Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG OVER DUE WINDOWS UPDATES

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 21:53:28 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4527256081762895418==
 boundary="------------0E5B773362E543C1BD4288C6"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------0E5B773362E543C1BD4288C6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I have a Win 7 laptop that had not been used in over a year, so had a 
similar issue.

My first updates would be your anti-virus.

I then ran Windows Update at least 10 times to get it caught up.  It 
would do some updates then need a restart.  It then found another batch 
and needed another restart....

I'd just plug it in and start running updates.  Check every once in a 
while.  Perhaps turn off the power saving/sleep so it stays on.

After all these updates, then I'd check your browser if not IE, Adobe 
Flash, and Reader if you have them installed.

Brian

On 10/8/2018 5:57 PM, Tim . wrote:
> Yes, this is not a *shop talk* type of post but some of Y'all (sorry 
> but I just got back from bloody Memphis) are better on the computer 
> side of things than I used to be.
>
> I have a laptop that is old, tired, and seriously beat on. Thankfully 
> the pint that I spilled on it some many years ago only took out the 
> "Z". (I have to copy and paste one from a word doc..funny this..... 
> NOT) Anyway, I've not done any windows updates in too long because I 
> seriously don't think this computer can handle the updates.
>
> Win7 home premium currently being run on a Toshiba C655, Pentium CPU 
> @2.20 GH w 4Gigs of ram that shows "service pack 1"
>
> Finally here's the question:
>
> What can I expect if I just click the "update" button for these long 
> overdue updates.
>
> cheers
> happily home from sketchy memphis
> tim
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------0E5B773362E543C1BD4288C6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    I have a Win 7 laptop that had not been used in over a year, so had
    a similar issue.  <br>
    <br>
    My first updates would be your anti-virus.<br>
    <br>
    I then ran Windows Update at least 10 times to get it caught up.  It
    would do some updates then need a restart.  It then found another
    batch and needed another restart....<br>
    <br>
    I'd just plug it in and start running updates.  Check every once in
    a while.  Perhaps turn off the power saving/sleep so it stays on.<br>
    <br>
    After all these updates, then I'd check your browser if not IE,
    Adobe Flash, and Reader if you have them installed. <br>
    <br>
    Brian<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/8/2018 5:57 PM, Tim . wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
        charset=windows-1252">
      <style type="text/css" style="display:none;"><!-- P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} --></style>
      <div id="divtagdefaultwrapper"
style="font-size:12pt;color:#000000;font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;"
        dir="ltr">
        Yes, this is not a <b style="text-decoration-line: underline;">shop
          talk</b> type of post but some of Y'all (sorry but I just got
        back from bloody Memphis) are better on the computer side of
        things than I used to be. 
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>I have a laptop that is old, tired, and seriously beat on.
          Thankfully the pint that I spilled on it some many years ago
          only took out the "<span>Z". (I have to copy and paste one
            from a word doc..funny this..... NOT) Anyway, </span>I've
          not done any windows updates in too long because I
          seriously don't think this computer can handle the updates. </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Win7 home premium currently being run on a Toshiba C655,
          Pentium CPU @2.20 GH w 4Gigs of ram that shows "service pack
          1"</div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Finally here's the question: </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>What can I expect if I just click the "update" button for
          these long overdue updates. <br>
        </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>cheers</div>
        <div>happily home from sketchy memphis</div>
        <div>tim</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------0E5B773362E543C1BD4288C6--

--===============4527256081762895418==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============4527256081762895418==--

---

From: Neil Sherry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 10:03:21 +0000 (UTC)

--===============0317451025433637756==
	boundary="----=_Part_11718_1415897637.1539079401245"

------=_Part_11718_1415897637.1539079401245
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Fine to update, should be no problems with updating Windows 7 in itself. Th=
e one issue you may face is that there have been some updates without which=
 the update process hangs - I think Microsoft made some changes to improve =
security from their end which require updates to the Windows Update compone=
nts on the PC. You may be lucky and already have them, but otherwise the be=
st thing is to apply btjose updates manually. Google 'windows 7 updates slo=
w' - there are two or three updates to get manually from Microsoft Update C=
atalog website.

