Subject: [Shop-talk] Pick Handle

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 04:05:12 +0000

I need a new handle for my heavy vintage pick.  I have not been to a "real"
hardware store yet, only Home Depot.  They had one suitable handle.  The HD
SKU is #682989.  What they have is a normally shaped handle, but instead of
flaring at the top in the original hickory stock to fit the big head opening
of the pick, they have a ribbed plastic collar.  They did not have solid
wood pick handles and this seems a bit odd.

Pros:  The plastic ribbing did like to stick nicely to my pick head and I
suspect the plastic might absorb some vibration

Cons: it looks cheap and I am concerned that it won't hold up.  The finish
on the handle is pretty rough and I will likely refinish it.

Does anyone have experience with these "hybrid" pick handles.  The URL for
the Home Depot one is here.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Temper-36-in-Replacement-Handle-with-Handle-
Guard-2036900/100605612?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D28I-Insi
deGardenOther%7c&gclid=CMr28Nn-ks8CFUWBfgoddWIPDA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I can find the all wood ones on line, but I'd rather not mail order it.  I
once bought the wrong size Axe handle.  It was close, but just not right.
It took too many hours to hand fit that bad-boy and it's acceptable, but not
great.  Never again, if I can avoid it.  

Thanks in advance,

Jack

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive