Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] network mechanics

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 16:51:50 -0700

Matt,

I am no expert, but I was working through the same issue, as I had another
router (/Belkin) lying around.  What I determined, with their tech support,
was that you can program the second router with the same SSID/password, but
when you are connected to one router and move to another area, your device
will likely "hold onto" the first router as the signal gets weaker and
weaker until the signal is lost.  It will then seek and find the closer
router.  

The path they suggested was to purchase a range extender instead.  I chose
not to do this, as I was looking to use the spare equipment to improve the
marginal signal in one small area and it was not worth the money to buy a
new device.  

I am sure someone with real knowledge will chime in shortly,

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 10:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] network mechanics

 This may ultimately result in getting wifi out in the shop...I recall
previous discussion on this but didn't save it.  The wife is kicking my
workstation out of the kitchen and into an office on the second floor.Our
cable comes into the house in the kitchen and the cable modem is there with
our current router.I am planning to buy a box of cable and fish some 5e up
to
connect the computer - less than 50 feet.It occurs to me that I have a
couple
of old b/g routers available, can I simply daisy chain them with the same
SSID
& password?If so, I think I will run a longer cable (100')  and put a router
out on the gable end - that should provide plenty of signal in the shop. Any
thoughts or guidance?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Tony Vaccaro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 20:08:57 -0400

Guys, I do this all day every day. What you want is Ubiquiti UniFi Long
Range Access Point

Get it Amazon or Newegg.

We install a lot of these and the range is unbelievable. Use your router for
wired and disable the wireless.  Then use the Unifi for your wireless. Plus
they have a lot of cool new products for transmitting wireless signals over
distance.

Great product. In the past year we have installed more than 75 of these.

Tony Vaccaro
www.lotusowners.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jack
Brooks
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 7:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] network mechanics

Matt,

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 10:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] network mechanics

 This may ultimately result in getting wifi out in the shop...I recall
previous discussion on this but didn't save it.  The wife is kicking my
workstation out of the kitchen and into an office on the second floor.Our
cable comes into the house in the kitchen and the cable modem is there with
our current router.I am planning to buy a box of cable and fish some 5e up
to connect the computer - less than 50 feet.It occurs to me that I have a
couple of old b/g routers available, can I simply daisy chain them with the
same SSID & password?If so, I think I will run a longer cable (100')  and
put a router out on the gable end - that should provide plenty of signal in
the shop. Any thoughts or guidance?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jimmie Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 20:24:00 -0400

There shouldn't  be any problems with multiple access points on the same 
network with the same SSID/password.  Just make sure you configure the 
additional devices to operate as access points and not routers (you 
don't want multiple routers handing out IP addresses).  Modern WIFI 
clients are smart enough to seamlessly switch between access points as 
you move around your house/yard/workshop (not unlike the way your 
cellphone (generally) seamlessly switches between towers).

You mentioned using some old B/G routers as your access points. That's 
fine.  I assume this means that you've upgraded your network to N or one 
of the newer ACxxxx flavors.  If that's the case then be aware that 
mixing 2.4ghz B/G devices and 2.4ghz N devices on the same network can 
cause performance problems (obviously anything operating on 5ghz 
frequencies will be unaffected).  Whether or not you'll be affected by 
this depends on the client devices you'll be using (phones, tablets, 
laptops, etc) and what kind of network activity they perform.  If your 
devices are just checking mail for the most part then you probably won't 
notice.  If you're streaming video, then you might need to rethink things.

(By the way, if your B/G routers are old, you might want to check if 
there exists a third party firmware image from the likes of DD-WRT, 
OpenWRT or Tomato.  These firmwares tend to be far more full-featured 
and more secure than OEM.)

On 10/26/15 13:49, Matt wrote:
> our current router.I am planning to buy a box of cable and fish some 5e up to
> connect the computer - less than 50 feet.It occurs to me that I have a couple
> of old b/g routers available, can I simply daisy chain them with the same SSID
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 21:12:43 -0700

Tony,

Have you found a similar device for 802.11AC?

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Vaccaro [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 5:09 PM
To: 'Jack Brooks'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Shop-talk] network mechanics

Get it Amazon or Newegg.

Tony Vaccaro
www.lotusowners.com

-----Original Message-----

Matt,

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 10:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] network mechanics

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 18:44:10 -0500

> On Oct 26, 2015, at 23:12, Jack Brooks <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Tony,
>

Ubiqti have announced new 802.11ac products. I don't know if they are
available yet or not. Their previous ac stuff was overpriced and
underperforming.  If the new stuff works as well, it'll be a good deal.

We have Ubiqti stuff at work. It just works, and forms a proper mesh, where a
device can move from one ap to another seamlessly. It's trivial to add or
remove aps or change network configuration.  There's a Java control app that
you use for that, it doesn't need to run all the time unless you want to use
some of the advanced access control stuff.

It makes it clear what crap consumer grade wifi stuff is

[email-masked]