Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sticking/Draging caliper

From: Matt Wehland <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 08:40:27 -0600

Just wanted to post a follow up and a thank you for all who helped.

I kind of lost interest/time so the Hyundai sat in the garage for a 
month or two, until the Mustang started to pee green stuff.

The Hyundai caliper was still dragging by hand, but I had to get it out 
of the way, so I just buttoned it back up and took it out for a test spin.

Rear caliper seemed to be working Ok, no excess heat being generated.
2 weeks of driving and it seems to be Ok.

Last time the caliper (a different one) dragged by hand, it dragged 
while driving, generating excess heat.
Not this time.

This week I hope to get it back in the garage and inspect everything, 
still have more work to do to it anyway.

Not even going to question this one, just happy it works, for now.

Thanks,
Matt

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Scott Ryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 23:17:45 -0600

I did not see the original post. But I will tell you about a very 
difficult to diagnose problem I had on a honda (more than one, actually, 
but easier to find second time):
rotors would overheat, brake fade, melt the pads and caliper rubber, 
when putting the car up on jacks, was working fine, but it turns out the 
hose was crushed by rust in a clamp. was keeping a small amount of 
pressure in the caliper. The rotors would get red during highway usage, 
if you applied brakes when at highway speeds, but did not seem to be 
really dragging all that much. It was where a clamp was wrapped around 
the brake hose, off the struts. (fronts). Person I got the car from had 
replaced calipers at least twice, rotors I think, and pads many times, 
in a 2-3 year period.

I hope this helps someone.  Scott R

On 3/7/16 8:40 AM, Matt Wehland wrote:
> <snip>
> The Hyundai caliper was still dragging by hand, but I had to get it 
> out of the way, so I just buttoned it back up and took it out for a 
> test spin.
>
> <snip>

> Matt

____________________________________________________________
Affordable Wireless Plans
Set up is easy. Get online in minutes.
Starting at only $9.95 per month! 
www.netzero.net?refcd=nzmem0216
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Matt Wehland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 10:18:34 -0600

Thanks for posting Scott.

I'm sure it will help someone.  Trouble shooting is easier with 
experience, and learning from others is easier than pulling hair out 
trying to find the cause yourself.

My first example from my first car-

My first car was a 1979 Datsun 280ZX, family owned since 1yr old, garage 
kept, became mine when I graduated high school.
After a few more years it began eating alternators.
I sold it to a friend who kept having the same issues.
After he got rid of it (it basically rusted away once it started seeing 
salt), he talked to someone who knew the model.
Person told him 'Should have checked the voltage regulator, it is under 
the passenger seat'.
It is under the What?

Had I had more experience I would have known to check charging voltage 
and maybe found the voltage regulator.  And I probably would have kept 
the car a little longer.

I still miss that car, much more refined in many ways than the 95 
Mustang that replaced it.

Matt

On 3/10/2016 11:17 PM, Scott Ryan wrote:
> difficult to diagnose problem I had on a honda (more than one, 
> actually, but easier to find second time):
> when putting the car up on jacks, was working fine, but it turns out 
> the hose was crushed by rust in a clamp. was keeping a small amount of 
> pressure in the caliper. The rotors would get red during highway 
> usage, if you applied brakes when at highway speeds, but did not seem 
> to be really dragging all that much. It was where a clamp was wrapped 
> around the brake hose, off the struts. (fronts). Person I got the car 
> from had replaced calipers at least twice, rotors I think, and pads 
> many times, in a 2-3 year period.
>

-- 
Matt Wehland
(815) 295-4533

[email-masked]