Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Looking for GPS recommendations

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 11:46:33 -0400

I have a 5 year old Garmin that I rarely use, thanks to Google Maps on my
phone.  The only thing I ever use the Garmin for is the ability to find places
to eat on my route. Google will find everything around me, but limiting the
search to the road I am on is a handy feature on long drives. There may be a
way to do this on G Maps, but I haven't found it.

One other comment on Garmins. I definitely agree about the importance of
getting one with lifetime updates, but one thing I noticed was that each
update seemed to further tax the system. The device became slower every time I
updated the maps.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 14, 2015, at 10:22 AM, Matt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>  +1 for google maps w/ smart phone. MB
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 14:23:32 -0400

OK, so all you smart phone/google maps people, do you use a mount 
that holds the phone up in some appropriate viewing place?  What do 
you do when you receive a phone call?  Do you use the speakerphone 
feature or bluetooth to something else?  My garmin serves as my hands 
free bluetooth phone interface.  In this age of no handheld phones 
and no texting, navigating is pretty much the same thing if you hold 
the phone and enter search data.  I don't know how law enforcement 
responds to "No officer, I wasn't calling or texting, I was navigating."

[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 19:06:19 -0700

Steve wrote:
>OK, so all you smart phone/google maps people, do you use a mount that 
>holds the phone up in some appropriate viewing place?  What do you do when 
>you receive a phone call?  Do you use the speakerphone feature or 
>bluetooth to something else?

         I use the Kenu Airframe 
(http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe).  Clips into most any air 
vent.  Doesn't get the phone right my line of sight, but then I'm listening 
to the Google Maps voice directions mostly.  The Airframe+ works with 
larger phones.  It's small enough that when I'm not using it I can just 
toss it into the ashtray and out of my way.

         My car doesn't have Bluetooth so I use a Motorola Roadster 2 
universal Bluetooth speakerphone.  It clips into my sunvisor and 
communicates via Bluetooth with my iPhone.  I can make calls handfree and 
the Roadster volume is much louder than the iPhone so I can hear it 
clearly.  It uses dual microphones with noise cancelling technology, people 
report they can hear me very clearly.  It'll also take music on your phone 
and broadcast it on an FM freq so you can listen to your music collection 
on older stereos.  Haven't used that feature, don't know how it works.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       532,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]