Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Composite Decking

From: "Pat Horne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 16:57:30 -0500

One thing about most if not all composite decking is that it needs more
support. Check the installation instructions for the products you are
considering. With wood decks you can usually go 2' on center with the
framing. Offhand I can't remember what brand decking we put in, but it said
16" max. In the high load area where we entertain, we went with 12" on
center. When I remember what we used I'll repost. The fasteners we used were
stainless steel square drive screws. They mushroomed up a little around the
screws, but that didn't bother us. We've had the deck for almost 3 years and
it is doing fine.

Peace,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] Composite Decking

I query the group for any composite decking expertise/advice.

Background:
My wife wants me to build a deck off the back of the pool near the SHOP.
She is seeking a good location for afternoon sun as her normal spot gets
shaded.
I figure I will use some manner of composite decking, seeking a durable,
long lasting surface with minimal upkeep.
I think I am good to go on the general deck construction, but I am finding
that there are many options for the decking.
Years ago a good friend made an expensive mistake when he bought something
maybe then 30% less costly than the top of the line option and within 3-4
years he said it just fell apart.  It swelled, it sagged, it was terrible.
He tore it all out and started over with top of the line trex and while
costly, it has held up well.

<snip>

So specifically I am looking for
1)  recommendations on material.

2)  thoughts on overdecking

3)  recommendations on fastener systems.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Matt Barre
Columbus GA  -  dampness/mildew is as much of a threat as UV here.

____________________________________________________________
Forget the iPhone 6
1 little-known Apple supplier holds wealth-changing growth potential.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/552fff651c5137f653cb7st02vuc
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:05:29 -0700

I live in the Pacific Northwest.  At our first house my BIL and I built 
a conventional PT/cedar deck. I had to pressure wash it every year and 
stain it at least every couple of years, and it still needed major 
repairs after 15 years.

About 15 years ago we build our present house.  We had a contractor 
install a TimberTech deck and it has been flawless.  I pressure wash it 
every couple of years and that's it.  Points to consider:

Yes, you will need to put your joists 12" OC.  The stuff needs much more 
support than conventional lumber.
Our deck is screwed together with SS deck screws.  Pre drilling is 
mandatory.
The stuff is slick.  There is a learning curve with regards to 
crosscuting it with a chop saw.  It wants to move around.  There was a 
lot of cursing on the contractor's part during assembly of the fiddly bits.
Sorry; I don't have any ideas regarding over decking.

On 4/16/2015 11:27 AM, Matt wrote:
>   specifically I am looking for

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 23:13:55 -0500

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Matt <[email-masked]> wrote:

rs.
>
>  I have an existing deck on the back of the house that needs attention.  I was
> thinking I would just re-deck with whatever I use on the new construction.
> But it occurred to me that the existing deck is still solid, but no longer
> aesthetically pleasing.   Would simply overlaying the existing deck with new
> WPC decking be a viable option?

Do you mean literally putting new deck boards on the existing boards,
as is done with asphalt shingles?
Or do you mean rip the decking off, and replace it, using the existing
structure?

The first is a bad idea.  The second is potentially okay; it depends
on the structure being in good shape (it often is), and being suitable
for the new material (as others have noted, the composite stuff isn't
as strong, and requires more support), and there not having been some
change in the local code that requires change or replacement.
-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Ian McFetridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:24:05 -0400

Matt,

I would be very careful in selecting the brand of composite decking.  When
we built a deck in 2004, the contractor swore that he had great results
from Geodeck...they are now out of business and you can read some of the
horror stories on ConsumerReports
<http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/home-improvement/decking/decking-material-ratings/models/overview/geodeck-tongue-and-groove-99014034.htm>
.

Some issues we had, and to be on the lookout with any vendor, include:
-- composites have much different thermal and water expansion properties.
Our deck was in the sun and the 16' boards would lengthen about a 1/32"
every foot in the heat of summer -- yes, that is about 1/2" on a 16'
board!  Our fascia was nailed up to the ends of the boards with an 1/8" gap
and quickly became warped and had to be replaced.
-- the fasteners were hidden, went through the tongue, and were covered by
the next board.  With the expansion of the boards, they simply could not
hold them in place and large gaps opened up in the boards.  We had to
face-screw them.
-- the boards had channels that held water and had the usual problems where
water is held, mildew, freeze/thaw, etc.

- Ian

[email-masked]

---

From: RandE <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 09:27:10 -0500

We had some landscaping done last year and one of the guys also did deck
work.  He told me he had installed a composite deck for a customer.  It was
a huge deck and cost about $25k.  The decking retained much more heat than
wood and it was so hot they couldn't use it.  The customer replaced it  few
years later with wood.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]