Subject: [Shop-talk] Impact wrenches (heavy duty)

From: eric--- via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:13:24 -0500 02/24/2019 07:52:22 PM, Serialize complete at 02/24/2019 07:52:22 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============3413285768357586393==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--=_alternative 005E9D46852583AB_=

Ok,  I know this is a new religious topic here, but I'm looking for a tool 
recommendation.  Stay with me.

 So I ended up buying a new (to me) dump body F350 with a powerstroke 
diesel. It only had one owner, and was well maintained (he gave me every 
single record for it.)

So I am starting to do my "once over" before I put it in service.  One of 
the thing is removing the wheels and checking the brakes.  Well, the 
mechanic that did this last had a really HD torque wrench.  I managed to 
eventually get every nut off, but it made it clear that I need a more 
powerfully impact wrench.

So I come to the experts.  I'm looking for a heavy duty air impact wrench. 
 I prefer 1/2, but I'm willing to listen to any advice on moving up to 
3/4.

I'm looking for a tool to use when my 'normal' impact can't handle to job, 
so it will not be used a ton.

Any ideas?  Price isn't much of a concern as it seems even the top end 
ones aren't outrageous.  (Note- I'm not a Snap on junkie that likes over 
priced brand names.)

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
-Who is John Galt?

--=_alternative 005E9D46852583AB_=

<span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Ok, &nbsp;I know
this is a new religious topic here, but I'm looking for a tool recommendation.
&nbsp;Stay with me.</span>
<br>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">&nbsp;So I ended
up buying a new (to me) dump body F350 with a powerstroke diesel. It only
had one owner, and was well maintained (he gave me every single record
for it.)</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">So I am starting
to do my &quot;once over&quot; before I put it in service. &nbsp;One of
the thing is removing the wheels and checking the brakes. &nbsp;Well, the
mechanic that did this last had a really HD torque wrench. &nbsp;I managed
to eventually get every nut off, but it made it clear that I need a more
powerfully impact wrench.</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">So I come to the
experts. &nbsp;I'm looking for a heavy duty air impact wrench. &nbsp;I
prefer 1/2, but I'm willing to listen to any advice on moving up to 3/4.</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">I'm looking for
a tool to use when my 'normal' impact can't handle to job, so it will not
be used a ton.</span>
<br>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif">Any ideas? &nbsp;Price
isn't much of a concern as it seems even the top end ones aren't outrageous.
&nbsp;(Note- I'm not a Snap on junkie that likes over priced brand names.)</span>
<br><span style=" font-size:10pt;font-family:sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</span>

--=_alternative 005E9D46852583AB_=--

--===============3413285768357586393==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============3413285768357586393==--

---

From: Joe Szwed via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 09:50:39 -0500

--===============1905977573586638145==

--000000000000037fd40582b91113

I know you said air impact but you may want to look into the Milwaukee M18
Fuel cordless impact.  They claim 1400 ft-lbs of torque breaking and 1000
ft-lbs tightening.  I follow a couple heavy duty mechanics groups and this
cordless impact gets high scores with many guys preferring it over their
pneumatic.  There is even a 3/4" version available.  I know I plan on
replacing my 18V DeWalt with one once I have the spare cash.

Joe

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019, 9:15 PM eric--- via Shop-talk <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> So I come to the experts.  I'm looking for a heavy duty air impact
> wrench.  I prefer 1/2, but I'm willing to listen to any advice on moving
up
> to 3/4.

--000000000000037fd40582b91113
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I know you said air impact but you may want to look into t=
he Milwaukee M18 Fuel cordless impact.=C2=A0 They claim 1400 ft-lbs of torq=
ue breaking and 1000 ft-lbs tightening.=C2=A0 I follow a couple heavy duty =
mechanics groups and this cordless impact gets high scores with many guys p=
referring it over their pneumatic.=C2=A0 There is even a 3/4&quot; version =
available.=C2=A0 I know I plan on replacing my 18V DeWalt with one once I h=
ave the spare cash.<div><br></div><div>Joe<br><div><br></div><div>On Sun, F=
eb 24, 2019, 9:15 PM eric--- via Shop-talk &lt;<br><a href=3D"mailto:shop-t=
[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrot=
e:<br><br>&gt; Ok,=C2=A0 I know this is a new religious topic here, but I&#=
39;m looking for a tool<br>&gt; recommendation.=C2=A0 Stay with me.<br>&gt;=
<br>&gt;<br>&gt;=C2=A0 So I ended up buying a new (to me) dump body F350 wi=
th a powerstroke<br>&gt; diesel. It only had one owner, and was well mainta=
ined (he gave me every<br>&gt; single record for it.)<br>&gt;<br>&gt; So I =
am starting to do my &quot;once over&quot; before I put it in service.=C2=
=A0 One of<br>&gt; the thing is removing the wheels and checking the brakes=
.=C2=A0 Well, the<br>&gt; mechanic that did this last had a really HD torqu=
e wrench.=C2=A0 I managed to<br>&gt; eventually get every nut off, but it m=
ade it clear that I need a more<br>&gt; powerfully impact wrench.<br>&gt;<b=
r>&gt; So I come to the experts.=C2=A0 I&#39;m looking for a heavy duty air=
 impact<br>&gt; wrench.=C2=A0 I prefer 1/2, but I&#39;m willing to listen t=
o any advice on moving up<br>&gt; to 3/4.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; I&#39;m looking f=
or a tool to use when my &#39;normal&#39; impact can&#39;t handle to job,<b=
r>&gt; so it will not be used a ton.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Any ideas?=C2=A0 Price=
 isn&#39;t much of a concern as it seems even the top end<br>&gt; ones aren=
&#39;t outrageous.=C2=A0 (Note- I&#39;m not a Snap on junkie that likes ove=
r<br>&gt; priced brand names.)<br>&gt;<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Sent from my Commodo=
re 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>&gt; Tech Viper<br>&gt; &quot;Be as benefice=
nt as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational<br>&gt; being ar=
e trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph<br>&gt;=
 Waldo Emerson=C2=A0=C2=A0<br></div></div></div>

--000000000000037fd40582b91113--

--===============1905977573586638145==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1905977573586638145==--