Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] IR thermomemters

From: "Tim . via Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 19:26:48 +0000

--===============4945157970532105108==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_MWHPR13MB13093532C5892B88CD3EEE98B44C0MWHPR13MB1309namp_"

--_000_MWHPR13MB13093532C5892B88CD3EEE98B44C0MWHPR13MB1309namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have a Mastercool #52224-SP. I bought it for under $100 -- I want to say =
$75. I do not remember where I got it. It was initially bought/used when th=
e R16 in my Roadster was overheating. It worked fine for what I needed it f=
or then.

________________________________
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> on behalf of Old Dirtbea=
rd via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 11:06 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] IR thermomemters

Hi guys,

I want to acquire a IR thermometer for motorcycle/automotive work--it does =
not need to be certified. I am looking at the Fluke 62 MAX Plus IR for abou=
t $144. I think it would be great.

Of course you can find IR thermometers like Etekcity Lasergrip 774 for $16 =
with similar specs.

Frankly I am more interested in buying a quality tools than saving money he=
re, but I am curious for those of you who use them, what actual specs/featu=
res do you consider most relevant for day-to--day work in the shop?

For example, I have notions of using it for monitoring exhaust temperatures=
 on motorcycle engines for tuning purposes, so I am thinking a scale of >10=
00 degrees F probably would be useful.

To be frank, I probably also will use for home heating, insulation, etc., w=
ork as well.

I would appreciate feedback on any of your experiences.  Thank you.

best,

doug

--_000_MWHPR13MB13093532C5892B88CD3EEE98B44C0MWHPR13MB1309namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
I have a Mastercool #52224-SP. I bought it for under $100 -- I want to say =
$75. I do not remember where I got it. It was initially bought/used when th=
e R16 in my Roadster was overheating. It worked fine for what I needed it f=
or then.&nbsp;</div>
<div>
<div id=3D"appendonsend"></div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"display:inline-block; width:98%">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" co=
lor=3D"#000000" style=3D"font-size:11pt"><b>From:</b> Shop-talk &lt;shop-ta=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Old Dirtbeard via Shop-talk &lt;=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Thursday, March 7, 2019 11:06 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br>
<b>Subject:</b> [Shop-talk] IR thermomemters</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
Hi guys,</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D""><font color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-se=
rif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt">I want to acquire a IR thermometer for =
motorcycle/automotive work--it does not need to be certified. I am looking =
at the Fluke 62 MAX Plus IR for about $144.
 I think it would be great.</span></font></div>
<div style=3D""><font color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-se=
rif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt"><br>
</span></font></div>
<div style=3D""><font color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-se=
rif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt">Of course you can find IR
</span>thermometers<span style=3D"font-size:12pt">&nbsp;like&nbsp;</span></=
font><span style=3D"color:rgb(85,85,85); font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans=
-serif; font-size:12pt; text-align:center">Etekcity Lasergrip 774 for $16 w=
ith similar specs.&nbsp;</span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"color:rgb(85,85,85); font-family:Calibri,Hel=
vetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; text-align:center"><br>
</span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt">Frank=
ly I am more interested in buying a quality tools than saving money here, b=
ut I am curious for those of you who use them,
 what actual specs/</span>features<span style=3D"font-size:12pt">&nbsp;do y=
ou consider most relevant for day-to--day work in the shop?&nbsp;&nbsp;</sp=
an></font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt"><br>
</span></font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt">For e=
xample, I have notions of using it for monitoring exhaust temperatures on m=
otorcycle engines for tuning purposes, so
 I am thinking a scale of &gt;1000 degrees F probably would be useful.</spa=
n></font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt"><br>
</span></font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt">To be=
 frank, I probably also will use for home heating, insulation, etc., work a=
s well.</span></font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt"><br>
</span></font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt">I wou=
ld appreciate feedback on any of your experiences.&nbsp; Thank you.</span><=
/font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt"><br>
</span></font></span></div>
<div id=3D"x_signature">
<div id=3D"x_divtagdefaultwrapper" dir=3D"ltr" style=3D"font-size:12pt; col=
or:#000000; font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">
<p style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;margin-top:0px; margin-bott=
om:0px">
best,</p>
<p style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;margin-top:0px; margin-bott=
om:0px">
<br>
</p>
<p style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;margin-top:0px; margin-bott=
om:0px">
doug</p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_MWHPR13MB13093532C5892B88CD3EEE98B44C0MWHPR13MB1309namp_--

--===============4945157970532105108==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============4945157970532105108==--

---

From: Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 15:24:38 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6340847917814593125==
 boundary="------------FC5C63842E5F095C380EB7D3"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------FC5C63842E5F095C380EB7D3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I have an Etekcity thermometer.  Forgot the model number.  I've compared 
its readings with both a Thermopen digital meat thermometer and my Seek 
thermal imager and they're in agreement to within a degree or two.  
That's good enough for me.  Granted, my tests were at household oven 
temperatures so perhaps a more expensive Fluke will do better at exhaust 
system temperatures.

My advice would be to try the $16 Etekcity.  If it doesn't work for you, 
simply return it or put it on a shelf and buy the Fluke (and pretend the 
Fluke simply cost $160).

I have no objection to spending $$ to buy quality tools, especially when 
a failure could result in injury or death.  But I'm also not opposed to 
buying a lesser tool if it performs comparably well.  For example, I use 
a $10 Bluetooth ODB-II reader + a couple $5 smartphone apps rather than 
$100 for a dedicated reader.  My reader doesn't handle ABS codes but so 
far I've never needed to scan for one (knock on wood).

On 3/7/19 12:06 PM, Old Dirtbeard via Shop-talk wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I want to acquire a IR thermometer for motorcycle/automotive work--it 
> does not need to be certified. I am looking at the Fluke 62 MAX Plus 
> IR for about $144. I think it would be great.
>
> Of course you can find IR thermometers like Etekcity Lasergrip 774 for 
> $16 with similar specs.
>
> Frankly I am more interested in buying a quality tools than saving 
> money here, but I am curious for those of you who use them, what 
> actual specs/features do you consider most relevant for day-to--day 
> work in the shop?
>
> For example, I have notions of using it for monitoring exhaust 
> temperatures on motorcycle engines for tuning purposes, so I am 
> thinking a scale of >1000 degrees F probably would be useful.
>
> To be frank, I probably also will use for home heating, insulation, 
> etc., work as well.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------FC5C63842E5F095C380EB7D3
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">I have an Etekcity thermometer.  Forgot
      the model number.  I've compared its readings with both a
      Thermopen digital meat thermometer and my Seek thermal imager and
      they're in agreement to within a degree or two.  That's good
      enough for me.  Granted, my tests were at household oven
      temperatures so perhaps a more expensive Fluke will do better at
      exhaust system temperatures.</div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">My advice would be to try the $16
      Etekcity.  If it doesn't work for you, simply return it or put it
      on a shelf and buy the Fluke (and pretend the Fluke simply cost
      $160).<br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">I have no objection to spending $$ to
      buy quality tools, especially when a failure could result in
      injury or death.  But I'm also not opposed to buying a lesser tool
      if it performs comparably well.  For example, I use a $10
      Bluetooth ODB-II reader + a couple $5 smartphone apps rather than
      $100 for a dedicated reader.  My reader doesn't handle ABS codes
      but so far I've never needed to scan for one (knock on wood).</div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 3/7/19 12:06 PM, Old Dirtbeard via
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <style type="text/css" style="display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} </style>
      <div style="font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        Hi guys,</div>
      <div style="font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        font-size: 12pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
        <br>
      </div>
      <div style=""><font face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"
          color="#000000"><span style="font-size: 12pt;">I want to
            acquire a IR thermometer for motorcycle/automotive work--it
            does not need to be certified. I am looking at the Fluke 62
            MAX Plus IR for about $144. I think it would be great.</span></font></div>
      <div style=""><font face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"
          color="#000000"><span style="font-size: 12pt;"><br>
          </span></font></div>
      <div style=""><font face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"
          color="#000000"><span style="font-size: 12pt;">Of course you
            can find IR
          </span>thermometers<span style="font-size: 12pt;"> like </span></font><span
          style="color: rgb(85, 85, 85); font-family: Calibri,
          Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; text-align: center;">Etekcity
          Lasergrip 774 for $16 with similar specs. </span></div>
      <div style=""><span style="color: rgb(85, 85, 85); font-family:
          Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; text-align:
          center;"><br>
        </span></div>
      <div style=""><span style="text-align: center;"><font
            face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#555555"><span
              style="font-size: 12pt;">Frankly I am more interested in
              buying a quality tools than saving money here, but I am
              curious for those of you who use them, what actual specs/</span>features<span
              style="font-size: 12pt;"> do you consider most relevant
              for day-to--day work in the shop?  </span></font></span></div>
      <div style=""><span style="text-align: center;"><font
            face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#555555"><span
              style="font-size: 12pt;"><br>
            </span></font></span></div>
      <div style=""><span style="text-align: center;"><font
            face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#555555"><span
              style="font-size: 12pt;">For example, I have notions of
              using it for monitoring exhaust temperatures on motorcycle
              engines for tuning purposes, so I am thinking a scale of
              &gt;1000 degrees F probably would be useful.</span></font></span></div>
      <div style=""><span style="text-align: center;"><font
            face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#555555"><span
              style="font-size: 12pt;"><br>
            </span></font></span></div>
      <div style=""><span style="text-align: center;"><font
            face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#555555"><span
              style="font-size: 12pt;">To be frank, I probably also will
              use for home heating, insulation, etc., work as well.</span></font></span></div>
      <div style=""><span style="text-align: center;"><font
            face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#555555"><span
              style="font-size: 12pt;"><br>
            </span></font></span></div>
      <div style=""><span style="text-align: center;"><font
            face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#555555"><span
              style="font-size: 12pt;">I would appreciate feedback on
              any of your experiences.  Thank you.</span></font></span></div>
      <div style=""><span style="text-align: center;"><font
            face="Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#555555"><span
              style="font-size: 12pt;"><br>
            </span></font></span></div>
      <div id="signature">
        <div id="divtagdefaultwrapper" dir="ltr" style="font-size:12pt;
          color:#000000; font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">
          <p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;">best,</p>
          <p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;"><br>
          </p>
          <p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;">doug</p>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <p><br>
    </p>
  </body>
</html>

--------------FC5C63842E5F095C380EB7D3--

--===============6340847917814593125==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6340847917814593125==--

---

From: "John T. Blair via Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 23:44:05 -0500

--===============0601104892204231009==
	boundary="=====================_56108926==.ALT"

--=====================_56108926==.ALT

Personally, I'm very happy with my Harborfreight IR thermometer.  I've had it
for over 10 years.  It seems to work very well, and be pretty accurate.

You can get them for about $30.  I think when I got mine it was about $60.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan
Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--=====================_56108926==.ALT

<html>
<body>
<font size=3>Personally, I'm very happy with my Harborfreight IR
thermometer.&nbsp; I've had it<br>
for over 10 years.&nbsp; It seems to work very well, and be pretty
accurate.&nbsp; <br><br>
You can get them for about $30.&nbsp; I think when I got mine it was
about $60.<br><br>
John<br><br>
</font><div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2">
<br /><br />
<hr style='border:none; color:#909090; background-color:#B0B0B0; height: 1px; width: 99%;' />
<table style='border-collapse:collapse;border:none;'>
	<tr>
		<td style='border:none;padding:0px 15px 0px 8px'>
			<a href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">
				<img border=0 src="https://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp.png" alt="Avast logo" />
			</a>
		</td>
		<td>
			<p style='color:#3d4d5a; font-family:"Calibri","Verdana","Arial","Helvetica"; font-size:12pt;'>
				This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
				<br><a href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">www.avast.com</a>
			</p>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table>
<br />
<a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
<br>
<div>John T. Blair&nbsp; WA4OHZ&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email:&nbsp;
[email-masked]</div>
<div>Va. Beach,
Va&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Phone:&nbsp; (757) 495-8229</div>
<br>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48
TR1800&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48 #4 Midget&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 65 Morgan 4/4
Series V (B1106)</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
77 Spitfire&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 71 Saab Sonett III</div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
65 Rambler Classic</div>
<br>
<div>Morgan:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.team.net/morgan" EUDORA=AUTOURL>
www.team.net/morgan</a></div>
<div>Bricklin:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.bricklin.org/" EUDORA=AUTOURL>www.bricklin.org</a>
</div>
<br>
<div>If you can read
this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
- Thank a teacher!</div>
<div>If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!</div>
<br>
<div> From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e pluribus Unum, &quot;from many,
one.&quot;</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In God We Trust</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Liberty - the&nbsp; power&nbsp; of&nbsp;
choosing,&nbsp; thinking,&nbsp; and&nbsp; acting&nbsp; for&nbsp; </div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
oneself; freedom&nbsp; from&nbsp; control&nbsp; or&nbsp;
restriction&nbsp; </div>
<br>
<br>
</html>

--=====================_56108926==.ALT--

--===============0601104892204231009==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0601104892204231009==--

---

From: "Tim . via Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 05:11:10 +0000

--===============1209380701631689658==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_CY4PR13MB13029B0DB3BEF4758BF69C4AB44D0CY4PR13MB1302namp_"

--_000_CY4PR13MB13029B0DB3BEF4758BF69C4AB44D0CY4PR13MB1302namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

WTF.............I received this reply just now after sending it nearly half=
 a day ago.

Thought things were going to be fixed.

________________________________
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> on behalf of Tim . via S=
hop-talk <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 1:26 PM
To: [email-masked]; Old Dirtbeard
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] IR thermomemters

Hi guys,

best,

doug

--_000_CY4PR13MB13029B0DB3BEF4758BF69C4AB44D0CY4PR13MB1302namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bo=
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
WTF.............I received this reply just now after sending it nearly half=
 a day ago.&nbsp;</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;=
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Thought things were going to be fixed.&nbsp;</div>
<div>
<div id=3D"appendonsend"></div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"display:inline-block; width:98%">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" co=
lor=3D"#000000" style=3D"font-size:11pt"><b>From:</b> Shop-talk &lt;shop-ta=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Tim . via Shop-talk &lt;shop-tal=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Thursday, March 7, 2019 1:26 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked]; Old Dirtbeard<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Shop-talk] IR thermomemters</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
I have a Mastercool #52224-SP. I bought it for under $100 -- I want to say =
$75. I do not remember where I got it. It was initially bought/used when th=
e R16 in my Roadster was overheating. It worked fine for what I needed it f=
or then.&nbsp;</div>
<div>
<div id=3D"x_appendonsend"></div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"display:inline-block; width:98%">
<div id=3D"x_divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" =
color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font-size:11pt"><b>From:</b> Shop-talk &lt;shop-=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Old Dirtbeard via Shop-talk &l=
t;[email-masked]&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Thursday, March 7, 2019 11:06 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> [email-masked]<br>
<b>Subject:</b> [Shop-talk] IR thermomemters</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
Hi guys,</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; col=
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<div style=3D""><font color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-se=
rif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt">I want to acquire a IR thermometer for =
motorcycle/automotive work--it does not need to be certified. I am looking =
at the Fluke 62 MAX Plus IR for about $144.
 I think it would be great.</span></font></div>
<div style=3D""><font color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-se=
rif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt"><br>
</span></font></div>
<div style=3D""><font color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-se=
rif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt">Of course you can find IR
</span>thermometers<span style=3D"font-size:12pt">&nbsp;like&nbsp;</span></=
font><span style=3D"color:rgb(85,85,85); font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans=
-serif; font-size:12pt; text-align:center">Etekcity Lasergrip 774 for $16 w=
ith similar specs.&nbsp;</span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"color:rgb(85,85,85); font-family:Calibri,Hel=
vetica,sans-serif; font-size:12pt; text-align:center"><br>
</span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt">Frank=
ly I am more interested in buying a quality tools than saving money here, b=
ut I am curious for those of you who use them,
 what actual specs/</span>features<span style=3D"font-size:12pt">&nbsp;do y=
ou consider most relevant for day-to--day work in the shop?&nbsp;&nbsp;</sp=
an></font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt"><br>
</span></font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt">For e=
xample, I have notions of using it for monitoring exhaust temperatures on m=
otorcycle engines for tuning purposes, so
 I am thinking a scale of &gt;1000 degrees F probably would be useful.</spa=
n></font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt"><br>
</span></font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt">To be=
 frank, I probably also will use for home heating, insulation, etc., work a=
s well.</span></font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt"><br>
</span></font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt">I wou=
ld appreciate feedback on any of your experiences.&nbsp; Thank you.</span><=
/font></span></div>
<div style=3D""><span style=3D"text-align:center"><font color=3D"#555555" f=
ace=3D"Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:12pt"><br>
</span></font></span></div>
<div id=3D"x_x_signature">
<div id=3D"x_x_divtagdefaultwrapper" dir=3D"ltr" style=3D"font-size:12pt; c=
olor:#000000; font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">
<p style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;margin-top:0px; margin-bott=
om:0px; margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px">
best,</p>
<p style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;margin-top:0px; margin-bott=
om:0px; margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px">
<br>
</p>
<p style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;margin-top:0px; margin-bott=
om:0px; margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px">
doug</p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_CY4PR13MB13029B0DB3BEF4758BF69C4AB44D0CY4PR13MB1302namp_--

--===============1209380701631689658==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1209380701631689658==--

---

From: Mark J Bradakis via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 13:39:57 -0700

On 3/7/19 10:11 PM, Tim . via Shop-talk wrote:
> WTF.............I received this reply just now after sending it nearly 
> half a day ago.
>

The message got held back for some reason, I don't remember exactly 
why.  And I apologize that I can not just snap my fingers and have 
everything just magically work perfectly.

mjb.

[email-masked]

utox.team.net

---

From: Randall via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 16:38:29 -0800

> Personally, I'm very happy with my Harborfreight IR 
> thermometer.  I've had it for over 10 years.  It seems to 
> work very well, and be pretty accurate.  

Me too.  But I'm pretty sure the one I got won't read to 1000F.

They've got one now tho, for under $20, that says it will read to 1022F
(550C).  Also has an adjustment for surface emissivity (which I don't think
mine has).  Might be good enough for Doug's use.

https://www.harborfreight.com/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html

-- Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: Steve Dillen via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 17:17:34 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5959622649614306200==
 boundary="------------3B86287288CCD0D8F3B07CFE"
Content-Language: en-MW

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------3B86287288CCD0D8F3B07CFE
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

As a few have mentioned, the cheaper IR thermometers are pretty good 
depending on what you're using them for.  I have one that I bought at 
Costco a few years ago for about $30 or so.  It's been great -- I've 
used it to measure cylinder head temperatures, exhaust temperatures on 
different cylinder banks, household stuff, etc.  I'd try a cheap one 
before buying the Fluke so when you do eventually buy the Fluke, you 
won't have to loan it out or use it outside in the rain.

Steve

On 2019-03-07 9:06 a.m., Old Dirtbeard via Shop-talk wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------3B86287288CCD0D8F3B07CFE
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <p>As a few have mentioned, the cheaper IR thermometers are pretty
      good depending on what you're using them for.  I have one that I
      bought at Costco a few years ago for about $30 or so.  It's been
      great -- I've used it to measure cylinder head temperatures,
      exhaust temperatures on different cylinder banks, household stuff,
      etc.  I'd try a cheap one before buying the Fluke so when you do
      eventually buy the Fluke, you won't have to loan it out or use it
      outside in the rain.</p>
    <p>Steve<br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 2019-03-07 9:06 a.m., Old Dirtbeard
      via Shop-talk wrote:<br>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------3B86287288CCD0D8F3B07CFE--

--===============5959622649614306200==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5959622649614306200==--

---

From: Randall via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 18:23:09 -0800

1) "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
	- Arthur C Clarke

2) "Sometimes the magic works.  Sometimes it doesn't."
	- Chief Dan George

Thank you for all you do to keep the magic working. 

-- Randall 

> And I apologize that I can not just snap my 
> fingers and have everything just magically work perfectly.

[email-masked]