Subject: [Shop-talk] tripod mower traction issue. (I'm fixing it in my shop!)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 08:36:02 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 05/11/2015 08:36:04, Serialize complete at 05/11/2015 08:36:04

OK, I know that there is someone here that can come up with the solution 
to this weird issue.

I have a zero turn tripod mower (here is a photo of it with the snow plow 
on it...  )  (This one is actually mine.)
http://tinyurl.com/m38436w 

Here is another photo of how the deck mounts to it  (This is a stock 
image, but it shows how the mower is mounted.)

http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?140401/AY9842

Now, the problem is the traction.  It is unacceptable.  I've tried ag and 
bar tires, with and without snowchains.  The mower barely can go up 
inclines and often ends up sliding sideways once it loses traction.

Here is the bugger of the issue,   It will climb up the steepest of my 
hills, IN REVERSE.  So, I know this is a problem with the weighting or 
something.

The unit has the ability to add or remove weight over the rear 'tripod' 
wheel.  I've tried it with and without weight with limited success.

Can anyone explain why it can go in reverse up a hill but not in forward? 
(and yes, the bar tires were mounted in the proper direction.)

Is there something I can do to fix this issue?   More or less weight in 
the rear, or elsewhere?   Is there a tire out there with spikes in it or 
something?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.  (I haven't had to mow for over 12 years and now I have 
to again since my tenant that had a landscaping business moved out.)  8>(

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 09:04:33 -0700

> wheel.  I've tried it with and without weight with limited success.

You need more weight on the drive wheels, not at the rear.  When going uphill forward, the weight of the engine (and you) gets
transferred to the rear wheel and lets the front ones slip.  One alternative might be to partially fill them with water (plus
antifreeze) or something like this http://www.rimguard.biz/ 

I'm not sure if that would be enough, but it might be a cheap experiment to see if it improves the situation.  You should be able to
find the adapter to connect a garden hose at Tractor Supply or similar.

-- Randall  

[email-masked]