Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop-talk Digest, Vol 13, Issue 18

From: Mark Miller via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 22:34:10 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7857963103285202564==
 boundary="------------44E9B0A52E35390421CA9FCD"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------44E9B0A52E35390421CA9FCD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I rented a 40 foot extension ladder when I needed to get to the top of a 
chimney for some repairs; it was $50 a day.  Go up with a non contact 
voltage detector (answers the switched/ motion sensed, breaker, etc. 
questions) and bring the bulb down.  I am guessing if one bulb burned 
out the other did as well and they were both ignored.  I recommend 
renting a ladder that can do the job or renting the scaffolding you want 
and do both jobs the same day or weekend.

Regards,

Mark Miller   707-490-5834
[email-masked]

On 2/15/2019 7:46 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 1. How to change a light bulb (Scott Hall)  > I keep thinking there's a joke in there and I just can't find it. > 
 > New house has two...commercial-esque light fixtures pointing out over 
 > the back yard. They don't work and I assume it's the bulbs because I 
 > had to switch all the other bulbs in this house, so why not those > 
too? Plus they're probably expensive (so the previous owner wouldn't > 
have wanted to do it), and (the real reason for my question): > > 
They're about 38-ish feet off the ground. Bolted to the side of the > 
chimney. My extension ladder is 32 feet, and even if Home Depot sells > 
something longer I'm not excited about paying $400+ for it. > > My 
thoughts now to get this done (in no particular order) are: > > 1) rent 
scaffolding. This is attractive because I want to change the > ceiling 
fan in the living room as well and that ceiling is only a > few feet 
lower than the outside light fixtures. I could do both in > one day. I'm 
not sure how else I'd get up to that thing. > > 2) buy the longest 
extension ladder I can find. I think I'll need 40 > feet, probably. 
Longer would be better. Expensive, but done.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--------------44E9B0A52E35390421CA9FCD
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <br>
    I rented a 40 foot extension ladder when I needed to get to the top
    of a chimney for some repairs; it was $50 a day.  Go up with a non
    contact voltage detector (answers the switched/ motion sensed, 
    breaker, etc. questions) and bring the bulb down.  I am guessing if
    one bulb burned out the other did as well and they were both
    ignored.  I recommend renting a ladder that can do the job or
    renting the scaffolding you want and do both jobs the same day or
    weekend.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Regards,<br>
    <br>
    Mark Miller   707-490-5834<br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>
    <br>
    On 2/15/2019 7:46 AM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> wrote:<br>
    <span style="white-space: pre-wrap; display: block; width: 98vw;">&gt; 1. How to change a light bulb (Scott Hall)
</span><span style="white-space: pre-wrap; display: block; width: 98vw;">
&gt; I keep thinking there's a joke in there and I just can't find it.
&gt; 
&gt; New house has two...commercial-esque light fixtures pointing out over
&gt;  the back yard. They don't work and I assume it's the bulbs because I
&gt; had to switch all the other bulbs in this house, so why not those
&gt; too? Plus they're probably expensive (so the previous owner wouldn't
&gt; have wanted to do it), and (the real reason for my question):
&gt; 
&gt; They're about 38-ish feet off the ground. Bolted to the side of the 
&gt; chimney. My extension ladder is 32 feet, and even if Home Depot sells
&gt;  something longer I'm not excited about paying $400+ for it.
&gt; 
&gt; My thoughts now to get this done (in no particular order) are:
&gt; 
&gt; 1) rent scaffolding. This is attractive because I want to change the
&gt;  ceiling fan in the living room as well and that ceiling is only a
&gt; few feet lower than the outside light fixtures. I could do both in
&gt; one day. I'm not sure how else I'd get up to that thing.
&gt; 
&gt; 2) buy the longest extension ladder I can find. I think I'll need 40
&gt;  feet, probably. Longer would be better. Expensive, but done.</span><br>
  <div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br />
<table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
	<tr>
        <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon" target="_blank"><img src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif" alt="" width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;" /></a></td>
		<td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avast.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
</html>

--------------44E9B0A52E35390421CA9FCD--

--===============7857963103285202564==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============7857963103285202564==--

---

From: Scott Hall via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:36:57 -0600

--===============7180993447951587835==

--000000000000afa96c058247b95a

I am embarrassed to say I didn't consider renting an extension ladder after
I didn't visually see one at Home Depot. You're right--someone will
probably rent me one.

