Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] chainsaw problem

From: "john niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 15:06:06 -0500

Randall......  tried it after reinstalling plug... same symptoms  ... still 
won't pull out more than about 6"...   it's not a 'hard' stop, it's really 
like it's hitting up against compression If I wait a couple of seconds and 
continue pulling it will go another 6"    really strange

Arvid....  no manual compression release on this saw...  it might do it 
internally but it's not mentioned in the manual...

john

-----Original Message----- 
From: Randall
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 1:25 PM
To: 'john niolon' ; 'shop-talk'
Subject: RE: [Shop-talk] chainsaw problem

> so I remove the spark plug and try it again... rope pulls
> freely like it should) and I can see piston moving up and
> down the cylinder...  so the reciprocating parts are working????

Just a thought, did you try it again with the plug back in after spinning it 
with the plug out?  Sometimes oil or fuel can
accumulate and cause a hydrolock condition.

Randall 

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 16:54:37 -0400

I'm with Randall on this.  Whenever this has happened to me, it has 
been a hydrolock like he said.  I bet the carburetor is messed up and 
it is allowing too much fuel to pour into the cylinder.  Try 
completely emptying the fuel from the saw. when you remove the plug, 
tip it over and see if anything at all drips out.  I'm betting that a 
couple of repetitions of removing the plug and clearing the cylinder 
will end the lockup, because it can't hydrolock without any 
fluid.  Then when you put fuel in, it will lock again, unless you fix 
the carb.  BTW, my experience is with 2-cycle engines with the oil 
mixed in the gas.  Emptying the tank means no fuel, no oil so no 
hydrolock.   If this is a 4-cycle engine, there might be some 
differences I'm not familiar with.

-Steve T.

At 04:06 PM 3/14/2016, john niolon wrote:
>Randall......  tried it after reinstalling plug... same 
>symptoms  ... still won't pull out more than about 6"...   it's not 
>a 'hard' stop, it's really like it's hitting up against compression 
>If I wait a couple of seconds and continue pulling it will go 
>another 6"    really strange
>
>Arvid....  no manual compression release on this saw...  it might do 
>it internally but it's not mentioned in the manual...
>
>john

[email-masked]

---

From: "john niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 17:51:06 -0500

well... kept playing with it... removed muffler and cleaned the 
screen...flushed the cylinder out and blew it all dry..   mixed new gas and 
tried it...   It will turn over now but won't start...   still real good 
compression.....checked for fire and it's a nice bright spark... so I'm 
figuring an Ethanol destroyed carb/fuel line/filter....   Amazon has parts 
coming Wednesday...  that should fix everything I hope

thanks for all the suggestions....  don't know why I was thinking about 
valves sticking... my old 4 stroke mind I guess...

john
-----Original Message----- 
From: Steven Trovato
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 3:54 PM
To: shop-talk
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] chainsaw problem

-Steve T.

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 17:43:09 -0700

John - Once you get the saw working again....

I've become a fan of TruFuel for seldom used engines.  It comes premixed 
and is without ethanol.  Long term stability is good and the engines 
always start right up.  You also don't have to run the engine out of gas 
before storing a couple months.

Yes it cost more, but when I had trouble with my Echo string trimmer, 
they wanted to blame my gas.  Once I told them the only thing I ran was 
TruFuel, the attitude changed, they looked at the carb and saw it was 
clean, then fixed it free (purchased at a local small business and they 
service what they sell).  Since I'm in California, we have extra bad 
gas, so this stuff makes even more of a difference.

If you buy TruFuel at the blue big box by the six pack, you get a 10% 
case discount.  There are other brands of the same thing, but I can't 
comment on them since I've only used the TruFuel.  I did check with Echo 
and Stihl and they say it meets their specifications, so no warranty 
issues.

Brian

On 3/14/2016 3:51 PM, john niolon wrote:
> screen...flushed the cylinder out and blew it all dry..   mixed new 
> gas and tried it...   It will turn over now but won't start...   still 
> real good compression.....checked for fire and it's a nice bright 
> spark... so I'm figuring an Ethanol destroyed carb/fuel 
> line/filter....   Amazon has parts coming Wednesday...  that should 
> fix everything I hope
>
> thanks for all the suggestions....  don't know why I was thinking 
> about valves sticking... my old 4 stroke mind I guess...
>
> john

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 19:22:47 -0700

I ONLY buy ethanol free gas, and put Stabil in it, for all of my stored 
gas.  I keep 50 gallons on hand in five gallon cans (old habit from 
having a gas powered generator) and when it gets 9 months old or so, it 
goes in the truck and the can is refilled and put to the back of the 
queue.  I have had gas over a year old work just fine in my mower and saws.

I don't keep 2 stroke premix for long periods, though, although with 
ethanol free gas it does seem to last longer.

On 3/14/2016 5:43 PM, Brian Kemp wrote:
>
> I've become a fan of TruFuel for seldom used engines.  It comes 
> premixed and is without ethanol.  Long term stability is good and the 
> engines always start right up.  You also don't have to run the engine 
> out of gas before storing a couple months. 

[email-masked]