Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Looking for GPS recommendations

From: Tom & Marge FitzGibbon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 13:39:41 +0000 (UTC)

What is the GPS for (driving, hiking, boating, etc.)?B  If for driving, are
you planning on getting a portable GPS or an after-market in dash GPS?B  I
bought portable Garmin nuvi models (I don't recall the model numbers, sorry)
for my wife and daughter and they are fine.B  A little slow to find the
satellites on start-up, but only very occasionally slow to update while
driving.B  I like a lot of the map features.B  My wife's GPS supposedly shows
traffic and helps route around it, but I'm not sure she has ever successfully
gotten that feature to work.B  You may want to look for one that provides
lifetime map updates if you can.
B 
For my fun car, I could fit a double-DIN stereo so I went with a Pioneer
in-dash AVIC GPS (mine's a few years old but newer models are available).B  I
prefer the in-dash for several reasons, including it acquires the satellites
faster, mine provides integrated blue-tooth connectivity for my phone, and I
don't have to have a separate mount so it saves dash space.
B 
By the way, I also bought a GPS for my son and he used it once.B  He prefers
to use Google Maps on his phone.
B 
Tom

----- Original Message -----

From: "Gene Abbondelo" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2015 8:35:54 AM
Subject: [Shop-talk] Looking for GPS recommendations

Shop-talkers:

I'm planning on getting my son a decent GPS for his car as a birthday gift.
His car doesn't have one currently. B I myself have never used one. B Any
recommendations on a good, reliable brand to get? What about updates?

Thanks, B Gene
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 09:53:42 -0400

It depends...  :)

I have a Garmin Nuvi currently.  I'm perfectly satisfied with it, and
with Garmin in general (I've used many of their navigation products
over the last ten years).

Features to consider:

Screen size - bigger is better, up to a point

Lifetime map updates - don't buy without this feature.  Map updatess
can cost as much as a whole new unit...

Street names - a voice telling you to "turn right onto Oak Street in
500 feet"  is more useful than the one that says "turn right in 500
feet"

Here's an example of something to consider:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3V71C31741

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Gene Abbondelo
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> His car doesn't have one currently.  I myself have never used one.  Any
> Thanks,  Gene
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]