Subject: [Shop-talk] Source of special plexiglass

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 18:51:20 -0400 04/24/2016 23:06:47, Serialize complete at 04/24/2016 23:06:47

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============3265422544555009146==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 00806CFD85257F9F_=

I have a soda machine that I'm about to put back in service after 
restoring it.  It will be out in the general public.

The last piece I need is a small (about 1" high by 5" wide) piece of 
plexiglass that is 'vandal proof' (or whatever term they use.)

This will cover the LED readout, so it needs to be semi-clear.  If you 
look at any modern vending machine, they all have them.  Most a tinted 
'blueish'

Then I need to glue it to the plastic frame (this is how the original one 
was done.

Two questions...

Where can plexiglass, and what type of glue (and source) do I use?

TIA

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
--=_alternative 00806CFD85257F9F_=

<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I have a soda machine that I'm about
to put back in service after restoring it. &nbsp;It will be out in the
general public.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">The last piece I need is a small (about
1&quot; high by 5&quot; wide) piece of plexiglass that is 'vandal proof'
(or whatever term they use.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">This will cover the LED readout, so
it needs to be semi-clear. &nbsp;If you look at any modern vending machine,
they all have them. &nbsp;Most a tinted 'blueish'</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Then I need to glue it to the plastic
frame (this is how the original one was done.</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Two questions...</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Where can plexiglass, and what type
of glue (and source) do I use?</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">TIA</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif"><br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Eric P<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>
--=_alternative 00806CFD85257F9F_=--

--===============3265422544555009146==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3265422544555009146==--

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 00:57:38 -0700

My _guess_ is that it's polycarbonate (aka Lexan) rather than Plexiglas (aka acrylic).  They are similar, but Plexiglas is more
brittle and easier to break.  Bare Lexan scratches easier, but they offer it with various hard coatings, eg 
http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#8707k129/=124rb2p

Haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that this stuff works well to glue many plastics:
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/13/7/epxy_plstc_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder.htm

-- Randall  

[email-masked]