Subject: [Shop-talk] Trailer storage idea

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 17:17:40 -0400 10/20/2016 05:17:49 PM, Serialize complete at 10/20/2016 05:17:49 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============0622621637676614451==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 0074FB6685258052_=

I have an idea that I was wondering if anyone could let me know their 
opinion. 

I have a large dual axle car trailer.  I store it in a building and I need 
a fork-lift to maneuver it into it's storage space.

I was wonder if I could use a set of car dollies (the ones that go under 
the tires) to pull the trailer straight back onto them and the manually 
push the trailer laterally into it's spot so I wouldn't need to use the 
fork-lift.

Here are my concerns...

1 Getting the trailer on and off the dollies (do I need to jack it up or 
can I drive them on them.)

2 What is a good set of dollies?  (I only need to move it laterally, so I 
don't need a set with casters, just the ones with the rollers should be 
fine.)

3 Finally, the building has an asphalt floor.  I would imagine that the 
rollers would sink into them.  So I would need to get them on a wood 
plank.  What is the minimum thickest of plank to prevent sinking, but easy 
enough to roll the trailer onto?

Thanks!

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
--=_alternative 0074FB6685258052_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">I have an idea that I was wondering if
anyone could let me know their opinion. &nbsp;</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I have a large dual axle car trailer.
&nbsp;I store it in a building and I need a fork-lift to maneuver it into
it's storage space.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I was wonder if I could use a set of
car dollies (the ones that go under the tires) to pull the trailer straight
back onto them and the manually push the trailer laterally into it's spot
so I wouldn't need to use the fork-lift.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Here are my concerns...</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">1 Getting the trailer on and off the
dollies (do I need to jack it up or can I drive them on them.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">2 What is a good set of dollies? &nbsp;(I
only need to move it laterally, so I don't need a set with casters, just
the ones with the rollers should be fine.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">3 Finally, the building has an asphalt
floor. &nbsp;I would imagine that the rollers would sink into them. &nbsp;So
I would need to get them on a wood plank. &nbsp;What is the minimum thickest
of plank to prevent sinking, but easy enough to roll the trailer onto?</font>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Thanks!</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Eric P<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>
--=_alternative 0074FB6685258052_=--

--===============0622621637676614451==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0622621637676614451==--

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 19:18:34 -0400

--===============2511434369973682978==
	boundary="=====================_621489653==.ALT"

--=====================_621489653==.ALT

I don't know of any car dollies that you can drive onto.  The only 
ones I know of that don't require jacking are go-jaks and their 
clones.  Go-jaks are great, but expensive.  They, and all of the 
dollies I am familiar with, have casters.  I have never heard of 
dollies with rollers.  An asphalt floor would definitely be a problem 
for most dollies with casters.  Any with high quality casters are 
awesome on a truly flat concrete floor.  As the floor surface gets 
rougher, they get much harder to use.  Note, I said high quality 
casters.  Many dollies come with terrible casters, especially any of 
the cheap Chinese ones.

For boat trailers I have used jacks like this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Dutton-Lainson/DL22300.html

I have considered mounting another pair at the rear end of the 
trailer for maneuvering in situations like yours.  I haven't ever 
tried it, though.  They aren't too expensive, though, if you want to 
give that a try.  My trailer is open.  This may not make sense for an 
enclosed trailer.

People have been maneuvering trailers and cars using floor jacks for 
ages.  Of course, that doesn't work too well on a rough surface either.

-Steve

At 05:17 PM 10/20/2016, [email-masked] wrote:
>I have an idea that I was wondering if anyone could let me know 
>their opinion.
>
>I have a large dual axle car trailer.  I store it in a building and 
>I need a fork-lift to maneuver it into it's storage space.
>
>I was wonder if I could use a set of car dollies (the ones that go 
>under the tires) to pull the trailer straight back onto them and the 
>manually push the trailer laterally into it's spot so I wouldn't 
>need to use the fork-lift.
>
>Here are my concerns...
>
>1 Getting the trailer on and off the dollies (do I need to jack it 
>up or can I drive them on them.)
>
>2 What is a good set of dollies?  (I only need to move it laterally, 
>so I don't need a set with casters, just the ones with the rollers 
>should be fine.)
>
>3 Finally, the building has an asphalt floor.  I would imagine that 
>the rollers would sink into them.  So I would need to get them on a 
>wood plank.  What is the minimum thickest of plank to prevent 
>sinking, but easy enough to roll the trailer onto?

--=====================_621489653==.ALT

<html>
<body>
I don't know of any car dollies that you can drive onto.&nbsp; The only
ones I know of that don't require jacking are go-jaks and their
clones.&nbsp; Go-jaks are great, but expensive.&nbsp; They, and all of
the dollies I am familiar with, have casters.&nbsp; I have never heard of
dollies with rollers.&nbsp; An asphalt floor would definitely be a
problem for most dollies with casters.&nbsp; Any with high quality
casters are awesome on a truly flat concrete floor.&nbsp; As the floor
surface gets rougher, they get much harder to use.&nbsp; Note, I said
high quality casters.&nbsp; Many dollies come with terrible casters,
especially any of the cheap Chinese ones.&nbsp; <br><br>
For boat trailers I have used jacks like this:&nbsp; <br><br>
<a href="https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Dutton-Lainson/DL22300.html" eudora="autourl">
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Dutton-Lainson/DL22300.html</a><br>
<br>
I have considered mounting another pair at the rear end of the trailer
for maneuvering in situations like yours.&nbsp; I haven't ever tried it,
though.&nbsp; They aren't too expensive, though, if you want to give that
a try.&nbsp; My trailer is open.&nbsp; This may not make sense for an
enclosed trailer.&nbsp; <br><br>
People have been maneuvering trailers and cars using floor jacks for
ages.&nbsp; Of course, that doesn't work too well on a rough surface
either.&nbsp; <br><br>
-Steve<br><br>
At 05:17 PM 10/20/2016, [email-masked] wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite=""><font size=2>I have an idea that
I was wondering if anyone could let me know their opinion.&nbsp; </font>
<br><br>
<font size=2>I have a large dual axle car trailer.&nbsp; I store it in a
building and I need a fork-lift to maneuver it into it's storage
space.</font> <br><br>
<font size=2>I was wonder if I could use a set of car dollies (the ones
that go under the tires) to pull the trailer straight back onto them and
the manually push the trailer laterally into it's spot so I wouldn't need
to use the fork-lift.</font> <br><br>
<font size=2>Here are my concerns...</font> <br><br>
<font size=2>1 Getting the trailer on and off the dollies (do I need to
jack it up or can I drive them on them.)</font> <br><br>
<font size=2>2 What is a good set of dollies?&nbsp; (I only need to move
it laterally, so I don't need a set with casters, just the ones with the
rollers should be fine.)</font> <br><br>
<font size=2>3 Finally, the building has an asphalt floor.&nbsp; I would
imagine that the rollers would sink into them.&nbsp; So I would need to
get them on a wood plank.&nbsp; What is the minimum thickest of plank to
prevent sinking, but easy enough to roll the trailer onto?</font>
</blockquote></body>
</html>

--=====================_621489653==.ALT--

--===============2511434369973682978==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2511434369973682978==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 20:10:17 -0400 10/20/2016 08:10:20 PM, Serialize complete at 10/20/2016 08:10:20 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============1893111601405105018==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 0000F2DC85258053_=

Jeff, thanks for the reply.  I do have one of the wheeled dollies.  The 
problem is with a dual axle trailer, (and mine is pretty heavy) there is 
no hope at all to turn it by hand.  I use a hitch ball mounted on the end 
of the forklift tine to push the trailer in place.

----- Forwarded by Eric Petrevich/Megageek on 10/20/2016 08:08 PM -----

From:   Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
To:     [email-masked]
Cc:     "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date:   10/20/2016 06:45 PM
Subject:        Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer storage idea

Eric,

I don't know the details of how the trailer is maneuvered with the
forklift, but we had a "walker" for our travel trailer to fit it into
a tight storage spot.  I can't find a picture, but it was like two
upside-down soup bowls connected on the top (bottom of the "bowl") by
square tubing.  In the middle of the square tubing was a hitch ball.
A long pole fit in one end of the tubing.  By manipulating the pole,
you could walk the two bowl "feet" and maneuver the trailer.

And then there's the two-wheel gadgets, like this:
http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/MaxxTow/MT70225.html

Still need to go to all that trouble?  Can you stick one corner where
it will end up, put a jack stand under it, and use a jack on the other
end to swing it in place?

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

--=_alternative 0000F2DC85258053_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Jeff, thanks for the reply. &nbsp;I do
have one of the wheeled dollies. &nbsp;The problem is with a dual axle
trailer, (and mine is pretty heavy) there is no hope at all to turn it
by hand. &nbsp;I use a hitch ball mounted on the end of the forklift tine
to push the trailer in place.<br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Eric P<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>
<br><font size=1 color=#800080 face="sans-serif">----- Forwarded by Eric
Petrevich/Megageek on 10/20/2016 08:08 PM -----</font>
<br>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">From: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Jeff Scarbrough &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">To: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">[email-masked]</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Cc: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">&quot;[email-masked]&quot;
&lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Date: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">10/20/2016 06:45 PM</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Subject: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Re: [Shop-talk]
Trailer storage idea</font>
<br>
<hr noshade>
<br>
<br>
<br><tt><font size=2>Eric,<br>
<br>
I don't know the details of how the trailer is maneuvered with the<br>
forklift, but we had a &quot;walker&quot; for our travel trailer to fit
it into<br>
a tight storage spot. &nbsp;I can't find a picture, but it was like two<br>
upside-down soup bowls connected on the top (bottom of the &quot;bowl&quot;)
by<br>
square tubing. &nbsp;In the middle of the square tubing was a hitch ball.<br>
A long pole fit in one end of the tubing. &nbsp;By manipulating the pole,<br>
you could walk the two bowl &quot;feet&quot; and maneuver the trailer.<br>
<br>
And then there's the two-wheel gadgets, like this:<br>
</font></tt><a href="http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/MaxxTow/MT70225.html"><tt><font size=2>http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/MaxxTow/MT70225.html</font></tt></a><tt><font size=2><br>
<br>
Still need to go to all that trouble? &nbsp;Can you stick one corner where<br>
it will end up, put a jack stand under it, and use a jack on the other<br>
end to swing it in place?<br>
<br>
Jeff Scarbrough<br>
Corrosion Acres, Ga.<br>
<br>
<br>
&gt;<br>
</font></tt>
--=_alternative 0000F2DC85258053_=--

--===============1893111601405105018==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1893111601405105018==--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 20:26:58 -0400 10/20/2016 08:27:01 PM, Serialize complete at 10/20/2016 08:27:01 PM

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============6300603870100453356==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 00027A1085258053_=

DING DING DING, we have winner!  The Go-jacks solve the problem of the 
tires sinking because I can 'release' them once the trailer is in place.

The only problem is, there are different models and styles of these things 
(not to mention lots of competitors with identical models)

Which one do I get?  Where is a good place to buy these from?

I looked for pics of ones with rollers and I can't find them.  Ironically, 
I sold a pair a few years ago before I thought of using them this way.

----- Forwarded by Eric Petrevich/Megageek on 10/20/2016 08:24 PM -----

From:   Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
To:     [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date:   10/20/2016 07:19 PM
Subject:        Re: [Shop-talk] Trailer storage idea

I don't know of any car dollies that you can drive onto.  The only ones I 
know of that don't require jacking are go-jaks and their clones.  Go-jaks 
are great, but expensive.  They, and all of the dollies I am familiar 
with, have casters.  I have never heard of dollies with rollers.  An 
asphalt floor would definitely be a problem for most dollies with casters. 
 Any with high quality casters are awesome on a truly flat concrete floor. 
 As the floor surface gets rougher, they get much harder to use.  Note, I 
said high quality casters.  Many dollies come with terrible casters, 
especially any of the cheap Chinese ones. 

I have considered mounting another pair at the rear end of the trailer for 
maneuvering in situations like yours.  I haven't ever tried it, though. 
They aren't too expensive, though, if you want to give that a try.  My 
trailer is open.  This may not make sense for an enclosed trailer. 

People have been maneuvering trailers and cars using floor jacks for ages. 
 Of course, that doesn't work too well on a rough surface either. 

-Steve

--=_alternative 00027A1085258053_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">DING DING DING, we have winner! &nbsp;The
Go-jacks solve the problem of the tires sinking because I can 'release'
them once the trailer is in place.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">The only problem is, there are different
models and styles of these things (not to mention lots of competitors with
identical models)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Which one do I get? &nbsp;Where is a
good place to buy these from?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I looked for pics of ones with rollers
and I can't find them. &nbsp;Ironically, I sold a pair a few years ago
before I thought of using them this way.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Eric P<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>
<br><font size=1 color=#800080 face="sans-serif">----- Forwarded by Eric
Petrevich/Megageek on 10/20/2016 08:24 PM -----</font>
<br>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">From: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Steven Trovato &lt;[email-masked]&gt;</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">To: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">[email-masked],
[email-masked]</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Date: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">10/20/2016 07:19 PM</font>
<br><font size=1 color=#5f5f5f face="sans-serif">Subject: &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;</font><font size=1 face="sans-serif">Re: [Shop-talk]
Trailer storage idea</font>
<br>
<hr noshade>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=3>I don't know of any car dollies that you can drive onto.
&nbsp;The only ones I know of that don't require jacking are go-jaks and
their clones. &nbsp;Go-jaks are great, but expensive. &nbsp;They, and all
of the dollies I am familiar with, have casters. &nbsp;I have never heard
of dollies with rollers. &nbsp;An asphalt floor would definitely be a problem
for most dollies with casters. &nbsp;Any with high quality casters are
awesome on a truly flat concrete floor. &nbsp;As the floor surface gets
rougher, they get much harder to use. &nbsp;Note, I said high quality casters.
&nbsp;Many dollies come with terrible casters, especially any of the cheap
Chinese ones. &nbsp;<br>
<br>
For boat trailers I have used jacks like this: &nbsp;<br>
</font><font size=3 color=blue><u><br>
</u></font><a href="https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Dutton-Lainson/DL22300.html"><font size=3 color=blue><u>https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Dutton-Lainson/DL22300.html</u></font></a><font size=3><br>
<br>
I have considered mounting another pair at the rear end of the trailer
for maneuvering in situations like yours. &nbsp;I haven't ever tried it,
though. &nbsp;They aren't too expensive, though, if you want to give that
a try. &nbsp;My trailer is open. &nbsp;This may not make sense for an enclosed
trailer. &nbsp;<br>
<br>
People have been maneuvering trailers and cars using floor jacks for ages.
&nbsp;Of course, that doesn't work too well on a rough surface either.
&nbsp;<br>
<br>
-Steve<br>
<br>
</font>
--=_alternative 00027A1085258053_=--

--===============6300603870100453356==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6300603870100453356==--