Subject: [Shop-talk] Adding timer to appliances/dehumidifier

From: PJ McGarvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 14:09:59 +0000

--===============1007496004304448419==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_BN3PR15MB07394C27440EF50137EDCF1B9AFB0BN3PR15MB0739namp_"

--_000_BN3PR15MB07394C27440EF50137EDCF1B9AFB0BN3PR15MB0739namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Curious if there is a way to add a timer on an appliance like a dehumidifie=
r. I really don't need the dehumidifier to run all day long like it current=
ly does, and trying to save a few bucks and have it run overnight or a few =
times a day.

The dehumidifier doesn't have this feature, and has a power on/off button t=
hat must be pressed to turn it back on if power is cut or it's turned off. =
So I can't just put it on a regular timer like a light switch. I could setu=
p the timer to cut power, but when it calls for power again, it would not t=
urn on.

Perhaps opening it up and bypassing the power switch would work, though I'm=
 wondering if dehumidifiers need a "soft start" type of power switch in ord=
er to prevent any damage if powered on suddenly. It's also under an extende=
d warranty so I'm hesitant to "mod" it and void the warranty.

Thanks

--_000_BN3PR15MB07394C27440EF50137EDCF1B9AFB0BN3PR15MB0739namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"><!-- P {margin-top:0;margi=
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size:12pt;color:#000000;back=
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
<p>Curious if there is a way to add a timer on an appliance like a dehumidi=
fier. <span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, &q=
uot;Apple Color Emoji&quot;, &quot;Segoe UI Emoji&quot;, NotoColorEmoji, &q=
uot;Segoe UI Symbol&quot;, &quot;Android Emoji&quot;, EmojiSymbols; font-si=
ze: 16px;">
I really don't need the dehumidifier to run all day long like it currently =
does, and trying to save a few bucks and have it run overnight or a few tim=
es a day.</span></p>
<p><br>
</p>
<p>The dehumidifier doesn't have this feature, and has a power on/off butto=
n that must be pressed to turn it back on if power is cut or it's turned of=
f.&nbsp;<span style=3D"font-size: 12pt;">So I can't just put it on a regula=
r timer like a light switch. I could setup
 the timer to cut power, but when it calls for power again, it would not tu=
rn on.</span></p>
<p><br>
</p>
<p>Perhaps opening it up and bypassing the power switch would work, though =
I'm wondering if dehumidifiers need a &quot;soft start&quot; type of power =
switch in order to prevent any damage if powered on suddenly. It's also und=
er an extended warranty so I'm hesitant to
 &quot;mod&quot; it and void the warranty.</p>
<p><br>
</p>
<p><br>
</p>
<p>Thanks</p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_BN3PR15MB07394C27440EF50137EDCF1B9AFB0BN3PR15MB0739namp_--

--===============1007496004304448419==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1007496004304448419==--