Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Storing garden hoses

From: Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2018 21:37:39 -0500

--===============1628345396638010311==

--000000000000f114a70577ae8136

You know anybody that used to be in the Navy?

My brother-in-law used to be a swabbie, and he's got this method of
gathering extension cords and hoses such that they never tangle. He hangs
some and just stacks the rest. It's the damnedest thing I've ever seen.
He's shown me how to do it, but I think it's something you can only really
habituate having been on a ship.

Scott

--000000000000f114a70577ae8136
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">You know anybody that used to be in the Navy?=C2=A0<div d=
ir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">My brother-in-law used to be a swab=
bie, and he&#39;s got this method of gathering extension cords and hoses su=
ch that they never tangle. He hangs some and just stacks the rest. It&#39;s=
 the damnedest thing I&#39;ve ever seen. He&#39;s shown me how to do it, bu=
t I think it&#39;s something you can only really habituate having been on a=
 ship.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Scott</div>=
</div>

--000000000000f114a70577ae8136--

--===============1628345396638010311==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============1628345396638010311==--

---

From: Jimmie Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2018 23:38:54 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============8860126840874541075==
 boundary="------------5EA65D6AADEF320B66E0BC8D"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------5EA65D6AADEF320B66E0BC8D
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

How easily do you need to be able to access each individual hose once 
you've stored them?  You could store 150-300 ft of garden hose coiled 
inside a section of Sonotube or, if you swap your tires for winter 
tires, you could store them coiled inside the summer tires.

On 10/07/18 21:19, Arvid wrote:
> I have 6 garden hoses, 25 and 50 feet long, that I would like to store 
> in a reasonable space and cost effective fashion. I don't have the 
> wall space to hang them all. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on 
> some type of container(s) that could be used to hold them and possibly 
> stack them on shelves?
>
> Thanks,
> Arvid
>
> Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab® S
>
>
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------5EA65D6AADEF320B66E0BC8D
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">How easily do you need to be able to
      access each individual hose once you've stored them?  You could
      store 150-300 ft of garden hose coiled inside a section of
      Sonotube or, if you swap your tires for winter tires, you could
      store them coiled inside the summer tires.<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      On 10/07/18 21:19, Arvid wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      <div>I have 6 garden hoses, 25 and 50 feet long, that I would like
        to store in a reasonable space and cost effective fashion. I
        don't have the wall space to hang them all. Anyone have any
        suggestions or ideas on some type of container(s) that could be
        used to hold them and possibly stack them on shelves?</div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div>Thanks,</div>
      <div>Arvid </div>
      <div><br>
      </div>
      <div id="composer_signature">
        <div style="font-size:85%;color:#575757">Sent from my Samsung
          Galaxy Tab® S</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <p><br>
    </p>
  </body>
</html>

--------------5EA65D6AADEF320B66E0BC8D--

--===============8860126840874541075==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8860126840874541075==--

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 07:41:01 -0400

--===============6405163071708309954==
 boundary="Apple-Mail=_10949547-689F-4301-869F-6E3206586E8D"

--Apple-Mail=_10949547-689F-4301-869F-6E3206586E8D
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

Old plastic trash cans cut to the depth you need for stacking?

5 gal buckets from a big box store/driveway sealer/pickles from a deli?

jim

> On Oct 7, 2018, at 9:19 PM, Arvid <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> I have 6 garden hoses, 25 and 50 feet long, that I would like to store =
in a reasonable space and cost effective fashion. I don't have the wall =
space to hang them all. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on some =
type of container(s) that could be used to hold them and possibly stack =
them on shelves?
>=20
> Thanks,
> Arvid=20
>=20
> Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab=C2=AE S
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_10949547-689F-4301-869F-6E3206586E8D
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D"">Old plastic trash cans cut to the depth you need for =
stacking?<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">5 gal =
buckets from a big box store/driveway sealer/pickles from a deli?<br =
class=3D""><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">jim</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""><div><blockquote =
type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Oct 7, 2018, at 9:19 PM, =
Arvid &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><meta =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-8" =
class=3D""><div class=3D"">
   =20
<div class=3D"">I have 6 garden hoses, 25 and 50 feet long, that I would =
like to store in a reasonable space and cost effective fashion. I don't =
have the wall space to hang them all. Anyone have any suggestions or =
ideas on some type of container(s) that could be used to hold them and =
possibly stack them on shelves?</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">Thanks,</div><div =
class=3D"">Arvid&nbsp;</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
id=3D"composer_signature" class=3D""><div =
style=3D"font-size:85%;color:#575757" class=3D"">Sent from my Samsung =
Galaxy Tab=C2=AE S</div></div><br class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div>_______________________________________________<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D"">Donate: =
&nbsp;$12.96<br class=3D"">Archive: =
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk<br class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]<br =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_10949547-689F-4301-869F-6E3206586E8D--

--===============6405163071708309954==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6405163071708309954==--

---

From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 08:07:58 -0500

--===============6762968368099350798==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<div id="_htmlarea_default_style_" style="font:10pt arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Thanks for the suggestions.<br><br>A little research on my part may
have helped. It seem like the diameter of the garden hose "package" when you buy it nicely coiled up in the store is around 15 inches. I am assuming
that I have neither the skills nor the patience to to re-coil it as neatly as the manufacturer did. I therefore am assuming the solution will need to
have at least a 15 inch inside diameter.<br><br>5 gallon buckets are about 12 inches, but I will give it a try this weekend based on the price and
availability of 5 gallon buckets though I am not optimistic [see previous skill and patience disclaimer]. <br><br>Sonotube may also work. Home Depot
has 16 inch ... actually Quik-Tube from Quickrete ... for $15 that may work. The SawsAll will make the 48 inch long tube into four 12 inch tubes and
I'd have to fabricate a bottom for each but some 1/4 hardboard and construction adhesive may resolve that challenge.<br><br>Plastic garbage cans seem
to fit the dimension requirements. Menard's has Rubbermaid Heavy Duty 32 gallon for $10 after rebate ... complete with an impressive Menard's logo on
them!!!. The challenge there is how to store 6 hoses in a way that would allow random access to any individual hose. The 6 buckets and a SawsAll
session to cut them down to a reasonable size solution seems a little wasteful. However, If the 5 gallon buckets don't work out and the Quik-Tube
looks like to much work then buying a few buckets, calling it done and moving on to something I really do want to work on may be the best
solution.<br><br>Thanks again for the suggestions and I'll let you know what works out,<br>Arvid<br></div>

--===============6762968368099350798==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6762968368099350798==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 10:10:05 -0400 10/10/2018 10:10:14 AM, Serialize complete at 10/10/2018 10:10:14 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============7808842833697421171==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 004DD2C185258322_=

Arvid writes...
>The challenge there is how to store 6 hoses in a way that would allow 
random access to any individual hose.

I think I have the solution.  Its hard to explain, so I posted a quick 
hand drawn sketch  (I don't have alot of time right now, but feel free to 
ask any clarification questions.) 

To store multiple hoses, so you can access any one without problem, get a 
large rubber garbage can.
Cut it into about 9" tall pieces (check size for your hoses)
Then, remove a small band around the top of each.
Add a bottom to the middle and top sections.
Now you can put a hose in each one, and they should 'nest' when you stack 
them

See the image here...
https://tinyurl.com/hosebin 

Let me know what you think.

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
--=_alternative 004DD2C185258322_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Arvid writes...</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">&gt;</font><font size=3>The challenge
there is how to store 6 hoses in a way that would allow random access to
any individual hose.</font>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I think I have the solution. &nbsp;Its
hard to explain, so I posted a quick hand drawn sketch &nbsp;(I don't have
alot of time right now, but feel free to ask any clarification questions.)
</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">To store multiple hoses, so you can
access any one without problem, get a large rubber garbage can.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Cut it into about 9&quot; tall pieces
(check size for your hoses)</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Then, remove a small band around the
top of each.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Add a bottom to the middle and top sections.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Now you can put a hose in each one,
and they should 'nest' when you stack them</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">See the image here...</font>
<br><a href=https://tinyurl.com/hosebin><font size=3 color=blue><b>https://tinyurl.com/hosebin</b></font></a><font size=3>
</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Let me know what you think.</font>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>
--=_alternative 004DD2C185258322_=--

