Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] flat screen tv to monitor

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 22:56:29 -0500

Any modern PC can drive a 1080p monitor.
It would be short-sighted to get anything less.
Even laptops have 1080p screens.

Doug

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 10:06 PM, john niolon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> looking to buy a smaller flat screen tv to use as a monitor on my
> desktop...
> probably around 30-32b ..    tried one of mine hooked up thru HDMI and it
> worked great... no more squinting.
> Wife said I couldnb t keep it...
>
> prices are getting good right now  but Ib m wondering if I should spend
> for a
> 1080 dpi over a 720 (cheaper)   can a pc push 1080 or is it a waste of
> money
>
> thanks
> John
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 20:00:00 -0800

John - I have a 27" TV/monitor for my computer.  It is running 1920 x 
1080 via a DVI cable.  The computer video is part of the motherboard - 
nothing fancy.  It is Windows 7 probably purchased in 2009.  For me, 27" 
is plenty big for sitting up close.  You can have two large windows 
running.  I will typically only use half the screen at a time and almost 
never have any window maximized.

When I put this setup together several years ago, the recommendation was 
DVI over HDMI for a computer monitor.  I don't remember the specific 
reasons why, but I'm happy with the setup.

Every so often I will connect my wife's laptop to our 32" 720 dpi TV to 
watch a movie or show pictures on a bigger screen.  All the Windows 
graphics are too big and it annoys me.  I much prefer the smaller icons 
on my 1080 screen.

I wouldn't think the price difference between 720 and 1080 is all that 
much factored over several years.  If my monitor every goes, there is no 
question I'll get another 1080 (or better).

Brian

On 12/6/2015 7:06 PM, john niolon wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> looking to buy a smaller flat screen tv to use as a monitor on my desktop...
> probably around 30-32b..    tried one of mine hooked up thru HDMI and it
> Wife said I couldnbt keep it...
>
> prices are getting good right now  but Ibm wondering if I should spend for a
> 1080 dpi over a 720 (cheaper)   can a pc push 1080 or is it a waste of money
>
> thanks
> John
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jimmie Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 00:18:36 -0500

One thing to keep in mind:  if you're planning to use this solely as a 
PC monitor, you might well consider looking for a PC monitor that size 
instead of a TV.  With a TV, you'll be paying for digital tuners, remote 
controls, speakers, etc that you'll probably never use in a PC setup.  
That said, there's probably not much market for large low-resolution PC 
monitors (believe it or not, for a PC monitor that size, 1080 is pretty 
low resolution) so 32" TVs might still be cheaper simply due to economy 
of scale.  But it's worth checking into.

To answer your other question...any PC made within the last 7-10 years 
should have enough horsepower to drive a 1080p display.  If it has an 
HDMI or DisplayPort output, you're probably good to go.

On 12/06/15 22:06, john niolon wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: John Innis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 09:09:55 -0600

1080p is the minimum resolution for a computer monitor made in the last 20
years.  I have a CRT computer monitor from 1997 that will do better than
that.  I used it with a pentium 1 processor and graphics card from that
era.  Any computer you are likely to still be using can do 1600x1200, which
is much better than 1080p.  Remember that 1080 is meant for watching movies
from across the room, not looking at text and graphics from across your
desk.  If you are getting a monitor that large and want to use it for
normal PC tasks, get one that is 4k or does at least 1600x1200.  I have to
use a 1080 monitor at work, all day every day, and I hate it.

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 9:06 PM, john niolon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
=================================
= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =
=================================
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]