Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Gas Can Spout

From: Kent Sullivan via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 11:04:39 -0800

I recently had quite good luck with replacement spouts from this outfit:

https://ezpourspout.com/

I found their application guide to be helpful in making sure I ordered the
right thing.

For the kit I ordered, I found eBay to be cheaper (seller: greatbrands) than
Amazon.

--Kent

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of John Miller
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 8:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Gas Can Spout

On 11/19/2018 6:41 PM, John Innis wrote:
> I found some replacement spouts at the local farm store.
> https://www.theisens.com/products/replacement-spout-kit/72900015/

Ah yes, the conversion kit for the California-compliant plastic gas cans
with the horrible vapor-trap nozzle, for those who actually want their gas
cans to be red and don't want to buy a white finger-quotes 'water can'.

They're also widely available on the usual Internet sewers (Amazon,
eBay) at varying prices.

John.

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

---

From: Eric Russell via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 19:06:20 -0500

Thanks for all the replies. The issue is not with the actual spout (that 
is easy to replace) but the part that is 'built in' to the gas can. This 
is a flexible plastic part that allows the cap to fold down flush to the 
top of the can and pull out for pouring. After being flexed a number of 
times the plastic fatigues & splits.

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuels

-- 
Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 17:31:09 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============7949940007531514689==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0016_01D49D40.CA4FC440"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01D49D40.CA4FC440
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Speaking of gas cans, here's my suggestion for something that I really=20
liked when I purchased my 5 gal diesel can.  It really made a difference =

when refueling my truck and being able to sit the can on the edge of the =

pickup bed and fuel the tank, no more holding and tipping it up to make=20
it work.  Go here:
https://www.surecanusa.com/
plus their extremely strong and made in the USA.  BTW, they=E2=80=99re =
now=20
available in many of the typical places.

Kent, hoping you and Julie and the boys had a great Christmas!

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com

-----Original Message-----=20
From: Kent Sullivan via Shop-talk=20
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 11:04 AM=20
To: [email-masked]=20
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Gas Can Spout=20

I recently had quite good luck with replacement spouts from this outfit:
https://ezpourspout.com/
I found their application guide to be helpful in making sure I ordered =
the
right thing.
For the kit I ordered, I found eBay to be cheaper (seller: greatbrands) =
than
Amazon.
--Kent

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of John =
Miller
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 8:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Gas Can Spout

Ah yes, the conversion kit for the California-compliant plastic gas cans
with the horrible vapor-trap nozzle, for those who actually want their =
gas
cans to be red and don't want to buy a white finger-quotes 'water can'.

John.
------=_NextPart_000_0016_01D49D40.CA4FC440
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>Speaking of gas cans, here's my suggestion for something that I =
really=20
</DIV>
<DIV>liked when I purchased my 5 gal diesel can.&nbsp; It really made a=20
difference </DIV>
<DIV>when refueling my truck and being able to sit the can on the edge =
of the=20
</DIV>
<DIV>pickup bed and fuel the tank, no more holding and tipping it up to =
make=20
</DIV>
<DIV>it work.&nbsp; Go here:</DIV>
<DIV><A =
href=3D"https://www.surecanusa.com/">https://www.surecanusa.com/</A></DIV=
<DIV>plus their extremely strong and made in the USA.&nbsp; BTW, =
they=E2=80=99re now=20
</DIV>
<DIV>available in many of the typical places.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Kent, hoping you and Julie and the boys had a great =
Christmas!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Steve Hammatt</DIV>
<DIV>Mount Vernon WA USA</DIV>
<DIV><A =
href=3D"http://www.leatherplates.com">www.leatherplates.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-----Original Message----- </DIV>
<DIV>From: Kent Sullivan via Shop-talk </DIV>
<DIV>Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 11:04 AM </DIV>
<DIV>To: [email-masked] </DIV>
<DIV>Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Gas Can Spout </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I recently had quite good luck with replacement spouts from this=20
outfit:</DIV>
<DIV><A =
href=3D"https://ezpourspout.com/">https://ezpourspout.com/</A></DIV>
<DIV>I found their application guide to be helpful in making sure I =
ordered=20
the</DIV>
<DIV>right thing.</DIV>
<DIV>For the kit I ordered, I found eBay to be cheaper (seller: =
greatbrands)=20
than</DIV>
<DIV>Amazon.</DIV>
<DIV>--Kent</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-----Original Message-----</DIV>
<DIV>From: Shop-talk &lt;[email-masked]&gt; On Behalf =
Of John=20
Miller</DIV>
<DIV>Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 8:59 AM</DIV>
<DIV>To: [email-masked]</DIV>
<DIV>Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Gas Can Spout</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>On 11/19/2018 6:41 PM, John Innis wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>&gt; I found some replacement spouts at the local farm store.</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;=20
https://www.theisens.com/products/replacement-spout-kit/72900015/</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Ah yes, the conversion kit for the California-compliant plastic gas =

