Subject: [Shop-talk] Wiring for DSL

From: Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 14:50:23 -0500

New house has two options for internet: Frontier DSL and Mediacom coax.

Mediacom wants a $100 'setup' fee and has a usage cap. Yes, I called back
to make sure it was still 2015 and that I hadn't fallen into a time warp to
1989. In Bolivia.

So...DSL it is.

The house--and I'm not making this up--has no working phone jacks in it.
There were only two in the whole house anyway. This thing was built BEFORE
phones to begin with, and they never wired the whole thing?

Anyway, they've got to punch a new hole through to the outside and they
want to do it in the basement. Fair enough, no one will mess with it there.
Problem: the free modem is also a modem and wifi router, and the guy
assures me it won't reach to the third floor, where I'm living while I
destroy the rest of the house.

I'd like to do this once and right. Any advice?

Modem in the basement, wifi routers on each floor for good coverage? Any
advice on how to set up those routers, or which to get? Ideally I'd use the
same network ID and could just go from room to room/floor to floor
seamlessly.  I'm willing to tear out walls for wires if I need to. A
website to peruse would also work if this is too newb to go into.

Thanks.

Scott
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive