Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Camouflaging a connex (intermodal container)

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 15:53:14 -0400

I live in a wooded area.  I painted my shop dark brown, with green
doors and trim.  In the summer, it disappears in the shade under the
trees, in the winter, it's just one more brown thing in the forest.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 3:23 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> OK, I live out in farm country, (and I have a farm) but I was wondering
> what color (colors) should I paint them so they aren't as much as an
> eyesore.
>
> Now, I get that painting them green would blend them in during the summer,
> but once the leaves are down, they would stick out (same for the reverse
> if I paint them brown or white.)
>
> Then I was thinking about a military camo job, but that seems like alot of
> work for large containers (I have 3 of them to paint.)
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for cheap/easy camo?  If it can't be
> both, cheaper is better, but I'm pretty flexible.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> (BTW, I'm in western NJ in case that makes a difference.)
>
> Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
> Eric P
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 15:59:15 -0400 (EDT)

> both, cheaper is better, but I'm pretty flexible.

    Lots of chrome spray paint... it'll reflect whatever surrounds it.

--
  David Hillman

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 15:59:38 -0400

I wouldn't overthink it.  Hide them with trees (big, pointy pines) where
you can and then just accept that they are what they are.  To my eye, a
bunch of camo junk on somebody's property looks a bit trashy.  At least the
bare containers in a solid color are clean and functional.

-Paul

[email-masked]

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 16:04:39 -0400

What about a darker red, somewhat like a barn would be painted? Are you
planning to put a pitched roof on it? If not, you may already be
considering painting the roof a light color to reduce solar heating during
the summer (if that matters).

If you are fortunate enough to have mainly a single direction from which
the public (and you) would see them (from the road and/or your house or
shop windows), you could always position them so you see the small side,
rather than the broad side.

How long will your sea crate be there? Is it "permanent"? If you're
thinking a few years, then maybe some wood trellis and plant some
fast-growing evergreen vines. If "forever", then perhaps some
faster-growing evergreen bushes would be good. Either way, some camo
netting could provide visual cover while the natural stuff does its thing...

Some vines to consider:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fast-growing-evergreen-vines-44998.html

-Peter

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 3:23 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 18:55:25 -0700

Camo net?

[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 19:18:52 -0700

Why try to hide it if you can have some fun with it?

         Here is an example of how a local retirement home camouflaged the 
ugly mechanical stuff on their roof:
<http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/hearthstones-rooftop-farm-yields-bumper-crop-of-fun/>

         Just gotta buy some paint and let your inner artist out to play!

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       520,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]