Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Brake Pads

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 20:55:12 -0400

I inadvertantly sent the reply to Jim only.  So I'm reposting for the group.

At 03:33 PM 7/2/2015, you wrote:

 >Thanks John.  My follow-up question was going to be on the value of 
inexpensive
 >rotors.  :)

 >The only reason for wanting to avoid replacing the rotors (besides just being
 >cheap) is because they are held on with two screws that seems to 
almost always
 >rust in place. From all that I have read, those two screws turn this from a
 >quick simple job to one that can take a day.

While this is true, here are some comments:

1. These screws aren't required.  They are there to hold the rotor on 
the hub while
the car is on the assembly line.

2. To remove them, hit the screws with some PBlast before you start 
the job.  In
fact if you have a spare car, jack it up the night before and squirt 
the PBlast on
the screws the night before you plan on working on the car, then in the morning
before you start.

3. Using an impact screw driver 
like: 
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=impact+screwdriver 
to break the screws loose.

I've never had any problems with the screws using this.  If you have 
to drill them
out, see if you can't find a left handed drill bit to start drilling on them.

 >So, any good recommendations on aftermarket pads and rotors will be
 >appreciated.

I've used afftermarket rotors on my honda accord & civic, both my 
Chrysler mini-
vans, and my Taurus.  They all have lasted as long as the brake pads 
did.  But usually when it was time to replace the pads, I had to 
replace the rotors again.
But at $30 to $100 each versus what the dealership wants, I didn't 
mind replacing
them.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive