Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tracing an oil leak

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 01:00:12 +0000

--===============3824839261255312624==
Content-Language: en-US
	boundary="_000_CY1PR13MB050329D19D7BB83A4608AB67B4B90CY1PR13MB0503namp_"

--_000_CY1PR13MB050329D19D7BB83A4608AB67B4B90CY1PR13MB0503namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

try this again......

My youngest daughter has an oil leak in a late model Monte Carlo that it be=
yond my limited skills. She lives in St. Paul which is several hours from "=
home".

How would a mechanic trace an oil leak if they cannot visually see it? I am=
 worried that she will get taken advantage of and would like to try to educ=
ate her enough so she knows how to talk to the mechanic she uses.

Thanks!
tim

--_000_CY1PR13MB050329D19D7BB83A4608AB67B4B90CY1PR13MB0503namp_
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<style type=3D"text/css" style=3D"display:none;"><!-- P {margin-top:0;margi=
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
<body dir=3D"ltr">
<div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size:12pt;color:#000000;back=
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
<p>try this again......</p>
<div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
<div id=3D"divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr">
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; fon=
t-size: 12pt;">My youngest daughter has an oil leak in a late model Monte C=
arlo</span><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-seri=
f; font-size: 12pt;">&nbsp;that it beyond
 my limited skills. She lives in St. Paul which is several hours from &quot=
;home&quot;.&nbsp;</span></div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; fon=
t-size: 12pt;"><br>
</span></div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; fon=
t-size: 12pt;"><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-=
serif; font-size: 16px;">How would a mechanic trace an oil leak if they can=
not visually see it? I am worried that
 she will get taken advantage of and would like to try to educate her enoug=
h so she knows how to talk to the mechanic she uses.&nbsp;</span><br>
</span></div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; fon=
t-size: 12pt;"><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-=
serif; font-size: 16px;"><br>
</span></span></div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; fon=
t-size: 12pt;"><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-=
serif; font-size: 16px;">Thanks!</span></span></div>
<div><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; fon=
t-size: 12pt;"><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-=
serif; font-size: 16px;">tim</span></span></div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

--_000_CY1PR13MB050329D19D7BB83A4608AB67B4B90CY1PR13MB0503namp_--

--===============3824839261255312624==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============3824839261255312624==--

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 20:34:11 -0500

There are UV dyes that can be added to the oil, followed by 
inspection with a UV light.  Mechanics also tend to get familiar with 
the common engines out there.  Sometimes before they even pop the 
hood they will know where the leak is.

-Steve

At 08:00 PM 2/27/2016, Tim . wrote:
>Content-Language: en-US
>Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
> 
>My youngest daughter has an oil leak in a late model Monte Carlo 
>that it beyond my limited skills. She lives in St. Paul which is 
>several hours from "home".
>
>How would a mechanic trace an oil leak if they cannot visually see 
>it? I am worried that she will get taken advantage of and would like 
>to try to educate her enough so she knows how to talk to the 
>mechanic she uses.
>
>Thanks!
>tim
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Eric J Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 20:43:26 -0500

Real mechanics might add a UV dye, run the engine and use a UV light to try 
to locate the leak.

I'd clean off any suspect areas, dry them and dust some baby powder on the 
areas. That helps reveal small leaks. And of course you have to take gravity 
& air flow into account and work backwards to find the source. I've also 
held a sheet of clean white paper near any suspect areas. That helps reveal 
a fine oil mist that might otherwise be difficult to see.

How significant is the oil leak? You can buy a lot of oil for what it might 
cost to find & fix a small leak. But your daughter would have to check/add 
oil regularly.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

----- Original Message ----- 

My youngest daughter has an oil leak in a late model Monte Carlo that it 
beyond my limited skills. She lives in St. Paul which is several hours from 
"home".

How would a mechanic trace an oil leak if they cannot visually see it? I am 
worried that she will get taken advantage of and would like to try to 
educate her enough so she knows how to talk to the mechanic she uses. 

[email-masked]

---

From: Karl Vacek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 07:06:06 -0600

Oil without any UV dyes will actually fluoresce under UV light anyway.  The
dyes make it fluoresce brighter, but in shade or dark a decent UV light
source will show plain engine oil just fine.
Here's a great UV light I bought from Amazon.  Machined aluminum, bright,
and inexpensive.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SIR08C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_
search_detailpage
Karl

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]