Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air line adapters

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 18:57:58 -0800

I have several connectors and made short gender/style changing connectors to
keep from having to replace multiple fittings and for borrowed tools.

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Randall
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:17 PM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Air line adapters

> On another note, the cheap (HF) automotive connectors I have seem to 
> leak; do the industrial or non-HF ones hold air?

Is "automotive" the same thing as "Tru-Flate" ?
http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#6534kac/=10r8eum

I was set up with all industrial type, from what I thought was a good source
(not HF).  After a few years of only occasional service, they all leaked
enough to be annoying.  So I switched to the "Tru-Flate" style from MMC
about 10 years ago now, and I've been happy with them.  One or two of the
female couplers had a problem, but disassembling and cleaning the seal fixed
the leak.

RANDALL

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mike Rambour <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 07:48:03 -0800

I use exclusively Milton t-Style, switched to them decades ago. But I 
admit the only reason I did was that a auto body guy I knew quite well 
was retiring and gave me some air tools of his and that is what they had 
on them, since I had only one air tool and he gave me quite a few it 
made sense to switch and also that way I could go into the shop and use 
my tools in the shop when I needed a few extra dollars after school.

  I have never had any leak EXCEPT the Harbor Fright ones

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mli-s-783?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_fy0BRCwiLaQ5-iFgpwBEiQA884sOe17iJQf44KwK2O1boD1s5Kjp0yvotWz6y6rxk9_TXsaAoAj8P8HAQ

   Mike
On 1/19/2016 5:16 PM, Randall wrote:
>> On another note, the cheap (HF) automotive connectors I have
>> seem to leak; do the industrial or non-HF ones hold air?
> I was set up with all industrial type, from what I thought was a good source (not HF).  After a few years of only occasional
> service, they all leaked enough to be annoying.  So I switched to the "Tru-Flate" style from MMC about 10 years ago now, and I've
> been happy with them.  One or two of the female couplers had a problem, but disassembling and cleaning the seal fixed the leak.
>
> RANDALL
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>

-- 
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 15:49:54 +0000 (UTC)

--===============4991950627954086707==
	boundary="----=_Part_8499837_411588334.1453304994511"

------=_Part_8499837_411588334.1453304994511
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

They appear similar. 

----- Original Message -----

RANDALL 

------=_Part_8499837_411588334.1453304994511
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><body><div style=3D"font-family: Arial; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00"><div aria-label=3D"Compose body">They appear similar.<br></div><div><br=
></div><hr id=3D"zwchr"><div style=3D"color:#000;font-weight:normal;font-st=
yle:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font=
-size:12pt;" data-mce-style=3D"color: #000; font-weight: normal; font-style=
: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; f=
ont-size: 12pt;"><br><div><br></div><br>&gt; On another note, the cheap (HF=
) automotive connectors I have <br>&gt; seem to leak; do the industrial or =
non-HF ones hold air?<br><div><br></div>Is "automotive" the same thing as "=
Tru-Flate" ?<br>http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=3Dtrue#6534kac/=3D10r8eum<br><di=
v><br></div>I was set up with all industrial type, from what I thought was =
a good source (not HF). &nbsp;After a few years of only occasional<br>servi=
ce, they all leaked enough to be annoying. &nbsp;So I switched to the "Tru-=
Flate" style from MMC about 10 years ago now, and I've<br>been happy with t=
hem. &nbsp;One or two of the female couplers had a problem, but disassembli=
ng and cleaning the seal fixed the leak.<br><div><br></div>RANDALL<br><br><=
div><br></div></div><div><br></div></div></body></html>
------=_Part_8499837_411588334.1453304994511--

--===============4991950627954086707==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4991950627954086707==--

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 08:49:40 -0800

On 1/20/2016 7:48 AM, Mike Rambour wrote:
>
> I use exclusively Milton t-Style,

Yeah, the T-style is the Tru-Flate, I use the 3/8in Tru-Flate exclusively.

As far as leakage goes, my one lesson has been this: when I plumbed the 
garage for air a decade or so ago, I pointed all the quick-connect 
couplers down.

Bad idea.

Even with a fair amount of attention to drainage, and even with brass 
quick-connects, you still get just enough moisture in the lines to cause 
a little buildup and corrosion, and they'll end up sticky and leak-prone 
over time.

Keep them at least horizontal, try to use them all regularly, squirt a 
little WD-40 or something in there periodically when you do.

John.

[email-masked]