Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sealants for nylon gas tank?

From: "Pat Horne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 08:48:07 -0500

Call Rectorseal's customer support and see what they have to say about their
products that you already have on hand. I don't have any handy to check, but
see if you can find a tube of Teflon pipe dope. The stuff I used about 10
years ago was for nylon. I was using water so didn't check for other fluid
types. You could also contact Locktite, they should be able to tell you.

Peace,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
<snip>
I need to install new stainless steel quick disconnect fuel taps in a nylon
gas tank. People have told me to use a lubricating sealant, since the insert
in the tank will tear out before the threads (1/4 NPT) will seal. I tried
pink teflon tape and I got it tight as I dared and it still leaked. These
are 90 taps so I have to tighten them in 360 degree increments.

I have 2 jars of sealant, that either say they're ok with nylon, or with
gasoline, but none say both. Any ideas if any of the following will be ok?

Rectorseal T plus 2 - "Recommended for use on threaded galvanized steel,
iron, brass, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, polyethylene, fiberglass
reinforced, PVC, CPVC, and ABS pipe."

Rectorseal 5 - "ideal for application with a wide variety of fluids and
gases"
and "Recommended for use on threaded galvanized steel, iron, brass, copper,
aluminum, stainless steel, polyethylene, fiberglass reinforced and PVC
pipe.Not recommended for use with ABS,CPVC pipe or oxygen, chlorine and
other oxidizers"
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 21:37:00 -0400

A friend sent me the link to the BMW upgrade kit, which includes a tube of
Gasoila. I found a jar at my local Tractor Supply for $8. Specifically states
compatibility with nylon, up to 20% ethanol gasoline, and steel. Probably very
similar to what you're talking about:

http://www.gasoila.com/products/pipe-thread-sealants/gasoila-soft-set-thread-
sealant-with-ptfe.html/

jim

[email-masked]

---

From: RandE <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 20:45:57 -0500

It's also available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gasolia

Randy

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 8:37 PM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]