Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Gluing an awkward shape

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 17:57:25 -0500

Thanks guys.  Lots of good suggestions.  I am heading to my cousinbs house
tomorrow and bring an assortment of glues, pins, tape and rubber bands, so I
will see the giraffe then and make the final call on which of the methods will
work best.  I feel more confident of success than I did just a few hours ago!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Jim

> On Nov 25, 2015, at 5:53 PM, Brian Kemp <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I second the painter's tape for the neck.  Apply glue and push it together.
Wipe off any squeeze out then apply the tape to the neck.  If the joint is
rough enough that it doesn't slip, you may be able to put a thin rubber band
or two hooked around a leg over the head.  Test it first of course to make
sure it is stable.  If the body is heavy enough, the body to the base might
only need gravity.  I would probably do each part by itself and let the joint
dry.  It sounds like this is just decorative, so you don't need the structural
strength of a table or chair.
>
> Brian
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
>> Sent: Nov 25, 2015 9:44 AM
>> To: Shop Talk <[email-masked]>
>> Subject: [Shop-talk] Gluing an awkward shape
>>
>> My cousin just asked me to try to repair a wooden giraffe carving he
purchased
>> many years ago in Africa.  The statue (I think it is about 1 ft tall) fell
and
>> broke into three pieces: the bottom of the neck snapped off from the body
and
>> the body snapped off from the base.  Ibm game to give it a try, but stuck
>> trying to figure out how to excerpt proper clamping force on the two
joints,
>> especially the neck joint. Are the special clamps that might do the trick,
or
>> special tricks that anyone knows?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> _______________________________________________
>>
>> [email-masked]
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 17:23:57 -0800

> work best.  I feel more confident of success than I did just a few hours ago!

Another option depending on how much time, money, and force is involved 
and whether you need alignment or just clamping, is to squirt some 
spray-foam insulation or whatever into a plastic bag and squish it down 
on one side, if necessary the same on the other, before clamping them 
with a bar clamp or whatever as the foam firms.

Just don't let the gooey foam get on the workpieces.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 20:46:47 -0500

That is a very clever idea!  Even if I donbt use it this time, I will
definitely file it away for the future.  Thanks.

> On Nov 25, 2015, at 8:23 PM, John Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Another option depending on how much time, money, and force is involved and
whether you need alignment or just clamping, is to squirt some spray-foam
insulation or whatever into a plastic bag and squish it down on one side, if
necessary the same on the other, before clamping them with a bar clamp or
whatever as the foam firms.
> Just don't let the gooey foam get on the workpieces.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]