--===============7808842833697421171==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============7808842833697421171==--

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 11:31:45 -0400

--===============1014954983284870985==
	boundary="=====================_40451854==.ALT"

--=====================_40451854==.ALT

Do a google search for "plastic beverage tub."  This might be easier 
than cutting down garbage pails.  They come in a variety of styles 
and prices.  Some of them look like they would work and don't cost too much.

-Steve

At 10:10 AM 10/10/2018, [email-masked] wrote:
>Arvid writes...
> >The challenge there is how to store 6 hoses in a way that would 
> allow random access to any individual hose.
>
>
>I think I have the solution.  Its hard to explain, so I posted a 
>quick hand drawn sketch  (I don't have alot of time right now, but 
>feel free to ask any clarification questions.)
>
>To store multiple hoses, so you can access any one without problem, 
>get a large rubber garbage can.
>Now you can put a hose in each one, and they should 'nest' when you 
>stack them
>
>See the image here...
><https://tinyurl.com/hosebin>https://tinyurl.com/hosebin
>
>"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a 
>rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your 
>territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--=====================_40451854==.ALT

<html>
<body>
Do a google search for &quot;plastic beverage tub.&quot;&nbsp; This might
be easier than cutting down garbage pails.&nbsp; They come in a variety
of styles and prices.&nbsp; Some of them look like they would work and
don't cost too much.&nbsp; <br><br>
-Steve<br><br>
At 10:10 AM 10/10/2018, [email-masked] wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite=""><font size=2>Arvid
writes...</font> <br>
<font size=2>&gt;</font>The challenge there is how to store 6 hoses in a
way that would allow random access to any individual hose. <br><br>
<br>
<font size=2>I think I have the solution.&nbsp; Its hard to explain, so I
posted a quick hand drawn sketch&nbsp; (I don't have alot of time right
now, but feel free to ask any clarification questions.) </font><br><br>
<font size=2>To store multiple hoses, so you can access any one without
problem, get a large rubber garbage can.</font> <br>
<font size=2>Cut it into about 9&quot; tall pieces (check size for your
hoses)</font> <br>
<font size=2>Then, remove a small band around the top of each.</font>
<br>
<font size=2>Add a bottom to the middle and top sections.</font> <br>
<font size=2>Now you can put a hose in each one, and they should 'nest'
when you stack them</font> <br><br>
<font size=2>See the image here...</font> <br>
<font color="#0000FF"><b><a href="https://tinyurl.com/hosebin">
https://tinyurl.com/hosebin</a></b></font> <br><br>
<font size=2>Let me know what you think.</font> <br><br>
<br>
<font size=2><br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
territory.&quot; Ralph Waldo Emerson </font><br>
_______________________________________________<br><br>
[email-masked]<br>
Donate:
<a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" eudora="autourl">
Archive:
<a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" eudora="autourl">
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br><br>
<a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]" eudora="autourl">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a>
</blockquote><div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2"><br />
<table style="border-top: 1px solid #D3D4DE;">
	<tr>
        <td style="width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon" target="_blank"><img src="https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif" alt="" width="46" height="29" style="width: 46px; height: 29px;" /></a></td>
		<td style="width: 470px; padding-top: 12px; color: #41424e; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-free. <a href="https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link" target="_blank" style="color: #4453ea;">www.avast.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table><a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
</html>

--=====================_40451854==.ALT--

--===============1014954983284870985==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1014954983284870985==--

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 15:54:37 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============5905126661034772634==
 boundary="------------E5F5F20F35187C1FB0275C31"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------E5F5F20F35187C1FB0275C31
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Do you have exposed joists in the garage?  If so, just attach a 2' long 
2x4 and hang the coiled hoses.  You should be able to get 2 per side.  
Take a segment of 12 or 14 gauge electrical wire and use it as an 
oversized twist tie to keep the hose together.  If you put the 2x4 
across the top of the joist, it should leave plenty of headroom.

