Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Gluing an awkward shape

From: Dwade Reinsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 18:12:11 +0000 (UTC)

I often use blue painter's tape to hold small things together while glue
dries.
Just be careful to not let lots of glue come out of the joint and glue to the
tape.

DwadeWylie, TX
      From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
 To: Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
 Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:44 AM
 Subject: [Shop-talk] Gluing an awkward shape

My cousin just asked me to try to repair a wooden giraffe carving he
purchased
many years ago in Africa.B  The statue (I think it is about 1 ft tall) fell
and
broke into three pieces: the bottom of the neck snapped off from the body and
the body snapped off from the base.B  Ibm game to give it a try, but stuck
trying to figure out how to excerpt proper clamping force on the two joints,
especially the neck joint. Are the special clamps that might do the trick, or
special tricks that anyone knows?

Thanks,
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 13:21:03 -0500

On 11/25/2015 12:44 PM, Jim Stone wrote:
> My cousin just asked me to try to repair a wooden giraffe carving he purchased
> many years ago in Africa.  The statue (I think it is about 1 ft tall) fell and
> the body snapped off from the base.  Ibm game to give it a try, but stuck
Dowels and centering point.  Something like:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/153552/8pc-Dowel-Tenon-Center-Set.aspx?gclid=CKvLrpqYrMkCFUYWHwodgbAFDQ
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 13:26:57 -0500

> http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/153552/8pc-Dowel-Tenon-Center-Set.aspx?gclid=CKvLrpqYrMkCFUYWHwodgbAFDQ 
You could also use fast setting epoxy and just hold it together.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 13:00:29 -0800

Depending on geometry and size, I have found rubber bands work well.  
Best to use many small ones instead of a few big ones, as the large ones 
will distort the structure at the joints.  This goes without saying, but 
I'll say it anyway (!); the main thing is to let it dry completely

Mike

On 11/25/2015 9:44 AM, Jim Stone wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 

[email-masked]

---

From: Neil Sherry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 22:30:34 +0000

You could reinforce gluing with steel pins, suitably concealed

On 25 November 2015 21:00:29 GMT+00:00, Mike <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>>
>>
>
>-- 
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 15:02:27 -0800

If this is a small piece and super glue type glue would work, you can 
buy super glue accelerator spray, and put the super glue on one part, 
spray the accelerator on the other part and as soon as you put the 
pieces together, they are stuck.  Make sure everything fits because you 
only get one shot.

"Superglue" has come a long way, there are lots of isocyanurate glues 
these days and one of them might work.
> http://www.rockler.com/adhesives/ca-glue

On 11/25/2015 9:44 AM, Jim Stone wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 15:42:37 -0800

Rubber bands.  Make them just tight enough to hold the joint together and
squeeze out any excess glue.  They are inexpensive, come in a variety of
sizes and most importantly, keep a constant tension and do not slip.

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dwade
Reinsch
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:12 AM
To: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>; Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Gluing an awkward shape

I often use blue painter's tape to hold small things together while glue
dries.
Just be careful to not let lots of glue come out of the joint and glue to
the
tape.

DwadeWylie, TX

My cousin just asked me to try to repair a wooden giraffe carving he
purchased
many years ago in Africa.B  The statue (I think it is about 1 ft tall) fell
and
broke into three pieces: the bottom of the neck snapped off from the body
and
the body snapped off from the base.B  Ibm game to give it a try, but stuck
trying to figure out how to excerpt proper clamping force on the two joints,
especially the neck joint. Are the special clamps that might do the trick,
or
special tricks that anyone knows?

Thanks,

[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 09:27:30 -0500

On 11/25/2015 6:02 PM, Dave Cavanaugh wrote:
> pieces together, they are stuck.  Make sure everything fits because 
> you only get one shot.
>
Word of caution.  Superglue does not fill gaps well.  It's likely the 
wood has moved either from moisture or release of tension, so will have 
gaps.
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bob Kegel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 17:02:54 -0800 s=q20140121; t=1448586188; bh=O/omIMWbZkGIPBuOYg6oUN34YUd6edyqemU7Lv+POLo=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=scPm2NF9k9PmNGIy1D7WG70tUufMI9LyX9Gus44FHPzmkSt/O/E5ffHCeB5oM23Jo Q5JplmCf4+/k2owyCoPTIt+MwhWp4rw/1F5NQ6+XzARnEDDr0V8Xm6cLPbKdQ/ZIKI rFO5PN3IbVf52UumIiHHPW+Oztypj33ytRSftX9C9MXpGSLyV3LDBuTqwBYexLzxeG wLEahyslX/RwB1j4IFhdLob3I8vFZcaOHVKIawOlJ7UBZAePdiB+m4sPkJqNfNMtOn QCFO7jMCaHRzqiQrDz2rp/apFa3WcTLgeOuqr6LrBS7QnzClBLytyV6BCXX9I7Vlxa T1l4DzfGqlNOA==

> Superglue does not fill gaps well.

True. Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) or saw dust can used as a filler with 
the cyanoacrylate adhesive applied over it. The process is exothermic and 
produces toxic fumes; use carefully.

Bob K 

[email-masked]