Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rats!

From: Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 20:44:31 -0500

Rat terrier, or cats.
On Oct 19, 2015 8:43 PM, "Mark J Bradakis" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So I am renting a plot at a community garden around the corner. Turns out
> we have a bit of a rat problem.
> Saw one last evening while weeding my plot. Any innovative suggestions for
> curbing the rat population?
> I'd like to get a big python to slither around, but that may not be an
> option.
>
> mjb.
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Tony Vaccaro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 21:46:04 -0400

Ultrasonics but I don't know how you would power them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark
J Bradakis
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 5:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] Rats!

So I am renting a plot at a community garden around the corner. Turns out we
have a bit of a rat problem.
Saw one last evening while weeding my plot. Any innovative suggestions for
curbing the rat population?
I'd like to get a big python to slither around, but that may not be an
option.

mjb.

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 19:21:30 -0700

Cats!

Seriously, traps are the way to go if you can place them to avoid pets and
kids.  In the neighborhood you need to avoid poisons especially with pets
and kids around.  You may be successful with the humane non-lethal kind.
You can always lethal-ize them later on.

A developer took down and greenhouse and sheep pasture a few years back and
we had an immediate infestation in the house.  I placed traps and used
cheese, salami and some other foods.  The salami traps accounted for 80% of
the kills, sometimes three times a day, so that is what I suggest as
non-poison bait.  

Mark, are the rats causing an issue in the garden or just present?

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark
J Bradakis
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 2:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] Rats!

mjb.

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 22:37:23 -0400

Do rats eat vegetables?
Or are they essentially bald-tailed squirrels?

Where I live, the deer eat most of the vegetables...

Doug

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 22:24:04 -0500

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 9:12 PM, Todd Walke <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>         Contrac Blox is only available on the site in 18lb buckets.  Federal
> law restricts sale of the 4lb pails, but there are sellers on eBay that'll
> sell them anyway.  4lbs lasts me for more than a year, with 6 stations
> around my house.  There are other baits available that can be sold in 4lb
> pails.

Is there a reason for that?  That seems sort of nuts. I can buy 16
pounds of the stuff, but not 4?  Having to drop 80 bucks instead of 20
is going to keep me from using it wrong?

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]> mail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 20:43:11 -0700

>is going to keep me from using it wrong?

         It's the Feds, nothing they do makes sense.  Probably just a bunch 
of ineffectual middle management suckups sitting around making new regs 
just to justify their paychecks.

         All it said on the site was "Due to the EPA regulations passed on 
June 4, 2011, Contrac Blox can now only be sold in at least 16 pounds, 
which is why we have to sell the 4lb pail by the case."  I get my 4lb pails 
on eBay, or there are other baits that can be sold in smaller quanitities.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       538,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 23:31:22 -0500

> is going to keep me from using it wrong?

So I found the regulation in question:

 http://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?documentId=EPA-HQ-OPP-2006-0955-0
764&disposition=attachment&contentType=pdf

which says, among much else,

b" To reduce wildlife exposures and ecological risks, the Agency will
require sale and distribution limits intended to prevent general
consumers from purchasing residential use bait products containing
four of the ten rodenticides that pose the greatest risk to wildlife
(the second generation anticoagulants b brodifacoum, bromadiolone,
difenacoum, and difethialone). Moreover, bait stations will be
required for all outdoor, above-ground uses of these second
generation- anticoagulants.

there's also discussion that you're not going to be able to get it the
grocery store or hardware store because they won't stock stuff that
big, and that agricultural and industrial users will have access to
them.

Not at all incidentally, the same RMD prohibits non-professional use
in residential settings.  (The concern is that the vermin will eat
super-lethal doses, and then be eaten by something else, and that
something else is poisoned.  That's not considered a risk in other
settings because of greater availability of other food sources.)

[email-masked]