Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Source of special plexiglass

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 08:00:45 -0400

I've used Interstate Plastics in the past for various things.  Looks
like this might work, although my connection is too slow this morning
to get a price:

https://www.interstateplastics.com/Acrylic-Cear-Bullet-Resistant-Sar-level-1-Sheet-ACRE1CPSHdead.php

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 6:51 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I have a soda machine that I'm about to put back in service after restoring
> it.  It will be out in the general public.
>
> The last piece I need is a small (about 1" high by 5" wide) piece of
> plexiglass that is 'vandal proof' (or whatever term they use.)
>
> This will cover the LED readout, so it needs to be semi-clear.  If you look
> at any modern vending machine, they all have them.  Most a tinted 'blueish'
>
> Then I need to glue it to the plastic frame (this is how the original one
> was done.
>
> Two questions...
>
> Where can plexiglass, and what type of glue (and source) do I use?
>
> TIA
>
> Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
> Eric P
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo
> Emerson
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Pat Horne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 07:57:34 -0500

--===============1646253939429071014==
 boundary=Apple-Mail-087312BA-52B0-4378-86F2-3622B99AB6DE
Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-087312BA-52B0-4378-86F2-3622B99AB6DE
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

 Check into polycarbonate. It's tough stuff. McMaster-Carr has it. Don't kno=
w how thick you need.=20

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne=20
We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity

On Apr 24, 2016, at 5:51 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

I have a soda machine that I'm about to put back in service after restoring i=
t.  It will be out in the general public.=20

The last piece I need is a small (about 1" high by 5" wide) piece of plexigl=
ass that is 'vandal proof' (or whatever term they use.)=20

This will cover the LED readout, so it needs to be semi-clear.  If you look a=
t any modern vending machine, they all have them.  Most a tinted 'blueish'=20=

Then I need to glue it to the plastic frame (this is how the original one wa=
s done.=20

Two questions...=20

Where can plexiglass, and what type of glue (and source) do I use?=20

TIA=20

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational be=
ing are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo E=
merson
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail-087312BA-52B0-4378-86F2-3622B99AB6DE
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div>&nbsp;Check into polycarbonate. It's tough stuff.&nbsp;<span style="background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">McMaster-Carr has it. Don't know how thick you need.&nbsp;</span></div><div id="AppleMailSignature"><br></div><div id="AppleMailSignature">Peace,</div><div id="AppleMailSignature">Pat<br><br>Pat Horne&nbsp;<div>We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity</div><div><br></div></div><div><br>On Apr 24, 2016, at 5:51 PM, <a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a> wrote:<br><br></div><div>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">I have a soda machine that I'm about
to put back in service after restoring it. &nbsp;It will be out in the
general public.</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">The last piece I need is a small (about
1" high by 5" wide) piece of plexiglass that is 'vandal proof'
(or whatever term they use.)</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">This will cover the LED readout, so
it needs to be semi-clear. &nbsp;If you look at any modern vending machine,
they all have them. &nbsp;Most a tinted 'blueish'</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Then I need to glue it to the plastic
frame (this is how the original one was done.</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Two questions...</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">Where can plexiglass, and what type
of glue (and source) do I use?</font>
<br>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif">TIA</font>
<br><font size="2" face="sans-serif"><br>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Eric P<br>
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font></div><div><span>_______________________________________________</span><br><span></span><br><span><a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a></span><br><span>Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></span><br><span>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.96</span><br><span>Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a></span><br><span>Forums: <a href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a></span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]</a></span><br><span></span><br></div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail-087312BA-52B0-4378-86F2-3622B99AB6DE--

--===============1646253939429071014==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1646253939429071014==--

---

From: "Eric J Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 14:45:06 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============8661020481168777176==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00F1_01D19F01.0EB45CE0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00F1_01D19F01.0EB45CE0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I've bought material from Online Metals. They also sell various types of =
plastics.=20
 =
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=3D270&step=3D2&top_cat=3D181 =

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
------=_NextPart_000_00F1_01D19F01.0EB45CE0
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 9.00.8112.16773">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I've bought material from Online =
Metals. They also=20
sell various types of plastics.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;<A=20
href=3D"http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=3D270&amp;step=3D2&am=
p;top_cat=3D181">http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=3D270&amp;st=
ep=3D2&amp;top_cat=3D181</A>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Eric Russell<BR>Mebane,=20
NC</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00F1_01D19F01.0EB45CE0--

--===============8661020481168777176==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============8661020481168777176==--

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:08:53 -0700

On 4/25/2016 5:57 AM, Pat Horne wrote:
>   Check into polycarbonate. It's tough stuff. McMaster-Carr has it.
> Don't know how thick you need.