Neil

Sent from Outlook for Android

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 3:41 AM +0100, "Tim ." <[email-masked]=
m> wrote:

Yes, this is not a=C2=A0shop talk=C2=A0type of post=C2=A0but some of Y'all =
(sorry but I=C2=A0just got back from bloody Memphis) are better on the comp=
uter side of things=C2=A0than I used to be.=C2=A0

I have a laptop that is old, tired, and=C2=A0seriously beat on. Thankfully =
the pint that I spilled on it some many years ago only took out the "Z". (I=
 have to copy and paste one from a word doc..funny this..... NOT) Anyway,=
=C2=A0I've not done any windows
 updates in too long because I seriously=C2=A0don't think this computer can=
 handle the updates.=C2=A0

Win7 home premium currently being run on a Toshiba C655, Pentium CPU @2.20 =
GH w 4Gigs of ram=C2=A0that shows "service pack 1"

Finally here's the question:=C2=A0

What can I expect if I just click the "update" button for these long overdu=
e updates.=C2=A0

cheers

------=_Part_11718_1415897637.1539079401245
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head></head><body><div dir="auto" style="direction: ltr; margin: 0; padding: 0; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: black; ">Fine to update, should be no problems with updating Windows 7 in itself. The one issue you may face is that there have been some updates without which the update process hangs - I think Microsoft made some changes to improve security from their end which require updates to the Windows Update components on the PC. You may be lucky and already have them, but otherwise the best thing is to apply btjose updates manually. Google 'windows 7 updates slow' - there are two or three updates to get manually from Microsoft Update Catalog website.<br>
</div>
<div dir="auto" style="direction: ltr; margin: 0; padding: 0; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: black; ">Neil<br>
<br>
</div>
<div dir="auto" style="direction: ltr; margin: 0; padding: 0; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: black; "><div dir="auto" style="direction: ltr; margin: 0; padding: 0; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: black; ">Sent from <u>Outlook</u><a href="https://aka.ms/ghei36"> for Android</a></div>
<br>
</div>
<br><br><br>
<div class="gmail_quote">On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 3:41 AM +0100, "Tim ." <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]" target="_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
<br>

<blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

<div dir="3D&quot;ltr&quot;">

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<style type="text/css" style="display:none;"><!-- P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} --></style>

<div id="divtagdefaultwrapper" style="font-size:12pt;color:#000000;font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;" dir="ltr">
Yes, this is not a&nbsp;<b style="text-decoration-line: underline;">shop talk</b>&nbsp;type of post&nbsp;but some of Y'all (sorry but I&nbsp;just got back from bloody Memphis) are better on the computer side of things&nbsp;than I used to be.&nbsp;
<div><br>
</div>
<div>I have a laptop that is old, tired, and&nbsp;seriously beat on. Thankfully the pint that I spilled on it some many years ago only took out the "<span>Z". (I have to copy and paste one from a word doc..funny this..... NOT) Anyway,&nbsp;</span>I've not done any windows
 updates in too long because I seriously&nbsp;don't think this computer can handle the updates.&nbsp;</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Win7 home premium currently being run on a Toshiba C655, Pentium CPU @2.20 GH w 4Gigs of ram&nbsp;that shows "service pack 1"</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Finally here's the question:&nbsp;</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>What can I expect if I just click the "update" button for these long overdue updates.&nbsp;<br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>cheers</div>
<div>happily home from sketchy memphis</div>
<div>tim</div>
</div>

</div>

</blockquote>
</div>
</body></html>
------=_Part_11718_1415897637.1539079401245--

--===============0317451025433637756==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0317451025433637756==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 08:54:36 -0400 10/09/2018 08:54:51 AM, Serialize complete at 10/09/2018 08:54:51 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============3562538689483156994==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 0046EA9D85258321_=

Tim asks about updating after a while.

I find that it is normally not an issue.  It may take MANY (read as ten or 
more)  "Update Windows" to get all the updates.

Windows does a good job of make sure the app will 'run' on the machine. 
How fast, is the only question.

With that said, with a computer that beat, I would make a restore point 
first, then run them all, making a restore point after each one.

I bet they will all run and everything will be fine.

YMMV

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
--=_alternative 0046EA9D85258321_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Tim asks about updating after a while.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I find that it is normally not an issue.
&nbsp;It may take MANY (read as ten or more) &nbsp;&quot;Update Windows&quot;
to get all the updates.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Windows does a good job of make sure
the app will 'run' on the machine. &nbsp;How fast, is the only question.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">With that said, with a computer that
beat, I would make a restore point first, then run them all, making a restore
point after each one.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I bet they will all run and everything
will be fine.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">YMMV</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>
--=_alternative 0046EA9D85258321_=--

--===============3562538689483156994==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3562538689483156994==--

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 10:31:19 -0400

--===============8379063124487141203==

--00000000000027a09c0577cc97a1

I just imaged a workstation this morning with Windows 7 Enterprise - last
patches were applied in 2012. It took several hours (50Mbit internet) and
about 3 reboots before it was up-to-date.

-Peter

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 9:52 AM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Waldo Emerson _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

--00000000000027a09c0577cc97a1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">I just imaged a workstation this morning with Windows 7 En=
terprise - last patches were applied in 2012. It took several hours (50Mbit=
 internet) and about 3 reboots before it was up-to-date.=C2=A0<div><br></di=
v><div>-Peter</div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On=
 Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 9:52 AM &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">eric@=
megageek.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" styl=
e=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><font s=
ize=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Tim asks about updating after a while.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">I find that it is normally not an =
issue.
=C2=A0It may take MANY (read as ten or more) =C2=A0&quot;Update Windows&quo=
t;
to get all the updates.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">Windows does a good job of make su=
re
the app will &#39;run&#39; on the machine.=C2=A0 How fast, is the only ques=
tion.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">With that said, with a computer th=
at
beat, I would make a restore point first, then run them all, making a resto=
re
point after each one.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">I bet they will all run and everyt=
hing
will be fine.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif">YMMV</font>
<br><font size=3D"2" face=3D"sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a ratio=
nal
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://aut=
ox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000027a09c0577cc97a1--

--===============8379063124487141203==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8379063124487141203==--

---

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 19:33:19 +0000

--===============9179219907729616443==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_CY4PR13MB13022118B8BD30D25DDA1181B4E70CY4PR13MB1302namp_"

--_000_CY4PR13MB13022118B8BD30D25DDA1181B4E70CY4PR13MB1302namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Thanks for the replies. So far the updates have not had any ill effect.

As for my virus scanner, it is always kept up to date.

________________________________
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> on behalf of Tim . <tims=
[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, October 8, 2018 7:57 PM
To: Shop Talk
Subject: [Shop-talk] LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG OVER DUE WINDOWS UPDATES

Yes, this is not a shop talk type of post but some of Y'all (sorry but I ju=
st got back from bloody Memphis) are better on the computer side of things =
than I used to be.

I have a laptop that is old, tired, and seriously beat on. Thankfully the p=
int that I spilled on it some many years ago only took out the "Z". (I have=
 to copy and paste one from a word doc..funny this..... NOT) Anyway, I've n=
ot done any windows updates in too long because I seriously don't think thi=
s computer can handle the updates.

