Subject: [Shop-talk] removing magnet

From: "john niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 20:02:57 -0600

I've got a magnetic parts disk. 6" chrome plated metal dish with a big ole
honkin magnet on the bottom (hence the 'magnetic parts dish' )   I need to
remove the magnet apprantly it's glued on ???   what will break this loose
???  tried a hammer and and prying it off.   All that did was break the
magnet and bend the dish.   unscarred is what I need.   what about heat ??
maybe melt the glue ??? or whatever is holding the two together ???

john

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 21:38:03 -0500

I've done a lot of work with cryogens over my career.  If you fill the bowl
with liquid nitrogen, the glue will get brittle and the bowl will contract
at a different rate and almost certainly pop free.  If you don't have
access to liquid nitrogen, you might be able to get it cold enough by
filling it with dry ice and a very low freezing liquid (I usually use
acetone).  Then give it a good whack with a rubber mallet when it's very
cold.

It's funny, I have one of those dishes in my garage and the magnet won't
stay on because I knocked it off the lift and the glue broke when it hit
the ground.  Sounds like you'd have considered that lucky!

Actually, why do you need them apart?  If you're near Michigan, you can
have mine.

-Paul

[email-masked]