Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Is this a shutoff?

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 00:18:25 -0400

It is my understanding that modern codes favor black pipe.  In New 
York, I don't think copper is allowed with gas, especially if it is 
inside a wall.  The concern is that someone drives a nail, hits the 
pipe and creates a small leak.  Eventually enough gas leaks out that 
a spark can blow up the whole house.  Also, gas work typically 
requires leak testing with a pressure gauge.  The system has to hold 
pressure for a certain amount of time to prove that there are no 
leaks, even small ones.  That is the big difference between water and 
gas.  A small water leak may rot out some boards and wet some carpet 
or sheetrock.  A small gas leak, given some time, can create an 
explosive situation.  I am not saying don't do it.  Just learn a lot 
about what you are doing and what the requirements are.  Read stuff, 
ask people, get all the information you can.  Maybe you can find a 
pro who would review your plans and look over and test the finished 
work, for a reasonable fee.  I don't know if you can find someone 
willing to do that, but it might be a good solution if you can.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive