Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Outlet "strap" replacement

From: Jeff Scarbrough via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 03:24:36 -0400

The rivet probably also bonds the ground wire to the strap, and thus
to the box/cover.  You should be able to get a replacement receptacle
at a good electrical supply house.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 12:55 AM Scott Hall via Shop-talk
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I have a recessed floor outlet. The outlet itself has worn so much that blades won't stay in it.
>
> The recepticle part of the outlet is just a regular plastic recepticle. The metal strap that screws into the box appears to be a unique part though--it locates the recepticle deeper so that it's about an inch recessed into the box.
>
> It's held to the plastic body with rivets. So is the normal unit I bought from Home Depot. The holes for everything line up. Can I just drill out the rivets on both units and use the strap from the old part and the plastic recepticle from the new one? Or do those rivets also do something besides hold the recepticle to the strap?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

---

From: Brian Kemp via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 06:09:00 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8770873418125957909==
 boundary="------------37F3E378284D02CB62B4FB8A"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------37F3E378284D02CB62B4FB8A
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I would go to an actual electrical supply house and talk to them. They 
should be able to find an exact replacement.  While you may be able to 
get away with your idea, I would not recommend it.  If there is a 
problem down the road, modifying the UL certified device, you are 100% 
libel for any damages.  To me, it would not be worth it.

In addition, if you ever pulled a building/electrical permit in the 
future and an inspector discovered your work, you would be required to 
properly replace the outlet and probably have your entire house 
inspected and perhaps brought into compliance with current codes.

Brian

On 3/17/2019 6:43 PM, Scott Hall via Shop-talk wrote:
> The recepticle part of the outlet is just a regular plastic 
> recepticle. The metal strap that screws into the box appears to be a 
> unique part though--it locates the recepticle deeper so that it's 
> about an inch recessed into the box.
>
> It's held to the plastic body with rivets. So is the normal unit I 
> bought from Home Depot. The holes for everything line up. Can I just 
> drill out the rivets on both units and use the strap from the old part 
> and the plastic recepticle from the new one? Or do those rivets also 
> do something besides hold the recepticle to the strap?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------37F3E378284D02CB62B4FB8A
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    I would go to an actual electrical supply house and talk to them. 
    They should be able to find an exact replacement.  While you may be
    able to get away with your idea, I would not recommend it.  If there
    is a problem down the road, modifying the UL certified device, you
    are 100% libel for any damages.  To me, it would not be worth it.<br>
    <br>
    In addition, if you ever pulled a building/electrical permit in the
    future and an inspector discovered your work, you would be required
    to properly replace the outlet and probably have your entire house
    inspected and perhaps brought into compliance with current codes.<br>
    <br>
    Brian <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 3/17/2019 6:43 PM, Scott Hall via
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="auto">I have a recessed floor outlet. The outlet itself
        has worn so much that blades won't stay in it.
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">The recepticle part of the outlet is just a
          regular plastic recepticle. The metal strap that screws into
          the box appears to be a unique part though--it locates the
          recepticle deeper so that it's about an inch recessed into the
          box.</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">It's held to the plastic body with rivets. So is
          the normal unit I bought from Home Depot. The holes for
          everything line up. Can I just drill out the rivets on both
          units and use the strap from the old part and the plastic
          recepticle from the new one? Or do those rivets also do
          something besides hold the recepticle to the strap?</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">Thanks in advance.</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------37F3E378284D02CB62B4FB8A--

--===============8770873418125957909==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8770873418125957909==--

---

From: Pat Horne via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 07:44:56 -0500

I’d try to find the correct outlet first. But if you can’t, assuming the box is metal, I’d run a wire from the green ground screw on the outlet to the metal box to be sure the outlet is grounded. 

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne 
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Mar 18, 2019, at 2:24 AM, Jeff Scarbrough via Shop-talk <[email-masked]> wrote:

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]