Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Refrigerator

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 17:23:29 -0700

Scott - I have a bottom freezer with french doors on the top for the 
fridge in my kitchen.  The nice thing about the two doors on top is you 
don't need as much space to open the doors.  My parents had a regular 
1980's vintage fridge in their garage and you couldn't open the door all 
the way if a car was in the garage.  We have a compact kitchen and it is 
much nicer to have the french door design compared to the older top 
freezer if there is more than one person in the kitchen.

When looking for my current fridge I quickly eliminated a side by side 
because you couldn't put a frozen pizza in freezer side.

That said, in your case I'd probably just get a basic white or black top 
freezer of large enough capacity for your family to save money. I'd even 
skip the ice maker and water dispenser since you are not likely to want 
them in the garage anyway and they take away space. Look for a 4th of 
July advertised special to save even more.

Congratulations on the foreclosure.  I got mine in 2009.  It took 6 
weeks of evening and weekend work to be able to move in, but we are in a 
great location and the house is now worth much more than we paid.  If 
you have not already done so, I recommend a professional home inspection 
to help you identify any issues you might have missed.  If you are in a 
termite area, also get a professional termite company to inspect the 
property.  I would consider it to be a small insurance policy to catch 
things early before they become more of a problem

I'm in the middle of a double bathroom renovation that involved both rot 
and termite damage.  In addition, before you start putting the kitchen 
back together, make sure the subfloor is absolutely solid under the old 
fridge/dishwasher/sink areas in case they had water damage.  Stiffen up 
the floor if needed if you intend to put in tile.  I replaced my 
bathroom 1x6 diagonal board with 3/4" plywood topped with 1/2" plywood 
(offset joints) and it is solid - no cracked grout like the old floor.  
It took a day of work, but I'm very happy that I know all the wood is 
good and the rot is gone.

Brian

On 7/1/2015 4:23 PM, Scott Hall wrote:
> I'm asking you guys primarily because you know everything.
>
> Secondarily, this thing will end up in the garage. But I'm mostly not even
> pretending this is a shop-related question.
>
> I just bought a foreclosure.
>
> The previous owners gutted the kitchen on their way out. This is good
> because the house was cheap, and I'll be able to get the s/o the kitchen
> she wants, and someone's already done the demolition for me.
>
> But I'm going to live in this in the interim, and I need a refrigerator.
> Eventually, there will be a built in something-or-other that will no doubt
> cost more than my first car. Until then, I just want something that will
> keep things cold, and that I can later re-purpose for my fridge in the
> garage.
>
> So with that in mind, what should I buy? My main concern is simple,
> durable, and able to survive (eventually) in a garage environment. I'm not
> real excited about buying a diamond plate model, but beyond that aesthetics
> aren't too important.
>
> So...if you were able to buy a fridge for your shop (that would live on
> your house for a few months first), what would you get? Do top- or
> bottom-freezers last longer/use less electricity/whatever? Do you find
> yourself wishing your fridge did something it doesn't do now? Since it's
> mine and mine alone I can pick whatever I want.
>
> Thanks fellas.
>
> Scott
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 21:36:29 -0500

> mine and mine alone I can pick whatever I want.

In addition to what Brian said, consider buying a used one.  Plenty of
fridges get replaced because the owner bought something nicer.  I
wouldn't go too old, because they've got much more efficient, but I'd
look.

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 23:05:08 -0400

> mine and mine alone I can pick whatever I want.

I have a bottom freezer which I like because of the drawer, and french doors
which I like because I have a narrow galley kitchen, but won't buy again if I
have amore square kitchen.

Do you have a Sears scratch & dent near you? Often some really cheap
appliances with good bones and a giant forklift hole or footprint being the
only issue.

Otherwise, buy used like someone said. But, not more than ~7 years old since
efficiencies change kinda fast.

jim

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 23:58:31 -0400

When the guys from my local appliance store deliver a new 
refrigerator and take away a really nice used one, it ends up back at 
the warehouse where the guy there sells it used.  I don't know if 
this is exactly a sanctioned activity in the eyes of the appliance 
company, but I'm sure it happens all the time.  The used ones are 
never advertised, but the local builders and landlords know the 
deal.  Ask around.

-Steve T.

