Subject: [Shop-talk] Sticking/Draging caliper

From: Matt Wehland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 19:17:55 -0600

The Left rear Caliper on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra has been giving me fits.
It is not releasing enough.
I am on at least my third replacement (Autozone, I know I normally try 
to buy decent parts)
Have changed guide pins (autozone supplied pins are undersized and let 
the caliper bang around, have real parts store pins that fit, but have 
tried the undersized ones again also).

The caliper seems to move freely before mounting.

I have a replacement brake hose but the connection for the brake hose is 
rusted and now the flare nut is stripped.
I will need to cut it off and replace the flare nut and add an 
extension, kind of a pain as I will have to work back under the car for 
a good place to splice it in.

What should I do next?
How do I diagnose this better?

Is it possible for the hose to be slightly blocked, allowing pressure to 
apply the brakes but keeping them from releasing?

If the caliper wasn't sliding freely the pad wear should be uneven, last 
caliper replacement ate a brand new set of pads in less than 2K miles, 
very even wear on both pads, nothing like I have gotten with stuck pins.

Something else in the braking system to look into.

Except for replacing the hose I do not know what else to do or even how 
to trouble shoot this one.

Thanks,

Matt

-- 
Matt Wehland
(815) 295-4533

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 20:15:02 -0800

> Just tried it, got a little fluid expelled, but no decrease in drag.
> 
> Even so, the more I think about it, the more I am leaning 
> towards hoses.

If opening the bleed valve didn't decrease the drag, then you're almost certainly looking at mechanical binding rather than a
hydraulic problem.  I've no idea what Hyundai rear calipers look like; but could it be the parking brake or its linkage/cable?

That's not to say the hoses couldn't need replacement as well.

Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 15:07:49 -0500 01/06/2016 15:07:32, Serialize complete at 01/06/2016 15:07:33, Serialize by Router on DOGBERT2/Megageek(Release 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/06/2016 15:07:33

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--===============6420451047023380871==

This is a multipart message in MIME format.
--=_alternative 00712BCA85257F32_=

If you're near NJ and want to put it on a lift in a heated garage, let me 
know.  I love to do brake work!

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson 
--=_alternative 00712BCA85257F32_=

<tt><font size=2>If you're near NJ and want to put it on a lift in a heated
garage, let me know. &nbsp;I love to do brake work!<br>
<br>
<br>
Sent&nbsp;from&nbsp;my&nbsp;Commodore&nbsp;64&nbsp;on&nbsp;a&nbsp;2400&nbsp;Baud&nbsp;Modem.<br>
Eric&nbsp;P<br>
&quot;Be&nbsp;as&nbsp;beneficent&nbsp;as&nbsp;the&nbsp;sun&nbsp;or&nbsp;the&nbsp;sea,&nbsp;but&nbsp;if&nbsp;your&nbsp;rights&nbsp;as&nbsp;a&nbsp;rational&nbsp;being&nbsp;are&nbsp;trenched&nbsp;on,&nbsp;die&nbsp;on&nbsp;the&nbsp;first&nbsp;inch&nbsp;of&nbsp;your&nbsp;territory.&quot;&nbsp;Ralph&nbsp;Waldo&nbsp;Emerson&nbsp;</font></tt>
--=_alternative 00712BCA85257F32_=--

--===============6420451047023380871==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============6420451047023380871==--