Subject: [Shop-talk] Weird Rotor Issue

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:18:37 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 04/17/2015 13:18:39, Serialize complete at 04/17/2015 13:18:39

Hello,

The SO's car is a Toyota MR2 Spider  (05).  She doesn't drive it alot and 
it sat all winter in WV under a carport roof.

Now, the brakes are making some noise and the car isn't stopping properly 
(it takes longer to stop and there is speed related intermittent noise.)

Here is the weird part, I know that rotors can get rusty without use, and 
that is most likely what happened here.  The problem is that even after 
lots of driving, the edges of the rotors are still pitted and it looks 
like only the insides of the pads are stopping the car.

So, I was planning on flushing the brake fluid and driving it some more to 
see if that take care of the problem.  OR do I need to put new rotors on 
this car?  The pads still have plenty of meat on them.

SO is returning to WV on Weds, so I need to do this quick.  What's the 
wisdom here think is the safest option? (Toyota rotors are ridiculously 
over priced and don't want to replace all four if I don't need to.)

Here are two photos of the rotors...
>http://tinyurl.com/weirdrotor<

Thanks!

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:17:25 -0700

Eric,

The smaller braking area is typical of (salt) corrosion working it's way in
from the perimeter.  Replace the rotors with aftermarket If Toyota is too
pricy.  You now have a reduced braking area.

Jack

--- Original Message ---

From: [email-masked]
Sent: April 17, 2015 11:02 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] Weird Rotor Issue

Hello,

Thanks!

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Matt Wehland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:52:12 -0500

Only experience with one Toyota, 2009 Corolla, bought because I was 
tired of working on cars to get to work.

~33,000 miles and the brakes weren't working right.
Pads were worn, completely unevenly.
Calipers were stuck, pins rusted.
Not a big deal, but on a new car with that low of mileage?

As suggested check that the calipers are moving freely, grease the pins 
good.

Good Luck.

Matt

[email-masked]