Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Have you built your own house?

From: Mark Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 11:06:55 -0700

I built mine about 10 years ago.  It was a wonderful experience for me 
and my family and we love our home. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat 
(except one seems to be plenty for us).

We designed it with an architect to take advantage of our site's views; 
I'm in rural West Sonoma County.

The permitting process was fairly straightforward (though expensive). 
County inspectors were great to work with and helpful (different than 
what I've heard from many other people so I think attitude might be 
important here. . .).
Our county permit folks put out a great residential construction manual 
noting most of the local code requirements.  It was very helpful.  If 
you can get something like that I recommend it.  If not: this one is 
probably generic enough to be useful; let me know and I can get you 
one.  I also bought a copy of the national electrical code book.  Also 
very useful.

I subbed out the foundation  as it was complicated (pier [57 at 14 feet 
deep] and grade beams)
Hired a small crew to assist me and we framed it to weather tight (took 
about 2 months).
I did all the plumbing, electrical, and assorted rough and finish carpentry.
Subbed the insulation (hate that)
Subbed the septic.
Subbed the sheetrock (hate that too)
Bought cabinetry for kitchen and baths
Subbed tile

I did it full time and it took 13 months from ground breaking to move 
in.  Final completion took - well, it's not quite done but to 98% was 
another 6-12 months (depends on whether you ask me or my wife).

Did I make mistakes in design and construction? Absolutely.  Were they 
all able to be worked around? Also yes.
One of the big advantages of doing it yourself is that you can do it so 
you can maintain it and also do the little things that you want but no 
one else would.  I've got shutoff valves under the house for each water 
zone (kitchen, baths, laundry) so I can turn them off separately and 
cleanouts on all drains at each bend.  Cost no more than $200-300 extra 
in parts. Way way more electrical outlets separated into more circuits 
than necessary.
Placed the electrical box under the kitchen so it was simple to have 
lots of breakers feed the space.

Regards,

Mark Miller
[email-masked]

] Have you built your own house?
> I'm toying with doing this, mostly myself. I've done a few big projects like dormers, full remodels, so I'm not green. I'm mostly curious in what you thought about the experience and the result, and would you do it again. I have read Norm Abrahms' book (which is a fun read if you haven't) as well as House by Tracy Kidder.
>
> thanks,
> jim
>
>

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 22:05:09 -0700

FYI - The residential construction manual is online at
http://www.sonoma-county.org/PRMD/docs/rcm/index.htm
It appears to be a popular Google entry as Google's guess popped up 
Sonoma County for me.  It looks like a handy resource.

At one point I had an interest in renovating a house, but don't think 
I'm up for it anymore.  I'm down to a few final finish items on a 
complete gut job of two bathrooms.   If you have kids with activities, 
devoting all that time to building a house may be a challenge.  I guess 
it depends on how understanding your wife is.

A lot depends on how good you are with building codes.  I read a bunch 
and electrical comes easy to me, so had no issues with electrical.  In 
the interest of time, I hired a plumber to do all the rough plumbing.  
They had all the fittings in their well stocked trucks.  I would have 
multiple trips to the store then lots of leftover parts.  I would have 
also done it the way it was then had to fix things that didn't pass 
code.  An example is the vanity drains.  Code here (Los Angeles area) 
requires a separate cleanout for each drain.  I would have left out the 
cleanout because I'm used to just undoing the trap and sending the snake 
down that opening.

Homeowners also have less pull with specialized trades when you want to 
get them in.  My bathrooms were slowed for a month while I tried to get 
a drywall contractor.  I had a wonderful contractor I used previously, 
but his team was fully booked on a condo complex and couldn't help.  I 
found a guy through a real estate agent, but this guy knew I was a one 
time job and jacked the price and did sloppy work.  With a builder, they 
know if they do a good job at a fair price, they will get more work.

If I won the lotto and didn't have a job and kids with activities, I'm 
sure I'd take on more big projects.  It is all a balancing act.

If you can find a contractor that will work with you and come in as 
needed, that might be something to consider.  In 2012, I replaced a 
balcony that went the length of the house.  Because it was cantilevered, 
I had to take out my entire downstairs ceiling.  I paid by the day and 
it work out really well.  His contacts got me a great deal on a trash 
hauler and the good drywall guy.  There are also lots of times you 
really want a crew - framing and roofing for example.  You can't safely 
lift a wall yourself and roofing is just hard work where you can get hurt.

Brian

On 8/3/2016 11:06 AM, Mark Miller wrote:
> We designed it with an architect to take advantage of our site's 
> views; I'm in rural West Sonoma County.
>
> Our county permit folks put out a great residential construction 
> manual noting most of the local code requirements.  It was very 
> helpful.  If you can get something like that I recommend it.  If not: 
> this one is probably generic enough to be useful; let me know and I 
> can get you one.  I also bought a copy of the national electrical code 
> book.  Also very useful.
>
> I subbed out the foundation  as it was complicated (pier [57 at 14 
> feet deep] and grade beams)
> Hired a small crew to assist me and we framed it to weather tight 
> (took about 2 months).
> One of the big advantages of doing it yourself is that you can do it 
> so you can maintain it and also do the little things that you want but 
> no one else would.  I've got shutoff valves under the house for each 
> water zone (kitchen, baths, laundry) so I can turn them off separately 
> and cleanouts on all drains at each bend. Cost no more than $200-300 
> extra in parts. Way way more electrical outlets separated into more 
> circuits than necessary.
>> I'm toying with doing this, mostly myself. I've done a few big 
>> projects like dormers, full remodels, so I'm not green. I'm mostly 
>> curious in what you thought about the experience and the result, and 
>> would you do it again. I have read Norm Abrahms' book (which is a fun 
>> read if you haven't) as well as House by Tracy Kidder.
>>
>> thanks,
>> jim
>>
>>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

[email-masked]