Subject: [Shop-talk] Solenoid question

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 17:08:46 GMT

--===============4065020416540850504==

----__JWM__Jd26e9b8.1def2ee4S.64c28c6fM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

 I have been resurrecting a jet ski this summer and rather than wear dow=
n the tiny battery, I was doing most of the cranking with power from my =
12 volt battery charger/starter set to the starting/225A setting.  It re=
ally turned it over much better than the puny battery.  Well, after a fe=
w days, the solenoid crapped out, so I scavenged one from another junked=
 ski and all was fine.  Recently I was to the point of a shake down crui=
se and I find another dead solenoid.  I guess it is possible that both o=
ld solenoids just happened to be at the end of their life but I wonder i=
s there some reason that starting from a powered source rather then a ba=
ttery would be detrimental to the relay/solenoid? The good news is that =
rather than pay the $70 the local watercraft dealer wanted, I googled th=
e PN stamped on the failed solenoid and found replacements on amazon & e=
bay for $6!  So now I have several new ones but don't want to kill them =
if the start cart is a bad idea. TIA!
----__JWM__Jd26e9b8.1def2ee4S.64c28c6fM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>I have been resurrecting a jet ski this summer and rather than wear=
 down the tiny battery, I was doing most of the cranking with power from=
 my 12 volt battery charger/starter set to the starting/225A setting. &n=
bsp;It really turned it over much better than the puny battery. &nbsp;We=
ll, after a few days, the solenoid crapped out, so I scavenged one from =
another junked ski and all was fine. &nbsp;Recently I was to the point o=
f a shake down cruise and I find another dead solenoid. &nbsp;I guess it=
 is possible that both old solenoids just happened to be at the end of t=
heir life but I wonder is there some reason that starting from a powered=
 source rather then a battery would be detrimental to the relay/solenoid=
?</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>The good news is that rather than pay the $70 the local watercraft =
dealer wanted, I googled the PN stamped on the failed solenoid and found=
 replacements on amazon &amp; ebay for $6! &nbsp;So now I have several n=
ew ones but don't want to kill them if the start cart is a bad idea.</di=
v>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>TIA!</div></html>

----__JWM__Jd26e9b8.1def2ee4S.64c28c6fM--

--===============4065020416540850504==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4065020416540850504==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 15:46:41 -0700

> I was doing most of the cranking with power from my 12
> volt battery charger/starter set to the starting/225A setting.  

Most of those type of units have really poor voltage regulation, open
circuit voltage on the 'Start' setting may be as high as 24v or more!

My guess is the high voltage (possibly in the form of a huge inrush current
when the solenoid contacts close) is what killed the solenoid.

You can still use the charger, just leave the battery in the circuit.
Probably best to turn the charger down, and then give the starter a rest
when the battery gets tired; as the starter will also have a very limited
duty cycle.

-- Randall 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 00:32:41 GMT

--===============5346209020598176040==

----__JWM__J2ff1bb8a.7da49817S.112b2327M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

Thanks John and Randall.I figured there was some way it was overdriving =
the solenoid.  I didn't think it would be the amps because batteries can=
 provide plenty of them.Wasn't aware that the voltage regulation was sus=
pect! I WAS very careful to not cook the starter - those are expensive. =
I think I will just use a car battery & cables for further testing. MB

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Matt'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [Shop-talk] Solenoid question
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 15:46:41 -0700

> volt battery charger/starter set to the starting/225A setting.  =

My guess is the high voltage (possibly in the form of a huge inrush curr=
ent
when the solenoid contacts close) is what killed the solenoid.

You can still use the charger, just leave the battery in the circuit.
Probably best to turn the charger down, and then give the starter a rest=

when the battery gets tired; as the starter will also have a very limite=
d
duty cycle.

-- Randall

----__JWM__J2ff1bb8a.7da49817S.112b2327M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>Thanks John and Randall.</div>
<div>I figured there was some way it was overdriving the solenoid. &nbsp=
;I didn't think it would&nbsp;be the amps because batteries can provide =
plenty of them.</div>
<div>Wasn't aware that the voltage regulation was suspect!</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>I WAS very careful to not cook the starter - those are expensive.</=
div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>I think I will just use a car battery &amp; cables for further test=
ing.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>MB</div>
<div><br><br>---------- Original Message ----------<br>From: "Randall" &=
lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: "'Matt'" &lt;[email-masked]&gt;, &lt;=
[email-masked]&gt;<br>Subject: RE: [Shop-talk] Solenoid questi=
on<br>Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 15:46:41 -0700<br><br>&gt; I was doing most=
 of the cranking with power from my 12<br>&gt; volt battery charger/star=
ter set to the starting/225A setting. &nbsp;<br><br>Most of those type o=
f units have really poor voltage regulation, open<br>circuit voltage on =
the 'Start' setting may be as high as 24v or more!<br><br>My guess is th=
e high voltage (possibly in the form of a huge inrush current<br>when th=
e solenoid contacts close) is what killed the solenoid.<br><br>You can s=
till use the charger, just leave the battery in the circuit.<br>Probably=
 best to turn the charger down, and then give the starter a rest<br>when=
 the battery gets tired; as the starter will also have a very limited<br=
>duty cycle.<br><br>-- Randall</p></html>

----__JWM__J2ff1bb8a.7da49817S.112b2327M--

--===============5346209020598176040==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5346209020598176040==--