Subject: [Shop-talk] brushed vs. brushless cordless hammer drill

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 07:51:52 -0700

I am in the market for a replacement hammer drill and am looking for 
opinions on stepping up to a brushless model.  I have existing Makita 
18V products and a fresh pair of 3 AH batteries, so am looking at a 
cordless version to be compatible.  Since I have batteries and a 
charger, the bare drill is an option.

I seem to get about 5 years out of a $30 corded Harbor Freight hammer 
drill, which is fair, but I'm tired of them dying when I need them.  I 
have a Harbor Freight SDS rotary hammer drill for bigger drilling, so 
really just want a good drill for more precision type holes in concrete 
and stucco.

I saw this $99 kit:
Makita XPH012 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2-Inch Hammer Driver-Drill 
Kit with One Battery

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-XPH012-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Driver-Drill/dp/B00N9ULIAE/
and
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Hammer-Driver-Drill-Kit-XPH012/205382798
It is basically a free drill, case, and newer charger for the price of a 
battery.  Reviews are really good.

I also say the $119 drill only:
Makita XPH06Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2" Hammer Driver 
Drill (Tool-Only)

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-XPH06Z-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Tool-Only/dp/B00I30LJ6S/
and
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-in-Cordless-Hammer-Driver-Drill-Tool-Only-XPH06Z/204961959

I like the details about the brushless motor being much better, but 
don't know how much of the product description is sales propaganda vs. 
brushless being that much better than the base model.  I also like the 
greater torque of the brushless.  I have one of the white Makita 18V 
drills and bog it down at times, so could use more power.

I also like the  Model XPH07Z with double the power, but don't want to 
break a wrist.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Brian
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 11:06:32 -0500

On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Brian Kemp <[email-masked]> wrote:
> opinions on stepping up to a brushless model.  I have existing Makita 18V
> products and a fresh pair of 3 AH batteries, so am looking at a cordless
> version to be compatible.  Since I have batteries and a charger, the bare
> drill is an option.
>

For $20 difference, get the brushless one.  LIghter, more powerful,
lasts longer.
It's a hammer drill, don't over think it...

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

[email-masked]