Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Looking for GPS recommendations

From: Brian Kennedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 13:34:46 -0400

I've had/have several Garmins and an in car GPS. Since I keep my cars forever,
I'll never get an in car one again due to obsolescence and I don't like having
to look down to see it.  I put my Garmins in the lower left windshield. It's
easy to see and reach and doesn't obscure my view. The phone GPS is OK, but
I'd only use it when a passenger can help. Of course, get the lifetime
updates. The thing I like best is the traffic feature. I use my GPS locally
just to get the traffic information. It's not perfect, of course, but it's
saved me a lot of time on occasion. I also like to be able to turn off the
expressway access in the cities so I don't get hung up in long lines. It is
not perfect, of course, and a peek at the route beforehand can save you some
grief, or, if you're an optimist, new sights.  I did have one fail and Garmin
promptly replaced it, so I'm happy with the service so far.
Brian K

On Sep 14, 2015, at 12:35 PM, Randall wrote:

>> Lifetime map updates - don't buy without this feature.  Map updatess
>> can cost as much as a whole new unit...
>
> I agree entirely, but don't expect too much from the updates.  I updated my
Nuvi just before leaving home on a road trip a few
> months ago, and found at least a half dozen places where the updated map did
not match the actual road.  Some of the incorrect roads
> had been changed recently (within the past year), but others were at least
several years old.  We also found a restaurant listing
> where a new restaurant was listed in the same location, but the old one had
not been deleted; plus several more that just weren't
> there (and no sign they had been there recently).
>
> The Nuvi also doesn't tell you about roads that are only passable at certain
times; eg ferries that don't run on some days or fords
> that are impassable when the water is high.
>
> OTOH, Google maps seems to usually think such things just don't exist.  My
brother-in-law's smart phone was going to route us 50+
> miles out of the way, instead of waiting 10 minutes for the next ferry.
>
> -- Randall
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 14:25:01 -0400

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Brian Kennedy <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The thing I like best is the traffic feature. I use my GPS locally
> just to get the traffic information.

For the smartphone crowd, there's an app called Waze...it uses your
motion data to create a picture of the spots where traffic might not
be moving.  Also locates accidents, cops hiding behind billboards,
etc.

https://www.waze.com/

The usual privacy questions arise, but privacy is an illusion these days...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 14:30:29 -0400

They are generally overpriced, and although updates are often 
available, the update alone costs more than a new Garmin unit.  I 
kind of like the built in aspect, not having some thing sitting on my 
dash or stuck to my window.  My wife has a Toyota Venza with built-in 
nav, and it refuses to allow most interaction while the car is 
moving.  I get the safety concern, but it is frustrating as hell when 
we are together and the passenger is trying to use it.

-Steve

At 01:34 PM 9/14/2015, Brian Kennedy wrote:
>to look down to see it.

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Rambour <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 11:34:05 -0700

another option is to find a old phone (one with a big screen) and use 
it as a GPS withOUT service.  I travel to Europe frequently and I don't 
have (or don't want to pay for phone service) while I am there.  I 
purchased TomTom software for the phone with maps built-in.  It does NOT 
need service or the internet to work, the negative is that the maps, 
etc. took a 1.5 gigs of space on the phone and of course its not up to 
date like Google maps are but TomTom (I assume all the others also) give 
free maps updates twice a year.

  You can get the maps for the U.S. and install the full navigation 
system on your phone OR a old phone. I now have a iPhone and if I am 
going to be in France more than a week I will get a sim with a local 
contract for phone and internet, if I am going to be there less than a 
week I just use the phone with no service as a navigation system and 
occasionally connect to wifi hotspots for internet.

  This system works well for me, the iPhone 5 is big enough to mount on 
the dash and see it.  The bluetooth works with all the rental cars I 
have had so far so I get voice navigation over the radio (if not then 
listen to the small iPhone speaker) and for me the best part is that i 
don't have to carry extra chargers, etc..  Lastly, it just slides into 
my pocket when I want to go for a walk and not get lost.

  Mike

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 15:27:41 -0400

I have used Garmin GPSes for years, and I have been happy with them.
If you get one, be sure to pay a little extra to get a version with free
lifetime map updates!
The last time I bought one, I paid something  like $20 extra for this.
Otherwise each map update
would have cost about $50.

Doug

[email-masked]