Subject: [Shop-talk] turning the end of a bolt.

From: Mike Rambour <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 13:25:39 -0700

I have a 1/2" bolt that I need to do 2 things to the end of the bolt.  
I need to drill a .125 hole in the middle for about a half-inch and turn 
the end down to .39, the bolt itself is 2.5 long and 1/2" diameter.

  I tried chucking it up in my 3 jaw chuck and I can't get tightened 
down without wobbling all over and the hole I need to drill would not 
end up in the middle of the bolt, also the turned down part would never 
be right.  I have tried quite a few different things to get tightened 
down without wobbling all without success.  The lathe (shoptask 
bridgemill) came with a 4 jaw chuck that i never installed, would that 
help ?  I am at the point where I am thinking of cutting off the bolt 
head, doing the machining and then welding the bolt head back on.

  This is non-critical part, so not worried about strength, just needs 
to be finger tight when installed but that .39 x .450 long machined end  
with the hold is critical to fit.

  I am NOT a machinist by any stretch of the imagination, I bought this 
shoptask 5 years ago and only used it once so far, I had a old sherline 
mini lathe that was way under powered for what I did with it and I used 
a lot so I decided with a bigger lathe I would get to do more things...I 
was wrong.  I don't know what I am doing and sometimes too scared to try 
and mess up my parts.

  But I am getting to the point in my current project where I can see 
use for this thing.  I have a plate that I need to mill down and instead 
of taking it to a shop to have it done, I am going to try it on my own, 
its just a carburetor spacer, nothing critical measurement wise.  If I 
mess it up, its only a $20 part that I can buy, so I will try it out.

  Once I get past this bolt thing...

     mike

-- 
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: greg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 20:00:26 -0500

I have had good results by nearly sawing through a matching nut (like a collet) and holding the bolt and nut in a three jaw chuck. The nut will protect the threads while you tighten the chuck. Accuracy will depend on the chuck.

Greg

SENT FROM ALCATEL ONETOUCH TABLET

On Aug 8, 2016 3:25 PM, Mike Rambour <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html 
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96 
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked] 
>

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:09:19 -0400

> I have had good results by nearly sawing through a matching nut (like a
> collet) and holding the bolt and nut in a three jaw chuck. The nut will
> protect the threads while you tighten the chuck. Accuracy will depend on
> the chuck.

Ditto, but I cut all the way through one corner of the nut, using a Dremel
tool and abrasive cutoff blade.  The nut deforms slightly under pressure
from the jaws to grip the bolt firmly, but then springs back to release it
once the jaws are released.

Save the nut for next time, it will also work in a vise for cross-drilling,
cutting to length, etc.

== Randall

[email-masked]