Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Looking to automate fan with remote pressure pad switch

From: Eric Russell via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 14:46:12 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3776260381549079911==
 boundary="------------D8BD4E6E7134F6CFC85C8CE6"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------D8BD4E6E7134F6CFC85C8CE6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Train the cat to throw a switch?

https://youtu.be/lpi19vExbzc

Would a motion detector switch work? I put one in a walk-in closet - it 
simply replaced the standard switch. Enter the closet and the light 
comes on. The switch is set to keep the light on for a few minutes then 
turn off the light if no further motion is detected.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

On 2/7/2019 12:40 PM, Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk 
wrote:
> I’m looking to remotely control an existing fan.
> The fan is currently manually controlled by a
> normal 110V 15A wall on-off switch.  I’m looking
> for hardware that can replace the existing switch
> and operate the fan for a pre-set (hopefully adjustable)
> length of time.  The new timer hardware would be wirelessly
> controlled by a remote pressure pad.
> Here’s the scenario:
> Cat comes into the laundry room (where the cat box is
> located) and enters the cat box.  The pressure pad would
> be outside the cat box entry and the cat would activate the
> pressure switch in the entry pad and a wireless signal would
> be transmitted to the 110V power switch located in the existing
> wall mounted gang box.  In my case, the entry pad is very near an
> existing outlet, so it could be 110V. The fan would automatically
> come on for a pre-determined amount of time, then automatically
> turn off.The cat exiting the cat box would have no affect on the fan
> since it’s already running.

--------------D8BD4E6E7134F6CFC85C8CE6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>Train the cat to throw a switch? <br>
    </p>
    <p><a moz-do-not-send="true" href="https://youtu.be/lpi19vExbzc">https://youtu.be/lpi19vExbzc</a><br>
    </p>
    <p>Would a motion detector switch work? I put one in a walk-in
      closet - it simply replaced the standard switch. Enter the closet
      and the light comes on. The switch is set to keep the light on for
      a few minutes then turn off the light if no further motion is
      detected. <br>
    </p>
    Eric Russell<br>
    Mebane, NC <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 2/7/2019 12:40 PM, Steve Hammatt,
      Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:90414FD31C5E4280B6FAC7E4050A8844@DESKTOPTOA1F5G">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR:
          #000000">
          <div>I’m looking to remotely control an existing fan.</div>
          <div>The fan is currently manually controlled by a </div>
          <div>normal 110V 15A wall on-off switch.  I’m looking </div>
          <div>for hardware that can replace the existing switch </div>
          <div>and operate the fan for a pre-set (hopefully adjustable)
          </div>
          <div>length of time.  The new timer hardware would be
            wirelessly </div>
          <div>controlled by a remote pressure pad.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>Here’s the scenario:</div>
          <div>Cat comes into the laundry room (where the cat box is </div>
          <div>located) and enters the cat box.  The pressure pad would
          </div>
          <div>be outside the cat box entry and the cat would activate
            the </div>
          <div>pressure switch in the entry pad and a wireless signal
            would </div>
          <div>be transmitted to the 110V power switch located in the
            existing </div>
          <div>wall mounted gang box.  In my case, the entry pad is very
            near an </div>
          <div>existing outlet, so it could be 110V. The fan would
            automatically </div>
          <div>come on for a pre-determined amount of time, then
            automatically </div>
          <div>turn off.The cat exiting the cat box would have no affect
            on the fan </div>
          <div>since it’s already running.</div>
          <div> </div>
        </div>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------D8BD4E6E7134F6CFC85C8CE6--

--===============3776260381549079911==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============3776260381549079911==--

---

From: Peter Murray via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 14:50:42 -0500

--===============3577906974899452017==

--000000000000480e7305815329f8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I would probably first consider an occupancy sensor rather than a pressure
sensor, but perhaps a wireless motion sensor could trigger a relay, too.

