Subject: [Shop-talk] Air Impact Wrenches - how much torque?

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2018 12:29:41 -0700

I'm shopping for a new air impact wrench and wondered how much torque I 
might need.  I'm replacing a Harbor Freight one that claims 250 ft-lbs, 
but can't break hand torqued wheel lugs.  If I need to undo a TR6 crank 
bolt again, I'll borrow a bigger impact wrench or just use a breaker bar 
like last time.

The primary use will be wheel lugs.  Occasional use will be brake jobs 
and related car work.

Per the sticker on the compressor specs are 5.5 SCFM at 90psi, 5HP, 26 
gal, 135psi max.  This is Husky Pro about 15 years old, so I recognize 
the HP rating is likely optimistic.  The motor requirement is 15A @ 
120V, which would indicate a more realistic HP rating in the 2HP range.

I'm not after continuous duty.  At most, it would be 5 wheel lugs then a 
break.

I'm thinking the 1000 ft-lb models are overkill and could potentially do 
damage snapping an old TR6 or GT6 bolt.  I'd rather have the tool not 
take off the nut/bolt than snap it.

The new Husky ones at Home Depot look nice, but I don't see any feedback 
on the 800 ft-lb model and only one on the 650 ft-lb model.  If I do go 
bigger, Lowes has a nice 1000 ft-lb model with a 95% recommended rating.

Any feedback is appreciated.  Since this isn't really necessary, I'm 
looking at about the $100 range.

Thanks,

Brian
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: rustymetal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2018 13:42:53 -0700

--===============6914548979255434719==

----_com.samsung.android.email_487073031055360
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.samsung.android.email_487073031055360
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.samsung.android.email_487073031055360--

--===============6914548979255434719==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6914548979255434719==--

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2018 17:41:41 -0400

--===============8750240544011451068==
	boundary="=====================_31523028==.ALT"

--=====================_31523028==.ALT

At 03:29 PM 10/7/2018, Brian Kemp wrote:

 >might need. I'm replacing a Harbor Freight one that claims 250 
ft-lbs, but can't
 >break hand torqued wheel lugs......

I have to agree with Scott Hall, I too have an Ingersol Rand gun.  It 
does a great
job.  For the few cases when it won't break a nut loose, I don't mind 
using a breaker bar to break the nut loose then use the gun to take 
the nut off the bolt/stud.

That being said the Earthquake guns from Harborfreight seem to have 
some pretty good reviews.

Don't forget most of these air guns have a knob that allows you to 
control how much torque it puts out.  So set it to one of the lower 
settings, then slowly increase
the setting till it breaks the nut loose.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan
Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--=====================_31523028==.ALT

<html>
<body>
<font size=3>At 03:29 PM 10/7/2018, Brian Kemp wrote:<br><br>
&gt;I'm shopping for a new air impact wrench and wondered how much torque
I <br>
&gt;might need.  I'm replacing a Harbor Freight one that claims 250
ft-lbs, but can't <br>
&gt;break hand torqued wheel lugs......<br><br>
I have to agree with Scott Hall, I too have an Ingersol Rand gun.&nbsp;
It does a great<br>
job.&nbsp; For the few cases when it won't break a nut loose, I don't
mind using a breaker bar to break the nut loose then use the gun to take
the nut off the bolt/stud.<br><br>
That being said the Earthquake guns from Harborfreight seem to have some
pretty good reviews.<br><br>
Don't forget most of these air guns have a knob that allows you to
control how much torque it puts out.&nbsp; So set it to one of the lower
settings, then slowly increase <br>
the setting till it breaks the nut loose. <br><br>
John<br><br>
</font><div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br />
<table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
	<tr>
        <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon" target="_blank"><img src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif" alt="" width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;" /></a></td>
		<td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avast.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
<br>
<div>John T. Blair&nbsp; WA4OHZ&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email:&nbsp;
[email-masked]</div>
<div>Va. Beach,
Va&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Phone:&nbsp; (757) 495-8229</div>
<br>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48
TR1800&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48 #4 Midget&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 65 Morgan 4/4
Series V (B1106)</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
77 Spitfire&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 71 Saab Sonett III</div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
65 Rambler Classic</div>
<br>
<div>Morgan:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.team.net/morgan" EUDORA=AUTOURL>
www.team.net/morgan</a></div>
<div>Bricklin:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.bricklin.org/" EUDORA=AUTOURL>www.bricklin.org</a>
</div>
<br>
<div>If you can read
this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
- Thank a teacher!</div>
<div>If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!</div>
<br>
<div> From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e pluribus Unum, &quot;from many,
one.&quot;</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In God We Trust</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Liberty - the&nbsp; power&nbsp; of&nbsp;
choosing,&nbsp; thinking,&nbsp; and&nbsp; acting&nbsp; for&nbsp; </div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
oneself; freedom&nbsp; from&nbsp; control&nbsp; or&nbsp;
restriction&nbsp; </div>
<br>
<br>
</html>

--=====================_31523028==.ALT--

--===============8750240544011451068==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8750240544011451068==--