Subject: [Shop-talk] What is the best trickle charger? (and Harbor Freight Go-Jacks followup)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 12:46:48 -0500 11/18/2016 12:46:55 PM, Serialize complete at 11/18/2016 12:46:55 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============4992349745930807412==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 0061AB338525806F_=

Friends, I hope this doesn't turn into a "synthetic or conventional oil" 
type debate.

What is currently the best trickle charger on the market?  I'm tried of 
ones that break or don't seem to work properly.  I currently use 
Shumakers, but they don't seem to be doing the job.  (Maybe I just need a 
different model of theirs?)

Price isn't a huge issue, (under $200 a piece I would guess.)  But I want 
something that will work.  I use them, all the time, on a forklift, 
motorcycles, ATV, Generator and a few other items.

TIA.

Update on Harbor Freight Go Jacks.  They are not hydraulic like actually 
go jacks.  They DO lift the trailer with no issues and I can move it on 
pavement.  I does require alot of force to move, but that isn't the jacks 
issue.)  I'm thinking the hydraulic ones are NOT preferred as they have 
seals that can go bad over time.  These are mechanical and there isn't 
anything really to fail.

If you ever wanted a set, order them now for $70 each and save serious 
cash!

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
--=_alternative 0061AB338525806F_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Friends, I hope this doesn't turn into
a &quot;synthetic or conventional oil&quot; type debate.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">What is currently the best trickle charger
on the market? &nbsp;I'm tried of ones that break or don't seem to work
properly. &nbsp;I currently use Shumakers, but they don't seem to be doing
the job. &nbsp;(Maybe I just need a different model of theirs?)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Price isn't a huge issue, (under $200
a piece I would guess.) &nbsp;But I want something that will work. &nbsp;I
use them, all the time, on a forklift, motorcycles, ATV, Generator and
a few other items.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">TIA.</font>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Update on Harbor Freight Go Jacks. &nbsp;They
are not hydraulic like actually go jacks. &nbsp;They DO lift the trailer
with no issues and I can move it on pavement. &nbsp;I does require alot
of force to move, but that isn't the jacks issue.) &nbsp;I'm thinking the
hydraulic ones are NOT preferred as they have seals that can go bad over
time. &nbsp;These are mechanical and there isn't anything really to fail.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">If you ever wanted a set, order them
now for $70 each and save serious cash!</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>
--=_alternative 0061AB338525806F_=--

--===============4992349745930807412==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4992349745930807412==--

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 13:35:58 -0500

--===============6697634453050280636==
	boundary="=====================_585183041==.ALT"

--=====================_585183041==.ALT

Eric,

I use battery minders in my garage.  They are supposed to have a 
desulfating function.  I haven't done any in depth analysis, but they 
seem to keep the batteries in good shape and the price is way less 
than $200 for the basic, single 12V battery model.  More like 
$50.  As for the GoJak dollies, they are not hydraulic.  At least the 
original ones that I have are not.  The only ones I saw that were 
hydraulic were copies by other companies.  I assumed that this was an 
attempt to get around the GoJak patent, but now that has 
expired.  The force required to move the dollies, whether GoJaks or 
any other style, all comes down to the surface and the quality of the 
casters.  GoJaks come with very nice casters.  I have taken cheap 
Chinese dollies with steel casters and made them lots better by 
replacing the casters.  Of course, the casters probably cost more 
than the dollies at that point, but the end result was something way 
more functional.  I guess as long as you are having success with what 
you have, there's no reason to mess with it.

-Steve

At 12:46 PM 11/18/2016, [email-masked] wrote:
>Friends, I hope this doesn't turn into a "synthetic or conventional 
>oil" type debate.
>
>What is currently the best trickle charger on the market?  I'm tried 
>of ones that break or don't seem to work properly.  I currently use 
>Shumakers, but they don't seem to be doing the job.  (Maybe I just 
>need a different model of theirs?)
>
>Price isn't a huge issue, (under $200 a piece I would guess.)  But I 
>want something that will work.  I use them, all the time, on a 
>forklift, motorcycles, ATV, Generator and a few other items.
>
>TIA.
>
>
>Update on Harbor Freight Go Jacks.  They are not hydraulic like 
>actually go jacks.  They DO lift the trailer with no issues and I 
>can move it on pavement.  I does require alot of force to move, but 
>that isn't the jacks issue.)  I'm thinking the hydraulic ones are 
>NOT preferred as they have seals that can go bad over time.  These 
>are mechanical and there isn't anything really to fail.
>
>If you ever wanted a set, order them now for $70 each and save serious cash!

--=====================_585183041==.ALT
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<body>
Eric,<br><br>
I use battery minders in my garage.&nbsp; They are supposed to have a
desulfating function.&nbsp; I haven't done any in depth analysis, but
they seem to keep the batteries in good shape and the price is way less
than $200 for the basic, single 12V battery model.&nbsp; More like
$50.&nbsp; As for the GoJak dollies, they are not hydraulic.&nbsp; At
least the original ones that I have are not.&nbsp; The only ones I saw
that were hydraulic were copies by other companies.&nbsp; I assumed that
this was an attempt to get around the GoJak patent, but now that has
expired.&nbsp; The force required to move the dollies, whether GoJaks or
any other style, all comes down to the surface and the quality of the
casters.&nbsp; GoJaks come with very nice casters.&nbsp; I have taken
cheap Chinese dollies with steel casters and made them lots better by
replacing the casters.&nbsp; Of course, the casters probably cost more
than the dollies at that point, but the end result was something way more
functional.&nbsp; I guess as long as you are having success with what you
have, there's no reason to mess with it.&nbsp; <br><br>
-Steve <br><br>
<br><br>
At 12:46 PM 11/18/2016, [email-masked] wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=3Dcite class=3Dcite cite=3D""><font size=3D2>Friends, I hop=
e
this doesn't turn into a &quot;synthetic or conventional oil&quot; type
debate.</font> <br><br>
<font size=3D2>What is currently the best trickle charger on the
market?&nbsp; I'm tried of ones that break or don't seem to work
properly.&nbsp; I currently use Shumakers, but they don't seem to be
doing the job.&nbsp; (Maybe I just need a different model of
theirs?)</font> <br><br>
<font size=3D2>Price isn't a huge issue, (under $200 a piece I would
guess.)&nbsp; But I want something that will work.&nbsp; I use them, all
the time, on a forklift, motorcycles, ATV, Generator and a few other
items.</font> <br><br>
<font size=3D2>TIA.</font> <br><br>
<br>
<font size=3D2>Update on Harbor Freight Go Jacks.&nbsp; They are not
hydraulic like actually go jacks.&nbsp; They DO lift the trailer with no
issues and I can move it on pavement.&nbsp; I does require alot of force
to move, but that isn't the jacks issue.)&nbsp; I'm thinking the
hydraulic ones are NOT preferred as they have seals that can go bad over
time.&nbsp; These are mechanical and there isn't anything really to
fail.</font> <br><br>
<font size=3D2>If you ever wanted a set, order them now for $70 each and
save serious cash!</font> <br>
<font size=3D2></font></blockquote></body>
</html>

--=====================_585183041==.ALT--

--===============6697634453050280636==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6697634453050280636==--

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:57:33 -0500

I have a Schumacher XC-103 that, like you said, 
won't charge a completely dead battery.  It has 
to sense the voltage to turn itself on.  This 
seems completely crazy to me and I did consider 
this to be a show stopper.  What's the point of a 
battery charger  that can't charge a dead 
battery?  Then I talked to a Schumacher tech 
support guy who told me that if you press and 
hold both buttons down on the front panel while 
plugging the unit in, it will override the stupid 
logic and start charging.  This isn't documented 
anywhere.  With this little bit of secret 
knowledge, this became a useful charger again!  I 
wonder if other brands have a secret bypass feature.

-Steve

At 02:35 PM 11/18/2016, Karl Vacek wrote:

>
>A BatteryMinder requires battery voltage over 
>some threshold before it will function.�  Bought 
>a Vector charger a few years ago and it died � 
>it also required some threshold voltage before 
>it would charge a battery.�  I have a 1975 
>Schumacher charger on its third and I hope last 
>set of diodes, used for emergencies � it’ll 
>start a completely dead car with a couple of minutes’ boost charge.
>

[email-masked]
utox.team.net