Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Grinder pedestal

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 20:15:44 -0500

At 07:50 PM 2/9/2015, Brad Kahler wrote:

 >I've got several bench grinders that I would like to mount on some sort of
 >movable pedestals.  I don't want to anchor them to the floor so whatever I
 >end up using needs to be stable but portable.

Brad,

What my neighbor did for all his tools like that was to purchase some 
stands from
Sears and put wheels on them.  Similar to this:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-workstation/p-00922284000P?prdNo=1

Most pedistals will probably be too unstable unless secured to the floor.

Harbor freight has a Universal Bench Grinder Stand that looks like it might
be more stable than a three legged pedistal:

http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-bench-grinder-stand-3184.html

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brian and Wendy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 18:47:56 -0700

My dad has had a couple of grinders on stands using old semi-truck wheels as
the base. They are extremely stable and don't move around. They have been this
way for years (30+). They consist of a piece of 4" pipe, welded to the wheel,
with a flat plate welded to the top that the grinder can bolt to.

Occasionally the wheels crack through the lug holes and are no longer useful.
You may be able to get a tire shop to give you one of those. Also, if you can
find the old split rim type, people will usually give those away as well.

You could also probably use regular car/truck wheels, you just may need to add
some concrete for ballast.

Any of the above options should be easily moved with a hand truck.

Brian

[email-masked]

---

From: "Kent Sullivan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 23:02:28 -0800

I went the wheel-and-post route ~15 years ago and have been very happy with
the stability. Bonus is you can roll it easily over short distances to do
minor repositions.

--Kent
-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Brian
and Wendy
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2015 5:48 PM
To: Shop Talk List
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Grinder pedestal

My dad has had a couple of grinders on stands using old semi-truck wheels as
the base. They are extremely stable and don't move around. They have been
this way for years (30+). They consist of a piece of 4" pipe, welded to the
wheel, with a flat plate welded to the top that the grinder can bolt to.

Occasionally the wheels crack through the lug holes and are no longer
useful.
You may be able to get a tire shop to give you one of those. Also, if you
can find the old split rim type, people will usually give those away as
well.

You could also probably use regular car/truck wheels, you just may need to
add some concrete for ballast.

Brian

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 06:10:28 -0500

John,

The Sears bench has a larger foot print than I would like.  I didn't
realize Harbor Freight made stands like the one in the link you provided.
That one has some potential although moving or sliding it around might
prove a little difficult.

My shop setup is somewhat fluid as I'm always moving things around
depending on the project I'm working on at the time.

Thanks!

Brad

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 06:24:19 -0500

Brian,

When I posted my request a used wheel was what was lurking in the back of
my mind.  I'm curious to see the picture(s) Eric will be posting to see
what his sand looks like.  There's a used truck place south of me that I
might try calling to see what they have for used wheels laying around.

Thanks!

Brad

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 8:47 PM, Brian and Wendy <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> this
> can
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]