Eight years of college...down the drain.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 12:34 AM Mark Miller <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> questions) and bring the bulb down.  I am guessing if one bulb burned out
> the other did as well and they were both ignored.  I recommend renting a
> ladder that can do the job or renting the scaffolding you want and do both
> jobs the same day or weekend.
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Miller   707-490-5834
> > 1. How to change a light bulb (Scott Hall) > I keep thinking there's a
> joke in there and I just can't find it. > > New house has
> two...commercial-esque light fixtures pointing out over > the back yard.
> They don't work and I assume it's the bulbs because I > had to switch all
> the other bulbs in this house, so why not those > too? Plus they're
> probably expensive (so the previous owner wouldn't > have wanted to do it),
> and (the real reason for my question): > > They're about 38-ish feet off
> the ground. Bolted to the side of the > chimney. My extension ladder is 32
> feet, and even if Home Depot sells > something longer I'm not excited about
> paying $400+ for it. > > My thoughts now to get this done (in no particular
> order) are: > > 1) rent scaffolding. This is attractive because I want to
> change the > ceiling fan in the living room as well and that ceiling is
> only a > few feet lower than the outside light fixtures. I could do both in
> > one day. I'm not sure how else I'd get up to that thing. > > 2) buy the
> longest extension ladder I can find. I think I'll need 40 > feet, probably.
> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon> Virus-free.
> www.avast.com
> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link>
> <#m_-79881702910699069_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>

--000000000000afa96c058247b95a
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I am embarrassed to say I didn&#39;t consider renting an e=
xtension ladder after I didn&#39;t visually see one at Home Depot. You&#39;=
re right--someone will probably rent me one.<div><br></div><div>Eight years=
 of college...down the drain.</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><di=
v dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 12:34 AM Mark Mi=
ller &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">markmiller@threebo=
ysfarm.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
  <div bgcolor=3D"#FFFFFF">
    <br>
    I rented a 40 foot extension ladder when I needed to get to the top
    of a chimney for some repairs; it was $50 a day.=C2=A0 Go up with a non
    contact voltage detector (answers the switched/ motion sensed,=C2=A0
    breaker, etc. questions) and bring the bulb down.=C2=A0 I am guessing i=
f
    one bulb burned out the other did as well and they were both
    ignored.=C2=A0 I recommend renting a ladder that can do the job or
    renting the scaffolding you want and do both jobs the same day or
    weekend.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Regards,<br>
    <br>
    Mark Miller=C2=A0=C2=A0 707-490-5834<br>
    <a class=3D"gmail-m_-79881702910699069moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D=
"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">markmiller@threeboy=
sfarm.com</a><br>
    <br>
    On 2/15/2019 7:46 AM, <a class=3D"gmail-m_-79881702910699069moz-txt-lin=
k-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_=
blank">[email-masked]</a> wrote:<br>
    <span style=3D"white-space:pre-wrap;display:block;width:98vw">&gt; 1. H=
ow to change a light bulb (Scott Hall)
</span><span style=3D"white-space:pre-wrap;display:block;width:98vw">
&gt; I keep thinking there&#39;s a joke in there and I just can&#39;t find =
it.
&gt;=20
&gt; New house has two...commercial-esque light fixtures pointing out over
&gt;  the back yard. They don&#39;t work and I assume it&#39;s the bulbs be=
cause I
&gt; had to switch all the other bulbs in this house, so why not those
&gt; too? Plus they&#39;re probably expensive (so the previous owner wouldn=
&#39;t
&gt; have wanted to do it), and (the real reason for my question):
&gt;=20
&gt; They&#39;re about 38-ish feet off the ground. Bolted to the side of th=
e=20
&gt; chimney. My extension ladder is 32 feet, and even if Home Depot sells
&gt;  something longer I&#39;m not excited about paying $400+ for it.
&gt;=20
&gt; My thoughts now to get this done (in no particular order) are:
&gt;=20
&gt; 1) rent scaffolding. This is attractive because I want to change the
&gt;  ceiling fan in the living room as well and that ceiling is only a
&gt; few feet lower than the outside light fixtures. I could do both in
&gt; one day. I&#39;m not sure how else I&#39;d get up to that thing.
&gt;=20
&gt; 2) buy the longest extension ladder I can find. I think I&#39;ll need =
40
&gt;  feet, probably. Longer would be better. Expensive, but done.</span><b=
r>
  <div id=3D"gmail-m_-79881702910699069DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2=
"><br>
<table style=3D"border-top:1px solid rgb(211,212,222)">
	<tbody><tr>
        <td style=3D"width:55px;padding-top:13px"><a href=3D"https://www.av=
ast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=3Demail&amp;utm_source=3Dlink&amp;utm_campaign=
=3Dsig-email&amp;utm_content=3Demailclient&amp;utm_term=3Dicon" target=3D"_=
blank"><img src=3D"https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick=
-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif" alt=3D"" width=3D"46" height=3D"29=
" style=3D"width: 46px; height: 29px;"></a></td>
		<td style=3D"width:470px;padding-top:12px;color:rgb(65,66,78);font-size:1=
3px;font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;line-height:18px">Virus-free. <a=
 href=3D"https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=3Demail&amp;utm_source=
=3Dlink&amp;utm_campaign=3Dsig-email&amp;utm_content=3Demailclient&amp;utm_=
term=3Dlink" style=3D"color:rgb(68,83,234)" target=3D"_blank">www.avast.com=
</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</tbody></table><a href=3D"#m_-79881702910699069_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E=
2AA1F9FDF2" width=3D"1" height=3D"1"> </a></div></div>

</blockquote></div>

--000000000000afa96c058247b95a--

--===============7180993447951587835==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7180993447951587835==--