cans</DIV>
<DIV>with the horrible vapor-trap nozzle, for those who actually want =
their=20
gas</DIV>
<DIV>cans to be red and don't want to buy a white finger-quotes 'water=20
can'.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>They're also widely available on the usual Internet sewers =
(Amazon,</DIV>
<DIV>eBay) at varying prices.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>John.</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01D49D40.CA4FC440--

--===============7949940007531514689==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7949940007531514689==--

---

From: Arvid via Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 20:54:59 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============3833180655372003480==
 boundary="------------B4D364EB9F036629D7EC7F4B"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------B4D364EB9F036629D7EC7F4B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I saw those a few weeks ago at Mills Fleet Farm in Lakeville Minnesota. 
Similar to your reaction, I thought they looked like a great idea. Sadly 
had a little bit of sticker shock when I looked at the price.

On 12/26/18 7:31 PM, Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk wrote:
> Speaking of gas cans, here's my suggestion for something that I really
> liked when I purchased my 5 gal diesel can.  It really made a difference
> when refueling my truck and being able to sit the can on the edge of the
> pickup bed and fuel the tank, no more holding and tipping it up to make
> it work.  Go here:
> plus their extremely strong and made in the USA.  BTW, they’re now
> www.leatherplates.com <http://www.leatherplates.com>
>

--------------B4D364EB9F036629D7EC7F4B
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <p>I saw those a few weeks ago at Mills Fleet Farm in Lakeville
      Minnesota. Similar to your reaction, I thought they looked like a
      great idea. Sadly had a little bit of sticker shock when I looked
      at the price.<br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 12/26/18 7:31 PM, Steve Hammatt,
      Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:B30097945F1B40399E8128F95C52AD26@DESKTOPTOA1F5G">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR:
          #000000">
          <div>Speaking of gas cans, here's my suggestion for something
            that I really </div>
          <div>liked when I purchased my 5 gal diesel can.  It really
            made a difference </div>
          <div>when refueling my truck and being able to sit the can on
            the edge of the </div>
          <div>pickup bed and fuel the tank, no more holding and tipping
            it up to make </div>
          <div>it work.  Go here:</div>
          <div><a href="https://www.surecanusa.com/"
              moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.surecanusa.com/</a></div>
          <div>plus their extremely strong and made in the USA.  BTW,
            they’re now </div>
          <div>available in many of the typical places.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>Kent, hoping you and Julie and the boys had a great
            Christmas!</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>Steve Hammatt</div>
          <div>Mount Vernon WA USA</div>
          <div><a href="http://www.leatherplates.com"
              moz-do-not-send="true">www.leatherplates.com</a></div>
          <br>
        </div>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------B4D364EB9F036629D7EC7F4B--

--===============3833180655372003480==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3833180655372003480==--

---

From: "Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 10:21:17 -0800

--===============1039243869506408768==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_007B_01D49E97.119EFF30"

------=_NextPart_000_007B_01D49E97.119EFF30
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

There were a couple of motivations for me to make the purchase of the =
SureCan.=20
1.  Made in the USA
2.  Appears to be very rugged and at the same time relatively light =
weight.=20
3.  I=E2=80=99d already switched to the Eagle cans but thought the cans =
were a bit involved to=20
operate plus the purchase pricing between Eagle vs. SureCan was a near =
toss-up.
4.  And, most importantly I had experienced the opportunity to load 5 =
gal of diesel into=20
my truck (pulling my 24=E2=80=99 trailer) along side the road on I-80 in =
downtown Chicago rush=20
hour.  Difficult enough already but the holding the tank high up to =
drain all 5 gals (my=20
Cummins engine requires a minimum of 5 gal to simply re-prime the fuel =
pump) was=20
reason enough to switch to the easy to operate bottom draining design of =
the SureCan.

