Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Crawl space Vents

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 14:33:04 -0500

--===============2015310935514510641==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-050419FE-612C-4478-8C59-3CF704404AB5
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

My understanding is the vents are there to keep humidity down. Moisture come=
s out of the dirt & from the house above. Some houses have poly on the dirt &=
 some have insulated floors, both of which cut down on the moisture. Take a l=
ook at the floor structure. Is there any sign of mold? If not, I wouldn=E2=80=
=99t bother taking the covers off. If there is, I=E2=80=99d take care of the=
 mold, repair any damage, add poly & leave the vents open. It wouldn=E2=80=99=
t hurt to have a fee contractors take a look & make suggestions.=20

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne=20
We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity

On Oct 30, 2018, at 9:57 AM, Robert Nogueira <[email-masked]> wrote:

The house attached to my garage is pier and beam with a crawl space.  On two=
 ends of the foundation are some vents which have removable covers. The cove=
rs have been on for many years,  The crawl space is bone dry.
The question, do need to remove the covers?  If so which season?
Thanks,
 Bob in Texas=20
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail-050419FE-612C-4478-8C59-3CF704404AB5
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">My understanding is the vents are there to k=
eep humidity down. Moisture comes out of the dirt &amp; from the house above=
. Some houses have poly on the dirt &amp; some have insulated floors, both o=
f which cut down on the moisture. Take a look at the floor structure. Is the=
re any sign of mold? If not, I wouldn=E2=80=99t bother taking the covers off=
. If there is, I=E2=80=99d take care of the mold, repair any damage, add pol=
y &amp; leave the vents open. It wouldn=E2=80=99t hurt to have a fee contrac=
tors take a look &amp; make suggestions.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Peace,</di=
v><div>Pat<br><br><div id=3D"AppleMailSignature" dir=3D"ltr">Pat Horne&nbsp;=
<div>We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity</div><div><br></div></d=
iv><div dir=3D"ltr"><br>On Oct 30, 2018, at 9:57 AM, Robert Nogueira &lt;<a h=
ref=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></div><div d=
ir=3D"ltr"><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"><p style=3D"margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; line-height: normal;">=
<span style=3D"font-weight: bold; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"=
>The house attached to my garage is pier and beam with a crawl space.&nbsp; O=
n two ends of the foundation are some vents which have removable covers. The=
 covers have been on for many years,&nbsp; The crawl space is bone dry.</spa=
n></p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; line-height: normal;"><span s=
tyle=3D"font-weight: bold; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">The qu=
estion, do need to remove the covers?&nbsp; If so which season?</span></p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; line-height: normal;"><span s=
tyle=3D"font-weight: bold; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">Thanks=
,</span></p>
<p style=3D"margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; line-height: normal;"><span s=
tyle=3D"font-weight: bold; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">&nbsp;=
Bob in Texas&nbsp;</span></p></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><span>__________________=
_____________________________</span><br><span></span><br><span><a href=3D"ma=
ilto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a></span><br><span>=
te.html</a></span><br><span>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96</span><br=
><span>Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://w=
ww.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a></span><br><span></span><br><span>Unsubsc=
ribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/pati=
[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/patintexa=
[email-masked]</a></span><br><span></span><br></div></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-050419FE-612C-4478-8C59-3CF704404AB5--

--===============2015310935514510641==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============2015310935514510641==--

---

From: Jimmie Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 18:28:23 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4399386109731132306==
 boundary="------------E0D22F722873DF030C0BEDAF"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------E0D22F722873DF030C0BEDAF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

The answer is it probably depends on which part of the country you live 
in.  If you're in the eastern half of Texas where relative humidity 
levels in the summer might hover around 70%, you can make a strong 
argument that the vents should be shut year-round.  The idea that 
allowing cross-airflow to carry moisture out of the building doesn't 
work if the air you're outside air you're drawing in has even higher 
water content.

Decades ago, the belief was that crawlspaces needed to have good 
airflow.  Some people even replaced their vents with small fans.  These 
days the mindset, including that of the Department of Energy, seems to 
fall solidly into the seal-up-your-crawlspace school of thought.

J

On 10/30/18 10:57, Robert Nogueira wrote:
>
> The house attached to my garage is pier and beam with a crawl space.  
> On two ends of the foundation are some vents which have removable 
> covers. The covers have been on for many years,  The crawl space is 
> bone dry.
>
>  Bob in Texas
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------E0D22F722873DF030C0BEDAF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>The answer is it probably depends on which part of the country
      you live in.  If you're in the eastern half of Texas where
      relative humidity levels in the summer might hover around 70%, you
      can make a strong argument that the vents should be shut
      year-round.  The idea that allowing cross-airflow to carry
      moisture out of the building doesn't work if the air you're
      outside air you're drawing in has even higher water content.  <br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Decades ago, the belief was that
      crawlspaces needed to have good airflow.  Some people even
      replaced their vents with small fans.  These days the mindset,
      including that of the Department of Energy, seems to fall solidly
      into the seal-up-your-crawlspace school of thought.<br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">J</div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix"><br>
    </div>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/30/18 10:57, Robert Nogueira
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <p style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; line-height: normal;"><span
          style="font-weight: bold; background-color: rgba(255, 255,
          255, 0);">The house attached to my garage is pier and beam
          with a crawl space.  On two ends of the foundation are some
          vents which have removable covers. The covers have been on for
          many years,  The crawl space is bone dry.</span></p>
      <p style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; line-height: normal;"><span
          style="font-weight: bold; background-color: rgba(255, 255,
          255, 0);">The question, do need to remove the covers?  If so
          which season?</span></p>
      <p style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; line-height: normal;"><span
          style="font-weight: bold; background-color: rgba(255, 255,
          255, 0);">Thanks,</span></p>
      <p style="margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; line-height: normal;"><span
          style="font-weight: bold; background-color: rgba(255, 255,
          255, 0);"> Bob in Texas </span></p>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <p><br>
    </p>
  </body>
</html>

--------------E0D22F722873DF030C0BEDAF--

--===============4399386109731132306==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4399386109731132306==--