Win7 home premium currently being run on a Toshiba C655, Pentium CPU @2.20 =
GH w 4Gigs of ram that shows "service pack 1"

e updates.

cheers

--_000_CY4PR13MB13022118B8BD30D25DDA1181B4E70CY4PR13MB1302namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"><!-- P {margin-top:0;margi=
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size:12pt;color:#000000;font=
-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif;" dir=3D"ltr">
<p style=3D"margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0"><span title=3D"" class=3D"">Thank=
s</span> for the replies. So far the updates have not had any ill effect.&n=
bsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0"><br>
</p>
<p style=3D"margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0">As for my virus scanner, it is al=
ways kept up to date.&nbsp;</p>
<p style=3D"margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0"><br>
</p>
<p style=3D"margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0"><br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
<div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex=3D"-1">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" st=
yle=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Shop-talk &lt;shop-ta=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Tim . &lt;tims_datsun_stuff@outl=
ook.com&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Monday, October 8, 2018 7:57 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> Shop Talk<br>
<b>Subject:</b> [Shop-talk] LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG OVER DUE WINDOWS UPDATES</=
font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<meta content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div id=3D"x_divtagdefaultwrapper" dir=3D"ltr" style=3D"font-size:12pt; col=
or:#000000; font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,sans-serif">
Yes, this is not a&nbsp;<b style=3D"">shop talk</b>&nbsp;type of post&nbsp;=
but some of Y'all (sorry but I&nbsp;just got back from bloody Memphis) are =
better on the computer side of things&nbsp;than I used to be.&nbsp;
<div><br>
</div>
<div>I have a laptop that is old, tired, and&nbsp;seriously beat on. Thankf=
ully the pint that I spilled on it some many years ago only took out the &q=
uot;<span>Z&quot;. (I have to copy and paste one from a word doc..funny thi=
s..... NOT) Anyway,&nbsp;</span>I've not done any windows
 updates in too long because I seriously&nbsp;don't think this computer can=
 handle the updates.&nbsp;</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Win7 home premium currently being run on a Toshiba C655, Pentium CPU @=
2.20 GH w 4Gigs of ram&nbsp;that shows &quot;service pack 1&quot;</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>Finally here's the question:&nbsp;</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>What can I expect if I just click the &quot;update&quot; button for th=
ese long overdue updates.&nbsp;<br>
</div>
<div><br>
</div>
<div>cheers</div>
<div>happily home from sketchy memphis</div>
<div>tim</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_CY4PR13MB13022118B8BD30D25DDA1181B4E70CY4PR13MB1302namp_--

--===============9179219907729616443==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9179219907729616443==--

---

From: Michael Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 01:40:07 -0600

On 10/8/2018 10:53 PM, Brian Kemp wrote:
> batch and needed another restart....
>

It should be noted that, depending upon the length of time the laptop 
has been sitting, there was a period when M$oft was sending out some 
updates that amounted to malware.  There were a series of updates that 
installed so-called "compatibility" fixes.  These were designed to set 
up the computer for an automatic update to Win10, which M$oft did some 
time later.  There was quite a furor over it, and M$oft backed down... 
but, they're still sending out "compatibility" monitors and fixes, most 
recently, about three months ago.  M$oft says these are to ensure your 
version works with later versions, but, frankly, having done this once, 
they might be planning to do it again.  Unfortunately, if you like or 
need the version you have, or need some backward emulation to XP for 
some of your software, it means going through the individual updates and 
finding the descriptions for each update, looking for those described as 
monitoring or upgrading compatibility or seem to be prepping the 
computer for Win10, and then delisting and hiding those.  Pretty 
time-consuming process after a long time without installing updates.

Before you begin updating, you might want to do a quick browse for the 
issue, and see if there are still some third-party patches available to 
prevent the installation of the critical files.  I installed this one:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

I didn't need or want Win10 because I don't have any devices with touch 
screens, didn't like the desktop, and after some considerable work 
getting to that point, have a very stable Win7 installation (meaning, I 
can live with one BSOD every 12-18 months or so).

And spend a little time working that "z" key.  It might start working 
again if the problem is mechanical, rather than electrical. Otherwise, 
there are lots of scavenged used keyboards available from the usual 
suspects. My son-in-law had an ancient laptop that had a broken charger 
receptacle, and after I fixed that, I discovered that the memory was 
fried.  Fixed the memory, and broke the password to get into it, and 
discovered that half the keyboard was inoperative. I pretty much hate 
eBay, because they've cost me so much money in cars on which they 
wouldn't honor their buyback guarantee, but, you can find keyboards 
there for almost anything for $10-20.

