Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] entending home network

From: Jimmie Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 10:48:11 -0400

You can certainly do that.  You could configure the second router to 
operate as a run-of-the-mill access point.  That is, you'd configure the 
second router to use the same SSID and same WPA key but you'd disable 
its DHCP server and firewall (and any other routing services...NAT, QoS, 
etc).  In this configuration, your existing gateway/router will provide 
DHCP and NAT services for your entire network which is usually what you 
want.  In my experience, you'll want to plug the new ethernet cable from 
the house into one of the LAN ports on the second router instead of the 
WAN port but this might vary from device to device.

These days most wireless clients are smart enough to assume that since 
both radios are broadcasting the same SSID that they're on the same 
network and will seamless hop between them if signal quality is better.  
So you could walk from your house to your shop and back without any 
disruptions.

But before you fish cables under the driveway, you might want to look 
into directional WIFI antennas.  You can even build one yourself.  50 
(or 125) feet to your shop is nothing.

On 08/08/15 16:53, john niolon wrote:
> things are sure quiet here on shop-talk...   guess itbs just too hot to
> type.
>
> so... herebs a question
>
> Using Uverse for home network... wireless works in most of the house but
> outside the brick walls is dead... I want to extend to the shop... 50 feet
> from the house and roughly another 75 across the house to the gateway...  I
> plan on fishing a cat-5 cable under the driveway to the shop then I can plug
> in my laptop in the shop...  Then I let my mind get idle and it started
> thinking on itbs own (dangerous)   Can I add another wireless router (a
> Belkin I used before U-verse)) at the shop end of the cat 5 and  use it to
> connect my phone, ipad and laptop wireless in the shop ??
>
> will that be the same wireless I have now ??   or will it be a second one I
> must log into ??   will they conflict ???   tell me Ibm crazy.
>
> john
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: steve hochschild <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 11:29:55 -0500

What Jimmie said.  I just did this.  I bought a $30 router, configured 
it as below, works great.  And since there are no walls, I bet the 
signal will reach without trenching, without a directional "Pringles 
can" antenna, or anything; I was able to just plug it in, set it in the 
window, and I was up.  You want to make sure you match your existing 
router's type, "N" or whatever, as the routers will drop down all 
transmissions down to the slowest device on the network.

On 8/9/2015 9:48 AM, Jimmie Mayfield wrote:
> operate as a run-of-the-mill access point.  That is, you'd configure 
> the second router to use the same SSID and same WPA key but you'd 
> disable its DHCP server and firewall (and any other routing 
> services...NAT, QoS, etc).  In this configuration, your existing 
> gateway/router will provide DHCP and NAT services for your entire 
> network which is usually what you want.  In my experience, you'll want 
> to plug the new ethernet cable from the house into one of the LAN 
> ports on the second router instead of the WAN port but this might vary 
> from device to device.
>
> network and will seamless hop between them if signal quality is 
> better.  So you could walk from your house to your shop and back 
> without any disruptions.
>
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]