[email-masked]

---

From: Tom & Marge FitzGibbon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 13:31:02 +0000 (UTC)

Scott, 

Where is the house and is the garage heated and cooled? When we bought our new house a couple of years ago and went shopping for a new refrigerator for the garage (as a second fridge for the house, not as a shop fridge), we were told by several appliance dealers that a refrigerator-freezer is not appropriate for unheated space in NJ and using it in the garage will void the warranty. However, we found a Frigidaire unit that can be a stand-alone freezer or a stand-alone refrigerator at the flip of a switch. It has been great for us and gives us lots of extra storage (with no freezer space there is that much more room for "12 ounce shop essentials"). Of course, with 4 teenage children at the time we also bought one to use as a freezer so we had both spaces covered. If you only have room for 1 unit, this will not work for you. 

Tom 

----- Original Message -----

From: "Scott Hall" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 7:23:59 PM 
Subject: [Shop-talk] Refrigerator 

Thanks fellas. 

Scott 

[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: Ian McFetridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 11:42:32 -0400

Minor comment, but when you eventually do move it to the garage, make sure
you have an outlet for it that is not on a GFI protected circuit.  It would
be a shame to have the GFI trip and shutdown the fridge.

- Ian

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]> mail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 12:54:52 -0400

Just out of curiosity, what is the main reason for the popularity of 
a fridge in the garage?  Is it just to have a conveniently located 
beverage when you're working?  A second fridge adds to the power 
bill, especially when it's an old inefficient unit that is demoted to 
garage status.  It also takes up a bunch of space.  I guess I can see 
it if it's a detached garage/shop that's far away.  My garage/shop 
space is under the living space of my house.  If I have to go 
upstairs once in a while to pee, then it's no big deal to bring down 
a couple of cans or bottles.  For me, the main thing I guess is the 
room.  I have a pretty big space, and I still have a hard time 
finding a place for all the stuff I have.

-Steve

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 13:14:16 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 07/02/2015 13:14:05, Serialize complete at 07/02/2015 13:14:05

Steve makes the point about a frig in the garage.

I have to say that I'm with Steve on this.  I have a 2500 SqFt garage and 
extra fridges in storage buildings, but I never see a need for frig in the 
garage.  (Big caveat, I don't drink either.)

I do have a microwave, coffee pot, dishwasher, oven, sink, and psydo 
toilet in there, but I would have no need for a frig.  8>)

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 13:41:46 -0400

We renovated our kitchen in 2011 and moved the then 5+-year-old
conventional (freezer on top, single door on bottom) fridge/freezer to the
garage - and it has been fine. My only complaint is that it doesn't have
quite enough insulation on the bottom of the freezer door, and as a result
there is condensation that appears there on more humid days.

We don't have heating or cooling in the garage space, but it is fully
insulated, so it never drops below 35F, even when it is -19F outside (rare
here in Northern Virginia, but it happens). If you can insulate the garage,
I do recommend it!

It is handy having a fridge in the garage for beverages as well as for
kitchen overflow. Keeps muddy kids out of the house if they just want a
drink.

The nice bottom freezer/french doors on top Kenmore Elite is excellent in
the kitchen (it only has water on the door, with an auto-icemaker in the
freezer, which takes up much less space). Ours has a satin-finish that
simulates stainless steel, but is still magnetic. I picked it up at our
nearby Sears Hardware, which had it at 50% off.

My parents-in-law have an un-insulated/open outbuilding that has two
fridge/freezers, and they run just fine for them year-round. Located in
Montrose, CO, they see a broad swing of temperatures, from 100F+ to -10F.
They're probably each over 15 years old, though.

-Peter

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:54 PM, Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, what is the main reason for the popularity of a
> fridge in the garage?  Is it just to have a conveniently located beverage
> when you're working?  A second fridge adds to the power bill, especially
> when it's an old inefficient unit that is demoted to garage status.  It
> also takes up a bunch of space.  I guess I can see it if it's a detached
> garage/shop that's far away.  My garage/shop space is under the living
> space of my house.  If I have to go upstairs once in a while to pee, then
> it's no big deal to bring down a couple of cans or bottles.  For me, the
> main thing I guess is the room.  I have a pretty big space, and I still
> have a hard time finding a place for all the stuff I have.
>
> -Steve
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 14:25:48 -0400

I donbt want to hijack this thread, but what is a psydo (pseudo?) toilet.
Or, donbt I want to know?

> On Jul 2, 2015, at 1:14 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]