Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wiring for DSL

From: John Innis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 15:12:58 -0500

How big is the house?  We have a modem in the basement, wi-fi router in the
basement and have good coverage over the whole house (two story + basement
1500sq ft each floor).  You could probably use a hard wire ethernet
connection from your modem to a wi-fi router on the 1st or 2nd floor and
cover the whole house that way.  BUT a lot will depend on how big the house
is, what the walls and floors are made of and how much interference is
present in the area.  You may have to do a little trial and error to get it
working the way you want.  We use an ASUS Dark Night A66u N900
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091 bought in
2012, has worked great for us ever since.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> New house has two options for internet: Frontier DSL and Mediacom coax.
>
> Mediacom wants a $100 'setup' fee and has a usage cap. Yes, I called back
> to make sure it was still 2015 and that I hadn't fallen into a time warp to
> 1989. In Bolivia.
>
> So...DSL it is.
>
> The house--and I'm not making this up--has no working phone jacks in it.
> There were only two in the whole house anyway. This thing was built BEFORE
> phones to begin with, and they never wired the whole thing?
>
> Anyway, they've got to punch a new hole through to the outside and they
> want to do it in the basement. Fair enough, no one will mess with it there.
> Problem: the free modem is also a modem and wifi router, and the guy
> assures me it won't reach to the third floor, where I'm living while I
> destroy the rest of the house.
>
> I'd like to do this once and right. Any advice?
>
> Modem in the basement, wifi routers on each floor for good coverage? Any
> advice on how to set up those routers, or which to get? Ideally I'd use the
> same network ID and could just go from room to room/floor to floor
> seamlessly.  I'm willing to tear out walls for wires if I need to. A
> website to peruse would also work if this is too newb to go into.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
=================================
= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =
=================================
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 16:33:26 -0400

> website to peruse would also work if this is too newb to go into.
Place a good wifi router in the center of the house, top to bottom, end 
to end.  Wire that router the modem.  Don't use the wifi in the "free" 
router/modem except for non-mobile devices near the it.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Gordie Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 22:26:18 +0000 (UTC)

I did this exact thing, hardwired (cat 5e or 6) from cable wifi modem (in basement) to router on second floor. Use router for wifi. My cable modem was smart enough that it recognized the second router and allowed it control of the IP addresses in the network. Surprised me and the tech support guy I was talking too. 

----- Original Message -----

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 19:51:22 -0700

I also agree to get a second router to serve as your main wireless 
connection.  My house was wired with about 10 phone jacks (3 bedroom 2 
story), but the wires were in bad shape and DSL wouldn't work, so we 
disconnected all but 2 jacks.  My wife kept having her printer drop off 
network, so I got a second router and ran a 100' cat 6 cable up to the 
new router near her computer and printer.

The free router is also probably a low end one.  It is best just to use 
it to receive the DSL and have a good one for wireless.  My wife's 
signal is much better - less drops and faster - with my newer Trendnet 
router instead of the AT&T free one, even when I moved her laptop to the 
same room as the AT&T router.

If you have a chase of some sort, you may be able to get the cable to a 
good central location.  Since you appear to have some renovations, 
hopefully it is easy to at least get up to the second floor.

People say wireless is the future, but I did a balcony replacement and 
added some empty conduit from my computer area to my crawlspace in case 
I ever needed it.  This conduit made it easy to run the cable to the 
second modem.  If you have walls down, running some empty 3/4" PVC 
conduit to empty boxes might be a good idea.  You may want to run fiber 
in a decade to stream your ultra super duper high def video so you don't 
radiate yourself.  PCV conduit is cheap and easy to run.

I don't think it is code, but if you have a HVAC duct, that may also be 
a place you could run a cable.

Brian

On 9/1/2015 12:50 PM, Scott Hall wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]