Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tool review: HF rotary hammer

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 23:12:15 -0700

I have an older version of one of their SDS rotary hammers (like the 
current $90 ones) and second the recommendation for this type of tool.  
I have the flat chisel set (#42651) and used it several times on 
bathroom demo.  The narrow chisel was great for breaking off wall tile.  
The wider chisel was great at removing glued down vinyl floor.  I peeled 
up nice strips with very little effort.  I also used it to break the 
cement and lath free of the wall studs when my arms were too tired to 
keep banging the pry bar with the small sledge hammer.

Need to drill a 1" hole through a 8" poured concrete wall?  This works 
for that too.

The only place where I needed more was breaking a floor slab to replace 
failed drain pipes.  This tool wasn't up to that task, so I upgraded to 
a 35lb breaker hammer and it went right through the floor.

For your own safety, don't forget eye and ear protection.  When working 
indoors, I also add a box fan hanging the window to exhaust the dust and 
wear a respirator.  It isn't good to taste the air.

Brian

On 4/30/2016 10:17 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
> Hi.  Just wanted to post a positive review for a tool I got yesterday 
> at HF.  I needed to peel up a couple of hundred feet of 12" ceramic 
> tiles glued down to a concrete slab prior to putting in some 
> engineered bamboo flooring.  Took a few whacks with a sledge then 
> bought a HF 1 9/16" sds max rotary hammer (#69334). Went on sale this 
> week for $100, set of bits for just under half that.  I got it the day 
> before the sale info came out but with 20% off it was $103.  Close 
> enough to not go whine for the difference.
>
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/1-916-in-85-amp-heavy-duty-sds-max-type-variable-speed-rotary-hammer-69334.html 
>
>
> What a great decision.  Tile chips and dust everywhere and all tile up 
> with just a few hours of work.
>
>

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2016 21:09:07 -0700

On 4/30/2016 10:17 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
> Hi.  Just wanted to post a positive review for a tool I got yesterday at
> HF.

I have the older version of this as well.  Clunkier than the Hiltis and 
etc. you can rent from Home Depot, the controls are clunkier and it 
doesn't FEEL as good.

But...you can OWN it for the price of a day or two RENTAL on one of those.

It blows anchor holes in concrete just about as well.  It chisels, it 
drills, it does all the things the expensive ones do.  It might not last 
as long in daily contractor use, but if you use it twice a month or so 
like I do, it seems like it'll last a very long time.

I just used it this afternoon to break up a sack of concrete I'd left 
out in the rain into two weeks of garbage-can-sized chunks.  I wouldn't 
have spent $30 to rent something to do that.  I have three more such 
sacks to break up in subsequent weeks.

John.

[email-masked]