Subject: [Shop-talk] Looking for some wire shelves...

From: Jimmie Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 21:38:14 -0400

About 18 months ago, my local Sears closed and during the liquidation I 
picked up some wire shelf fixtures from the linens department.  Pretty 
stout.  Wire thickness comparable to pallet racking but you mount them 
on standards and brackets like Closet Maid shelves.

Image 1 <https://i.imgur.com/T5C5GKN.jpg>
Image 2 <https://i.imgur.com/W7pGZ04.jpg>
Image 3 <https://i.imgur.com/1hPxhsg.jpg>

These measure 48" wide and either 18" or 24" deep.  There's a 1" lip 
across the front to keep things from sliding off.  Across the bottom, 
there are two square tube crossbars for support.  The crossbars have 
notches spaced 45" apart and there is a wire loop. The brackets fit 
through the loop and in the notches to keep the shelf from moving (I'm 
using 18" and 24" K&V brand wire shelf standards and brackets...they 
work well enough).

I bought about a dozen at the time and have since mounted them in my 
garage.  I wish I'd bought more.

These shelves don't appear to have any labels or identifying markings 
(for all I know, Sears bought these decades ago when the store was 
built).  Google- and Bing-image searches for terms like "wire shelves" 
and "wire baskets" didn't turn up anything promising.

Does anybody know anything about these shelves?  Who made them?  Are 
they still obtainable?

JM
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]> localhost.scooter.p.blarg.net
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 19:07:27 -0700

You want to Google for "store fixtures" or "display 
fixtures".  The term "fixtures" refers to all the racks, cases, shelving, 
etc that are used to display merchandise at a store.  A search of those 
terms found several online store fixture sites, don't know if they sell in 
small quantities or not.
         If you're near a large city, there are likely to be store fixture 
companies that sell both used and new fixtures.
         Someone at those companies, that are "in the fixture business" may 
recognize your baskets and know where to get them.

         I saw an approximation of thom, they're for a "gridwall" display 
system.

http://www.tucsonstorefixtures.com/images/products/10404.jpg

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       516,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]