Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cove (or 'dish') style cut on a piece of wood.

From: Philip Ethier via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 12:17:33 -0600

--===============6925781401567861535==

--0000000000006a45a105818e359b

You need a buddy with a giant lathe.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 1:33 PM eric--- via Shop-talk <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'm making a piece of furniture that needs to have a rounded 'dish' cut
> into it.  Like a cove cut on a board, but just in a circle.  Think of a
> change plate where there is a bowl cutout on a board.
>
> The cut would look like if you had a table saw blade about 1/2" out of the
> table, then put a piece of wood straight down on it and twisted it in a
> circle.  I know that wouldn't work (and would be HUGELY unsafe.)
>
> Here is an image of the cut I am trying to make (there are two of them on
> this valet..
>
>
> https://www.etsy.com/listing/229799235/mens-valet-mens-valet-change-dish-modern
>
> Anyone know how to do that?  I can only find ways to make a cove
> lengthwise in a board.    The piece isn't small enough to put in a lathe
> (but I thought about making an insert, and that is my last resort, but I
> would rather not do that.)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
> Tech Viper
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C, 8.1, White
2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Turbo, Oxford White
http://www.mnautox.com

--0000000000006a45a105818e359b
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">You need a buddy with a giant lathe.</div><br><div class=
=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Dec 13, 2018=
 at 1:33 PM eric--- via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
m.net">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rg=
b(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">I&#39=
;m making a piece of furniture that needs
to have a rounded &#39;dish&#39; cut into it.=C2=A0 Like a cove cut on a bo=
ard,
but just in a circle.=C2=A0 Think of a change plate where there is a bowl
cutout on a board.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">The cut would look like if you had=
 a
table saw blade about 1/2&quot; out of the table, then put a piece of wood
straight down on it and twisted it in a circle.=C2=A0 I know that wouldn&#3=
9;t
work (and would be HUGELY unsafe.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Here is an image of the cut I am t=
rying
to make (there are two of them on this valet..</font>
<br>
<br><a href=3D"https://www.etsy.com/listing/229799235/mens-valet-mens-valet=
-change-dish-modern" target=3D"_blank"><font size=3D"2" color=3D"blue" face=
=3D"sans-serif">https://www.etsy.com/listing/229799235/mens-valet-mens-vale=
t-change-dish-modern</font></a>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Anyone know how to do that?=C2=A0 =
I
can only find ways to make a cove lengthwise in a board. =C2=A0 =C2=A0The
piece isn&#39;t small enough to put in a lathe (but I thought about making
an insert, and that is my last resort, but I would rather not do that.)</fo=
nt>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Thanks in advance!<br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a ratio=
nal
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div><br clear=3D"all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 class=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div=
 dir=3D"ltr"><div><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><span style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);fon=
t-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sa=
ns-serif;font-size:12.8px;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">Phil Ethier We=
st Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA</span><br></div><div><span style=3D"color:=
rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida grande&quot;,aria=
l,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">1973 Triumph Stag=
 LE22439UBW &quot;uncle jack&quot;, Sapphire Blue</span><br style=3D"color:=
rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida grande&quot;,aria=
l,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)"><span style=3D"co=
lor:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida grande&quot;,=
arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">2004 Suburban=
 8.1, Sport Red</span><br style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,gen=
eva,lucida,&quot;lucida grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-=
color:rgb(239,239,239)"><span style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana=
,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;backgro=
und-color:rgb(239,239,239)">2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl</span></di=
v><div><span style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&q=
uot;lucida grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239=
,239,239)">2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C, 8.1, White</span></div><div>2=
017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Turbo, Oxford White<br style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);fon=
t-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sa=
ns-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)"><a href=3D"http://www.mnautox.c=
om/" style=3D"color:rgb(0,24,57);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lu=
cida grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,2=
39)" target=3D"_blank">http://www.mnautox.com</a><br></div></div></div></di=
v></div></div></div></div></div>

--0000000000006a45a105818e359b--

--===============6925781401567861535==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============6925781401567861535==--

---

From: Randall via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:07:33 -0800

Hmm, looks like the list server is stuttering again.  I got Phil's reply,
but not the original post.

