Subject: [Shop-talk] Composite Decking

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 18:27:20 GMT

I query the group for any composite decking expertise/advice.

Background:
My wife wants me to build a deck off the back of the pool near the SHOP.  She
is seeking a good location for afternoon sun as her normal spot gets shaded.
I figure I will use some manner of composite decking, seeking a durable, long
lasting surface with minimal upkeep.
I think I am good to go on the general deck construction, but I am finding
that there are many options for the decking.
Years ago a good friend made an expensive mistake when he bought something
maybe then 30% less costly than the top of the line option and within 3-4
years he said it just fell apart.  It swelled, it sagged, it was terrible.  He
tore it all out and started over with top of the line trex and while costly,
it has held up well.

I have done some reading on WPC (wood plastic composites) in general and it
sounds like they are now claiming "second generation" status, building on some
of the lessons learned.  Apparently Trex has spent a lot of $$ replacing decks
and no longer advertises their product as "maintenance free".  They found
mildew staining to be a recurring problem.  One of the solutions is a "capped"
product that uses a WPC core but a more plastic covering to reduce some of the
staining/variability of the wood fibers.

 I have an existing deck on the back of the house that needs attention.  I was
thinking I would just re-deck with whatever I use on the new construction.
But it occurred to me that the existing deck is still solid, but no longer
aesthetically pleasing.   Would simply overlaying the existing deck with new
WPC decking be a viable option?

Finally, there seems to be a wide variety of fastener systems.  From the
material paired hidden systems to options like Cortex that still goes down
through the material but hides behind plugs and uses cutter/driver bits.

So specifically I am looking for
1)  recommendations on material.

2)  thoughts on overdecking

3)  recommendations on fastener systems.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Matt Barre
Columbus GA  -  dampness/mildew is as much of a threat as UV here.

____________________________________________________________
Forget the iPhone 6
1 little-known Apple supplier holds wealth-changing growth potential.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/552fff651c5137f653cb7st02vuc
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:41:07 GMT

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Good info.

Dave,
Asphalt shingles is exactly what I was thinking about.

I consider that application ill advised due to heat, weight, and the
additional mess when it actually gets done right.
But what makes it a bad idea for a deck?
I was thinking about orienting the boards 90 degrees to the existing.  Support
definitely wouldn't be an issue.

Matt

---------- Original Message ----------
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>

Do you mean literally putting new deck boards on the existing boards,
as is done with asphalt shingles?

The first is a bad idea.
--
David Scheidt
[email-masked]

____________________________________________________________
Old School Yearbook Pics
View Class Yearbooks Online Free. Search by School & Year. Look Now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5530ffcfd3f37fce7b6cst04vuc
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:24:35 -0500

> On Apr 17, 2015, at 07:41, Matt <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I was thinking about orienting the boards 90 degrees to the existing.
Support definitely wouldn't be an

Two to start with. First, the deck was not likely designed with more than
double the dead load of the planking in mind.  Wind load will do a number on
it.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 16:38:17 GMT

I AM TAKING CARE OF MY
PROCRASTINATION ISSUES
Just you wait & see!

Professional Fl&#65533;neur

AGE RES PROPRIAS TUAS

MOLON LABE

 Certainly 2 good, logical reasons.

On For my application, I don't think the weight will be a major factor as it
is overbuilt and only 1-2 feet above grade,
but moisture is a concern.  There isn't much airflow  around it now so it
would be even less with a layer op plastic on top.

---------- Original Message ----------
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
To: Matt <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Composite Decking
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:24:35 -0500

Second, you'll trap water between the layers, and encourage rot.
____________________________________________________________
Forget the iPhone 6
1 little-known Apple supplier holds wealth-changing growth potential.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/55313754c2b9537542911st04vuc
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]