Subject: [Shop-talk] on the subject of copper and pvc air lines

From: Joe Szwed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 16:45:15 -0400

In regards to the copper/pvc air line discussion.  It always seems be a
heated topic.  In a couple quick searches to industry sources, I found the
following:

On page 9 in the following booklet.

http://www.copper.org/publications/pub_list/pdf/copper_tube_handbook.pdf

"Compressed AirbUse copper tube of Types K, L or M determined by the rated
internal working pressures as shown in Table 3. Brazed joints are
recommended."

In regards to PVC, in this manual:

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/PL_Tech_Man/Charlotte_Plastics_Tech_Ma
nual.pdf

Under this section: SUBMITTAL FOR CHARLOTTE PIPEB. PVC SCHEDULE 40 PRESSURE
PIPE AND FITTING SYSTEM

You see the following:

WARNING! Never test with or transport/store compressed air or gas in PVC
pipe or fittings. Doing so can result in explosive failures and cause
severe injury or death.

On a different but similar situation, I find it interesting that PVC pipe
is commonly used to vent flue gas from boilers and water heaters etc, yet
no where will you find a manufacturer of PVC pipe who rates their pipe for
that application.

Joe
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive