Subject: [Shop-talk] Wooden deck restoration paints

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 16:36:25 -0400

Our house (eastern Long Island) has a 12’ x 30’ wooden deck on the back.  It came with the house so we don’t know its age, but it is far from new.  It will need to be replaced eventually, but we’d like to get at least a few more years out of it.  Plus, our 1 year old granddaughter will be walking and crawling on it this summer, so I’d like to do what I can to both preserve the wood and her feet and knees.  I planned on using one of the thick paint products made for this purpose, but most of the reviews on them are pretty lousy.  Rustoleum Restore is probably the worst according to Amazon, Home Depot and Lowe’s customers - possibly the worst I have ever seen for any product.  Other brands like Behr, Olympic and Anvil have generally better reviews, but many, many customers still complain about lifting and peeling within a year of installation.  I know how critical preparation is on a product like this, but virtually all complaints seem to include a statement about having followed the directions exactly.  Still, I’d rather hear that from someone I trust.  Does anyone here have any experience with one of these products? 

Thanks,

Jim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 02:23:31 GMT

--===============1705938514655604989==

----__JWM__J57b4f3f0.1e5ec0a6S.670a85c3M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

Jim, I haven't personally tried the wood coating products but a good fri=
end who has lots of experience and who I trust used it and was not the l=
east bit pleased after the task.  He said he had to do multiple coats an=
d the coverage wasn't even close to what was advertised. By the time he =
was done he could have almost bought new deck boards.  He said it was th=
e consistency of peanut butter and wished he had simply redecked.  This =
was several years ago, right as these types of products came out.  Just =
last week we were talking and he said that he had changed his view becau=
se the product was still holding up very nicely and that he thought that=
 they have refined their formulation to make application a little easier=
. I too am looking at getting a little more time out of a deck, I think =
I am going to try flipping the existing boards.  If the bottom surface i=
sn't better, I will simply redeck. Good luck and let us know how it turn=
s out. Matt  =

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
To: Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Wooden deck restoration paints
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 16:36:25 -0400

Our house (eastern Long Island) has a 12&rsquo; x 30&rsquo; wooden deck =
on the back.  It came with the house so we don&rsquo;t know its age, but=
 it is far from new.  It will need to be replaced eventually, but we&rsq=
uo;d like to get at least a few more years out of it.  Plus, our 1 year =
old granddaughter will be walking and crawling on it this summer, so I&r=
squo;d like to do what I can to both preserve the wood and her feet and =
knees.  I planned on using one of the thick paint products made for this=
 purpose, but most of the reviews on them are pretty lousy.  Rustoleum R=
estore is probably the worst according to Amazon, Home Depot and Lowe&rs=
quo;s customers - possibly the worst I have ever seen for any product.  =
Other brands like Behr, Olympic and Anvil have generally better reviews,=
 but many, many customers still complain about lifting and peeling withi=
n a year of installation.  I know how critical preparation is on a produ=
ct like this, but virtually all complaints seem to include a statement a=
bout having followed the directions exactly.  Still, I&rsquo;d rather he=
ar that from someone I trust.  Does anyone here have any experience with=
 one of these products? =

Thanks,

Jim

[email-masked]
[email-masked]

----__JWM__J57b4f3f0.1e5ec0a6S.670a85c3M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>Jim, I haven't personally tried the wood coating products but=
 a good friend who has lots of experience and who I trust used it and wa=
s not the least bit pleased after the task. &nbsp;He said he had to do m=
ultiple coats and the coverage wasn't even close to what was advertised.=
 By the time he was done he could have almost bought new deck boards. &n=
bsp;He said it was the consistency of peanut butter and wished he had si=
mply redecked. &nbsp;This was several years ago, right as these types of=
 products came out. &nbsp;Just last week we were talking and he said tha=
t he had changed his view because the product was still holding up very =
nicely and that he thought that they have refined their formulation to m=
ake application a little easier.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>I too am looking at getting a little more time out of a deck, I thi=
nk I am going to try flipping the existing boards. &nbsp;If the bottom s=
urface isn't better, I will simply redeck.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Good luck and let us know how it turns out.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Matt</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div><br><br>---------- Original Message ----------<br>From: Jim Stone &=
lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: Shop Talk &lt;[email-masked]=
t&gt;<br>Subject: [Shop-talk] Wooden deck restoration paints<br>Date: We=
d, 6 Apr 2016 16:36:25 -0400<br><br>Our house (eastern Long Island) has =
a 12&rsquo; x 30&rsquo; wooden deck on the back. &nbsp;It came with the =
house so we don&rsquo;t know its age, but it is far from new. &nbsp;It w=
ill need to be replaced eventually, but we&rsquo;d like to get at least =
a few more years out of it. &nbsp;Plus, our 1 year old granddaughter wil=
l be walking and crawling on it this summer, so I&rsquo;d like to do wha=
t I can to both preserve the wood and her feet and knees. &nbsp;I planne=
d on using one of the thick paint products made for this purpose, but mo=
st of the reviews on them are pretty lousy. &nbsp;Rustoleum Restore is p=
robably the worst according to Amazon, Home Depot and Lowe&rsquo;s custo=
mers - possibly the worst I have ever seen for any product. &nbsp;Other =
brands like Behr, Olympic and Anvil have generally better reviews, but m=
any, many customers still complain about lifting and peeling within a ye=
ar of installation. &nbsp;I know how critical preparation is on a produc=
t like this, but virtually all complaints seem to include a statement ab=
out having followed the directions exactly. &nbsp;Still, I&rsquo;d rathe=
r hear that from someone I trust. &nbsp;Does anyone here have any experi=
ence with one of these products? <br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Jim<br>_________=
______________________________________<br><br>[email-masked]<b=
r>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Suggested annual donation &=
nbsp;$12.96<br>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>Forums: http://ww=
w.team.net/forums<br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/o=
ptions/shop-talk/[email-masked]<br><br></p></html>

----__JWM__J57b4f3f0.1e5ec0a6S.670a85c3M--

--===============1705938514655604989==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1705938514655604989==--

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 03:06:43 GMT

--===============6166413372372903671==

----__JWM__J20b8e242.67cea80cS.ef9745eM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
To: Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Wooden deck restoration paints
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 16:36:25 -0400

Thanks,

Jim

[email-masked]

----__JWM__J20b8e242.67cea80cS.ef9745eM
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>Jim, I haven't personally tried the wood coating products but a goo=
d friend who has lots of experience and who I trust used it and was not =
the least bit pleased after the task. &nbsp;He said he had to do multipl=
e coats and the coverage wasn't even close to what was advertised. By th=
e time he was done he could have almost bought new deck boards. &nbsp;He=
 said it was the consistency of peanut butter and wished he had simply r=
edecked. &nbsp;This was several years ago, right as these types of produ=
cts came out. &nbsp;Just last week we were talking and he said that he h=
ad changed his view because the product was still holding up very nicely=
 and that he thought that they have refined their formulation to make ap=
plication a little easier.</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>I too am looking at getting a little more time out of a deck, I thi=
nk I am going to try flipping the existing boards. &nbsp;If the bottom s=
urface isn't better, I will simply redeck.</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>Good luck and let us know how it turns out.</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>Matt</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div><br><br>---------- Original Message ----------<br>From: Jim Stone &=
lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: Shop Talk &lt;[email-masked]=
t&gt;<br>Subject: [Shop-talk] Wooden deck restoration paints<br>Date: We=
d, 6 Apr 2016 16:36:25 -0400<br><br>Our house (eastern Long Island) has =
a 12&rsquo; x 30&rsquo; wooden deck on the back. &nbsp;It came with the =
house so we don&rsquo;t know its age, but it is far from new. &nbsp;It w=
ill need to be replaced eventually, but we&rsquo;d like to get at least =
a few more years out of it. &nbsp;Plus, our 1 year old granddaughter wil=
l be walking and crawling on it this summer, so I&rsquo;d like to do wha=
t I can to both preserve the wood and her feet and knees. &nbsp;I planne=
d on using one of the thick paint products made for this purpose, but mo=
st of the reviews on them are pretty lousy. &nbsp;Rustoleum Restore is p=
robably the worst according to Amazon, Home Depot and Lowe&rsquo;s custo=
mers - possibly the worst I have ever seen for any product. &nbsp;Other =
brands like Behr, Olympic and Anvil have generally better reviews, but m=
any, many customers still complain about lifting and peeling within a ye=
ar of installation. &nbsp;I know how critical preparation is on a produc=
t like this, but virtually all complaints seem to include a statement ab=
out having followed the directions exactly. &nbsp;Still, I&rsquo;d rathe=
r hear that from someone I trust. &nbsp;Does anyone here have any experi=
ence with one of these products? <br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Jim<br>_________=
______________________________________<br><br>[email-masked]<b=
r>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Suggested annual donation &=
nbsp;$12.96<br>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>Forums: http://ww=
w.team.net/forums<br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/o=
ptions/shop-talk/[email-masked]<br><br></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div></html>

----__JWM__J20b8e242.67cea80cS.ef9745eM--

--===============6166413372372903671==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6166413372372903671==--