Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop light T8 to LED

From: "Tony Vaccaro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 13:46:07 -0400

If you are not using the ballast, what do you modify to use this?
How does it work?

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ian
McFetridge
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2015 10:20 AM
To: Shop Talk
Subject: [Shop-talk] Shop light T8 to LED

I've been gradually replacing the T8 fixtures in my shop.  The previous
owner installed 12 two tube fixtures, so I've only be putting on LED tube in
each fixture as I remove the ballasts and make the update.  I've installed 8
so far and in each case the one LED is as bright, if not brighter than the
two old (maybe 10 years) T8 fluorescent tubes.  The brand I have been using
is below, I bought a couple last year for $23, then $21, now I see they are
down to $16.  Has anyone found a better option?

Also, does anyone know where I can properly dispose of the fluorescent
tubes?  My township will take them on hazardous waste day, but they only do
that twice a year and I was out of town for the last one.  Home Deport/
Lowes?

JACKYLED 20W 50W Replacement, Replacement Energy Saving LED T8 T10 Tube for
48" 1.2m 4ft Fluorescent Replacement Light Lamp Fixture No Ballast No Uv &
Ir Day White Smd Bulb 5500-6000k by JACKYLED
Link: http://amzn.com/B00IBVNDMM

Thanks,
Ian
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 21:15:58 -0500

> If you are not using the ballast, what do you modify to use this?

You wire it straight to mains.   there are also some that work with an
existing ballast; they won't be as efficient, but they're certainly
easier.

None of the ones I've seen have had an output anywhere close to a good
t8 fluorescent bulb, including the ones that claimed to.  That's
measured, with a good light meter, not subjective.  They're getting
better, and will get there eventually, but they're not there yet.

--
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

[email-masked]