Plexiglas is the original Rohm & Haas (IIRC) trademark for what is 
generically called acrylic.

Polycarbonate is the generic term for what was originally sold by GE as 
Lexan.

'Vandal proof' clear plastic is usually polycarbonate.  It is tougher 
and far more shatter-resistant (acrylic cracks quite easily particularly 
in < 1/4in thicknesses) though it can still be scratched and will melt 
if enough heat is applied.

Acrylic is commonly found in all kinds of colors and opacities. 
Polycarbonate is commonly found only as clear.  If you look at the edge 
of a sheet of clear acrylic it looks clear; the edge of a sheet of 
polycarbonate will look black.   Polycarbonate filters/absorbs different 
parts of the light spectrum than acrylic.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:17:13 -0700

> parts of the light spectrum than acrylic.

This matters in particular if you're trying to assemble (acrylic 
solvent-welds easily, polycarbonate not really at all) or laser-cut on a 
CO2 laser (acrylic cuts nicely, polycarbonate just sucks up all the 
light and melts) random pieces of unknown plastic sheet.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 15:46:20 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============1179767670602760208==
 boundary="------------040209090101010906020809"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------040209090101010906020809
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 4/24/2016 6:51 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> I have a soda machine that I'm about to put back in service after 
> restoring it.  It will be out in the general public.
>
> This will cover the LED readout, so it needs to be semi-clear.  If you 
> look at any modern vending machine, they all have them.  Most a tinted 
> 'blueish'
>
> Then I need to glue it to the plastic frame (this is how the original 
> one was done.
>
> Two questions...
>
Unless you're going concours your local big box hardware store carries 
plexi and polycarb.  I'd go with the polycarb and just silcone chaulk.

--------------040209090101010906020809
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 4/24/2016 6:51 PM, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">I have a soda machine that I'm
        about
        to put back in service after restoring it.  It will be out in
        the
        general public.</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">The last piece I need is a small
        (about
        1" high by 5" wide) piece of plexiglass that is 'vandal proof'
        (or whatever term they use.)</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">This will cover the LED readout,
        so
        it needs to be semi-clear.  If you look at any modern vending
        machine,
        they all have them.  Most a tinted 'blueish'</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">Then I need to glue it to the
        plastic
        frame (this is how the original one was done.</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">Two questions...</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">Where can plexiglass, and what
        type
        of glue (and source) do I use?</font>
      <br>
      <br>
      <font size="2" face="sans-serif">TIA</font></blockquote>
    <font size="2">Unless you're going concours your local big box
      hardware store carries plexi and polycarb.  I'd go with the
      polycarb and just silcone chaulk.<br>
      <br>
    </font><br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------040209090101010906020809--

--===============1179767670602760208==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============1179767670602760208==--

---

From: "Tony Vaccaro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 17:06:53 -0400

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6829672687879958028==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000B_01D19F14.DD9E5AC0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01D19F14.DD9E5AC0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

We have place here in Buffalo called Great Lakes Plastic.

=20

They have a whole section of cut offs, ends etc.  If you tell me what =
you want size wise and thickness I can try and fine the time to see if =
they have it. Not a short drive=E2=80=A6.20 minutes or so=E2=80=A6.from =
my place, but if you need it and cannot find it anywhere else I will =
look.  They might even not have it.

=20

Tony V

www.lotusowners.com <http://www.lotusowners.com>=20

=20

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01D19F14.DD9E5AC0
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>We have =
place here in Buffalo called Great Lakes =
Plastic.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>They have a =
whole section of cut offs, ends etc.=C2=A0 If you tell me what you want =
size wise and thickness I can try and fine the time to see if they have =
it. Not a short drive=E2=80=A6.20 minutes or so=E2=80=A6.from my place, =
but if you need it and cannot find it anywhere else I will look.=C2=A0 =
They might even not have it.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Tony =
V<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'><a =
href=3D"http://www.lotusowners.com">www.lotusowners.com</a><o:p></o:p></s=
pan></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
o:p></span></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_000B_01D19F14.DD9E5AC0--

--===============6829672687879958028==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6829672687879958028==--

---

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 19:04:03 -0700

I agree polycarbonate is probably what you need. I would check with my 
local full service glass place; they may give you a piece since what you 
need is essentially a scrap.

On 4/25/2016 5:00 AM, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

[email-masked]