Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 5x8 trailer decking ideas?

From: "Pat Horne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:04:07 -0500

Do some research on MDO (Medium Density Overlay). I've been told that it is
what overhead highway signs are made of. I replaced the front wall of my
enclosed with it a couple years ago and have had no problems with it. You
may be able to find it 5' wide. Where are you located, I forgot!

Peace,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jim
Franklin
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2015 9:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] 5x8 trailer decking ideas?

Been quiet for a few days, don't want the collective to lose it's edge :-)

I have a 5x8 utility trailer with a mesh floor that needs a more supportive
deck for 2 motorcycles. I'd like to keep it one piece to stop any water
infiltration that might lift the seam.

I've seen 5x8 ply mentioned for ping pong tables, but not in exterior grade.

There is 5x8 diamond plate (slippery and expensive), so I'm looking around
for other ideas before I butt 4x8 CDX together.

thanks,
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Eric J Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:48:11 -0400

> infiltration that might lift the seam.

Our contractor used a waterproof tongue & groove particle board type product 
for the sub-floor decking of the room above our garage. I saved the 
cut-offs. It has proved very strong and durable/waterproof. Pieces left 
outside for years have weathered to gray but not otherwise deteriorated.

My flat bed car trailer has pressure treated 2X decking. It is screwed to 
the steel framing with torx drive self-tapping flat head screws.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC 

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 12:13:18 -0400

I'm in MA, up near the NH border. I was hoping for something lighter than the
resin board type of things, since I'll be near max weight with the 2 bikes
already. Probably makes sense just to get some CDX and deal with the seam; if
I run it longways at least I reduce mu chances of tripping on it :-)

jim

On Apr 24, 2015, at 11:04 AM, Pat Horne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:

[email-masked]

---

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:33:32 -0500

I don't think a solid bed is a good idea. I'd consider using 2 x 12s, even
though you'd need to figure a way to attach them to the existing decking,
that shouldn't be hard to do. We have a 5 x 10 trailer that was originally
decked with untreated 2 x 12s. Over several years the back end of those
rotted away. When I replaced them I used treated 2 x 12s, primed and
painted on all sides and the ends, before I put them down. Wasn't real
cheap, but not terribly expensive either. No issues since and they're a
solid base for pretty much anything I want to put in the trailer. I left a
nail width cap between the boards so water wouldn't sit on the bed.

FWIW

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 9:53 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> for
> other ideas before I butt 4x8 CDX together.
>
> thanks,
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 12:34:23 -0400

By mesh do you mean expanded metal?  You know, that is available in 
different mesh sizes and metal gauges.  Also, perhaps you just need a 
bit more support under the floor.  Or perhaps you can add channels 
for the motorcycles themselves, like 
this:  http://www.nealtrailermfg.com/triplemot.html.  That one is for 
three, but you could do two if that's what you need.

-Steve T.

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 15:48:50 -0500

> I've seen 5x8 ply mentioned for ping pong tables, but not in exterior grade.

5X8 and 5X10 are standard sizes for BS1066 marine plywood.  They'll
cost more (maybe much more), than the equivalent area in 4X8 sheets.
If carrying the bikes is the only reason for upgrading, I'd think hard
about a solution that just adds the support for the bikes.

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 17:08:23 -0400

> about a solution that just adds the support for the bikes.

This is the trailer. The mesh floor is barely strong enough to support me,
plus it lets in all the road spray/debris/etc. I'm at the very least going to
cover it with CDX, if I don't find anything better, since I also use it to
haul misc stuff, which right now requires a lot of "position engineering" so
the weight is on the crossmembers.

Your suggestion had me look at a few marine forums, and people asking the same
question were told to laminate their own from 3/8" (or pay big bucks). I'm not
near enough to the water to make it worth a trip anyway.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/carry-on-trailerreg%3B-5-ft-w-x-8-ft-l-
specialty-single-axle-trailer-1500-lb-payload-capacity

jim

[email-masked]

---

From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 18:21:50 -0400 (EDT)

> the weight is on the crossmembers.

    So, if I understand you correctly, your priorities are a solid, 
weather-resistant, inexpensive and lightweight floor?  That's gonna be 
tough, I think.  You might have to pick two or three.

    For what it's worth, since we're throwing out ideas, I just put a new 
layer of floor in my enclosed 20' car hauler.  The original floor was OSB, 
and not in terrible shape, but stained from various spills by the previous 
owner.  I covered it with 15/32nds plywood, and then coated that 
liberally with Herculiner.

    It wasn't stupid cheap ( although much of the ply was scrap I already 
had and I picked up 3 gallons for $40/ea on craigslist ) and I can't speak 
to the longevity yet as I just did it, but it's an idea.  The trailer had 
rubber coin-pattern interlocking tiles when I got it, but they didn't work 
for my use like I thought they would.  I transport a racecar that is 
almost always covered in ice and snow, so weather-proofing from the inside 
is paramount to me.

    If I were you, I'd probably put two coats of quality exterior paint on 
both sides of some plywood, then install it, and call it good.  In my last 
(enclosed) trailer, I used Behr porch paint on the floor, with play sand 
mixed in for traction.  That worked, too, but I didn't keep it long.

--
  David Hillman

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 18:38:27 -0400

>  So, if I understand you correctly, your priorities are a solid,
weather-resistant, inexpensive and lightweight floor?

Yes! Exactly! :-)

both sides of some plywood, then install it, and call it good.  In my last
(enclosed) trailer, I used Behr porch paint on the floor, with play sand mixed
in for traction.  That worked, too, but I didn't keep it long.

Any thoughts on the longevity of the sand? I will be putting down some kind of
non-skid, and didn't think sand would stay adhered to the paint for long.

jim

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 15:42:22 -0700

Jim - If you go with plywood, check with a real lumber yard.  I 
purchased 5x8 sheets of 3/4" exterior plywood for my balcony which is 5 
x 45.  It cost more than 4x8, but the time/labor savings of not ripping 
1' sections and blocking for the edges was worth it.

For clarification, the plywood is covered with a metal lath, waterproof 
cement, epoxy, and color/texture layers.

Brian

On 4/24/2015 7:53 AM, Jim Franklin wrote:
> There is 5x8 diamond plate (slippery and expensive), so I'm looking around for
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 11:47:26 -0400 (EDT)

> non-skid, and didn't think sand would stay adhered to the paint for long.

    Can't say, I didn't keep the trailer long enough.  Hot tires will pull 
up almost anything.  Sand/paint is probably the cheapest way to go, but if 
you are keeping this trailer for a long time, the additional cost of 
Herculiner or similar would not be, in my opinion, prohibitive.  You're 
talking $30/ga for exterior paint plus some sand, versus $78/ga for 
Herculiner ( on Amazon ).  Labor on each would be the same.

    Good luck.

[email-masked]