Subject: [Shop-talk] Definitely mowing season :)

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 11:50:20 -0400

Since we're talking about mowing....

I use a commercial Scag Tiger 60" ZTR and mow about 3+ acres once a week.
The problem I have is the suspension or should I say lack of suspension on
the Scag.  On flat ground with no bumps the Scag is a joy to use.
Unfortunately my property is riddled with crayfish mounds. These mounds are
anywhere from 4" tall to 10" tall and once they dry turn into rocks.
Hitting these "rocks" on a ZTR without suspension is a bone jarring
experience.

If the picture I attached comes through the mail server you'll see a lot of
brown spots.  Each of those spots is or was a crayfish mound.  If I hit
them when they are fresh they get squished down semi-flat.  If they have a
chance to dry out they turn into rocks.  I've had the front wheels bounce
as much as 6" off the ground after hitting one of these mounds.  I feel
like I've been in a prize fight with Joe Lewis after a mowing session.

The Scag seat is what Scag calls a suspension seat however it doesn't
really do anything that I've been able to tell.  I seem to feel every bump
and dip very clearly.

After looking at my Kubota tractor seat/suspension setup which works fairly
well I found a similar setup on ebay for ZTRs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171732997299?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anybody have one of these on their mowers?  I've seen mixed reviews
online.  The only downside is it seems to raise the seat about 1.75" to
2.75".  I'm not sure if that would be an issue for me or not.

Thanks!

Brad

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of crawfish-mounds.jpg]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive