Subject: [Shop-talk] [OT] Computer History/Bill Godbout

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 08:46:25 -0800

Came across this today.  I think there's a few computer 'nuts' on this 
list who might be interested.

I hadn't heard about Godbout, but knew of the Homebrew Computer Club 
which, allegedly,  met at a dive bar called the Oasis In Palo 
Alto--which has probably been torn down for yet another highrise luxury 
condo building--and I believe Jobs and Wozniak were members.   I got 
into computers after this 'first wave,' but the S-100 bus was still 
popular (I didn't know much about it).   Side note: I lived for a couple 
years across from the Wagon Wheel Restaurant in Mountain View, where the 
Fairchild Semiconductor 'traitorous eight' allegedly met to plot their 
defection from Fairchild, and a couple blocks from the HQ of Netscape 
which, when clobbered by Microsoft engendered the anti-trust suit (which 
distracted MS for a couple years but didn't do much to hamper its 
monopolistic tendencies).  I also went to school at Chico State and 
visited Paradise a few times, so this hits kinda close to home.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/18/bill_godbout_obituary/

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]