Subject: [Shop-talk] Sealants for nylon gas tank?

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 19:15:51 -0400

I need to install new stainless steel quick disconnect fuel taps in a nylon
gas tank. People have told me to use a lubricating sealant, since the insert
in the tank will tear out before the threads (1/4 NPT) will seal. I tried pink
teflon tape and I got it tight as I dared and it still leaked. These are 90
taps so I have to tighten them in 360 degree increments.

I have 2 jars of sealant, that either say they're ok with nylon, or with
gasoline, but none say both. Any ideas if any of the following will be ok?

Rectorseal T plus 2 - "Recommended for use on threaded galvanized steel, iron,
brass, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, polyethylene, fiberglass reinforced,
PVC, CPVC, and ABS pipe."

Rectorseal 5 - "ideal for application with a wide variety of fluids and gases"
and "Recommended for use on threaded galvanized steel, iron, brass, copper,
aluminum, stainless steel, polyethylene, fiberglass reinforced and PVC
pipe.Not recommended for use with ABS,CPVC pipe or oxygen, chlorine and other
oxidizers"

If not, what to use? An alternative is to pop a viton o-ring on the tap and
seal it that way...

thanks,
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive