Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Radiant heat for garage (Now IR Cameras)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:05:42 -0400 03/17/2016 09:05:45, Serialize complete at 03/17/2016 09:05:45

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============2159623380096658764==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 004AB31685257F79_=

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I really can't believe how many 
things an IR Camera can do.  It took me years to justify it in my mind to 
drop the $1200 (at the time) on a camera.  The Android options now seem 
really competitive!

I don't have experience with android ones, but that photos seems to be 
pretty impressive.  While the dedicated cameras are out of the reach for 
most people without a professional need use, I do want to give you a 
little ammo to think about buying, at least the android model...

8-Not only can you find studs, you can find mold, leaks, water damage, 
etc.  This alone could justify the purchase of a camera.  Think about how 
much it costs when you have to rip up walls/floors to find leaks.
7-Electrical problems BEFORE a fire.  They can identify failing, or about 
to fail, circuits and breakers!
6-Thermal loss-  My original reason (and it took me years to justify it) 
was to find out where my home was leaking the worst in insulation.  I live 
in a 200+ year old home.  Finding leaks and addressing them can save me 
thousands.
5-Using it to gauge welds.  I was fixing a marine exhaust manafold that 
cost $1300 to replace.  It was made out of cast iron.  Between a home oven 
in the shop and the camera, I was about to pre-heat the part, weld it, and 
let it cool properly because I could keep checking the part's temperature 
to prevent it from getting out of range.
4-Finding nests and animals-  A neat side benefit, you can find mice and 
insect nests. This is not an absolute, and it takes some 'luck' but it can 
be done.
3-Great family photos for kids-  Each year, I bring the camera to work on 
'bring your kids to work day.'  The kids LOVE the photos (and mine camera 
takes the two photos with the actual photo and thermal image) and I give 
them to their parents.
2-Engine/drive train diagnosis!!!  That's right, I've used it to find 
sticky brakes, leaky exhaust, unevenly heated engines and other things.
AND the number one reason for people here...
1-Really, which one of us here needs a reason to buy a new tool!  8>)

Here are a few samples that I had handy...I had some great ones of breaker 
panels, but I can't find them right now.

http://tinyurl.com/ircamerasamples 

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
--=_alternative 004AB31685257F79_=

<font size=2 face="sans-serif">I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but
I really can't believe how many things an IR Camera can do. &nbsp;It took
me years to justify it in my mind to drop the $1200 (at the time) on a
camera. &nbsp;The Android options now seem really competitive!</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I don't have experience with android
ones, but that photos seems to be pretty impressive. &nbsp;While the dedicated
cameras are out of the reach for most people without a professional need
use, I do want to give you a little ammo to think about buying, at least
the android model...</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">8-Not only can you find studs, you can
find mold, leaks, water damage, etc. &nbsp;This alone could justify the
purchase of a camera. &nbsp;Think about how much it costs when you have
to rip up walls/floors to find leaks.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">7-Electrical problems BEFORE a fire.
&nbsp;They can identify failing, or about to fail, circuits and breakers!</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">6-Thermal loss- &nbsp;My original reason
(and it took me years to justify it) was to find out where my home was
leaking the worst in insulation. &nbsp;I live in a 200+ year old home.
&nbsp;Finding leaks and addressing them can save me thousands.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">5-Using it to gauge welds. &nbsp;I was
fixing a marine exhaust manafold that cost $1300 to replace. &nbsp;It was
made out of cast iron. &nbsp;Between a home oven in the shop and the camera,
I was about to pre-heat the part, weld it, and let it cool properly because
I could keep checking the part's temperature to prevent it from getting
out of range.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">4-Finding nests and animals- &nbsp;A
neat side benefit, you can find mice and insect nests. This is not an absolute,
and it takes some 'luck' but it can be done.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">3-Great family photos for kids- &nbsp;Each
year, I bring the camera to work on 'bring your kids to work day.' &nbsp;The
kids LOVE the photos (and mine camera &nbsp;takes the two photos with the
actual photo and thermal image) and I give them to their parents.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">2-Engine/drive train diagnosis!!! &nbsp;That's
right, I've used it to find sticky brakes, leaky exhaust, unevenly heated
engines and other things.</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">AND the number one reason for people
here...</font>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">1-Really, which one of us here needs
a reason to buy a new tool! &nbsp;8&gt;)</font>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Here are a few samples that I had handy...I
had some great ones of breaker panels, but I can't find them right now.</font>
<br>
<br><a href=http://tinyurl.com/ircamerasamples><font size=1 color=blue face="Verdana"><b>http://tinyurl.com/ircamerasamples</b></font></a><font size=3>
</font>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400
Baud Modem.<br>
Eric P<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>
--=_alternative 004AB31685257F79_=--

--===============2159623380096658764==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2159623380096658764==--

---

From: Joe Szwed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 14:45:58 -0400

--===============6750792178041581357==

--001a11c115888b2ba7052e430af0

To add to Eric's list of uses, anyone who keeps bees can use one to sort of
"check" hives in the winter.  I have seen some pictures and you can
actually see the size of a healthy cluster inside the hive and where its
located.  Pretty cool.

Joe

--001a11c115888b2ba7052e430af0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">To add to Eric&#39;s list of uses, anyone who keeps bees c=
an use one to sort of &quot;check&quot; hives in the winter.=C2=A0 I have s=
een some pictures and you can actually see the size of a healthy cluster in=
side the hive and where its located.=C2=A0 Pretty cool.<div><br></div><div>=
Joe</div></div>

--001a11c115888b2ba7052e430af0--

--===============6750792178041581357==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6750792178041581357==--