Subject: [Shop-talk] Connecting a remote tank to main system?

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 10:31:47 -0500

We're using rainwater collection at our place. The original setup is pretty
straight forward, guttering off of a shed roof with several levels of
initial filtering before the water goes into the tank farm with main
filtering and treatment between the tanks and the feed line into the house.
Recently we added an additional 300 square foot roof on the porch and I
want to collect and get the water from the porch roof into the system.

I'm thinking I should be able to collect this water in a decorative barrel
or tank and pump it into the main line, preferably ahead of the first flush
filters. This would involve pumping the water around 35 feet horizontally
from the front of the house to the back and up maybe 12 to 15 feet.

Shouldn't I be able to use a sump pump to accomplish this? Are there models
rated for potable water. I'm doing on-line research but I thought I'd throw
the question out to the group, too. However I accomplish this I plan on
doing something similar on a large shop I'll have built not too far from
the house. Collect the water in a smaller tank using a series of screening
and filtering methods, then pump it into the main tanks.

Thoughts, ideas, questions?

Thanks,
Ron
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive