Subject: [Shop-talk] Gluing an awkward shape

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 12:44:28 -0500

My cousin just asked me to try to repair a wooden giraffe carving he purchased
many years ago in Africa.  The statue (I think it is about 1 ft tall) fell and
broke into three pieces: the bottom of the neck snapped off from the body and
the body snapped off from the base.  Ibm game to give it a try, but stuck
trying to figure out how to excerpt proper clamping force on the two joints,
especially the neck joint. Are the special clamps that might do the trick, or
special tricks that anyone knows?

Thanks,
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 14:53:37 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

I second the painter's tape for the neck.  Apply glue and push it together.
Wipe off any squeeze out then apply the tape to the neck.  If the joint is
rough enough that it doesn't slip, you may be able to put a thin rubber band
or two hooked around a leg over the head.  Test it first of course to make
sure it is stable.  If the body is heavy enough, the body to the base might
only need gravity.  I would probably do each part by itself and let the joint
dry.  It sounds like this is just decorative, so you don't need the structural
strength of a table or chair.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
>From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Nov 25, 2015 9:44 AM
>To: Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
>Subject: [Shop-talk] Gluing an awkward shape
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]