-Peter

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 2:17 PM Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via
Shop-talk <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I=E2=80=99m looking to remotely control an existing fan.
> normal 110V 15A wall on-off switch.  I=E2=80=99m looking
> Here=E2=80=99s the scenario:
> since it=E2=80=99s already running.
>
> Any clever ideas from our Shop-Talk members?  The assembly of
> everything involved would take place in the shop, so the mandatory
> shop application is thereby satisfied.
> Thanks.
>
> Steve Hammatt
> Mount Vernon WA USA
> www.leatherplates.com
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--000000000000480e7305815329f8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I would probably first consider an occupancy sensor rather=
 than a pressure sensor, but perhaps a wireless motion sensor could trigger=
 a relay, too.<div><br></div><div>-Peter</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail=
_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 2:17 P=
M Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sh=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><b=
lockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-le=
ft:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-size:12pt;font-family:Calibri;color:rgb(0,0,0)">
<div>I=E2=80=99m looking to remotely control an existing fan.</div>
<div>The fan is currently manually controlled by a </div>
<div>normal 110V 15A wall on-off switch.=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99m looking </div>
<div>for hardware that can replace the existing switch </div>
<div>and operate the fan for a pre-set (hopefully adjustable) </div>
<div>length of time.=C2=A0 The new timer hardware would be wirelessly </div=
<div>controlled by a remote pressure pad.</div>
<div>=C2=A0</div>
<div>Here=E2=80=99s the scenario:</div>
<div>Cat comes into the laundry room (where the cat box is </div>
<div>located) and enters the cat box.=C2=A0 The pressure pad would </div>
<div>be outside the cat box entry and the cat would activate the </div>
<div>pressure switch in the entry pad and a wireless signal would </div>
<div>be transmitted to the 110V power switch located in the existing </div>
<div>wall mounted gang box.=C2=A0 In my case, the entry pad is very near an=
=20
</div>
<div>existing outlet, so it could be 110V. The fan would automatically </di=
v>
<div>come on for a pre-determined amount of time, then automatically </div>
<div>turn off.The cat exiting the cat box would have no affect on the fan <=
/div>
<div>since it=E2=80=99s already running.</div>
<div>=C2=A0</div>
<div>Any clever ideas from our Shop-Talk members?=C2=A0 The assembly of </d=
iv>
<div>everything involved would take place in the shop, so the mandatory </d=
iv>
<div>shop application is thereby satisfied.</div>
<div>Thanks.</div>
<div>=C2=A0</div>
<div style=3D"font-size:12pt;font-family:Calibri;color:rgb(0,0,0)">Steve=20
Hammatt<br>Mount Vernon WA=20
USA<br><a href=3D"http://www.leatherplates.com" target=3D"_blank">www.leath=
erplates.com</a><br><br><br></div></div></div></div>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://aut=
ox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000480e7305815329f8--

--===============3577906974899452017==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3577906974899452017==--

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 15:39:14 -0500

This would be easy with some simple Arduino/Raspberry Pi stuff.  You
could add a trigger for disco lights or soothing music too...maybe a
scent dispenser...

Jeff Scarbrough
Feline Acres, Ga.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 2:16 PM Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via
Shop-talk <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: John Miller via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 15:14:25 -0800

> could add a trigger for disco lights or soothing music too...maybe a

Check out the Lutron Caseta stuff.  Plug-in switches/dimmers and remotes 
with all kinds of functions.

Our house has a big old $30K Lutron Homeworks Interactive lighting 
control system, basically three or four generations old at this point. 
Picked up a Hubitat Elevation.  My software project for the next few 
weeks (months...) is to figure out how to make it talk to the big 
Lutron.  They have something for the newer plutocratic Homeworks 
systems, and it talks to the Caseta stuff beautifully, but not the old 
creaky pre-Dreadnought versions.

Gradually turning our house into a Caseta/Z-wave test lab in addition to 
the old Lutron.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: Steve Dillen via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 17:53:55 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============6312307683382926698==
 boundary="------------C7695906076BD938B24D7118"
Content-Language: en-MW

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------C7695906076BD938B24D7118
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I went with Samsung's "smartthings" for automation.  I have it tied into 
IFTTT (www.ifttt.com) for some notification/automation, but in short:

I have a motion sensor in my shop (battery powered) which has automation 
tied to it such that motion causes a outlet control to turn on for 60 
minutes.  No motion for 60 minutes causes outlet to turn off which shuts 
off lighting, the stereo and such things as cordless battery chargers.  
I have another room with a door contact (magnet, battery powered) that 
is automated to turn on a light bulb (smart-bulb from Ikea).  Bulb turns 
off as door is closed or when it has been on for 10 minutes (in case 
door is left open).  All in, I may have spent $250 on parts and my phone 
tells me when things happen.  Smartthing outlet looks like a "wall wart".

I have been finding that my shop light gets triggered when my dog (sort 
of dog...more like hamster that barks) runs through the shop...and I 
suspect it has been triggering when small woodland creatures run through 
as well, so cat sized creatures should not be an issue to trigger.  The 
motion sensor is about 2" square and runs on a button cell, 4 months so 
far and is now at 30% battery life remaining.

Steve Dillen

On 2019-02-07 9:40 a.m., Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via 
Shop-talk wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------C7695906076BD938B24D7118
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>I went with Samsung's "smartthings" for automation.  I have it
      tied into IFTTT (<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.ifttt.com">www.ifttt.com</a>) for some notification/automation,
      but in short:</p>
    <p>I have a motion sensor in my shop (battery powered) which has
      automation tied to it such that motion causes a outlet control to
      turn on for 60 minutes.  No motion for 60 minutes causes outlet to
      turn off which shuts off lighting, the stereo and such things as
      cordless battery chargers.  I have another room with a door
      contact (magnet, battery powered) that is automated to turn on a
      light bulb (smart-bulb from Ikea).  Bulb turns off as door is
      closed or when it has been on for 10 minutes (in case door is left
      open).  All in, I may have spent $250 on parts and my phone tells
      me when things happen.  Smartthing outlet looks like a "wall
      wart".  <br>
    </p>
    <p>I have been finding that my shop light gets triggered when my dog
      (sort of dog...more like hamster that barks) runs through the
      shop...and I suspect it has been triggering when small woodland
      creatures run through as well, so cat sized creatures should not
      be an issue to trigger.  The motion sensor is about 2" square and
      runs on a button cell, 4 months so far and is now at 30% battery
      life remaining.<br>
    </p>
    <p>Steve Dillen<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 2019-02-07 9:40 a.m., Steve Hammatt,
      Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:90414FD31C5E4280B6FAC7E4050A8844@DESKTOPTOA1F5G">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR:
          #000000">
          <div>I’m looking to remotely control an existing fan.</div>
          <div>The fan is currently manually controlled by a </div>
          <div>normal 110V 15A wall on-off switch.  I’m looking </div>
          <div>for hardware that can replace the existing switch </div>
          <div>and operate the fan for a pre-set (hopefully adjustable)
          </div>
          <div>length of time.  The new timer hardware would be
            wirelessly </div>
          <div>controlled by a remote pressure pad.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>Here’s the scenario:</div>
          <div>Cat comes into the laundry room (where the cat box is </div>
          <div>located) and enters the cat box.  The pressure pad would
          </div>
          <div>be outside the cat box entry and the cat would activate
            the </div>
          <div>pressure switch in the entry pad and a wireless signal
            would </div>
          <div>be transmitted to the 110V power switch located in the
            existing </div>
          <div>wall mounted gang box.  In my case, the entry pad is very
            near an </div>
          <div>existing outlet, so it could be 110V. The fan would
            automatically </div>
          <div>come on for a pre-determined amount of time, then
            automatically </div>
          <div>turn off.The cat exiting the cat box would have no affect
            on the fan </div>
          <div>since it’s already running.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>Any clever ideas from our Shop-Talk members?  The
            assembly of </div>
          <div>everything involved would take place in the shop, so the
            mandatory </div>
          <div>shop application is thereby satisfied.</div>
          <div>Thanks.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR:
            #000000">Steve Hammatt<br>
            Mount Vernon WA USA<br>
            <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.leatherplates.com">www.leatherplates.com</a><br>
            <br>
            <br>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------C7695906076BD938B24D7118--

--===============6312307683382926698==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6312307683382926698==--

---

From: Mark Andy via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 13:06:10 -0500

--===============4133951353443826615==

--0000000000003362bd058165d173
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Howdy,

Don't forget to also have it trigger a gate that comes down to block the
door so that the cat doesn't just immediately run off when its startled by
a fan turning on...

:-)

Mark

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 2:05 PM Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via
Shop-talk <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--0000000000003362bd058165d173
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Howdy,<div><br></div><div>Don&#39;t forget to also have it=
 trigger a gate that comes down to block the door so that the cat doesn&#39=
;t just immediately run off when its startled by a fan turning on...<br><br=
>:-)<br><br>Mark</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 2:05 PM Steve Hammatt, Mount V=
ernon WA USA via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">=
[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail=
_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204=
,204);padding-left:1ex">
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div style=3D"font-size:12pt;font-family:Calibri;color:rgb(0,0,0)">
<div>I=E2=80=99m looking to remotely control an existing fan.</div>
<div>The fan is currently manually controlled by a </div>
<div>normal 110V 15A wall on-off switch.=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99m looking </div>
<div>for hardware that can replace the existing switch </div>
<div>and operate the fan for a pre-set (hopefully adjustable) </div>
<div>length of time.=C2=A0 The new timer hardware would be wirelessly </div=
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--0000000000003362bd058165d173--

--===============4133951353443826615==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4133951353443826615==--