Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mice?

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 08:30:07 -0500

The decon pellets definitely don't work all that well. I had trays in the
garage and shop a few years ago. They got emptied  but I never found any
bodies. Turns out the little bastards were taking the stuff and storing it for
later..... I had an engine for the Datsun on the stand over that winter. When
I started the disassembly process that spring the water pump was full of decon
pellets. The little bastards.

Moth balls and dryer sheets work as well.

good luck

> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 19:35:25 -0700
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Shop-talk] Mice?
>
> Or voles, or field mice.  Small rodents are trying to nest in the engine
> compartment of my 2004 Sierra (the previous subject of towing a bunch of
> iron to Utah from Washington).  Last week when I popped the hood a mouse
> was standing on the fan shroud just staring at me, then it wandered down
> to the extensive nest it had made above the left cylinder bank.  I
> vacuumed/blew the nest material out and went about my project of trying
> to determine the axle ratio/engine size. Today I moved the truck out of
> the shop and into the driveway and when I got out of the truck a mouse
> ran out of the engine compartment and into the shrubbery.  The engine
> smells like mouse pee, but I can't find any new nest.  I hosed the top
> of the engine block down with Lysol, but I need to find something to
> keep the mice away, if possible.  Any ideas?  I really don't want to
> have them get into the cab.  A few years ago they got into the ac/heat
> fan blower cage of my wife's Forester and THAT was a mess to clean out
> because they had babies.  Unfortunately they didn't survive cycling the
> fan a few times, and Subaru made the fan modular so it was pretty simple
> to get out once I figured out how.
>
> So any ideas on rodent repellant?  I have already asked my wife to have
> our pest control contractor come out and put bait stations in the shop,
> but that might not be enough.
>
> Thanks
> _______________________________________________
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Badger Mountain Motorworks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 09:29:13 -0700

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 09:21:20 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 04/19/2015 09:21:25, Serialize complete at 04/19/2015 09:21:25

Dave asks about pest control...

Dave, here is what I use...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/tomcatreg%3B-rat-and-mouse-place-pacs-22-piece-pail-3-oz-each

It really cheap. Don't worry about getting the 'stations'.  Just put these 
blocks in or near where you are having a problem.  Put them in a 'harder 
to reach' area if you have other animals that you like.

I live in the country where mice and rats love to get into my trailers/ 
barns/ etc.  This stuff solved the problem.

I believe that once they eat it, they look for water (IE, leave the 
house/car) and when they drink it expands and kills them.  So no dead 
critters IN the house to smell.

I'm not sure that is how these work, but since I've been using them, I 
don't have an critter problems and I had to start feeding the stray cats 
cause there isn't enough 'mices' for them to eat.

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Gordie Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 17:03:02 +0000 (UTC)

I've found Contrac blocks to be about the best...buy a multi-yr supply at www.domyownpestcontrol.com, here http://tinyurl.com/pqz4qud . 
Pro pest guy once told me blocks prevent their ability to move and store before ingesting. 
Last winter particularly bad here (Michigan) for some reason, but with blocks had none in garage, house, or shed. Tried for the AC unit, but died doing so. 

HTH 
Gordie 

----- Original Message -----

From: [email-masked] 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2015 9:21:20 AM 
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mice? 

[email-masked] 

[email-masked]