Subject: [Shop-talk] Engineering question

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 20:48:31 GMT

--===============4398739631298720444==

----__JWM__J3df735da.199e4ee5S.385663e2M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and have plenty to be thankful f=
or! I am adding diesel storage capacity to my shop.I got a good deal on =
an aluminum semitruck fuel tank ( 26" diameter  68" long) and need to co=
nstruct a stand for it.These are normally secured on the truck with meta=
l straps or bands. For my stand I am considering constructing large "X" =
from pressure treated 4x4 and resting the tank in the upper V.I would ti=
e them together with 2x4 s to keep them from cocking.  I figure I would =
be safe with 3 Xs if any doubt, 4 to make sure. Question:  If I went wit=
h only 2 supports and kept them out on the ends, would the bending momen=
t (bowing) threaten the integrity of the tank?150 gallons is about 1000#=
.  Similarly, would the reduced "contact patch" of X mounts vice continu=
ous straps threaten the tank walls? I am sure I could dig out my old Sta=
tics book and find the equation, but don't have a design bending limit f=
or the tank.I am anticipating that just 2 supports, especially out at th=
e ends would be too risky.  Thanks for your thoughts,Matt in GA  
----__JWM__J3df735da.199e4ee5S.385663e2M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and have plenty to be=
 thankful for!</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>I am adding diesel storage capacity to my shop.</div>
<div>I got a good deal on an aluminum semitruck fuel tank ( 26" diameter=
 &nbsp;68" long) and need to construct a stand for it.</div>
<div>These are normally secured on the truck with metal straps or bands.=
</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>For my stand I am considering constructing large "X" from pressure =
treated 4x4 and resting the tank in the upper V.</div>
<div>I would tie them together with 2x4 s to keep them from cocking. &nb=
sp;I figure I would be safe with 3 Xs if any doubt, 4 to make sure.</div=
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Question: &nbsp;If I went with only 2 supports and kept them out on=
 the ends, would the bending moment (bowing) threaten the integrity of t=
he tank?</div>
<div>150 gallons is about 1000#. &nbsp;Similarly, would the reduced "con=
tact patch" of X mounts vice continuous straps threaten the tank walls?<=
/div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>I am sure I could dig out my old <em>Statics</em> book and find the=
 equation, but don't have a design bending limit for the tank.</div>
<div>I am anticipating that just 2 supports, especially out at the ends =
would be too risky.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Thanks for your thoughts,</div>
<div>Matt in GA</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div></html>

----__JWM__J3df735da.199e4ee5S.385663e2M--

--===============4398739631298720444==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4398739631298720444==--