Subject: [Shop-talk] spam email just keeps on coming

From: "john niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 15:16:19 -0500

need some email/internet gurus help here.........over the last month Ibve
started getting a mess of spam email...  I know I picked this up somewhere but
that doesnbt matter now

there are    offers from Italy vacations, Jet rentals, suv bargains, dental
implants, medicare plans,  voip phone services etc  even an .eu domain telling
me my local drug store points are going to expire !!

they all come in two at a time... identical sending addresses and most from
b.eub addresses... each time... I block them but  they will change one
character or word in their domain names like

[email-masked]           or [email-masked]     I
keep blocking names and domains but they are never the same... Ibve probably
got 300 blocked domain names now

either their unsubscribe link is blank or it takes me to a site that
bitdefender says bdonbt go there, buddyb   probably wouldnbt do
anything but tell them I have an active address anyway...

Anyone have a way to stop this...  Ibm probably getting 30 to 40 a day

is it just my time in the barrel...   Ibd love to find a way to stop them
for sure

thanks
John
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 15:02:19 -0700

> anything but tell them I have an active address anyway...

Right.  Never unsubscribe from anything that you didn't subscribe to in the
first place; and never click on any links in the spam.
Verified addresses are worth money, so any kind of a response from you
guarantees that the spammer will be selling your email
address to other spammers for years to come.

And the links very often lead to various kinds of malware attacks, virus
downloads and such.  Easy way to get infected.

> Anyone have a way to stop this...  Ibm probably getting 30

Ok, this is really tedious, and takes time to start working.  But it does work
eventually.  You have to learn how to first find and
then read the email header, so you can find what IP address supplied the spam.
In Outlook 2003, click on Tools/Options, then copy
the text from the little window into a new text file.

Now look up that IP address on one of the many sites that will do a reverse IP
lookup for you, to find the ISP that owns the address
that provided the spam.

If it's a reputable ISP (or located in a country where you might want to
correspond with a resident), then fire off an email to the
"abuse" email address listed with a copy to the "admin".  State your case
simply and politely, just "I received unsolicited
commercial email (spam) from a site in your domain.  Please take appropriate
steps to ensure this does not happen again."; and
include the original header and message (without attachments or HTML).
Typically you won't get anything back except maybe a canned
"Your complaint has been received"; but typically you won't hear from that
spammer again either.

More often, it will be one of the many "spam havens" in places like Russia or
Nigeria.  In that case, just set up a rule that moves
anything from that block of IP addresses to your spam folder.  They will keep
spamming you for awhile, but eventually quit when they
never get a response.  At the peak, I had probably 150 such rules and hundreds
of spams a week, but now I get almost no spam at all
(maybe 2 or 3 per week).  In the meantime, you'll have to scan the folder
occasionally for messages that weren't spam, and possibly
delete the associated rule.  Some honest people use the same ISPs that harbor
spammers, so this is only a 99% solution, not 100%.

Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 15:42:02 -0700

> Get yourself a gmail account.  They do a phenomenal job of 
> filtering out
> the spam. 

Yeah, but they also filter some non-spam, and there is no way for you to get it back, or even know that it was sent.  I gave up on
sending encrypted files through Gmail because so many of them just never show up.  (And no, they weren't spam or viruses.)

It also seems that their POP3 interface goes down at least once a month, and sometimes several times per day.  Very annoying, as my
email client thinks Gmail rejected the password and hangs waiting for me to enter the correct one.

-- Randall  

[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]> localhost.scooter.p.blarg.net
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 17:41:41 -0700

Sometimes you just get on a list somewhere and you get flooded 
with spam for awhile, then it goes away then back again.  All a part of 
being on an Internet with no controls on who gets on the system.

         I use a local ISP (Avvanta.com) that has a spam filter.  It 
catches 20-50 spam emails per day.  It stores them on their server so I can 
check what they caught for any legit stuff that got flagged by the 
filter.  I can whitelist those addresses so that doesn't happen again.  The 
filter is rule based, putting a score on each email.  I can adjust the 
threshold score that causes email to be marked spam to find a balance 
between letting good stuff in and keeping the bad out.

         Also, when I updated to the latest version of Norton AntiVirus, it 
included a spam filter for email that catches the remaining 5-10 per day 
that get through Avvanta.  It adds "Norton AntiSpam" to the subject 
line.  I have my email program dump email with those words in the subject 
line into a spam folder which I check regularly to see if anything legit is 
in there.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       539,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]