Subject: [Shop-talk] Brake Pads

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 14:56:05 -0400

I had the timing chain replaced yesterday on my 2007 Honda Ridgeline (190,000
miles) and was told that the front brakes only had a little life left in them,
but that the rotors couldnbt be turned so I needed to replace everything to
the tune of more than $400.  Ibd like to avoid putting that much more into
the car, especially after yesterdaybs bill, and will probably just do the
brakes myself.  I have never done brakes on anything newer than a mid-70bs
Toyota, but have researched the Ridgeline and the job looks fairly
straightforward.  First, though, I have to decided if I need to replace just
the pads or if I should do the rotors while I am at it.

I am not 100% sure I trust this dealer yet, especially after I asked some
questions about the rotors.  I was originally told they would be too thin
after turning.  Then I asked if they were scored or warped and he said they
were fine but added something about not being able to turn them due to
corrosion on the edges. So, I am not sure exactly why they canbt be turned.
I asked about just changing the pads and he said that more than likely this
would result in pulsing of the brakes due to smooth pads on worn rotors.
First question to the group: do we agree with him on that?  Which leads to my
second question: has anyone here used EBC Greenstuff pads?
(http://ebcbrakes.com/product/greenstuff-brake-pads/)  I have been told that
the bBrake-In Coatingb is basically a sandpaper finish that sands the
rotors during the initial stops and smooths out the wear patterns from the
previous pads.  If this is correct, I might be able to get away with just a
quick and dirty pad replacement.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive