Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery powered lawn mowers

From: Bill Rabel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 17:11:44 -0700

--===============2469526111968959511==
	boundary=Apple-Mail-5106E399-B0D3-47CB-BC92-E3FC71D92912
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-5106E399-B0D3-47CB-BC92-E3FC71D92912
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have two E-Go tools, a hedge trimmer and a weed whacker. They run longer t=
han I do. I'm impressed with the tools. Worst case would be to buy an extra b=
attery, although they recharge really quickly. Just enough time to throw dow=
n a beer.=20

- Bill Rabel
  Anacortes=20

Sent from my iPhone (please ignore the inanities created by auto-correct).=20=

> On May 23, 2016, at 3:55 PM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> I'm tired of borrowing a friend's rider mower, and I can use some exercise=
. I see there are quite a few Lithium battery mowers. Any experiences with t=
hem? I like the Ego, wondering if the larger battery is worth the extra $200=
.=20
>=20
> I have about 1/2 acre to mow.=20
>=20
> thanks,
> jim
> _______________________________________________
>=20
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/brabel=
@comcast.net

Sent from my iPhone (please ignore the inanities created by auto-correct).=20=

--Apple-Mail-5106E399-B0D3-47CB-BC92-E3FC71D92912
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto"><div><div id=3D"AppleMailSignature"><span s=
tyle=3D"background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">I have two E-Go tools, a h=
edge trimmer and a weed whacker. They run longer than I do. I'm impressed wi=
th the tools. Worst case would be to buy an extra battery, although they rec=
harge really quickly. Just enough time to throw down a beer.&nbsp;</span></d=
iv><div id=3D"AppleMailSignature"><span style=3D"background-color: rgba(255,=
 255, 255, 0);"><br></span></div><div id=3D"AppleMailSignature"><span style=3D=
"background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">- Bill Rabel</span></div><div id=
=3D"AppleMailSignature"><span style=3D"background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255,=
 0);">&nbsp; Anacortes&nbsp;<br><br>Sent from my iPhone (please ignore the i=
nanities created by auto-correct).&nbsp;</span></div><div><span style=3D"bac=
kground-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"><br></span><font color=3D"#000000"><=
span style=3D"background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">On May 23, 2016, at=
 3:55 PM, Jim Franklin &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">jamesf@=
groupwbench.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br><br></span></font></div><blockquote type=3D=
"cite"><font color=3D"#000000"><span style=3D"background-color: rgba(255, 25=
5, 255, 0);">I'm tired of borrowing a friend's rider mower, and I can use so=
me exercise. I see there are quite a few Lithium battery mowers. Any experie=
nces with them? I like the Ego, wondering if the larger battery is worth the=
 extra $200.&nbsp;<br><br>I have about 1/2 acre to mow.&nbsp;<br><br>thanks,=
<br>jim<br>_______________________________________________<br><br><a href=3D=
"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br>Donate: <a=
 href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a=
><br>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96<br>Archive: <a href=3D"http://ww=
w.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Forums: <a href=3D"ht=
tp://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>Unsubscribe/Mana=
ge: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/brabel@comcas=
t.net">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a=
></span></font><br></blockquote><br><span style=3D"background-color: rgba(25=
5, 255, 255, 0);">Sent from my iPhone (please ignore the inanities created b=
y auto-correct).&nbsp;</span></div><div><br></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-5106E399-B0D3-47CB-BC92-E3FC71D92912--

--===============2469526111968959511==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2469526111968959511==--

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 22:00:33 -0700

Jim - I have a Black and Decker 36V battery mower.  A little older and 
less powerful than what you are considering, but here is some feedback.  
This is the model:

http://www.amazon.com/CM1936-Cordless-Removable-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002YK4UZU/

I got it at a heavy discount at a lawn mower exchange when I traded in 
my old gas mower.  I've had the mower for about 5 years and it works for 
me, but my lawn area that gets mowed regularly is only about 20x15'.  If 
the grass is long, I have to mow it twice - once at the highest setting 
then again at a middle setting.  On the first pass, I can also only cut 
about a foot wide path or the mower stalls.  This mower doesn't have 
anywhere near the power of my previous $200 gas mower.

If the grass is the slightest bit damp, it clumps and won't bag. It is 
supposed to mulch, but that only works with a slight trim.

I have a second grass area that I mow every couple mowings.  This area 
is about 10x50.  It is also down 20 railroad tie steps.  The mower needs 
to be carried up the steps when done, so weight was important.  The 
model I have has a removable battery, so if I'm tired, I can bring the 
battery up to the house then the mower.  It is much easier to bring the 
lighter electric up the stairs.  I'm likely the only one on the list 
that carries a mower up stairs, but if you ever have to, the removable 
battery makes it easier.

My 36V battery starts to loose power at the end of the mowing cycle if I 
cut both areas twice.  I'd guess I can maybe get 30 minutes of mowing.  
There is no way the battery mower I have would every cut a 1/2 acre.

I do really like the convenience of not having the gas and the easy 
start of the electric.  I also like the quiet.

My previous house had bad grass and needed to be de-thatched every year 
or so.  No way that de-thathing blade would work on a battery mower.

With a 1/2 acre, I'd really recommend a riding mower.  Yes, you could do 
it with a gas push mower, but it will take 2-3 times longer.  If you 
went battery, even with the 56V battery, you are likely to need at least 
one charge or battery swap.  I'd say to save your time and go work on 
something in the shop.

My lot is .6 acres, but on a canyon and most of it is trimmed with a 
string trimmer.   I really like my semi-commercial Echo string trimmer 
for brush clearance and my commercial Sthil backpack leaf blower.  Gas 
and battery lawn equipment each have their place.  I think you will find 
that a battery mower won't cut it on a half acre.  If I move to a house 
with more lawn, it will be back to gas again for the mower.

Brian

On 5/23/2016 3:55 PM, Jim Franklin wrote:
> I'm tired of borrowing a friend's rider mower, and I can use some exercise. I see there are quite a few Lithium battery mowers. Any experiences with them? I like the Ego, wondering if the larger battery is worth the extra $200.
>
> I have about 1/2 acre to mow.
>
> thanks,
> jim

[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 10:27:29 -0400

With a half acre, I'd get a self propelled gas mower.  If it were a flat 
half acre level field maybe a law tractor or a ride on.  But if the lot 
is a half acre, once you subtract the house, driveway, planting beds, 
etc. you actual have a lot less.  If there are slopes a tractor can flip 
(ride ons are more stable).

The electric movers are good for small urban/suburban lots.  But once 
you get bigger the narrower cutting path of an electric becomes an 
issue.  I also think recharging is more work than filling the tank.  The 
other advantage of a gas mower is engines are easy to change and much 
cheaper than a new mower.  My mower is on it's forth engine.  With an 
electric mower the battery eventually needs to be replaced and may not 
be available, meaning a new mower.

Peter Thomas

On 5/24/2016 1:00 AM, Brian Kemp wrote:
> With a 1/2 acre, I'd really recommend a riding mower. Yes, you could 
> do it with a gas push mower, but it will take 2-3 times longer.  If 
> you went battery, even with the 56V battery, you are likely to need at 
> least one charge or battery swap.  I'd say to save your time and go 
> work on something in the shop.
>
> and battery lawn equipment each have their place.  I think you will 
> find that a battery mower won't cut it on a half acre.  If I move to a 
> house with more lawn, it will be back to gas again for the mower.
>
> Brian 

[email-masked]