Subject: [Shop-talk] Outlook help?

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 18:58:19 -0800

I need some help with Outlook, specifically Outlook 10 and an Exchange 
server.  Shop content- I'm a shop teacher and I use it at school....

I got a new Surface 3 recently.  I got my school email to come up fine 
both on Outlook 365 (web based) and via the Mail app on Windows 10.  My 
credentials went right through and the mail comes down from the 
District's Exchange server just fine.  They will both do in a pinch, but 
they are not ideal for any kind of heavy duty email use.

I installed Outlook 10 on the machine from DVDs (this is the full meal 
deal Outlook, not the web version) and all of the applications work, 
including Outlook.  I got my home POP 3 email account working just 
fine.  The problem is getting the district's Exchange server to work.  I 
can set up the account without any trouble; it goes through the entire 
New Account process, accepts my user name and password and seems to have 
the account all set up.  When you close the New Account dialog box and 
log in for the first time you get an authentication box where you have 
to enter your user name and password yet again, and this is where the 
system is hanging up.  It just keeps asking for my user name and 
password over and over, and never logs in.  We even changed my password 
and it's still doing the same thing.  The District IT guy is just as 
stumped as I am; we spent nearly an hour trying to get it to work 
yesterday.

If anyone is an Outlook Ninja and has any suggestions, I would love to 
hear them.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 21:34:12 -0800

Your Windoze login at home and at school are different domains. Rather 
than just logging in with your username, you might have to use the 
domain and username.  The format would be something like domain\username 
- this is something I have to do when I access one particular company 
network from home.

My company also doesn't allow non-VPN connections to the mail server 
from outside the corporate network (like home) as a security practice.

If you are allowed, you could always bring the Surface to school and try 
and connect from inside the network to help troubleshoot.

Brian

On 12/1/2015 6:58 PM, Dave Cavanaugh wrote:
> both on Outlook 365 (web based) and via the Mail app on Windows 10.  
> My credentials went right through and the mail comes down from the 
> District's Exchange server just fine.  They will both do in a pinch, 
> but they are not ideal for any kind of heavy duty email use.
>
> fine.  The problem is getting the district's Exchange server to work.  
> I can set up the account without any trouble; it goes through the 
> entire New Account process, accepts my user name and password and 
> seems to have the account all set up.  When you close the New Account 
> dialog box and log in for the first time you get an authentication box 
> where you have to enter your user name and password yet again, and 
> this is where the system is hanging up.  It just keeps asking for my 
> user name and password over and over, and never logs in.  We even 
> changed my password and it's still doing the same thing.  The District 
> IT guy is just as stumped as I am; we spent nearly an hour trying to 
> get it to work yesterday.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]