Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Battery-operated tools....battery disposal tangent

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 11:19:39 -0400

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Personally, I'm a lot less worried
> about rivers in China than I am the landfill up the hill (from where I used to live).

To be sure, the land fill is more immediate.  However, it's much more
likely to be equipped with a liner and a leachate collection system
that ensures any fugitive emissions will be collected and properly
treated.  Not so much the river in China.

Having said that, it appears there are certainly cases where it's
better to toss the trash rather than recycle it.  At work, I'm not
allowed to recycle electronics unless the recycler is certified to
properly handle and dispose of the waste.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:03:39 +0000 (UTC)

--===============6516640869942215838==
	boundary="----=_Part_10532342_1173426192.1460495019705"

------=_Part_10532342_1173426192.1460495019705
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Looks like most of the battery recycling is legit: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_recycling 

The other stuff, not necessarily: 

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/30/world/asia/china-electronic-waste-e-waste/ 

Understand only caring about what's 'up the hill,' but the planet is a closed loop; it'll end up in our air and water eventually. 

----- Original Message -----

> I know a lot of places take batteries, fluorescent bulbs, 
> etc. for recycling, but I have a sneaking suspicion--backed 
> up by some investigative reporting I've seen--that a lot of 
> the 'recycled' stuff ends up in rivers in China (presumably 
> after any valuable components and metals are removed). 

Interesting. That explains the disclaimer at http://www.lacsd.org/solidwaste/swfacilities/recyclecontact/hhw_e_waste/ 
"No electronic waste collected at these events is sent overseas." 

I'm not arguing whether that is true or not; just didn't understand why it was worth mentioning. Personally, I'm a lot less worried 
about rivers in China than I am the landfill up the hill (from where I used to live). 

Randall 

------=_Part_10532342_1173426192.1460495019705
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00"><div>Looks like most of the battery recycling is legit:<br></div><div><=
br></div><div><a href=3D"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_recycling">h=
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_recycling</a></div><div><br></div><div=
>The other stuff, not necessarily:<br></div><div><br></div><div><a href=3D"=
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/30/world/asia/china-electronic-waste-e-waste/">h=
ttp://www.cnn.com/2013/05/30/world/asia/china-electronic-waste-e-waste/</a>=
</div><div><br></div><div>Understand only caring about what's 'up the hill,=
' but the planet is a closed loop; it'll end up in our air and water eventu=
ally.<br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><hr id=3D"zwchr"><div style=3D=
"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-=
family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><br><div><br></div><br>&=
gt; I know a lot of places take batteries, fluorescent bulbs, <br>&gt; etc.=
 for recycling, but I have a sneaking suspicion--backed <br>&gt; up by some=
 investigative reporting I've seen--that a lot of <br>&gt; the 'recycled' s=
tuff ends up in rivers in China (presumably <br>&gt; after any valuable com=
ponents and metals are removed).<br><div><br></div>Interesting. &nbsp;That =
explains the disclaimer at http://www.lacsd.org/solidwaste/swfacilities/rec=
yclecontact/hhw_e_waste/<br>"No electronic waste collected at these events =
is sent overseas."<br><div><br></div>I'm not arguing whether that is true o=
r not; just didn't understand why it was worth mentioning. &nbsp;Personally=
, I'm a lot less worried<br>about rivers in China than I am the landfill up=
 the hill (from where I used to live).<br><div><br></div>Randall<br><div><b=
r></div><br><div><br></div></div><div><br></div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_10532342_1173426192.1460495019705--

--===============6516640869942215838==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6516640869942215838==--