Subject: [Shop-talk] Wifi access point?

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:26:32 -0700

After getting tired of fooling around with boosters, antennas, etc, I 
finally ran a Cat 6 direct burial cable out to the shop, which is a 
metal pole barn, and being such, relatively impervious to WiFi. That 
solved the problem of connecting my shop computer to the net (but of 
course raises the whole other issue of time wasting net surfing out in 
the shop...).   Anyway, now I could use wifi out in the shop since my 
iPad and phone can't connect to the wifi inside the shop.  I have a four 
port switch out there I am using to connect the computer and my solar 
panel stuff to, so I have room for an access point.  I'm looking for a 
recommendation for an inexpensive, reliable access point; I don't need a 
booster or range extender since it's only got to work inside my 24 x 48 
foot shop building.

Thanks
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 15:14:11 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 06/16/2015 15:14:12, Serialize complete at 06/16/2015 15:14:12

Dave C asks about WAP...

Dave, one think to think about (and only because I had this problem will 
ALL my outdoor, direct buried CAT 5 cable.

Make sure that on both sides there is  'surge' like protection.  I've lost 
countless devices till I figured this out.  I ended up going either 
wireless, aerial, or unplug the connections due to this problem.

it's doesn't take much stray voltage (from a lighting strike or something) 
to 'brick' a WEP.

I may be wrong, but that is what I ended up doing to prevent the failures 
I was seeing.

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]