltr">Dave</p>
</br></br><div class="device_aol_et_org_dt_dd_quote"></div><hr style="border:0;height:1px;color:#999;background-color:#999;width:100%;margin:0 0 9px 0;padding:0;"></hr><span style="font-size:14px; color:#999999;">On Sunday, March 3, 2019 eric--- via Shop-talk &#60;<span style="color:#0000A0">[email-masked]</span>&#62; wrote:</span><br></br><div id="yiv2874111267"><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Two Quick questions,</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">1- Can I hook up a normal trickle charger
to a truck that has two batteries? &nbsp;If so, how should I wire it? &nbsp;I&#39;m
finding confusing info on the web.</font>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Do I hook it up to one battery only?
&nbsp;</font>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Do I put the pos on one batt and the
neg on the other?</font>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Do I need one for each battery?</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">2- Is there a 120vac themo switch for
a trucks block heater? &nbsp;(so it only turns on the block heater if the
outside temp is below a certain temp? &nbsp;(what would that temp ideally
be?)</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Thanks again all!</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Thanks in advance.</font>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font></div>_______________________________________________<br><br><a ymailto="mailto:[email-masked]" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" target=_blank>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.96<br>Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" target=_blank>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]" target=_blank>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br><br>
------=_Part_8507808_75927690.1551639617609--

--===============5568194201935074379==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5568194201935074379==--