Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] spam email just keeps on coming

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 20:19:50 +0000

Please send all replies to the group as I have an email address that is
equally as bad but doesn't block addresses like this outlook site does.
Thanks

________________________________________
From: Shop-talk <[email-masked]> on behalf of john niolon
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2015 3:16 PM
To: shop-talk
Subject: [Shop-talk] spam email just keeps on coming

need some email/internet gurus help here.........over the last month Ibve
started getting a mess of spam email...  I know I picked this up somewhere
but
that doesnbt matter now

there are    offers from Italy vacations, Jet rentals, suv bargains, dental
implants, medicare plans,  voip phone services etc  even an .eu domain
telling
me my local drug store points are going to expire !!

they all come in two at a time... identical sending addresses and most from
b.eub addresses... each time... I block them but  they will change one
character or word in their domain names like

[email-masked]           or [email-masked]     I
keep blocking names and domains but they are never the same... Ibve probably
got 300 blocked domain names now

either their unsubscribe link is blank or it takes me to a site that
bitdefender says bdonbt go there, buddyb   probably wouldnbt do
anything but tell them I have an active address anyway...

Anyone have a way to stop this...  Ibm probably getting 30 to 40 a day

is it just my time in the barrel...   Ibd love to find a way to stop them
for sure

thanks
John
_______________________________________________
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 15:50:14 -0500

I moved all of my list subscription, cars, video editing, computers, etc,,
to gmail a couple of years ago and while some spam does get through their
filters it's not many, so you might consider that.

One of the big causes of spam for me is people who send out an email to a
number of recipients and put everybody's address in the "TO:..." box. If
anyone :Replies to all..." or "FWDs:..." the message it exposes all of the
addresses to spambots which harvest them, and then you start getting all
manner of offers! Gmail's spam filters do a good jobs of filtering the
signal from the noise. Not perfect, but very good.

FWIW,
Ron

[email-masked]

---

From: RandE <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 16:23:43 -0500

If it is spam don't use the unsubscribe link.  The spammers won't honor it
and using it just confirms to the spammers that they have a legitimate
address to keep sending to.

Randy

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 3:16 PM, john niolon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> need some email/internet gurus help here.........over the last month Ib ve
> that doesnb t matter now
> b .eub  addresses... each time... I block them but  they will change one
> keep blocking names and domains but they are never the same... Ib ve
> probably
> bitdefender says b donb t go there, buddyb    probably wouldnb t do
> Anyone have a way to stop this...  Ib m probably getting 30 to 40 a day
>
> is it just my time in the barrel...   Ib d love to find a way to stop them
> for sure
>
> thanks
> John
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 17:34:44 -0400

> Anyone have a way to stop this...  Ibm probably getting 30 to 40 a day

I get about 5-10 times that. You can't fight it. Change your address. Never
click on any links, there is no "unsubscribe", just confirmation that the
email is valid, or a virus...

My gmail account gets none, I thought it was that I keep that one close to
home, but maybe google knows a lot more about spam?

jim

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 18:05:07 -0400

You guys are making this way harder than it needs to be.

Get yourself a gmail account.  They do a phenomenal job of filtering out
the spam.  If you want to keep your current email address, forward it to
your new gmail account.

Nobody does email better than Google right now.  Start enjoying it.

-Paul

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Right.  Never unsubscribe from anything that you didn't subscribe to in the
> first place; and never click on any links in the spam.
> Verified addresses are worth money, so any kind of a response from you
> guarantees that the spammer will be selling your email
> address to other spammers for years to come.
>
> And the links very often lead to various kinds of malware attacks, virus
> downloads and such.  Easy way to get infected.
>
> Ok, this is really tedious, and takes time to start working.  But it does
> work
> eventually.  You have to learn how to first find and
> then read the email header, so you can find what IP address supplied the
> spam.
> In Outlook 2003, click on Tools/Options, then copy
> the text from the little window into a new text file.
>
> Now look up that IP address on one of the many sites that will do a
> reverse IP
> lookup for you, to find the ISP that owns the address
> that provided the spam.
>
> If it's a reputable ISP (or located in a country where you might want to
> correspond with a resident), then fire off an email to the
> "abuse" email address listed with a copy to the "admin".  State your case
> simply and politely, just "I received unsolicited
> commercial email (spam) from a site in your domain.  Please take
> appropriate
> steps to ensure this does not happen again."; and
> include the original header and message (without attachments or HTML).
> Typically you won't get anything back except maybe a canned
> "Your complaint has been received"; but typically you won't hear from that
> spammer again either.
>
> More often, it will be one of the many "spam havens" in places like Russia
> or
> Nigeria.  In that case, just set up a rule that moves
> anything from that block of IP addresses to your spam folder.  They will
> keep
> spamming you for awhile, but eventually quit when they
> never get a response.  At the peak, I had probably 150 such rules and
> hundreds
> of spams a week, but now I get almost no spam at all
> (maybe 2 or 3 per week).  In the meantime, you'll have to scan the folder
> occasionally for messages that weren't spam, and possibly
> delete the associated rule.  Some honest people use the same ISPs that
> harbor
> spammers, so this is only a 99% solution, not 100%.
>
> Randall
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 18:53:41 -0600

Spam exists because spam works. Sure, you may get a 0.00001% success rate, but when you send out millions
and millions of emails, that miniscule percentage translates to profits.

The Team.Net mail server gets a lot of spam. These list addresses have been around for decades, all the
spammers have them. About 200 messages per day get caught by the postfix filters. I need to work on the
filters to start trying to catch some of this season's letters from Santa campaigns.

About 5 - 600 get through to the mailman filters and are caught there. Ones that are held for administrator
approval ( that's me ) currently number 16,995. I'll see how many more come in by the time I am done writing
this. So at least these Team.Net lists are not a source of spam, that's why you folks pay me the big bucks

Fun.

mjb, overpaid and underworked, as usual.

PS: Only 5 more came in while typing this. Not bad.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]