On 10/10/2018 6:07 AM, Arvid Jedlicka wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> A little research on my part may have helped. It seem like the 
> diameter of the garden hose "package" when you buy it nicely coiled up 
> in the store is around 15 inches. I am assuming that I have neither 
> the skills nor the patience to to re-coil it as neatly as the 
> manufacturer did. I therefore am assuming the solution will need to 
> have at least a 15 inch inside diameter.
>
> 5 gallon buckets are about 12 inches, but I will give it a try this 
> weekend based on the price and availability of 5 gallon buckets though 
> I am not optimistic [see previous skill and patience disclaimer].
>
> Sonotube may also work. Home Depot has 16 inch ... actually Quik-Tube 
> from Quickrete ... for $15 that may work. The SawsAll will make the 48 
> inch long tube into four 12 inch tubes and I'd have to fabricate a 
> bottom for each but some 1/4 hardboard and construction adhesive may 
> resolve that challenge.
>
> Plastic garbage cans seem to fit the dimension requirements. Menard's 
> has Rubbermaid Heavy Duty 32 gallon for $10 after rebate ... complete 
> with an impressive Menard's logo on them!!!. The challenge there is 
> how to store 6 hoses in a way that would allow random access to any 
> individual hose. The 6 buckets and a SawsAll session to cut them down 
> to a reasonable size solution seems a little wasteful. However, If the 
> 5 gallon buckets don't work out and the Quik-Tube looks like to much 
> work then buying a few buckets, calling it done and moving on to 
> something I really do want to work on may be the best solution.
>
> Thanks again for the suggestions and I'll let you know what works out,
> Arvid
>
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------E5F5F20F35187C1FB0275C31
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    Do you have exposed joists in the garage?  If so, just attach a 2'
    long 2x4 and hang the coiled hoses.  You should be able to get 2 per
    side.  Take a segment of 12 or 14 gauge electrical wire and use it
    as an oversized twist tie to keep the hose together.  If you put the
    2x4 across the top of the joist, it should leave plenty of headroom.<br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 10/10/2018 6:07 AM, Arvid Jedlicka
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite" cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
      <div id="_htmlarea_default_style_" style="font:10pt
        arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Thanks for the suggestions.<br>
        <br>
        A little research on my part may
        have helped. It seem like the diameter of the garden hose
        "package" when you buy it nicely coiled up in the store is
        around 15 inches. I am assuming
        that I have neither the skills nor the patience to to re-coil it
        as neatly as the manufacturer did. I therefore am assuming the
        solution will need to
        have at least a 15 inch inside diameter.<br>
        <br>
        5 gallon buckets are about 12 inches, but I will give it a try
        this weekend based on the price and
        availability of 5 gallon buckets though I am not optimistic [see
        previous skill and patience disclaimer]. <br>
        <br>
        Sonotube may also work. Home Depot
        has 16 inch ... actually Quik-Tube from Quickrete ... for $15
        that may work. The SawsAll will make the 48 inch long tube into
        four 12 inch tubes and
        I'd have to fabricate a bottom for each but some 1/4 hardboard
        and construction adhesive may resolve that challenge.<br>
        <br>
        Plastic garbage cans seem
        to fit the dimension requirements. Menard's has Rubbermaid Heavy
        Duty 32 gallon for $10 after rebate ... complete with an
        impressive Menard's logo on
        them!!!. The challenge there is how to store 6 hoses in a way
        that would allow random access to any individual hose. The 6
        buckets and a SawsAll
        session to cut them down to a reasonable size solution seems a
        little wasteful. However, If the 5 gallon buckets don't work out
        and the Quik-Tube
        looks like to much work then buying a few buckets, calling it
        done and moving on to something I really do want to work on may
        be the best
        solution.<br>
        <br>
        Thanks again for the suggestions and I'll let you know what
        works out,<br>
        Arvid<br>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------E5F5F20F35187C1FB0275C31--

--===============5905126661034772634==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5905126661034772634==--