Anyway, if you had some way to guide the piece, I might try doing the table
saw trick.  But it would have to be a very shallow cut, repeated several
times to get 1/2" depth.  A good carbide wood blade will cut sideways, but
only to the depth of the carbide inserts.

Probably also not that hard to rig a wood lathe with the swing you need.
Maybe mount a cheap bench grinder so one end hangs off the edge of the bench
(giving you somewhere around 7' of swing) and drive the other end.  Main
difficulty with that is setting up the belt (or gear) train to turn it
slowly enough.  I've got a DC motor from an old treadmill that would
probably do the job, combined with a decent (load sensing) electronic speed
control.

-- Randall 
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild 

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Sinclair via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:50:17 -0800

Somewhere (never throw anything away!) I have a brochure from the '50s 
for a table saw that explains how to make a bowl.  Always thought it 
pretty risky, myself.

Mike

On 2/10/2019 1:07 PM, Randall via Shop-talk wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Karl Vacek via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 17:44:13 -0600

I replied long ago when this first came up.  If you have a radial arm saw 
it's simple.  Clamp the workpiece in place under the blade, lock the 
carriage in the proper location, start the saw, lower the blade to the 
desired depth, unlock the carriage swivel, and rotate the carriage slowly 
to form the bowl.  This method is limited to the radius of the available 
blades.  You could also get fancy and, once the bowl is formed, lock the 
carriage swivel and move the blade along the arm to make an oval, locking 
and spinning the carriage again when you get the oval as long as you want.

On February 10, 2019 4:02:04 PM Randall via Shop-talk 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 19:23:04 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5545006395683763513==
 boundary="------------0001999E7A884D57A8B0601E"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------0001999E7A884D57A8B0601E
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Looks like I missed the original message.

I've never done this but here what I'd try:

1. Use a router with a carbide straight bit and a circle-cutting jig to 
cut concentric circles starting with the outer edge of the bowl and 
moving inward.  You'll need to figure out the depth for each successive 
circle depending on how steep you want the bowl to be.

2. Use a chisel or a forstner bit in your drill press to remove the 
centermost section (the piece that you screwed your circle jig into).  
At this point, you'll have a "step" bowl, similar to what a strip mine 
might look like.

3. To smooth out the steps, I'd use a 4 1/2" angle grinder and a flap 
grinding disc.  In fact, as I write this, I suspect you could make the 
entire bowl using just the angle grinder.  You can buy a sculpting disk 
for an angle grinder that has chain saw teeth.  Use that to shape the 
bowl and the flap disk to smooth the gouges.

On 02/10/19 13:17, Philip Ethier via Shop-talk wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 1:33 PM eric--- via Shop-talk 
>
>     I'm making a piece of furniture that needs to have a rounded
>     'dish' cut into it.  Like a cove cut on a board, but just in a
>     circle.  Think of a change plate where there is a bowl cutout on a
>     board.
>
>     The cut would look like if you had a table saw blade about 1/2"
>     out of the table, then put a piece of wood straight down on it and
>     twisted it in a circle.  I know that wouldn't work (and would be
>     HUGELY unsafe.)
>
>     Here is an image of the cut I am trying to make (there are two of
>     them on this valet..
>
>     lengthwise in a board.  The piece isn't small enough to put in a
>     lathe (but I thought about making an insert, and that is my last
>     resort, but I would rather not do that.)
>
>     Thanks in advance!
>
>     "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
>     rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
>     territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
> http://www.mnautox.com <http://www.mnautox.com/>
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------0001999E7A884D57A8B0601E
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Looks like I missed the original
      message.<br>
      <br>
      I've never done this but here what I'd try:<br>
      <br>
      1. Use a router with a carbide straight bit and a circle-cutting
      jig to cut concentric circles starting with the outer edge of the
      bowl and moving inward.  You'll need to figure out the depth for
      each successive circle depending on how steep you want the bowl to
      be.<br>
      <br>
      2. Use a chisel or a forstner bit in your drill press to remove
      the centermost section (the piece that you screwed your circle jig
      into).  At this point, you'll have a "step" bowl, similar to what
      a strip mine might look like.  <br>
      <br>
      3. To smooth out the steps, I'd use a 4 1/2" angle grinder and a
      flap grinding disc.  In fact, as I write this, I suspect you could
      make the entire bowl using just the angle grinder.  You can buy a
      sculpting disk for an angle grinder that has chain saw teeth.  Use
      that to shape the bowl and the flap disk to smooth the gouges.<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      On 02/10/19 13:17, Philip Ethier via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAE16_w2CyhmNxYWuD8U8=[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      <div dir="ltr">You need a buddy with a giant lathe.</div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 1:33
          PM eric--- via Shop-talk &lt;<a
            href="mailto:[email-masked]"
            moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><font
            size="2" face="sans-serif">I'm making a piece of furniture
            that needs
            to have a rounded 'dish' cut into it.  Like a cove cut on a
            board,
            but just in a circle.  Think of a change plate where there
            is a bowl
            cutout on a board.</font>
          <br>
          <br>
          <font size="2" face="sans-serif">The cut would look like if
            you had a
            table saw blade about 1/2" out of the table, then put a
            piece of wood
            straight down on it and twisted it in a circle.  I know that
            wouldn't
            work (and would be HUGELY unsafe.)</font>
          <br>
          <br>
          <font size="2" face="sans-serif">Here is an image of the cut I
            am trying
            to make (there are two of them on this valet..</font>
          <br>
          <br>
          <a
href="https://www.etsy.com/listing/229799235/mens-valet-mens-valet-change-dish-modern"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"><font color="blue"
              size="2" face="sans-serif">https://www.etsy.com/listing/229799235/mens-valet-mens-valet-change-dish-modern</font></a>
          <br>
          <br>
          <font size="2" face="sans-serif">Anyone know how to do that? 
            I
            can only find ways to make a cove lengthwise in a board.  
             The
            piece isn't small enough to put in a lathe (but I thought
            about making
            an insert, and that is my last resort, but I would rather
            not do that.)</font>
          <br>
          <br>
          <font size="2" face="sans-serif">Thanks in advance!<br>
            <br>
            Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
            Tech Viper<br>
            "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights
            as a rational
            being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
            territory." Ralph
            Waldo Emerson </font>_______________________________________________<br>
          <br>
          <a href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true">[email-masked]</a><br>
          Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br>
          <br>
          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]"
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
          <br>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
      <br clear="all">
      <div><br>
      </div>
      -- <br>
      <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature">
        <div dir="ltr">
          <div>
            <div dir="ltr">
              <div>
                <div dir="ltr">
                  <div>
                    <div dir="ltr">
                      <div><span
                          style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida
grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12.8px;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">Phil
                          Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA</span><br>
                      </div>
                      <div><span
                          style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida
grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">1973
                          Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire
                          Blue</span><br
                          style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida
grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">
                        <span
                          style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida
grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">2004
                          Suburban 8.1, Sport Red</span><br
                          style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida
grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">
                        <span
                          style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida
grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">2005
                          Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl</span></div>
                      <div><span
                          style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida
grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">2006
                          Gulf Stream Conquest Super C, 8.1, White</span></div>
                      <div>2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Turbo, Oxford White<br
style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida
grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">
                        <a href="http://www.mnautox.com/"
                          style="color:rgb(0,24,57);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&quot;lucida
grande&quot;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)"
                          target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.mnautox.com</a><br>
                      </div>
                    </div>
                  </div>
                </div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <p><br>
    </p>
  </body>
</html>

--------------0001999E7A884D57A8B0601E--

--===============5545006395683763513==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5545006395683763513==--

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 08:12:37 -0500

> Looks like I missed the original message.

