Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cutting plate with ox/acyt torch

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 18:00:23 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4204190973628469496==
 boundary="------------93BAB62A5F820A610603FB42"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------93BAB62A5F820A610603FB42
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

First, clean your tip really well and have good flame shape.  Then make 
sure you have enough oxygen pressure and a good neutral flame when the 
trigger is pulled.  Make sure you have enough preheat and a slow enough 
rate of advance.  If that doesn't work then go up at least one size, 
maybe two.  3/4" is pretty stout.  What brand of torch are you using?

On 11/17/2016 3:12 PM, john niolon wrote:
> usually my torch cutting is on 1/4” or less plate and my torch handles 
> it fine
> got a piece of 3/4” steel plate I need to cut and my torch isn’t 
> cutting clean or cutting completely through...
> I think probably I need a larger tip..  think mine is a “0” or a 
> “1”...  or course you need to factor in the operator...
> do you think that’s my problem ???   what tip size would you recommend
> thanks
> john
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--------------93BAB62A5F820A610603FB42
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    First, clean your tip really well and have good flame shape.  Then
    make sure you have enough oxygen pressure and a good neutral flame
    when the trigger is pulled.  Make sure you have enough preheat and a
    slow enough rate of advance.  If that doesn't work then go up at
    least one size, maybe two.  3/4" is pretty stout.  What brand of
    torch are you using?  <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/17/2016 3:12 PM, john niolon
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:625783E2CC784E4D8B91B13D58FAF613@UserPC"
      type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR:
          #000000">
          <div>usually my torch cutting is on 1/4” or less plate and my
            torch handles it fine</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>got a piece of 3/4” steel plate I need to cut and my
            torch isn’t cutting clean or cutting completely through...</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>I think probably I need a larger tip..  think mine is a
            “0” or a “1”...  or course you need to factor in the
            operator...</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>do you think that’s my problem ???   what tip size would
            you recommend</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>thanks</div>
          <div>john</div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  
<br /><br />
<hr style='border:none; color:#909090; background-color:#B0B0B0; height: 1px; width: 99%;' />
<table style='border-collapse:collapse;border:none;'>
	<tr>
		<td style='border:none;padding:0px 15px 0px 8px'>
			<a href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">
				<img border=0 src="http://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp.png" alt="Avast logo" />
			</a>
		</td>
		<td>
			<p style='color:#3d4d5a; font-family:"Calibri","Verdana","Arial","Helvetica"; font-size:12pt;'>
				This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
				<br><a href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">www.avast.com</a>
			</p>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table>
<br />
</body>
</html>

--------------93BAB62A5F820A610603FB42--

--===============4204190973628469496==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4204190973628469496==--

---

From: "john niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 20:43:54 -0600

--===============9165022349905120011==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_03D3_01D24113.5075FEE0"

------=_NextPart_000_03D3_01D24113.5075FEE0
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Oxweld torch... surprised me this evening I pulled the tip and it=92s a =
1=94 tip...   so now I=92m thinking I=92ve got a problem with mix... =
haven=92t used ox/act in a long time... and never on 3/4... most of my =
stuff is no more than 1/4 and smaller and I use a metabo grinder with a =
cutoff wheel 90% of the time.   I=92m gonna use your suggestions and try =
cutting again tomorrow.   I=92m using a 40/4 psi  ox/act ... might inch =
that up a little.. hate to admit it=92s probably a technique problem.

From: Dave Cavanaugh=20
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:00 PM
To: john niolon ; shop-talk=20
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cutting plate with ox/acyt torch

First, clean your tip really well and have good flame shape.  Then make =
sure you have enough oxygen pressure and a good neutral flame when the =
trigger is pulled.  Make sure you have enough preheat and a slow enough =
rate of advance.  If that doesn't work then go up at least one size, =
maybe two.  3/4" is pretty stout.  What brand of torch are you using? =20

  usually my torch cutting is on 1/4=94 or less plate and my torch =
handles it fine

  got a piece of 3/4=94 steel plate I need to cut and my torch isn=92t =
cutting clean or cutting completely through...

  I think probably I need a larger tip..  think mine is a =930=94 or a =
=931=94...  or course you need to factor in the operator...

  do you think that=92s my problem ???   what tip size would you =
recommend

  thanks
  john

  =20

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-------
        This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus =
software.=20
      www.avast.com=20
    =20

------=_NextPart_000_03D3_01D24113.5075FEE0
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-1252" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr bgColor=3D#ffffff text=3D#000000>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>Oxweld torch... surprised me this evening I pulled the tip and =
it=92s a 1=94=20
tip...&nbsp;&nbsp; so now I=92m thinking I=92ve got a problem with =
mix... haven=92t=20
used ox/act in a long time... and never on 3/4... most of my stuff is no =
more=20
than 1/4 and smaller and I use a metabo grinder with a cutoff wheel 90% =
of the=20
time.&nbsp;&nbsp; I=92m gonna use your suggestions and try cutting again =

tomorrow.&nbsp;&nbsp; I=92m using a 40/4 psi&nbsp; ox/act ... might inch =
that up a=20
little.. hate to admit it=92s probably a technique problem.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt tahoma">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #f5f5f5">
<DIV style=3D"font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">Dave Cavanaugh</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:00 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=[email-masked] =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">john=20
niolon</A> ; <A title=[email-masked]=20
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">shop-talk</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Shop-talk] cutting plate with ox/acyt=20
torch</DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D'FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri"; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; =
DISPLAY: inline'>First,=20
clean your tip really well and have good flame shape.&nbsp; Then make =
sure you=20
have enough oxygen pressure and a good neutral flame when the trigger is =

pulled.&nbsp; Make sure you have enough preheat and a slow enough rate =
of=20
advance.&nbsp; If that doesn't work then go up at least one size, maybe=20
two.&nbsp; 3/4" is pretty stout.&nbsp; What brand of torch are you =
using?&nbsp;=20
<BR><BR>
<DIV class=3Dmoz-cite-prefix>On 11/17/2016 3:12 PM, john niolon =
wrote:<BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE cite=3Dmid:625783E2CC784E4D8B91B13D58FAF613@UserPC =
type=3D"cite">
  <DIV dir=3Dltr>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: =
#000000">
  <DIV>usually my torch cutting is on 1/4=94 or less plate and my torch =
handles it=20
  fine</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>got a piece of 3/4=94 steel plate I need to cut and my torch =
isn=92t cutting=20
  clean or cutting completely through...</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I think probably I need a larger tip..&nbsp; think mine is a =
=930=94 or a=20
  =931=94...&nbsp; or course you need to factor in the operator...</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>do you think that=92s my problem ???&nbsp;&nbsp; what tip size =
would you=20
  recommend</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>thanks</DIV>
  <DIV>john</DIV></DIV></DIV><BR>
  <FIELDSET class=3DmimeAttachmentHeader></FIELDSET> <BR><PRE =
wrap=3D"">_______________________________________________

<A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-abbreviated =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A>
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html<=
/A>
Archive: <A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</A>
Forums: <A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</A>
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/cavanadd@frontier=
.com">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]=
om</A>

</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR><BR>
<HR=20
style=3D"BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT: medium =
none; WIDTH: 99%; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; COLOR: #909090; =
BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b0b0b0">

<TABLE=20
style=3D"BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; =
BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; COLOR: #000000; =
BORDER-LEFT: medium none">
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; =
BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; =
PADDING-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 15px"><A=20
      href=3D"https://www.avast.com/antivirus"><IMG border=3D0 =
alt=3D"Avast logo"=20
      src=3D"http://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp.png"> =
</A></TD>
    <TD>
      <P=20
      style=3D'FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: =
"Calibri","Verdana","Arial","Helvetica"; COLOR: #3d4d5a'>This=20
      email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. =
<BR><A=20
      href=3D"https://www.avast.com/antivirus">www.avast.com</A>=20
</P></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><BR></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_03D3_01D24113.5075FEE0--

--===============9165022349905120011==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9165022349905120011==--

---

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 19:11:13 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2269478105897197001==
 boundary="------------13D8491D6E2BCDF7307067E4"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------13D8491D6E2BCDF7307067E4
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Try changing to about 20 or so pounds on the 02 and about seven on the 
acetylene,  then make sure you have a neutral flame.  Sounds like you 
mostly need to adjust your pressures.

On 11/17/2016 6:43 PM, john niolon wrote:
> Oxweld torch... surprised me this evening I pulled the tip and it’s a 
> 1” tip...   so now I’m thinking I’ve got a problem with mix... haven’t 
> used ox/act in a long time... and never on 3/4... most of my stuff is 
> no more than 1/4 and smaller and I use a metabo grinder with a cutoff 
> wheel 90% of the time.   I’m gonna use your suggestions and try 
> cutting again tomorrow.   I’m using a 40/4 psi  ox/act ... might inch 
> that up a little.. hate to admit it’s probably a technique problem.
> *Sent:* Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:00 PM
> *Subject:* Re: [Shop-talk] cutting plate with ox/acyt torch
> slow enough rate of advance.  If that doesn't work then go up at least 
> one size, maybe two.  3/4" is pretty stout.  What brand of torch are 
> you using?
>
>> usually my torch cutting is on 1/4” or less plate and my torch 
>> handles it fine
>> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Archive:http://www.team.net/archive
>> Forums:http://www.team.net/forums
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Avast logo <https://www.avast.com/antivirus> 	
>
> www.avast.com <https://www.avast.com/antivirus>
>
>

---

--------------13D8491D6E2BCDF7307067E4
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    Try changing to about 20 or so pounds on the 02 and about seven on
    the acetylene,  then make sure you have a neutral flame.  Sounds
    like you mostly need to adjust your pressures.  <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/17/2016 6:43 PM, john niolon
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:6B92E43A11A641348CA2876DE2E87AE0@UserPC"
      type="cite">
      <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
        http-equiv="Content-Type">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR:
          #000000">
          <div>Oxweld torch... surprised me this evening I pulled the
            tip and it’s a 1” tip...   so now I’m thinking I’ve got a
            problem with mix... haven’t used ox/act in a long time...
            and never on 3/4... most of my stuff is no more than 1/4 and
            smaller and I use a metabo grinder with a cutoff wheel 90%
            of the time.   I’m gonna use your suggestions and try
            cutting again tomorrow.   I’m using a 40/4 psi  ox/act ...
            might inch that up a little.. hate to admit it’s probably a
            technique problem.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div style="FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none;
            FONT-FAMILY: &quot;Calibri&quot;; FONT-WEIGHT: normal;
            COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; DISPLAY: inline">
            <div style="FONT: 10pt tahoma">
              <div> </div>
              <div style="BACKGROUND: #f5f5f5">
                <div style="font-color: black"><b>From:</b> <a
                    moz-do-not-send="true" title="[email-masked]"
                    href="mailto:[email-masked]">Dave Cavanaugh</a>
                </div>
                <div><b>Sent:</b> Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:00 PM</div>
                <div><b>To:</b> <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                    title="[email-masked]"
                    href="mailto:[email-masked]">john niolon</a> ; <a
                    moz-do-not-send="true"
                    title="[email-masked]"
                    href="mailto:[email-masked]">shop-talk</a>
                </div>
                <div><b>Subject:</b> Re: [Shop-talk] cutting plate with
                  ox/acyt torch</div>
              </div>
            </div>
            <div> </div>
          </div>
          <div style="FONT-SIZE: small; TEXT-DECORATION: none;
            FONT-FAMILY: &quot;Calibri&quot;; FONT-WEIGHT: normal;
            COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; DISPLAY: inline">First,
            clean your tip really well and have good flame shape.  Then
            make sure you have enough oxygen pressure and a good neutral
            flame when the trigger is pulled.  Make sure you have enough
            preheat and a slow enough rate of advance.  If that doesn't
            work then go up at least one size, maybe two.  3/4" is
            pretty stout.  What brand of torch are you using?  <br>
            <br>
            <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/17/2016 3:12 PM, john
              niolon wrote:<br>
            </div>
            <blockquote
              cite="mid:625783E2CC784E4D8B91B13D58FAF613@UserPC"
              type="cite">
              <div dir="ltr">
                <div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri';
                  COLOR: #000000">
                  <div>usually my torch cutting is on 1/4” or less plate
                    and my torch handles it fine</div>
                  <div> </div>
                  <div>got a piece of 3/4” steel plate I need to cut and
                    my torch isn’t cutting clean or cutting completely
                    through...</div>
                  <div> </div>
                  <div>I think probably I need a larger tip..  think
                    mine is a “0” or a “1”...  or course you need to
                    factor in the operator...</div>
                  <div> </div>
                  <div>do you think that’s my problem ???   what tip
                    size would you recommend</div>
                  <div> </div>
                  <div>thanks</div>
                  <div>john</div>
                </div>
              </div>
              <br>
              <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
              <br>
              <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

</pre>
            </blockquote>
            <br>
            <br>
            <br>
            <hr style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; HEIGHT: 1px;
              BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; WIDTH: 99%; BORDER-BOTTOM:
              medium none; COLOR: #909090; BORDER-LEFT: medium none;
              BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b0b0b0">
            <table style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium
              none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium
              none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-LEFT: medium none">
              <tbody>
                <tr>
                  <td style="BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT:
                    medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none;
                    PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT:
                    8px; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 15px"><a
                      moz-do-not-send="true"
                      href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus"><img
                        moz-do-not-send="true" alt="Avast logo"
                        src="http://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp.png"
                        border="0"> </a></td>
                  <td>
                    <p style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY:
&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;Verdana&quot;,&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;Helvetica&quot;;
                      COLOR: #3d4d5a">This email has been checked for
                      viruses by Avast antivirus software. <br>
                      <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                        href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">www.avast.com</a>
                    </p>
                  </td>
                </tr>
              </tbody>
            </table>
            <br>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  
<br /><br />

--------------13D8491D6E2BCDF7307067E4--

--===============2269478105897197001==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2269478105897197001==--