Subject: [Shop-talk] Why in the world do we need 'spinning' brake pistons?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 08:05:15 -0400 09/13/2018 08:05:35 AM, Serialize complete at 09/13/2018 08:05:35 AM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============5639927873285882392==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 004264E285258307_=

Can someone please let me know what the advantage of the new 'spin to 
compress' brake pistons are?

Seriously, were cars flying off the road with no brakes and I didn't 
notice it?

This new system requires more tools* (and they didn't even standardize the 
pattern), more effort, most of the time destroys the boot, and requires 
you to line up a pin with the de-tent so you can put the caliper on.

So what am I missing?  Why are these better?  I would image they are more 
complicated on the inside as well.  Also seems that they require more 
machining/parts to make.

*=I don't mind buying more tools, in fact I already bought the tool and 
I'm looking at an upgraded version of it. 

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
--=_alternative 004264E285258307_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Can someone please let me know what the
advantage of the new 'spin to compress' brake pistons are?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Seriously, were cars flying off the
road with no brakes and I didn't notice it?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">This new system requires more tools*
(and they didn't even standardize the pattern), more effort, most of the
time destroys the boot, and requires you to line up a pin with the de-tent
so you can put the caliper on.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">So what am I missing? &nbsp;Why are
these better? &nbsp;I would image they are more complicated on the inside
as well. &nbsp;Also seems that they require more machining/parts to make.</font>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">*=I don't mind buying more tools, in
fact I already bought the tool and I'm looking at an upgraded version of
it. &nbsp;</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>
--=_alternative 004264E285258307_=--

--===============5639927873285882392==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============5639927873285882392==--

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 16:43:10 -0400

--===============6769781635699727198==
	boundary="=====================_28959900==.ALT"

--=====================_28959900==.ALT

At 08:05 AM 9/13/2018, [email-masked] wrote:

 >Can someone please let me know what the advantage of the new 'spin 
to compress' brake
 >pistons are?

 >..This new system requires more tools* (and they didn't even 
standardize the pattern), more
 >effort, most of the time destroys the boot, and requires you to 
line up a pin with the de-tent
 >so you can put the caliper on.

Eric,

I've seen this on Fords and I believe that they are usually the rear 
calipers?

I think this is due to the "ratchetting" action for the emergency 
brake.  So you
have to undo the fact that the piston has been screwed into the caliper.  The
tool I've seen for this is a cube so I'm assuming there are about 6 
standard distances between holes in the piston, and sizes of these holes.

John

of the

>So what am I missing?  Why are these better?  I would image they are 
>more complicated on the inside as well.  Also seems that they 
>require more machining/parts to make.
>
>
>*=I don't mind buying more tools, in fact I already bought the tool 
>and I'm looking at an upgraded version of it.
>
>
>"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a 
>rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your 
>territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/morgan
Bricklin:     www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--=====================_28959900==.ALT

<html>
<body>
<font size=3>At 08:05 AM 9/13/2018, [email-masked] wrote:<br><br>
&gt;</font><font size=2>Can someone please let me know what the advantage
of the new 'spin to compress' brake<br>
</font><font size=3>&gt;</font><font size=2>pistons
are?</font><font size=3> <br><br>
&gt;..</font><font size=2>This new system requires more tools* (and they
didn't even standardize the pattern), more <br>
</font><font size=3>&gt;</font><font size=2>effort, most of the time
destroys the boot, and requires you to line up a pin with the de-tent
<br>
</font><font size=3>&gt;</font><font size=2>so you can put the caliper
on.</font><font size=3> <br><br>
Eric,<br><br>
I've seen this on Fords and I believe that they are usually the rear
calipers?&nbsp; <br><br>
I think this is due to the &quot;ratchetting&quot; action for the
emergency brake.&nbsp; So you <br>
have to undo the fact that the piston has been screwed into the
caliper.&nbsp; The<br>
tool I've seen for this is a cube so I'm assuming there are about 6
standard distances between holes in the piston, and sizes of these
holes.<br><br>
John<br><br>
<br>
of the<br><br>
</font><blockquote type=cite class=cite cite=""><font size=2>So what am I
missing?&nbsp; Why are these better?&nbsp; I would image they are more
complicated on the inside as well.&nbsp; Also seems that they require
more machining/parts to make.</font><font size=3> <br><br>
<br>
</font><font size=2>*=I don't mind buying more tools, in fact I already
bought the tool and I'm looking at an upgraded version of it.&nbsp;
</font><font size=3> <br>
</font><font size=2><br><br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
territory.&quot; Ralph Waldo Emerson </font><font size=3><br>
_______________________________________________<br><br>
[email-masked]<br>
Donate:
<a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html" eudora="autourl">
Archive:
<a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk" eudora="autourl">
http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a><br><br>
<a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]" eudora="autourl">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a>
</font></blockquote><div id="DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2">
<br /><br />
<hr style='border:none; color:#909090; background-color:#B0B0B0; height: 1px; width: 99%;' />
<table style='border-collapse:collapse;border:none;'>
	<tr>
		<td style='border:none;padding:0px 15px 0px 8px'>
			<a href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">
				<img border=0 src="https://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp.png" alt="Avast logo" />
			</a>
		</td>
		<td>
			<p style='color:#3d4d5a; font-family:"Calibri","Verdana","Arial","Helvetica"; font-size:12pt;'>
				This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
				<br><a href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">www.avast.com</a>
			</p>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table>
<br />
<a href="#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2" width="1" height="1"> </a></div></body>
<br>
<div>John T. Blair&nbsp; WA4OHZ&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email:&nbsp;
[email-masked]</div>
<div>Va. Beach,
Va&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Phone:&nbsp; (757) 495-8229</div>
<br>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48
TR1800&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48 #4 Midget&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 65 Morgan 4/4
Series V (B1106)</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
77 Spitfire&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 71 Saab Sonett III</div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
65 Rambler Classic</div>
<br>
<div>Morgan:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.team.net/morgan" EUDORA=AUTOURL>
www.team.net/morgan</a></div>
<div>Bricklin:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.bricklin.org/" EUDORA=AUTOURL>www.bricklin.org</a>
</div>
<br>
<div>If you can read
this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
- Thank a teacher!</div>
<div>If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!</div>
<br>
<div> From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e pluribus Unum, &quot;from many,
one.&quot;</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In God We Trust</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Liberty - the&nbsp; power&nbsp; of&nbsp;
choosing,&nbsp; thinking,&nbsp; and&nbsp; acting&nbsp; for&nbsp; </div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
oneself; freedom&nbsp; from&nbsp; control&nbsp; or&nbsp;
restriction&nbsp; </div>
<br>
<br>
</html>

--=====================_28959900==.ALT--

--===============6769781635699727198==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6769781635699727198==--