Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing/re-attaching coax line

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 11:31:50 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5960070635394856982==
 boundary="------------F875EFA6EFA9BACF1FB2EEFF"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------F875EFA6EFA9BACF1FB2EEFF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Sure.  Note that the connectors the cable company uses will likely be 
better quality than what you might find at the local store.  I'd say you 
can get by, at least short term doing it yourself.  Take your time and 
follow the directions carefully.  Make sure you don't have any of the 
grounding sheath touching the center conductor.

You may want to follow-up with the cable company when things return to 
normal for them to install a high quality weather resistant connector.

There is the possibility that the tree falling stretched the cable and 
broke the center conductor.  I'd also look closely at the part the 
broken end attached to for any signs of it stretching.

Brian

On 10/21/2018 9:51 AM, Scott Hall wrote:
> Guys, not particularly shop related, but I trust you guys more than 
> Google.
>
> Hurricane Michael knocked over a tree at the house. That tree ripped 
> the overhead Concast coax line running to the house. It looks exactly 
> like you'd think it would--ripped apart on one end.
>
> The other end has a connector on it. Looks like the push version of 
> what you connect to the t.v. box in the house
>
> Can I trim the ends and install a new connector on the ripped-off end 
> and connect them? If so, anything I find on Google will do?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------F875EFA6EFA9BACF1FB2EEFF
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    Sure.  Note that the connectors the cable company uses will likely
    be better quality than what you might find at the local store.  I'd
    say you can get by, at least short term doing it yourself.  Take
    your time and follow the directions carefully.  Make sure you don't
    have any of the grounding sheath touching the center conductor.<br>
    <br>
    You may want to follow-up with the cable company when things return
    to normal for them to install a high quality weather resistant
    connector.<br>
    <br>
    There is the possibility that the tree falling stretched the cable
    and broke the center conductor.  I'd also look closely at the part
    the broken end attached to for any signs of it stretching.<br>
    <br>
    Brian<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/21/2018 9:51 AM, Scott Hall
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      <div dir="auto">Guys, not particularly shop related, but I trust
        you guys more than Google.
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">Hurricane Michael knocked over a tree at the
          house. That tree ripped the overhead Concast coax line running
          to the house. It looks exactly like you'd think it
          would--ripped apart on one end.</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">The other end has a connector on it. Looks like
          the push version of what you connect to the t.v. box in the
          house </div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">Can I trim the ends and install a new connector
          on the ripped-off end and connect them? If so, anything I find
          on Google will do?</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">Thanks.</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">Scott</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------F875EFA6EFA9BACF1FB2EEFF--

--===============5960070635394856982==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============5960070635394856982==--

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 14:00:04 -0500

The connector should be easily replaced, at least short term. The type-F compression connector you will need needs to be a waterproof connector. The coax is probably RG-6 so you will have to get a connector that matches. The stripping of the wire is usually 1/4” of bare center conductor, 1/4” of are white insulation. Getting this far is the easy part. 

I assume that the connection needs to be made up on a pole. The wire will need a strain relief up there. Working up that high isn’t especially safe & Comcast May not be happy either. 

Finally, even if the cable on the pole is live you might not get a good/any signal. The tree falling on the wire probably stretched the wire, affecting the specifications of the wire. The center conductor may also be broken. 

If you feel like giving it a try, go ahead. If it were mine, I’d wait for the cable folks. 

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne 
We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity

On Oct 21, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Scott Hall <[email-masked]> wrote:

Guys, not particularly shop related, but I trust you guys more than Google.

Hurricane Michael knocked over a tree at the house. That tree ripped the overhead Concast coax line running to the house. It looks exactly like you'd think it would--ripped apart on one end.

The other end has a connector on it. Looks like the push version of what you connect to the t.v. box in the house 

Can I trim the ends and install a new connector on the ripped-off end and connect them? If so, anything I find on Google will do?

Thanks.

Scott

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Arvid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 15:25:54 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0556531007338875185==
 boundary="------------5AEA915B5DC6DF48F54DDFAA"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------5AEA915B5DC6DF48F54DDFAA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Scott,

Try to determine why kind of coax it is. It should be written on the 
outer shield.

After that you should be able to Google for the correct connectors and 
YouTube demo's on how to install them.

As an example, when I installed my satellite dish I used RG6 Quad 
Shield. That also seems to be relatively popular CATV cable. But there 
is also an RG6 Dual Shield which, I am assuming, would look similar on 
the outside but is certainly not the same on the inside and takes a 
different connector. And your cable not even be RG6 ANYTHING so look first.

Anyway, once you figure out exactly what cable you have then take the 
environment into consideration. Do you need weatherproof connectors? Are 
there any support issues? That kind of stuff.

Note that there may be some special tools to make the stripping and 
inserting into the connector much easier. I've actually had better luck 
... though it took a while ... stripping the coax by hand than I did 
with the inexpensive coax strippers that I bought but the 'pusher' was a 
must-have in my opinion. So you may get to buy some tools you don't 
already have but will hopefully never need to use again.

Other than that I can't think of why you can't do it yourself. Of course 
any laws, regulations, ordinances, contract agreements, etc. that you 
violate while doing so are on you ;-}

Arvid

On 10/21/18 11:51 AM, Scott Hall wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------5AEA915B5DC6DF48F54DDFAA
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <p>Scott,</p>
    <p>Try to determine why kind of coax it is. It should be written on
      the outer shield.</p>
    <p>After that you should be able to Google for the correct
      connectors and YouTube demo's on how to install them.</p>
    <p>As an example, when I installed my satellite dish I used RG6 Quad
      Shield. That also seems to be relatively popular CATV cable. But
      there is also an RG6 Dual Shield which, I am assuming, would look
      similar on the outside but is certainly not the same on the inside
      and takes a different connector. And your cable not even be RG6
      ANYTHING so look first.<br>
    </p>
    <p>Anyway, once you figure out exactly what cable you have then take
      the environment into consideration. Do you need weatherproof
      connectors? Are there any support issues? That kind of stuff.</p>
    <p>Note that there may be some special tools to make the stripping
      and inserting into the connector much easier. I've actually had
      better luck ... though it took a while ... stripping the coax by
      hand than I did with the inexpensive coax strippers that I bought
      but the 'pusher' was a must-have in my opinion. So you may get to
      buy some tools you don't already have but will hopefully never
      need to use again.<br>
    </p>
    <p>Other than that I can't think of why you can't do it yourself. Of
      course any laws, regulations, ordinances, contract agreements,
      etc. that you violate while doing so are on you ;-}<br>
    </p>
    <p>Arvid<br>
    </p>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/21/18 11:51 AM, Scott Hall wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="auto">Guys, not particularly shop related, but I trust
        you guys more than Google.
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">Hurricane Michael knocked over a tree at the
          house. That tree ripped the overhead Concast coax line running
          to the house. It looks exactly like you'd think it
          would--ripped apart on one end.</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">The other end has a connector on it. Looks like
          the push version of what you connect to the t.v. box in the
          house </div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">Can I trim the ends and install a new connector
          on the ripped-off end and connect them? If so, anything I find
          on Google will do?</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">Thanks.</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">Scott</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">_______________________________________________

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------5AEA915B5DC6DF48F54DDFAA--

--===============0556531007338875185==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0556531007338875185==--