Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Axle ratio?

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:26:29 -0700

> Any 
> pointers?  I will 
> need to be towing a trailer quite a bit in the future and 
> need to know 
> how heavy I can go.

Since you won't be worried about the manufacturer's warranty, my suggestion is to get gauges for coolant, engine oil, and
transmission fluid temperature.  Keep an eye on them, as long as they don't overheat you can tow a LOT more than the factory rating.
Slow down & use lower gears as necessary to keep everything within range.

If it pulls too hard on the flat, you may need to always go down a gear while towing, and perhaps two or three gears while climbing
grades.  

I've gone through the Rockies several times now, towing several times the rated tow capacity, and got by fine.  Once when it was
really hot outside, we wound up grinding up a grade in 1st gear at 8 mph, but we got there.  However that was with a manual
transmission, so I only worried about oil & coolant temps.

-- Randall  
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive