Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] cleaning my parts washer cleaner

From: john Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 06:51:11 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============2695935447108074054==
 boundary="------------AE802AB8FA2ED2962BC6D407"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------AE802AB8FA2ED2962BC6D407
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I use these filters from Northern tool with good results. 
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200141024_200141024 John 
Mitchell  Shelton, CT

On 9/5/2016 5:02 PM, john niolon wrote:
> I’ve got a table top parts washer...(old commercial unit I found at a 
> divorce sale)  metal sink and top over a polyethylene tank (about 5 
> gallons)  I use super agitene solvent and after 5 years it’s still 
> doing the job.   But... where it used to be nice and clear, it’s 
> getting grundgy now and I’m sure the tank has a nice thick layer of 
> crud on bottom.   It’s starting to run a little slow and I was going 
> to clean everything out and see if that helps.
> question... what’s the best ‘strainer’ material to pour the solvent 
> through ??  paint strainer?  old tee shirt...?? I can do this two or 
> three times while I’m scrapping the tank clean...
> john
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

--------------AE802AB8FA2ED2962BC6D407
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <p>I use these filters from Northern tool with good results. 
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200141024_200141024">http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200141024_200141024</a>     
      John Mitchell  Shelton, CT<br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/5/2016 5:02 PM, john niolon wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:D74A30CD394744C5BF0D8ADA6BAE8F33@UserPC"
      type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR:
          #000000">
          <div>I’ve got a table top parts washer...(old commercial unit
            I found at a divorce sale)  metal sink and top over a
            polyethylene tank (about 5 gallons)  I use super agitene
            solvent and after 5 years it’s still doing the job.   But...
            where it used to be nice and clear, it’s getting grundgy now
            and I’m sure the tank has a nice thick layer of crud on
            bottom.   It’s starting to run a little slow and I was going
            to clean everything out and see if that helps.</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>question... what’s the best ‘strainer’ material to pour
            the solvent through ??  paint strainer?  old tee shirt...?? 
            I can do this two or three times while I’m scrapping the
            tank clean...</div>
          <div> </div>
          <div>john</div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------AE802AB8FA2ED2962BC6D407--

--===============2695935447108074054==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2695935447108074054==--

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 14:38:25 -0400

--===============4152199447916383425==
	boundary="=====================_155855123==.ALT"

--=====================_155855123==.ALT

Fifty bucks seems like a lot for that.  It says in the description 
"(2) filter bag."   I'm not sure if that means the send you two whole 
assemblies or an extra bag or that it contains two levels of 
filtration.  It also says it is 27lbs.  That is one pretty hefty 
filter!  John, what do you do when it gets dirty?  Is this cleanable 
and reusable or do you have to buy another one each time?

All I have ever done with mine is put it in five gallon pails and let 
it settle out.  I pour the top into the parts washer and then discard 
the very last bit.  I don't throw away very much.  Agitene is great, 
but it is expensive!

Maybe I am missing the whole point of a parts washer, but I also try 
not to put stuff in there that is too filthy.  If I can I do a little 
pre-cleaning with a scraper or garden hose depending on what the item 
is.  If I was in a commercial shop where the Safety-Kleen guy comes 
by on a regular schedule to swap out the solvent, it would be different.

-Steve

At 06:51 AM 9/6/2016, john Mitchell wrote:

><http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200141024_200141024>http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200141024_200141024 
>John Mitchell  Shelton, CT
>
>>I've got a table top parts washer...(old commercial unit I found at 
>>a divorce sale)  metal sink and top over a polyethylene tank (about 
>>5 gallons)  I use super agitene solvent and after 5 years it's 
>>still doing the job.   But... where it used to be nice and clear, 
>>it's getting grundgy now and I'm sure the tank has a nice thick 
>>layer of crud on bottom.   It's starting to run a little slow and I 
>>was going to clean everything out and see if that helps.
>>
>>question... what's the best 'strainer' material to pour the solvent 
>>through ??  paint strainer?  old tee shirt...??  I can do this two 
>>or three times while I'm scrapping the tank clean...
>>
>>john

--=====================_155855123==.ALT

<html>
<body>
Fifty bucks seems like a lot for that.&nbsp; It says in the description
&quot;(2) filter bag.&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm not sure if that means the
send you two whole assemblies or an extra bag or that it contains two
levels of filtration.&nbsp; It also says it is 27lbs.&nbsp; That is one
pretty hefty filter!&nbsp; John, what do you do when it gets dirty?&nbsp;
Is this cleanable and reusable or do you have to buy another one each
time? <br><br>
All I have ever done with mine is put it in five gallon pails and let it
settle out.&nbsp; I pour the top into the parts washer and then discard
the very last bit.&nbsp; I don't throw away very much.&nbsp; Agitene is
great, but it is expensive!&nbsp; <br><br>
Maybe I am missing the whole point of a parts washer, but I also try not
to put stuff in there that is too filthy.&nbsp; If I can I do a little
pre-cleaning with a scraper or garden hose depending on what the item
is.&nbsp; If I was in a commercial shop where the Safety-Kleen guy comes
by on a regular schedule to swap out the solvent, it would be
different.&nbsp; <br><br>
-Steve<br><br>
At 06:51 AM 9/6/2016, john Mitchell wrote:<br><br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">I use these filters from
Northern tool with good results.&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200141024_200141024">
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200141024_200141024</a>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; John Mitchell&nbsp; Shelton, CT<br><br>
On 9/5/2016 5:02 PM, john niolon wrote:<br>
<blockquote type=cite class=cite cite="">I’ve got a table top parts
washer...(old commercial unit I found at a divorce sale)&nbsp; metal sink
and top over a polyethylene tank (about 5 gallons)&nbsp; I use super
agitene solvent and after 5 years it’s still doing the job.&nbsp;&nbsp;
But... where it used to be nice and clear, it’s getting grundgy now and
I’m sure the tank has a nice thick layer of crud on bottom.&nbsp;&nbsp;
It’s starting to run a little slow and I was going to clean everything
out and see if that helps.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
question... what’s the best ‘strainer’ material to pour the solvent
through ??&nbsp; paint strainer?&nbsp; old tee shirt...??&nbsp; I can do
this two or three times while I’m scrapping the tank clean...<br>
&nbsp;<br>
john<br>
</blockquote></blockquote></body>
</html>

--=====================_155855123==.ALT--

--===============4152199447916383425==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4152199447916383425==--