Cheers.

-- 

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

[email-masked]

utox.team.net

---

From: Nolan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 18:31:51 -0400

Recently had to reinstall windows on my old laptop.  Windows 10 was not a good idea.  Not as a free upgrade when it was released, not as an upgrade now.

In windows 7/8 it ran just fine.  About 1 minute to boot up.  Opened and closed programs in seconds.

With windows 10, boot up is about a 10 minute process.  Starting a program takes upwards of a minute.  It’s awful.

That said, trying to do things with a windows 7/8 computer was frustrating.  Many web pages would not load or not load right.  Many programs would not install.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 08:30:10 -0400

--===============0819684060395903020==

--000000000000371fbf05782f7c32
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Nolan-

I have no problems doing anything with Windows 7 on the variety of PCs (and
bootcamp Macs) I run in and around my Shop, for clients and for family.

If you're having trouble with web pages, you many need a plug-in enabled in
your browser, or perhaps an adblocker or other protective measure is
preventing a page from loading fully (I have had this issue). I have yet to
run into an app that works in Windows 10 that doesn't run in Windows 7.

An additional note: The performance improvement of a SSD over a HDD is not
to be underestimated! If you'd like to see if a fresh install of Windows 7
would fix your issues, buy a 256GB SSD (<$60) and give it a try. That way,
you can set aside your current drive and go back to it if you so choose.

Happy to help further if you'd like.

-Peter (IT guy)

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 8:15 AM Nolan <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Recently had to reinstall windows on my old laptop.  Windows 10 was not a
> good idea.  Not as a free upgrade when it was released, not as an upgrade
> now.
>
> With windows 10, boot up is about a 10 minute process.  Starting a progra=
m
> takes upwards of a minute.  It=E2=80=99s awful.
>
> That said, trying to do things with a windows 7/8 computer was
> frustrating.  Many web pages would not load or not load right.  Many
> programs would not install.

--000000000000371fbf05782f7c32
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Nolan-<div><br></div><div>I have no problems doing anythin=
g with Windows 7 on the variety of PCs (and bootcamp Macs) I run in and aro=
und my Shop, for clients and for family.</div><div><br></div><div>If you&#3=
9;re having trouble with web pages, you many need a plug-in enabled in your=
 browser, or perhaps an adblocker or other protective measure is preventing=
 a page from loading fully (I have had this issue). I have yet to run into =
an app that works in Windows 10 that doesn&#39;t run in Windows 7.</div><di=
v><br></div><div>An additional note: The performance improvement of a SSD o=
ver a HDD is not to be underestimated! If you&#39;d like to see if a fresh =
install of Windows 7 would fix your issues, buy a 256GB SSD (&lt;$60) and g=
ive it a try. That way, you can set aside your current drive and go back to=
 it if you so choose.</div><div><br></div><div>Happy to help further if you=
&#39;d like.</div><div><br></div><div>-Peter (IT guy)</div></div><br><div c=
lass=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 8:15 AM Nolan=
 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>=
&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 =
0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br>
Recently had to reinstall windows on my old laptop.=C2=A0 Windows 10 was no=
t a good idea.=C2=A0 Not as a free upgrade when it was released, not as an =
upgrade now.<br>
<br>
In windows 7/8 it ran just fine.=C2=A0 About 1 minute to boot up.=C2=A0 Ope=
ned and closed programs in seconds.<br>
<br>
With windows 10, boot up is about a 10 minute process.=C2=A0 Starting a pro=
gram takes upwards of a minute.=C2=A0 It=E2=80=99s awful.<br>
<br>
That said, trying to do things with a windows 7/8 computer was frustrating.=
=C2=A0 Many web pages would not load or not load right.=C2=A0 Many programs=
 would not install.<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">Shop-talk@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br>
<br>
alk/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://aut=
ox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000371fbf05782f7c32--

--===============0819684060395903020==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0819684060395903020==--