Subject: [Shop-talk] Shop light T8 to LED

From: Ian McFetridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 10:19:59 -0400

I've been gradually replacing the T8 fixtures in my shop.  The previous
owner installed 12 two tube fixtures, so I've only be putting on LED tube
in each fixture as I remove the ballasts and make the update.  I've
installed 8 so far and in each case the one LED is as bright, if not
brighter than the two old (maybe 10 years) T8 fluorescent tubes.  The brand
I have been using is below, I bought a couple last year for $23, then $21,
now I see they are down to $16.  Has anyone found a better option?

Also, does anyone know where I can properly dispose of the fluorescent
tubes?  My township will take them on hazardous waste day, but they only do
that twice a year and I was out of town for the last one.  Home Deport/
Lowes?

JACKYLED 20W 50W Replacement, Replacement Energy Saving LED T8 T10 Tube for
48" 1.2m 4ft Fluorescent Replacement Light Lamp Fixture No Ballast No Uv &
Ir Day White Smd Bulb 5500-6000k
by JACKYLED
Link: http://amzn.com/B00IBVNDMM

Thanks,
Ian
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 11:28:44 -0700

> If you are not using the ballast, what do you modify to use this?
> How does it work?

The LED power supply is buried in the bulb assembly.  You just wire the old fluorescent bulb connectors directly to the AC line, and
disconnect/remove the old fluorescent ballast.

The exact wiring depends on which bulb you buy.  You should get detailed instructions with the bulb.  With some bulbs and some
fixtures, you may have to replace the connectors (aka tombstones) as well, but you can still reuse the fixture.

-- Randall  

[email-masked]

---

From: Badger Mountain Motorworks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 11:40:44 -0700

[email-masked]