Subject: [Shop-talk] Sometimes it's better to be lucky.

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 19:36:56 -0700

I was mowing my neighbor's pasture with my NH TC30 and brush hog the 
other weekend when my hydraulics went away.  I figured I had a leak 
somewhere and took the tractor home and parked it and checked the 
hydraulic fluid, and yep, it was off the bottom of the dipstick.  I 
didn't see an obvious leak, and had stuff to do the last few weekends so 
today I finally got to it.  I added a couple of gallons of Quicklift 
(which was way too much, but at least I knew I had enough) and cycled 
the loader and 3 point a couple of times.  The hydraulic pump was very 
noisy and the loader and 3 point went up very slowly and jerky.  Great, 
I've probably wiped out the hydraulic pump.

I went on line and found that a new hydraulic pump retails for $550 from 
New Holland, although imagine I could probably find one cheaper with a 
little digging.  I then surfed through a couple of tractor forums and 
found one or two people with the same problem; they said there's a 
rubber coupling on the pump suction line (probably for vibration 
isolation) that can get knocked off and cause the problem.  I climbed 
under the tractor and found the coupling/hose and sure enough the 
coupling was pushed back and kinked and the hydraulic pump wasn't 
getting good suction.  I put the coupling back in place and re-tightened 
the hose clamps, and everything works fine.  Then I drained about a 
gallon or so of Quicklift out of the sump and got the level back where 
it needed to be.

I remember while mowing one section of the field I was turning around at 
the end of a row and got the tractor stuck.  Turns out it was high 
centered on a log round that the neighbor's idiot son had probably 
dragged out into the pasture for who knows what.  That's probably what 
knocked the coupling loose.

  I guess I'll have to finish mowing the pasture this weekend.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 06:43:24 -0400 06/23/2016 06:43:26, Serialize complete at 06/23/2016 06:43:26

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============5292935544557542230==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 003DF2CB85257FDB_=

Dave's talks about tractor hydros...

Thanks for sharing with us.  It's always nice to find and easy fix.

With that, there may be an easy fix for my problem.  I bought a rock rake 
for the front of my tractor (45HP Sub compact).  It works great, too 
great, as it really motivated me to clear some heavily overgrown areas. 
This rake just rips up everything and is perfect for the task.

The problem is, that now my front loader seems to go up and down slower. 
Note, the rock rake mounts to the loader like a bucket, so when it's 
pushing, all the load is on the front loader (as would be if I were 
digging with it.)

Everything works fine otherwise and there are no leaks.  It's just that 
the loader goes up and down slower.  I was thinking I bend a ram or 
piston.  Any ideas?

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 

--=_alternative 003DF2CB85257FDB_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Dave's talks about tractor hydros...</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Thanks for sharing with us. &nbsp;It's
always nice to find and easy fix.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">With that, there may be an easy fix
for my problem. &nbsp;I bought a rock rake for the front of my tractor
(45HP Sub compact). &nbsp;It works great, too great, as it really motivated
me to clear some heavily overgrown areas. &nbsp;This rake just rips up
everything and is perfect for the task.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">The problem is, that now my front loader
seems to go up and down slower. &nbsp;Note, the rock rake mounts to the
loader like a bucket, so when it's pushing, all the load is on the front
loader (as would be if I were digging with it.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Everything works fine otherwise and
there are no leaks. &nbsp;It's just that the loader goes up and down slower.
&nbsp;I was thinking I bend a ram or piston. &nbsp;Any ideas?</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
<br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Eric P<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>
<br>
--=_alternative 003DF2CB85257FDB_=--

--===============5292935544557542230==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============5292935544557542230==--