Subject: [Shop-talk] Tricky problem with a GMC 3500

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 14:05:01 -0500 11/21/2018 02:05:07 PM, Serialize complete at 11/21/2018 02:05:07 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============7834614910140767656==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 0068D4F28525834C_=

1998 GMC 3500 mason dump.  LOW miles ( 87K)  Gas engine

When it runs, it is flawless.  Great idle, lots of power, no issues.  Kept 
in heated garage.  Always on a battery tender.

About 6 months ago (maybe longer as this truck is rarely used.)  when I 
would first start it, it would idle way too low and stall.  I few minutes 
of warm-up, and it was fine.

Then, this past month, I had to move it to one of my out buildings for 
about 3 weeks.  The building has lots of moisture (it will NOT stop 
raining and now snowing here.)

I went to start it up and it wouldn't start.  Engine turned over fine, 
sounded normal, but it wouldn't start.  After I tried a  few times, the 
engine would 'diesel' when I stopped cranking. 

I tried some starter fluid and it didn't change anything (so I thought no 
spark.)  Battery was on a 'boost starter' plugged in the wall.  Gas smell 
coming out of tailpipe.

Checked spark, all good.  Under the hood seemed dry (there was no 
condensation or anything) but the building had a wet floor.

After some wrangling with a tractor, fork-lift, and a few new vocabulary 
words,  I got it onto the main garage where I let it sit over night with 
the hood up.

So I tried it today and it started right up.  So this is clearly an issue 
with the moisture.  My question is, where do I start to troubleshoot?  I 
can't predict it being moist in the other garage (and when it's there, 
it's away from all my tools etc.)

ODBC tool has no codes.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  I'd hate to be stuck on the side of the 
road because of rain or something. 

Thanks!

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
--=_alternative 0068D4F28525834C_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">1998 GMC 3500 mason dump. &nbsp;LOW miles
( 87K) &nbsp;Gas engine</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">When it runs, it is flawless. &nbsp;Great
idle, lots of power, no issues. &nbsp;Kept in heated garage. &nbsp;Always
on a battery tender.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">About 6 months ago (maybe longer as
this truck is rarely used.) &nbsp;when I would first start it, it would
idle way too low and stall. &nbsp;I few minutes of warm-up, and it was
fine.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Then, this past month, I had to move
it to one of my out buildings for about 3 weeks. &nbsp;The building has
lots of moisture (it will NOT stop raining and now snowing here.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I went to start it up and it wouldn't
start. &nbsp;Engine turned over fine, sounded normal, but it wouldn't start.
&nbsp;After I tried a &nbsp;few times, the engine would 'diesel' when I
stopped cranking. &nbsp;</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I tried some starter fluid and it didn't
change anything (so I thought no spark.) &nbsp;Battery was on a 'boost
starter' plugged in the wall. &nbsp;Gas smell coming out of tailpipe.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Checked spark, all good. &nbsp;Under
the hood seemed dry (there was no condensation or anything) but the building
had a wet floor.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">After some wrangling with a tractor,
fork-lift, and a few new vocabulary words, &nbsp;I got it onto the main
garage where I let it sit over night with the hood up.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">So I tried it today and it started right
up. &nbsp;So this is clearly an issue with the moisture. &nbsp;My question
is, where do I start to troubleshoot? &nbsp;I can't predict it being moist
in the other garage (and when it's there, it's away from all my tools etc.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">ODBC tool has no codes.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Any ideas on how to fix this? &nbsp;I'd
hate to be stuck on the side of the road because of rain or something.
&nbsp;</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
Thanks!</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>
--=_alternative 0068D4F28525834C_=--

--===============7834614910140767656==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============7834614910140767656==--

---

From: RONALD GRIFFING <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 13:27:05 -0700 (MST)

------=_Part_0_142644865.1542831626607
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I would check the distributor cap first.<br><br><br>Sent from Xfinity Connect Application<br><br><br>-----Original Message-----<br><br>From: [email-masked]<br>To: [email-masked]<br>Sent: 2018-11-21 11:57:12 AM <br>Subject: [Shop-talk] Tricky problem with a GMC 3500<br><br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">1998 GMC 3500 mason dump. &nbsp;LOW miles
Waldo Emerson </font><br><br>
------=_Part_0_142644865.1542831626607

[email-masked]

------=_Part_0_142644865.1542831626607--