Subject: [Shop-talk] Cooling down an air conditioner

From: Robert nogueira <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 18:07:41 -0500

I've got a window mounted A/C in my garage. It generally does a pretty good job of cooling it down but now that the daily high is over 100 (f) it is having a problem and is tripping the breaker after running a hour or so in mid afternoon ( unit gets full sun).

Question: would installing a fine water mist sprayer behind the evaporator coil easy the load on the compressor thus allowing it to continue to cool?
For the few weeks I have this problem it is not worth the cost of wiring and installing a larger unit.
Thanks for any thoughts

Bob Nogueira

Bob Nogueira 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 23:28:52 -0400

--===============5307768409322373113==
	boundary="=====================_55427560==.ALT"

--=====================_55427560==.ALT

At 07:07 PM 8/8/2016, Robert nogueira wrote:

 >I've got a window mounted A/C in my garage. It generally does a pretty good
 >job of cooling it down but now that the daily high is over 100 (f) 
it is having a
 >problem and is tripping the breaker after running a hour or so in 
mid afternoon (
 >unit gets full sun).
 >
 >Question: would installing a fine water mist sprayer behind the 
evaporator coil
 >easy the load on the compressor thus allowing it to continue to cool?

Bob,

Yes, a water spray would help but pulling some of the added sun heat 
load off by
allowing the water to evaporate.  So anything from one of the garden hoses with
holes in it, to a spray nozzle on a stick would help.

Let us know how it works out.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--=====================_55427560==.ALT

<html>
<body>
<font size=3>At 07:07 PM 8/8/2016, Robert nogueira wrote:<br><br>
&gt;I've got a window mounted A/C in my garage. It generally does a
pretty good<br>
&gt;job of cooling it down but now that the daily high is over 100 (f) it
is having a <br>
&gt;problem and is tripping the breaker after running a hour or so in mid
afternoon ( <br>
&gt;unit gets full sun).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Question: would installing a fine water mist sprayer behind the
evaporator coil <br>
&gt;easy the load on the compressor thus allowing it to continue to
cool?<br><br>
Bob,<br><br>
Yes, a water spray would help but pulling some of the added sun heat load
off by<br>
allowing the water to evaporate.&nbsp; So anything from one of the garden
hoses with<br>
holes in it, to a spray nozzle on a stick would help.<br><br>
Let us know how it works out.<br><br>
John<br><br>
</font>
<br /><br />
<hr style='border:none; color:#909090; background-color:#B0B0B0; height: 1px; width: 99%;' />
<table style='border-collapse:collapse;border:none;'>
	<tr>
		<td style='border:none;padding:0px 15px 0px 8px'>
			<a href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">
				<img border=0 src="http://static.avast.com/emails/avast-mail-stamp.png" alt="Avast logo" />
			</a>
		</td>
		<td>
			<p style='color:#3d4d5a; font-family:"Calibri","Verdana","Arial","Helvetica"; font-size:12pt;'>
				This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
				<br><a href="https://www.avast.com/antivirus">www.avast.com</a>
			</p>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table>
<br />
</body>
<br>
<div>John T. Blair&nbsp; WA4OHZ&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email:&nbsp;
[email-masked]</div>
<div>Va. Beach,
Va&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Phone:&nbsp; (757) 495-8229</div>
<br>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48
TR1800&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48 #4 Midget&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 65 Morgan 4/4
Series V (B1106)</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
77 Spitfire&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 71 Saab Sonett III</div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
65 Rambler Classic</div>
<br>
<div>Morgan:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.team.net/www/morgan" EUDORA=AUTOURL>
www.team.net/www/morgan</a></div>
<div>Bricklin:&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.bricklin.org/" EUDORA=AUTOURL>www.bricklin.org</a>
</div>
<br>
<div>If you can read
this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
- Thank a teacher!</div>
<div>If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!</div>
<br>
<div> From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e pluribus Unum, &quot;from many,
one.&quot;</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In God We Trust</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Liberty - the&nbsp; power&nbsp; of&nbsp;
choosing,&nbsp; thinking,&nbsp; and&nbsp; acting&nbsp; for&nbsp; </div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
oneself; freedom&nbsp; from&nbsp; control&nbsp; or&nbsp;
restriction&nbsp; </div>
<br>
<br>
</html>

--=====================_55427560==.ALT--

--===============5307768409322373113==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5307768409322373113==--

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 13:10:47 GMT

--===============2379717642656778702==

----__JWM__J7136e056.8714d88S.5db7c710M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

I have an older heat and cool unit that is designed to take the condensa=
te and splash it on the hot coils to improve heat transfer.I was recentl=
y down in Dallas and a local restaurant had a special zone of their irri=
gation system dedicated to soaking the outside units of their HVAC syste=
m.  I asked the manager and he said it was the only way their system cou=
ld handle the 100+ degree days.  Matt

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Robert nogueira <[email-masked]>
To: Shop-talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Cooling down an air conditioner
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 18:07:41 -0500

I've got a window mounted A/C in my garage. It generally does a pretty g=
ood job of cooling it down but now that the daily high is over 100 (f) i=
t is having a problem and is tripping the breaker after running a hour o=
r so in mid afternoon ( unit gets full sun).

Question: would installing a fine water mist sprayer behind the evaporat=
or coil easy the load on the compressor thus allowing it to continue to =
cool?
For the few weeks I have this problem it is not worth the cost of wiring=
 and installing a larger unit.
Thanks for any thoughts

Bob Nogueira

Bob Nogueira =

[email-masked]
[email-masked]

----__JWM__J7136e056.8714d88S.5db7c710M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>I have an older heat and cool unit that is designed to take t=
he condensate and splash it on the hot coils to improve heat transfer.</=
div>
<div>I was recently down in Dallas and a local restaurant had a special&=
nbsp;zone&nbsp;of their irrigation system dedicated to soaking the outsi=
de units of their HVAC system. &nbsp;I asked the manager and he said it =
was the only way their system could handle the 100+ degree days.&nbsp;</=
div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Matt<br><br>---------- Original Message ----------<br>From: Robert =
nogueira &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: Shop-talk &lt;shop-talk@autox.=
team.net&gt;<br>Subject: [Shop-talk] Cooling down an air conditioner<br>=
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 18:07:41 -0500<br><br>I've got a window mounted A=
/C in my garage. It generally does a pretty good job of cooling it down =
but now that the daily high is over 100 (f) it is having a problem and i=
s tripping the breaker after running a hour or so in mid afternoon ( uni=
t gets full sun).<br><br>Question: would installing a fine water mist sp=
rayer behind the evaporator coil easy the load on the compressor thus al=
lowing it to continue to cool?<br>For the few weeks I have this problem =
it is not worth the cost of wiring and installing a larger unit.<br>Than=
ks for any thoughts<br><br>Bob Nogueira<br><br><br>Bob Nogueira <br>____=
___________________________________________<br><br>[email-masked].=
net<br>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Suggested annual donat=
ion &nbsp;$12.96<br>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>Forums: http=
://www.team.net/forums<br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mail=
man/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</p></html>

----__JWM__J7136e056.8714d88S.5db7c710M--

--===============2379717642656778702==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============2379717642656778702==--

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 12:30:26 -0400

On 8/9/2016 9:10 AM, Matt wrote:
> I have an older heat and cool unit that is designed to take the 
> condensate and splash it on the hot coils to improve heat transfer.
You could place a large container under the unit to catch the condensate 
and a small sump pump (like for a fountain) to wet the hot coils.  No 
need to mist just let the water run over the coils and collect back in 
the container.  This would avoid the scaling issue.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]