FYI:  The original message was in mid-December.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:25:20 -0800

--===============3659171243713683051==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0010_01D4C14C.73918960"

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D4C14C.73918960
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Check these suggestions out.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3Dwooden+bowl+with+table+saw=

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com

-----Original Message-----=20
From: Randall via Shop-talk=20
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:07 PM=20
To: [email-masked] ; 'Shop-talk'=20
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cove (or 'dish') style cut on a piece of wood.=20

Hmm, looks like the list server is stuttering again.  I got Phil's =
reply,
but not the original post.

Anyway, if you had some way to guide the piece, I might try doing the =
table
saw trick.  But it would have to be a very shallow cut, repeated several
times to get 1/2" depth.  A good carbide wood blade will cut sideways, =
but
only to the depth of the carbide inserts.

Probably also not that hard to rig a wood lathe with the swing you need.
Maybe mount a cheap bench grinder so one end hangs off the edge of the =
bench
(giving you somewhere around 7' of swing) and drive the other end.  Main
difficulty with that is setting up the belt (or gear) train to turn it
slowly enough.  I've got a DC motor from an old treadmill that would
probably do the job, combined with a decent (load sensing) electronic =
speed
control.

-- Randall=20
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild=20

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D4C14C.73918960
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>Check these suggestions out.</DIV>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3Dwooden+bowl+with+t=
able+saw">https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3Dwooden+bowl+with=
+table+saw</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Steve Hammatt</DIV>
<DIV>Mount Vernon WA USA</DIV>
<DIV>www.leatherplates.com</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-----Original Message----- </DIV>
<DIV>From: Randall via Shop-talk </DIV>
<DIV>Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:07 PM </DIV>
<DIV>To: [email-masked] ; 'Shop-talk' </DIV>
<DIV>Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cove (or 'dish') style cut on a piece of =
wood.=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Hmm, looks like the list server is stuttering again.&nbsp; I got =
Phil's=20
reply,</DIV>
<DIV>but not the original post.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Anyway, if you had some way to guide the piece, I might try doing =
the=20
table</DIV>
<DIV>saw trick.&nbsp; But it would have to be a very shallow cut, =
repeated=20
several</DIV>
<DIV>times to get 1/2" depth.&nbsp; A good carbide wood blade will cut =
sideways,=20
but</DIV>
<DIV>only to the depth of the carbide inserts.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Probably also not that hard to rig a wood lathe with the swing you=20
need.</DIV>
<DIV>Maybe mount a cheap bench grinder so one end hangs off the edge of =
the=20
bench</DIV>
<DIV>(giving you somewhere around 7' of swing) and drive the other =
end.&nbsp;=20
Main</DIV>
<DIV>difficulty with that is setting up the belt (or gear) train to turn =

it</DIV>
<DIV>slowly enough.&nbsp; I've got a DC motor from an old treadmill that =

would</DIV>
<DIV>probably do the job, combined with a decent (load sensing) =
electronic=20
speed</DIV>
<DIV>control.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-- Randall </DIV>
<DIV>56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver</DIV>
<DIV>71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild</DIV>
<DIV>71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>_______________________________________________</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>[email-masked]</DIV>
<DIV>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html</DIV>
<DIV>Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.96</DIV>
<DIV>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Unsubscribe/Manage:=20
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01D4C14C.73918960--

--===============3659171243713683051==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3659171243713683051==--

---

From: "John P. New via Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 18:30:10 -0500

Heh, the original post was in December 2018, so you've just forgotten that you saw it...

John P. New
London, Ontario, Canada

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 4:07:33 PM EST Randall via Shop-talk wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> 
> 

[email-masked]