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA
www.leatherplates.com

=20
From: old dirtbeard=20
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2018 8:13 AM
To: Arvid=20
Cc: Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA ; Kent Sullivan ; =
[email-masked]=20
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Gas Can Spout
Hi Arvid,=20

Ye, the price is higher than what we typically would see for a regular =
plastic gas can. I have not purchased one of these as I have my US-made =
steel Eagle cans that I like:
https://www.zoro.com/eagle-type-ii-safety-can-red-5-gal-u2-51s/i/G2583402=
/feature-product?gclid=3DEAIaIQobChMIv-ertvPC3wIVErnACh04pQkYEAQYBSABEgJJ=
zfD_BwE

What I have grown to know over my life is that I have never regretted =
paying a higher price for a better product, but ultimately I almost =
always regret buying a product based upon price. I think it is the =
"China Syndrome" where they can put such a low price on a product that =
most of us just cannot help ourselves from buying it. It is the Harbor =
Freight marketing strategy.=20

Anyway, sorry to be preachy, but I am pleased to pay a premium for =
high-quality products, particularly those made in the USA. Ultimately if =
we are not willing to pay for quality, all we will have to choose from =
are products that are made down to a price, and that will send us down =
the road of short-lived, mediocre functionality, disposable products =
that are soon to overflow the landfills.=20

Again, sorry to preach, and I have no idea how good these gas can are.  =
:-)

best,

Doug

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 9:28 PM Arvid via Shop-talk =
<[email-masked]> wrote:

  I saw those a few weeks ago at Mills Fleet Farm in Lakeville =
Minnesota. Similar to your reaction, I thought they looked like a great =
idea. Sadly had a little bit of sticker shock when I looked at the =
price.

  On 12/26/18 7:31 PM, Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk =
wrote:

    Speaking of gas cans, here's my suggestion for something that I =
really=20
    liked when I purchased my 5 gal diesel can.  It really made a =
difference=20
    when refueling my truck and being able to sit the can on the edge of =
the=20
    pickup bed and fuel the tank, no more holding and tipping it up to =
make=20
    it work.  Go here:
    https://www.surecanusa.com/
    plus their extremely strong and made in the USA.  BTW, =
they=E2=80=99re now=20
    available in many of the typical places.

    Steve Hammatt
    Mount Vernon WA USA
    www.leatherplates.com

  [email-masked]
  Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
  Suggested annual donation  $12.96
  Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

  Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

------=_NextPart_000_007B_01D49E97.119EFF30
	charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>There were a couple of motivations for me to make the purchase of =
the=20
SureCan. </DIV>
<DIV>1.&nbsp; Made in the USA</DIV>
<DIV>2.&nbsp; Appears to be very rugged and at the same time relatively =
light=20
weight. </DIV>
<DIV>3.&nbsp; I=E2=80=99d already switched to the Eagle cans but thought =
the cans were a=20
bit involved to </DIV>
<DIV>operate plus the purchase pricing between Eagle vs. SureCan was a =
near=20
toss-up.</DIV>
<DIV>4.&nbsp; And, most importantly I had experienced the opportunity to =
load 5=20
gal of diesel into </DIV>
<DIV>my truck (pulling my 24=E2=80=99 trailer) along side the road on =
I-80 in downtown=20
Chicago rush </DIV>
<DIV>hour.&nbsp; Difficult enough already but the holding the tank high =
up to=20
drain all 5 gals (my </DIV>
<DIV>Cummins engine requires a <U>minimum</U> of 5 gal to simply =
re-prime the=20
fuel pump) was </DIV>
<DIV>reason enough to switch to the easy to operate bottom draining =
design of=20
the SureCan.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: =
#000000">Steve=20
Hammatt<BR>Mount Vernon WA USA<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.leatherplates.com">www.leatherplates.com</A></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: =
#000000"><BR><BR><BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #000000; =
PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 4px solid; =
BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt tahoma">
<DIV style=3D"font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]>old=20
dirtbeard</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Friday, December 28, 2018 8:13 AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=[email-masked]>Arvid</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Cc:</B> <A title=[email-masked]>Steve Hammatt, Mount =
Vernon WA=20
USA</A> ; <A title=[email-masked]>Kent Sullivan</A> ; <A=20
title=[email-masked]>[email-masked]</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Shop-talk] Gas Can =
Spout</DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #000000; =
PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 4px solid; =
BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #000000">
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>Hi Arvid,=20
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Ye, the price is higher than what we typically would see for a =
regular=20
plastic gas can. I have not purchased one of these as I have my US-made =
steel=20
Eagle cans that I like:</DIV>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"https://www.zoro.com/eagle-type-ii-safety-can-red-5-gal-u2-51s/i/=
G2583402/feature-product?gclid=3DEAIaIQobChMIv-ertvPC3wIVErnACh04pQkYEAQY=
BSABEgJJzfD_BwE">https://www.zoro.com/eagle-type-ii-safety-can-red-5-gal-=
u2-51s/i/G2583402/feature-product?gclid=3DEAIaIQobChMIv-ertvPC3wIVErnACh0=
4pQkYEAQYBSABEgJJzfD_BwE</A><BR></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What I have grown to know over my life is that I have never =
regretted=20
paying a higher price for a better product, but ultimately I almost =
always=20
regret buying a product based upon price. I think it is the "China =
Syndrome"=20
where they can put such a low price on a product that most of us just =
cannot=20
help ourselves from buying it. It is the Harbor Freight marketing =
strategy.=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Anyway, sorry to be preachy, but I am pleased to pay a premium for=20
high-quality products, particularly those made in the USA. Ultimately if =
we are=20
not willing to pay for quality, all we will have to choose from are =
products=20
that are made down to a price, and that will send us down the road of=20
short-lived, mediocre functionality, disposable products that are soon =
to=20
overflow the landfills. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Again, sorry to preach, and I have no idea how good these gas can=20
are.&nbsp; :-)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>best,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Doug</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dgmail_quote>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 9:28 PM Arvid via Shop-talk=20
&lt;<A>[email-masked]</A>&gt; wrote:<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dgmail_quote=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 1ex; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(204,204,204) 1px solid; =
MARGIN: 0px 0px 0px 0.8ex">
  <DIV bgcolor=3D"#FFFFFF">
  <P>I saw those a few weeks ago at Mills Fleet Farm in Lakeville =
Minnesota.=20
  Similar to your reaction, I thought they looked like a great idea. =
Sadly had a=20
  little bit of sticker shock when I looked at the price.<BR></P>
  <DIV class=3Dgmail-m_-7288430910075884127moz-cite-prefix>On 12/26/18 =
7:31 PM,=20
  Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA via Shop-talk wrote:<BR></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite">
    <DIV dir=3Dltr>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: calibri; COLOR: =
rgb(0,0,0)">
    <DIV>Speaking of gas cans, here's my suggestion for something that I =
really=20
    </DIV>
    <DIV>liked when I purchased my 5 gal diesel can.&nbsp; It really =
made a=20
    difference </DIV>
    <DIV>when refueling my truck and being able to sit the can on the =
edge of=20
    the </DIV>
    <DIV>pickup bed and fuel the tank, no more holding and tipping it up =
to make=20
    </DIV>
    <DIV>it work.&nbsp; Go here:</DIV>
    <DIV><A href=3D"https://www.surecanusa.com/"=20
    target=3D_blank>https://www.surecanusa.com/</A></DIV>
    <DIV>plus their extremely strong and made in the USA.&nbsp; BTW, =
they=E2=80=99re now=20
    </DIV>
    <DIV>available in many of the typical places.</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Kent, hoping you and Julie and the boys had a great =
Christmas!</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Steve Hammatt</DIV>
    <DIV>Mount Vernon WA USA</DIV>
    <DIV><A href=3D"http://www.leatherplates.com"=20
    target=3D_blank>www.leatherplates.com</A></DIV>
    =
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>_________________________=
______________________<BR><BR><A=20
  target=3D_blank>[email-masked]</A><BR>Donate: <A=20
  href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html" rel=3Dnoreferrer=20
  target=3D_blank>http://www.team.net/donate.html</A><BR>Suggested =
annual=20
  donation&nbsp; $12.96<BR>Archive: <A=20
  href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3Dnoreferrer=20
  =
target=3D_blank>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</A><BR><BR>Unsubs=
cribe/Manage:=20
  <A =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]=
m"=20
  rel=3Dnoreferrer=20
  =
target=3D_blank>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/dirtbeard=
@live.com</A><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></=
HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_007B_01D49E97.119EFF30--

--===============1039243869506408768==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1039243869506408768==--