Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] degressers

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 10:48:45 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2935214551785569383==
 boundary="------------26983B6DB9691876B3223A21"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------26983B6DB9691876B3223A21
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

What are you de-greasing, and what kind of finish is under the grease?  
When you spray the degreaser on and rinse it off, where is the runoff 
going to go?  (Hopefully not into your well...).

Years ago I used to use Gunk spray degreaser on nasty engines; it took a 
couple of applications sometimes but seemed to work pretty well.  I 
don't know if it's been reformulated to be more eco friendly or not; I 
haven't used it for years.

For really nasty stuff, oven cleaner works pretty well.  The stuff from 
the dollar store is as good as any.  The problem with oven cleaner 
(other than the obvious precautions to keep it out of your eyes and off 
your skin) are that it will remove paint as well,  and it's can discolor 
(at best) or dissolve (at worst) aluminum.  That being said, I have used 
it on a number of really nasty motorcycle engines and never had one 
dissolve or fall apart, although it did mess up the finish on one Honda 
engine.

Another alternative if your degreasing project is portable is to take it 
to your local coin operated car wash.  Some of them have "steam 
cleaners", actually hot water, for degreasing engines and 
undercarriages, and the good thing about most car washes is that they 
process the waste water.

On 11/26/2016 9:50 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Anyone have an opinion on degressers?
>
> I'm looking for a good 'spray on' type then rinse off.  What REALLY 
> works well?  Thanks.
>
>
> Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
> Tech Viper
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a 
> rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your 
> territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--------------26983B6DB9691876B3223A21
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    What are you de-greasing, and what kind of finish is under the
    grease?  When you spray the degreaser on and rinse it off, where is
    the runoff going to go?  (Hopefully not into your well...).  <br>
    <br>
    Years ago I used to use Gunk spray degreaser on nasty engines; it
    took a couple of applications sometimes but seemed to work pretty
    well.  I don't know if it's been reformulated to be more eco
    friendly or not; I haven't used it for years.  <br>
    <br>
    For really nasty stuff, oven cleaner works pretty well.  The stuff
    from the dollar store is as good as any.  The problem with oven
    cleaner (other than the obvious precautions to keep it out of your
    eyes and off your skin) are that it will remove paint as well,  and
    it's can discolor (at best) or dissolve (at worst) aluminum.  That
    being said, I have used it on a number of really nasty motorcycle
    engines and never had one dissolve or fall apart, although it did
    mess up the finish on one Honda engine.  <br>
    <br>
    Another alternative if your degreasing project is portable is to
    take it to your local coin operated car wash.  Some of them have
    "steam cleaners", actually hot water, for degreasing engines and
    undercarriages, and the good thing about most car washes is that
    they process the waste water.  <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/26/2016 9:50 AM,
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite"><font face="sans-serif" size="2">Anyone have an
        opinion on degressers?</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font face="sans-serif" size="2">I'm looking for a good 'spray on'
        type
        then rinse off.  What REALLY works well?  Thanks.</font>
      <br>
      <font face="sans-serif" size="2"><br>
        <br>
        Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
        Tech Viper<br>
        "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
        rational
        being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory."
        Ralph
        Waldo Emerson </font>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  
<br /><br />
<hr style='border:none; color:#909090; background-color:#B0B0B0; height: 1px; width: 99%;' />
<table style='border-collapse:collapse;border:none;'>
	<tr>
		<td style='border:none;padding:0px 15px 0px 8px'>
			<a href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">
				<img border=0 src="http://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp.png" alt="Avast logo" />
			</a>
		</td>
		<td>
			<p style='color:#3d4d5a; font-family:"Calibri","Verdana","Arial","Helvetica"; font-size:12pt;'>
				This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
				<br><a href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">www.avast.com</a>
			</p>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table>
<br />
</body>
</html>

--------------26983B6DB9691876B3223A21--

--===============2935214551785569383==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2935214551785569383==--

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 15:32:15 -0500

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 12:50 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I'm looking for a good 'spray on' type then rinse off.  What REALLY works
> well?  Thanks.

Kano's Floway works pretty good.  http://www.kanolabs.com/engCle.html

Kind of pricey, though.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]