Subject: [Shop-talk] Tire size/capability question

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 16:02:23 -0400

--===============8374813747166423006==

--000000000000ca19cc0577bd1940

In cleaning out the garage/shop of my recently-deceased father-in-law, i
ran across two pairs of P215/70/R15 tires. They're bagged and unmounted,
and appear to be in similar and reasonable shape (about 50% tread
remaining).

He also had a 1969 Ford F100 pickup that has been sitting for a while. The
tires are pretty beat and one will not hold air. They're 235/75/R15. I got
it running while I was out there last week, but with the one rear flat, it
was tough to evaluate it much. Electrically it appeared solid. I drove it
about 100 feet, so the clutch, first and reverse all worked fine.

I realize they're not quite the same size, but I wonder if I couldn't
replace the tires currently on the truck with the four unmounted tires. I
realize they're slightly different in width and circumference, but they're
pretty doggone close. This isn't going to be used as a hauler. More likely
my mother-in-law will sell it (sigh), and I figure that having four decent
and inflated tires gives a better negotiating position than requiring a
buyer to tow his purchase away...

Aside from aesthetics and (slightly) incorrect speedo/odometer, what Bad
things could potentially come from putting these tires on the truck?

Yes, i would probably try to keep it, were it not 2000 miles away (its in
western Colorado, I'm in northern Virginia) and my 3 young children and my
self-employment keeping me busy enough.

Thanks for all your sage wisdom!

-Peter

--000000000000ca19cc0577bd1940
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>In cleaning out the garage/shop of my recently-deceas=
ed father-in-law, i ran across two pairs of P215/70/R15 tires. They&#39;re =
bagged and unmounted, and appear to be in similar and reasonable shape (abo=
ut 50% tread remaining).</div><div><br></div>He also had a 1969 Ford F100 p=
ickup that has been sitting for a while. The tires are pretty beat and one =
will not hold air. They&#39;re 235/75/R15. I got it running while I was out=
 there last week, but with the one rear flat, it was tough to evaluate it m=
uch. Electrically it appeared solid. I drove it about 100 feet, so the clut=
ch, first and reverse all worked fine.<div><br></div><div>I realize they&#3=
9;re not quite the same size, but I wonder if I couldn&#39;t replace the ti=
res currently on the truck with the four unmounted tires. I realize they&#3=
9;re slightly different in width and circumference, but they&#39;re pretty =
doggone close. This isn&#39;t going to be used as a hauler. More likely my =
mother-in-law will sell it (sigh), and I figure that having four decent and=
 inflated tires gives a better negotiating position than requiring a buyer =
to tow his purchase away...</div><div><br></div><div>Aside from aesthetics =
and (slightly) incorrect speedo/odometer, what Bad things could potentially=
 come from putting these tires on the truck?</div><div><br></div><div>Yes, =
i would probably try to keep it, were it not 2000 miles away (its in wester=
n Colorado, I&#39;m in northern Virginia) and my 3 young children and my se=
lf-employment keeping me busy enough.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks for a=
ll your sage wisdom!</div><div><br></div><div>-Peter</div></div>

--000000000000ca19cc0577bd1940--

--===============8374813747166423006==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============8374813747166423006==--