Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Router question

From: Neil Sherry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 09:35:03 +0100

--===============1972915109966196659==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

------NROTQJYJUEANSX24X435YKTXHCJWG6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
 charset=UTF-8

5USD a month is a rip-off - in this day and age wireless should be standard - here in the uk it has been for 10 years. 
Some routers can be used just as access points - assuming the old router has LAN ports, disable DHCP on the old wireless router, assign an IP address to it that is consistent with the numbering of new router (and does not conflict) and just connect one of the LAN ports of the old router to one on the new router. Worst case, if that doesn't work, just buy a separate wireless router/access point

On 19 July 2016 00:00:32 BST, Jim Juhas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>This is shop related because I'm looking to provide connectivity to my
>new barn.  Presently I have a DSL modem supplied by a slow DSL line,
>but the modem includes WiFi.  The location is relatively remote but
>better speeds are available from the local cable provider
>(Charter/Spectrum).  The cable provider indicates WiFi capability is
>available for an additional $5/month, which seems high to me.  What
>issues do I have by simply adding (or substituting?) my own
>WiFi-capable modem?
>Sent from my iPhone
>_______________________________________________
>
>[email-masked]
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
------NROTQJYJUEANSX24X435YKTXHCJWG6
 charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html><head></head><body>5USD a month is a rip-off - in this day and age wireless should be standard - here in the uk it has been for 10 years. <br>
Some routers can be used just as access points - assuming the old router has LAN ports, disable DHCP on the old wireless router, assign an IP address to it that is consistent with the numbering of new router (and does not conflict) and just connect one of the LAN ports of the old router to one on the new router. Worst case, if that doesn&#39;t work, just buy a separate wireless router/access point<br><br><div class="gmail_quote">On 19 July 2016 00:00:32 BST, Jim Juhas &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
<pre class="k9mail">This is shop related because I'm looking to provide connectivity to my new barn.  Presently I have a DSL modem supplied by a slow DSL line, but the modem includes WiFi.  The location is relatively remote but better speeds are available from the local cable provider (Charter/Spectrum).  The cable provider indicates WiFi capability is available for an additional $5/month, which seems high to me.  What issues do I have by simply adding (or substituting?) my own WiFi-capable modem?<br />Sent from my iPhone<br /><hr /><br /><br />[email-masked]<br />Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br />Suggested annual donation  $12.96<br />Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br />Forums: <a href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br />Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a><br /><br /></pre></blockquote></div><br>
-- <br>
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.</body></html>
------NROTQJYJUEANSX24X435YKTXHCJWG6--

--===============1972915109966196659==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============1972915109966196659==--

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 07:32:40 -0400

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Jim Juhas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> What issues do I have by simply adding (or substituting?) my own WiFi-capable modem?

I have Charter as my ISP, and have used my own separate cable modem
and wireless router for years.  I've saved enough money to have paid
for them several times over... especially since my wireless was a
refurbished unit for $20.  (Modem was also refurbished, and around $60
when a new version was over $100.)

Just make sure your modem is DOCSIS compliant and you should be fine.
 It likely will be, but you can call Charter to make sure the
particular one you are thinking of using will be compatible.  I
believe DOCSIS 3.1 is the current standard, but mine is 3.0 and still
works well enough (and fast enough) for me.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 13:05:40 +0000

--===============4447045907447290037==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_DM3PR13MB05382A45E9F1E017CC645F5EB4370DM3PR13MB0538namp_"

--_000_DM3PR13MB05382A45E9F1E017CC645F5EB4370DM3PR13MB0538namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

If and when you provide your own modem/charter for use with your charter IS=
P, be damn certain to keep track of your proof of all of this, included any=
 and all conversations/correspondence with charter and your receipt(s) if y=
ou buy your own equipment.

I had been using my own router/modem for years when all of a sudden charter=
 sends me a bill for X amount of money for modem/router rental over the pas=
t X number of months/years. Needless to say I was irate. I did get it sorte=
d out but it took several phone calls and a lot of time. I'd switch ISPs bu=
t have no other options except through my satellite and that is not a viabl=
e option for us. I don't even have phone lines in my house any more...not t=
hat I'd want to go backwards to DSL.

I hope no one else has to go through this.

tim

________________________________
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> on behalf of Jeff Scarbr=
ough <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:32 AM
To: Jim Juhas
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Router question

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Jim Juhas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> What issues do I have by simply adding (or substituting?) my own WiFi-cap=
able modem?

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

--_000_DM3PR13MB05382A45E9F1E017CC645F5EB4370DM3PR13MB0538namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"><!-- P {margin-top:0;margi=
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size:12pt;color:#000000;back=
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
<p>If and when you provide your own modem/charter for use with your charter=
 ISP, be damn certain to keep track of your proof of all of this, included =
any and all conversations/correspondence with charter and your receipt(s) i=
f you buy your own equipment.&nbsp;</p>
<p><br>
</p>
<p>I had been using my own router/modem for years when all of a sudden char=
ter sends me a bill for X amount of money for modem/router rental over the =
past X number of months/years. Needless to say I was irate. I did get it so=
rted out but it took several phone
 calls and a lot of time. I'd switch ISPs but have no other options except =
through my satellite and that is not a viable option for us. I don't even h=
ave phone lines in my house any more...not that I'd want to go backwards to=
 DSL.&nbsp;</p>
<p><br>
</p>
<p>I hope no one else has to go through this.&nbsp;</p>
tim<br>
<br>
<div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<div>
<hr tabindex=3D"-1" style=3D"display:inline-block; width:98%">
<div id=3D"x_divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif" =
color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font-size:11pt"><b>From:</b> Shop-talk &lt;shop-=
[email-masked]&gt; on behalf of Jeff Scarbrough &lt;fishplate@=
gmail.com&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:32 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> Jim Juhas<br>
<b>Cc:</b> [email-masked]<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Shop-talk] Router question</font>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
</div>
<font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"font-size:10pt;">
<div class=3D"PlainText">On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Jim Juhas &lt;jam=
[email-masked]&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; What issues do I have by simply adding (or substituting?) my own WiFi-=
capable modem?<br>
<br>
I have Charter as my ISP, and have used my own separate cable modem<br>
and wireless router for years.&nbsp; I've saved enough money to have paid<b=
r>
for them several times over... especially since my wireless was a<br>
refurbished unit for $20.&nbsp; (Modem was also refurbished, and around $60=
<br>
when a new version was over $100.)<br>
<br>
Just make sure your modem is DOCSIS compliant and you should be fine.<br>
&nbsp;It likely will be, but you can call Charter to make sure the<br>
particular one you are thinking of using will be compatible.&nbsp; I<br>
believe DOCSIS 3.1 is the current standard, but mine is 3.0 and still<br>
works well enough (and fast enough) for me.<br>
<br>
Jeff Scarbrough<br>
Corrosion Acres, Ga.<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
<br>
<br>
</div>
</span></font></div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_DM3PR13MB05382A45E9F1E017CC645F5EB4370DM3PR13MB0538namp_--

--===============4447045907447290037==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4447045907447290037==--

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 08:08:49 -0500

> On Jul 18, 2016, at 18:00, Jim Juhas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> This is shop related because I'm looking to provide connectivity to my new barn.  Presently I have a DSL modem supplied by a slow DSL line, but the modem includes WiFi.  The location is relatively remote but better speeds are available from the local cable provider (Charter/Spectrum).  The cable provider indicates WiFi capability is available for an additional $5/month, which seems high to me.  What issues do I have by simply adding (or substituting?) my own WiFi-capable modem?
> Sent from my iPhone
> _

Get seperate devices for wifi and cable modem. Consumer grade wifi devices are garbage, and fail frequently. Having them separate makes it easier to replace them, or upgrade rhem. 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tony Vaccaro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 10:33:48 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============3777237109680921759==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0007_01D1E1A9.09347350"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D1E1A9.09347350
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Look at the Ubiquiti Networks line of products. Great stuff. It is pretty
much all we use now in our business. We are in the computer services
business.

Great range. Lots of sight to sight stuff.

Good products.

Tony Vaccaro

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D1E1A9.09347350
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><META =
HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#0563C1;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#954F72;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
	{mso-style-name:msonormal;
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#0563C1" vlink=3D"#954F72"><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Look at the =
</span><b><span lang=3DEN =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#666666'>U=
biquiti Networks line of products. Great stuff. It is pretty much all we =
use now in our business. We are in the computer services =
business.<o:p></o:p></span></b></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
lang=3DEN =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#666666'><=
o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></b></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#666666'>G=
reat range. Lots of sight to sight stuff.<o:p></o:p></span></b></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#666666'><=
o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></b></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#666666'>G=
ood products.<o:p></o:p></span></b></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
lang=3DEN =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#666666'><=
o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></b></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#666666'>T=
ony Vaccaro</span></b><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p></o:p></sp=
an></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D1E1A9.09347350--

--===============3777237109680921759==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3777237109680921759==--

---

From: "John P. New" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 14:11:48 -0400

I second the positive feedback for Ubiquiti Networks products.

I have deployed 3 Ubiquiti WiFi access points in my house/shop and they work well. I have two hard-wired in the house; the 3rd is in the shop (about 100 feet from the house), connected wirelessly to one of the hard-wired units in the house, so there was no need to run a wire from the main house to the shop to get WiFi out there. And the best part is that they are POI (Power over Ethernet) so you only have to run an ethernet cable from your home router/switch to each unit (or to an electrical outlet if connected wirelessly); a POI adapter comes with every access point. The ones I use are the Long Range version here: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

I got mine from http://www.bhphotovideo.com (NFI) for US$99.00 each (shipping included to Canada!) which is the best price I could find.

The software that ties everything together is a free download from Ubiquiti's site. From the dashboard you setup the whole network and can monitor all the client connections and device status. The only downside is that to get the most out of an Ubiquiti setup you should have a server that runs 24/7 that will gather stats and run guest portals, etc. A great write up on the system and software can be found here http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/review-ubiquiti-unifi-made-me-realize-how-terrible-consumer-wi-fi-gear-is/

I also understand they have come out with a version directed at home users. See http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/ubiquiti-aims-squarely-at-home-networking-with-new-amplifi-802-11ac-gear/ and https://www.amplifi.com/ . The B&H Photo site mentioned above has the system available for purchase.

John P. New
London, Ontario, Canada

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Juhas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 18:20:31 -0400

Thank you to all that responded regarding my router question.  My 
solution was to use the cable company's non-wifi modem and my own simple 
Netgear router.  I now know the more sophisticated solutions should my 
requirements change, but so far, so good.
_______________________________________________
[email-masked] Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]