Subject: [Shop-talk] falling headliner fix?

From: Philip Ethier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 06:40:50 -0500

--===============5117071905447769689==

--089e013cbd68f689290530d4f25d

My MOL has a Saturn with a falling headliner.  What's the fix for this?

I'd love to hear that there is an adhesive with a little tube ala-WD40 that
a guy could poke through little holes in the liner.

What's out there to buy?  I will cut bigger holes if I have to.  It's not a
concours car.

-- 
Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com

--089e013cbd68f689290530d4f25d
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">My MOL has a Saturn with a falling headliner.=C2=A0 What&#=
39;s the fix for this?<div><br></div><div>I&#39;d love to hear that there i=
s an adhesive with a little tube ala-WD40 that a guy could poke through lit=
tle holes in the liner.</div><div><br></div><div>What&#39;s out there to bu=
y?=C2=A0 I will cut bigger holes if I have to.=C2=A0 It&#39;s not a concour=
s car.<br clear=3D"all"><div><br></div>-- <br><div class=3D"gmail_signature=
"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><span style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,=
0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&#39;lucida grande&#39;,arial,helvetic=
a,sans-serif;font-size:12.8000001907349px;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)=
">Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA</span><br></div><div><span=
 style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&#39;lucida gr=
ande&#39;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">197=
3 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW &quot;uncle jack&quot;, Sapphire Blue</span><br s=
tyle=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&#39;lucida gran=
de&#39;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)"><span=
 style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&#39;lucida gr=
ande&#39;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">200=
4 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch</span><br style=
=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&#39;lucida grande&#=
39;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)"><span sty=
le=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&#39;lucida grande=
&#39;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">2005 Lo=
tus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl</span><br style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-fami=
ly:verdana,geneva,lucida,&#39;lucida grande&#39;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif=
;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)"><span style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-fa=
mily:verdana,geneva,lucida,&#39;lucida grande&#39;,arial,helvetica,sans-ser=
if;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)">2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal =
Blue Pearl</span><br style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana,geneva,l=
ucida,&#39;lucida grande&#39;,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;background-color:r=
gb(239,239,239)"><a href=3D"http://www.mnautox.com/" style=3D"color:rgb(0,2=
4,57);font-family:verdana,geneva,lucida,&#39;lucida grande&#39;,arial,helve=
tica,sans-serif;background-color:rgb(239,239,239)" target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/www.mnautox.com</a><br></div></div></div></div></div>
</div></div>

--089e013cbd68f689290530d4f25d--

--===============5117071905447769689==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============5117071905447769689==--

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 12:08:44 GMT

--===============0210360578254894266==

----__JWM__J386e23f4.2a5de399S.27dc7a63M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

Phil,I will be happy but surprised if anyone reveals a quick and cheap f=
ix.I have battled this several times and have come to the conclusion tha=
t there is no adequate substitute for pulling out the headliner and reco=
vering.When the foam backing on the original material fails, it gets dus=
ty and simply defies any attempt to re glue. Shop around, I eventually f=
ound a shop (albiet a few years ago) that did a great job for $75.Depend=
ing on the car, the shell may not be that hard to remove yourself and yo=
u could either buy the fabric and recover yourself or take it to the int=
erior shop and have them do it and you could reinstall. Good Luck!   =

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Philip Ethier <[email-masked]>
To: Shop-Talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] falling headliner fix?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 06:40:50 -0500

My MOL has a Saturn with a falling headliner.  What's the fix for this? =
I'd love to hear that there is an adhesive with a little tube ala-WD40 t=
hat a guy could poke through little holes in the liner. What's out there=
 to buy?  I will cut bigger holes if I have to.  It's not a concours car=
. -- =

Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA1973 Triumph Stag LE22439U=
BW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only aut=
omatic of the bunch2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl2005 Subaru Legac=
y GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearlhttp://www.mnautox.com
----__JWM__J386e23f4.2a5de399S.27dc7a63M
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html><div>Phil,</div>
<div>I will be happy but surprised if anyone reveals a quick and cheap f=
ix.</div>
<div>I have battled this several times and have come to the conclusion t=
hat there is no adequate substitute for pulling out the headliner and re=
covering.</div>
<div>When the foam backing on the original material fails, it gets dusty=
 and simply defies any attempt to re glue.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Shop around, I eventually found a shop (albiet a few years ago) tha=
t did a great job for $75.</div>
<div>Depending on the car, the shell may not be that hard to remove your=
self and you could either buy the fabric and recover yourself or take it=
 to the interior shop and have them do it and you could reinstall.</div>=

<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Good Luck!</div>
<div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
</div>
<div><br><br>---------- Original Message ----------<br>From: Philip Ethi=
er &lt;[email-masked]&gt;<br>To: Shop-Talk &lt;[email-masked].=
net&gt;<br>Subject: [Shop-talk] falling headliner fix?<br>Date: Tue, 19 =
Apr 2016 06:40:50 -0500<br><br></p>
<div dir=3D"ltr">My MOL has a Saturn with a falling headliner.&nbsp; Wha=
t's the fix for this?
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>I'd love to hear that there is an adhesive with a little tube ala-W=
D40 that a guy could poke through little holes in the liner.</div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>What's out there to buy?&nbsp; I will cut bigger holes if I have to=
.&nbsp; It's not a concours car.<br clear=3D"all">
<div>&nbsp;</div>
-- <br>
<div class=3D"gmail_signature">
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div>
<div dir=3D"ltr">
<div><span style=3D"color: #000000; font-family: verdana,geneva,lucida,'=
lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12.8000001907349px=
; background-color: #efefef;">Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota=
 USA</span></div>
<div><span style=3D"color: #000000; font-family: verdana,geneva,lucida,'=
lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif; background-color: #efefef;">1=
973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue</span><br style=3D=
"color: #000000; font-family: verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',aria=
l,helvetica,sans-serif; background-color: #efefef;"><span style=3D"color=
: #000000; font-family: verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helv=
etica,sans-serif; background-color: #efefef;">2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport R=
ed, the only automatic of the bunch</span><br style=3D"color: #000000; f=
ont-family: verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-s=
erif; background-color: #efefef;"><span style=3D"color: #000000; font-fa=
mily: verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif; =
background-color: #efefef;">2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl</span><=
br style=3D"color: #000000; font-family: verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida g=
rande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif; background-color: #efefef;"><span sty=
le=3D"color: #000000; font-family: verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande'=
,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; background-color: #efefef;">2005 Subaru Leg=
acy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl</span><br style=3D"color: #000000; font=
-family: verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-seri=
f; background-color: #efefef;"><a style=3D"color: #001839; font-family: =
verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif; backgr=
ound-color: #efefef;" href=3D"http://www.mnautox.com/" target=3D"_blank"=
>http://www.mnautox.com</a></div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div></html>

----__JWM__J386e23f4.2a5de399S.27dc7a63M--

--===============0210360578254894266==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0210360578254894266==--

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 09:43:23 -0400

--===============0270323132616115664==
	boundary="=====================_4683009==.ALT"

--=====================_4683009==.ALT
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

At 07:40 AM 4/19/2016, Philip Ethier wrote:

 >My MOL has a Saturn with a falling headliner.=C2  What's the fix for this=
?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a fix in a 
can.  Usually the head liners are a
piece of cloth with a foam rubber backing which is glued to a fiberglass sh=
ell.

Over the years, heat and cool cycles, and wind 
beating on it (windows rolled down)
the foam rubber drys out and crumbles.

You can try getting any spray glue and seeing if 
that won't hold it up for a while,
but the real fix is to take it to a shop and have 
them remove the headliner, clean
the old cloth off the shell, and install new 
material.  I don't have any idea what
it costs today.  I had a Voyager van done years 
ago for about $125 dollars.  But
like I say that was well over 10 yrs ago.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--=====================_4683009==.ALT
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<body>
<font size=3D3>At 07:40 AM 4/19/2016, Philip Ethier wrote:<br><br>
&gt;My MOL has a Saturn with a falling headliner.=C2&nbsp; What's the fix
for this?<br><br>
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a fix in a can.&nbsp; Usually the
head liners are a <br>
piece of cloth with a foam rubber backing which is glued to a fiberglass
shell.<br><br>
Over the years, heat and cool cycles, and wind beating on it (windows
rolled down)<br>
the foam rubber drys out and crumbles. <br><br>
You can try getting any spray glue and seeing if that won't hold it up
for a while,<br>
but the real fix is to take it to a shop and have them remove the
headliner, clean<br>
the old cloth off the shell, and install new material.&nbsp; I don't have
any idea what<br>
it costs today.&nbsp; I had a Voyager van done years ago for about $125
dollars.&nbsp; But<br>
like I say that was well over 10 yrs ago.<br><br>
John<br><br>
</font><br />
<table style=3D"border-top: 1px solid #aaabb6;">
	<tr>
        <td style=3D"width: 55px; padding-top: 13px;"><a href=3D"https://ww=
w.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=3Demail&utm_source=3Dlink&utm_campaign=3Ds=
ig-email&utm_content=3Demailclient&utm_term=3Dicon" target=3D"_blank"><img =
src=3D"https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/2016/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-=
orange-v1.png" /></a></td>
		<td style=3D"width: 470px; padding-top: 15px; color: #41424e; font-size: =
13px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">Virus-=
free. <a href=3D"https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=3Demail&utm_sou=
rce=3Dlink&utm_campaign=3Dsig-email&utm_content=3Demailclient&utm_term=3Dli=
nk" target=3D"_blank" style=3D"color: #4453ea;">www.avast.com</a>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table></body>
<br>
<div>John T. Blair&nbsp; WA4OHZ&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; email:&nbsp;
[email-masked]</div>
<div>Va. Beach,
Va&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Phone:&nbsp; (757) 495-8229</div>
<br>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48
TR1800&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 48 #4 Midget&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 65 Morgan 4/4
Series V (B1106)</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
77 Spitfire&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 71 Saab Sonett III</div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
65 Rambler Classic</div>
<br>
<div>Morgan:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<a href=3D"http://www.team.net/www/morgan" EUDORA=3DAUTOURL>
www.team.net/www/morgan</a></div>
<div>Bricklin:&nbsp;
<a href=3D"http://www.bricklin.org/" EUDORA=3DAUTOURL>www.bricklin.org</a>
</div>
<br>
<div>If you can read
this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;
- Thank a teacher!</div>
<div>If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!</div>
<br>
<div> From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e pluribus Unum, &quot;from many,
one.&quot;</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; In God We Trust</div>
<div>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Liberty - the&nbsp; power&nbsp; of&nbsp;
choosing,&nbsp; thinking,&nbsp; and&nbsp; acting&nbsp; for&nbsp; </div>
<div>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
oneself; freedom&nbsp; from&nbsp; control&nbsp; or&nbsp;
restriction&nbsp; </div>
<br>
<br>
</html>

--=====================_4683009==.ALT--

--===============0270323132616115664==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============0270323132616115664==--

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 10:53:59 -0700

On 4/19/2016 7:57 AM, Pat Horne wrote:
> If this is too much trouble, try thumb tacks. Make a design with 100 or so!

"Daddy, why is it raining thumbtacks!  Ouch!"

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 11:57:36 -0700

> If what you're looking for is 'keep this thing off my hair 
> until I can 
> scrap the car' I've seen a car where the owner slit the 
> headliner across 
> the car and cleaned out enough cruft to get some glue up there that 
> seemed to hold well enough and I've seen one car where the 
> owner went at 
> it with some heavy fishing line and one of those long curved 
> turkey-sewing needles.  Both were functional, neither was an 
> aesthetic success.

Or in the same category, just pull out all the fabric and crumbled foam; and leave the bare shell behind.  It's not like folks spend
a lot of time looking up at the headliner.

After all, it's transportation, not a work of art.

Randall

[email-masked]