Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Fixing LCD TVs

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2016 23:21:32 -0500

Jim,

It may (probably) blown. I'v seen cracks like this on older sets that are working fine. I'd replace it though, shouldn't be expensive. 

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne 
We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity

On May 1, 2016, at 4:42 PM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:

According to shopjimmy.com (parts purveyor) this isn't too hard. I have a "free" LCD that the picture suddenly went out on while in use. Reportedly still had sound, but since the sound input source is menu driven, and I can't see the menu, I have not yet been able to have it spit out sound.

The above webpage says if you can see the menu display in a dark room with a flashlight pointed at the screen, the problem is the inverter board. I replaced it for $40 and...no change. So now I'm thinking it's the power supply to that board.

The low voltage cabe tests fine. There's a high voltage line with no specs so I can't test it. But there's a capacitor right next to the transformers that looks like this:

http://groupwbench.org/InsigniaCap.JPG

Is that blown, or just poorly covered?

The power supply is out of stock, probably permanently. 

jim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 12:41:41 -0400

Definitely a blown cap which is pretty common with bargain TV's.  I'm 
assuming it is a BestBuy Insignia TV.  You could replace the cap but I'd 
bet it would blow again. These low end TV's to just enough engineering 
to make them work, use the lowest cost parts, and they don't have long 
life spans.

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 20:51:36 -0400

--===============9147197795288296297==

--Apple-Mail=_B1646A88-B01B-4628-BA08-3E71148C8228
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

Thanks all. I replaced the cap and it works. I don't watch enough TV to =
care much, or to drop $800 on a good one.=20

I was wondering where insignia came from, hadn't heard of them before.

jim

On May 2, 2016, at 12:41 PM, Peter J. Thomas <[email-masked]> =
wrote:

> Definitely a blown cap which is pretty common with bargain TV's.  I'm =
assuming it is a BestBuy Insignia TV.  You could replace the cap but I'd =
bet it would blow again. These low end TV's to just enough engineering =
to make them work, use the lowest cost parts, and they don't have long =
life spans.

--Apple-Mail=_B1646A88-B01B-4628-BA08-3E71148C8228
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">Thanks =
all. I replaced the cap and it works. I don't watch enough TV to care =
much, or to drop $800 on a good one.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>I was =
wondering where insignia came from, hadn't heard of them =
before.</div><div><br></div><div>jim</div><div><br><div><div>On May 2, =
2016, at 12:41 PM, Peter J. Thomas &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;">Definitely a blown cap which is =
pretty common with bargain TV's. &nbsp;I'm assuming it is a BestBuy =
Insignia TV. &nbsp;You could replace the cap but I'd bet it would blow =
again. These low end TV's to just enough engineering to make them work, =
use the lowest cost parts, and they don't have long life =
spans.</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;"></blockquote></div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_B1646A88-B01B-4628-BA08-3E71148C8228--

--===============9147197795288296297==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============9147197795288296297==--