Subject: [Shop-talk] Honda car question

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 11:02:12 -0400

Shop content: a neighbor came into my shop (garage) and asked me a 
question about his 2004 Honda Accord with about 87,000 mi on it.

When he accelerates above 50 MPH the car vibrates.  He took me for a 
test ride, and it is very previlant.  You feel it through the entire car.

As soon as he quits accelerating the ride smooths out.  As long as he is hold
a constant speed everything if fine.  But if he trys to accelerate 
the vibration starts back up.

The check engine light is **not** on.  The only light that is on is the maint.
required light.

I don't think the problem has anything to do with the plugs, wires, 
injectors, or fuel pump as any of those items should throw a code.

I thought about a wheel ballance problem, but the problem should not go
away when holding a steady speed.  He's also had the tires ballanced to
try and correct the problem to no avail.

My diagnostic skill are starting to dwain, I think.  So I thought I'd come to
the well of knowledge and see if anyone had any idea of where to look or
what to look for.

TIA

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 11:19:39 -0400 07/02/2016 11:19:42, Serialize complete at 07/02/2016 11:19:42

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============5080986653164774862==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 00574E8F85257FE4_=

OK, let me start by saying, I do NOT know what is causing this.

But that never stopped me from giving an opinion!  8>)

First, I would think of a motor/tranny mount.  They are a pain to check 
for since I have seen them 'look' fine when the engine isn't under load.

Next, balancing the tires was a good idea, but a quick check is to rotate 
them.  (Fronts to rear, crossing sides.)  Then a quick ride.  Here is my 
thinking on this...

When the car is accelerating, weight is lifted off the front tires.  It is 
possible that a misbalanced wheel could be exacerbated under these 
conditions.

Next is the front wheel alinement.  Same thinking as above, but rotating 
tires will not identify this as a problem.  Check the tires for any uneven 
wear.

Can you read the codes from the OBDCII?  Do you have a lift?  These are 
the next two things I would dig into if I couldn't get anywhere with the 
above steps.

Make sure you post the answer once it's found, I know I want to know what 
it turns out to be.

If you are near NJ, the Garage M'hal is always open for business for 
stoptalkers (and their friends.)

This weekend's project here is getting the new compressor wired and 
installed.  (Not a small feat.) So I'm here all weekend.

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
--=_alternative 00574E8F85257FE4_=

<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">OK, let me start by saying, I do NOT
know what is causing this.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">But that never stopped me from giving
an opinion! &nbsp;8&gt;)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">First, I would think of a motor/tranny
mount. &nbsp;They are a pain to check for since I have seen them 'look'
fine when the engine isn't under load.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Next, balancing the tires was a good
idea, but a quick check is to rotate them. &nbsp;(Fronts to rear, crossing
sides.) &nbsp;Then a quick ride. &nbsp;Here is my thinking on this...</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">When the car is accelerating, weight
is lifted off the front tires. &nbsp;It is possible that a misbalanced
wheel could be exacerbated under these conditions.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Next is the front wheel alinement. &nbsp;Same
thinking as above, but rotating tires will not identify this as a problem.
&nbsp;Check the tires for any uneven wear.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Can you read the codes from the OBDCII?
&nbsp;Do you have a lift? &nbsp;These are the next two things I would dig
into if I couldn't get anywhere with the above steps.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Make sure you post the answer once it's
found, I know I want to know what it turns out to be.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">If you are near NJ, the Garage M'hal
is always open for business for stoptalkers (and their friends.)</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
This weekend's project here is getting the new compressor wired and installed.
&nbsp;(Not a small feat.) So I'm here all weekend.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Eric P<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>
--=_alternative 00574E8F85257FE4_=--

--===============5080986653164774862==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5080986653164774862==--

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 12:15:23 -0500

--===============5010314078333207834==
 boundary=Apple-Mail-2798E315-927C-481A-8931-787A4EC4B74B
Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-2798E315-927C-481A-8931-787A4EC4B74B
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

An easy way to check the mounts is to put cat in drive & with t
The emergency brake & foot brakes on floor it to see if the engine moves too=
 much. Try the same thing in reverse.=20

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne=20
We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity

On Jul 2, 2016, at 10:19 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

OK, let me start by saying, I do NOT know what is causing this.=20

But that never stopped me from giving an opinion!  8>)=20

First, I would think of a motor/tranny mount.  They are a pain to check for s=
ince I have seen them 'look' fine when the engine isn't under load.=20

Next, balancing the tires was a good idea, but a quick check is to rotate th=
em.  (Fronts to rear, crossing sides.)  Then a quick ride.  Here is my think=
ing on this...=20

When the car is accelerating, weight is lifted off the front tires.  It is p=
ossible that a misbalanced wheel could be exacerbated under these conditions=
.=20

Next is the front wheel alinement.  Same thinking as above, but rotating tir=
es will not identify this as a problem.  Check the tires for any uneven wear=
.=20

Can you read the codes from the OBDCII?  Do you have a lift?  These are the n=
ext two things I would dig into if I couldn't get anywhere with the above st=
eps.=20

Make sure you post the answer once it's found, I know I want to know what it=
 turns out to be.=20

If you are near NJ, the Garage M'hal is always open for business for stoptal=
kers (and their friends.)=20

This weekend's project here is getting the new compressor wired and installe=
d.  (Not a small feat.) So I'm here all weekend.=20

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational be=
ing are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo E=
merson
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail-2798E315-927C-481A-8931-787A4EC4B74B
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div>An easy way to check the mounts is to put cat in drive &amp; with t</div><div id="AppleMailSignature">The emergency brake &amp; foot brakes on floor it to see if the engine moves too much. Try the same thing in reverse.&nbsp;</div><div id="AppleMailSignature"><br></div><div id="AppleMailSignature">Peace,</div><div id="AppleMailSignature">Pat<br><br>Pat Horne&nbsp;<div>We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity</div><div><br></div></div><div><br>On Jul 2, 2016, at 10:19 AM, <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> wrote:<br><br></div><div>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">OK, let me start by saying, I do NOT
know what is causing this.</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">But that never stopped me from giving
an opinion! &nbsp;8&gt;)</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">First, I would think of a motor/tranny
mount. &nbsp;They are a pain to check for since I have seen them 'look'
fine when the engine isn't under load.</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Next, balancing the tires was a good
idea, but a quick check is to rotate them. &nbsp;(Fronts to rear, crossing
sides.) &nbsp;Then a quick ride. &nbsp;Here is my thinking on this...</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">When the car is accelerating, weight
is lifted off the front tires. &nbsp;It is possible that a misbalanced
wheel could be exacerbated under these conditions.</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Next is the front wheel alinement. &nbsp;Same
thinking as above, but rotating tires will not identify this as a problem.
&nbsp;Check the tires for any uneven wear.</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Can you read the codes from the OBDCII?
&nbsp;Do you have a lift? &nbsp;These are the next two things I would dig
into if I couldn't get anywhere with the above steps.</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Make sure you post the answer once it's
found, I know I want to know what it turns out to be.</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">If you are near NJ, the Garage M'hal
is always open for business for stoptalkers (and their friends.)</font>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif"><br>
This weekend's project here is getting the new compressor wired and installed.
&nbsp;(Not a small feat.) So I'm here all weekend.</font>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif"><br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Eric P<br>
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font></div><div><span>_______________________________________________</span><br><span></span><br><span><a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a></span><br><span>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></span><br><span>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96</span><br><span>Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a></span><br><span>Forums: <a href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a></span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a></span><br><span></span><br></div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail-2798E315-927C-481A-8931-787A4EC4B74B--

--===============5010314078333207834==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5010314078333207834==--