Subject: [Shop-talk] Water heater drain help

From: Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 10:12:51 -0400

Guys,

Got new water heater for house. Want to replace existing drain arrangement
with ball valve for better draining.

The fitting into the tank I think is probably not replaceable. But I could
replace the plastic plug and screw a fitting/ball valve into it. It looks
like this:

http://imgur.com/wn4DPQg

But I'm not sure what that thread is. It's not NPT--it seems to be about
twice as coarse as NPT.

I tried a 1/2" NPT spigot iftting I has here and it screws in, but it looks
like it might be cutting its own threads into the fitting on the tank,
which I think is Bad.

Anyone familiar with what that thread might be?

The plug's plastic so it won't rust, but it looks like it's just asking to
have those tiny holes clogs, or for the whole plastic plug to embrittle and
break. A nice ball valve with a big handle on it would be preferable.

Scott
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 16:36:04 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Scott,B Yes, that is entirely different. My heater has a 3/4" NPT steel
fitting in the tank. B I cannot offer any advice here other than call/email
the manufacturer to see what thread they say it is. B Maybe you can get online
and download a manual? B Is there a installation/spec sheet that came with the
tank with phone numbers or other information?
best,
doug
los angeles________________
'72 BSA B50SS
'74 Moto Guzzi 850T
'01 HD XHL 883
'03 GMC Cargo Van
'07 Aprilia SXV 550'13 Aprilia Tuono V4R'13 Cadillac ATS 3.6
      From: Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
 To: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
 Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2015 8:59 AM
 Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Water heater drain help

The fitting into the tank itself has a hex on it, but it's made of plastic too
and I'm honestly not sure I have the stones to attack it with a wrench. Should
I?

On Sep 13, 2015 10:54 AM, "old dirtbeard" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Scott,
I did something similar, entirely removed the valve and plumbed-in a 3/4" pipe
into the tank and just used a standard full ball valve.B  I am attaching the
picture here, but it probably will not post to the list.
I think tanks generally use standard NPT pipe threads.B  Maybe a
taper?B best,
doug
los angeles________________
'72 BSA B50SS

      From: Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
 To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
 Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2015 7:12 AM
 Subject: [Shop-talk] Water heater drain help

Guys,

http://imgur.com/wn4DPQg

Scott

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]> mail.com> localhost.pops.p.blarg.net
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 14:45:02 -0700

Here is what the whole drain valve assembly looks like:
<http://www.neobits.com/rheem_ap12159d_2_drain_valve_assembly_melet_4_70_p5772434.html>

         The part in your picture is just the outer part, you have to 
remove the other half.  Looks like once the whole thing is out, you just 
need a ball valve for 3/4" pipe thread.

         This page talks about replacing a plastic drain valve:
http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-replace-water-heater-drain-valve.html

         Googling "replace plastic water heater drain valve" gets lots of 
pages about doing this.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       532,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]