Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] How to clear snow from ridge vents?

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 09:20:11 -0500

Don't the Swiss use artillery to start avalanches?

Snow on the roof is something that rarely causes a problem down here,
but could you toss a long rope over the roof so that you and a helper
could drag it along the axis of the ridge and dislodge the snow?

Just thinking out loud...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Nere in the NE where we're getting 40 days and nights of blizzard, I have
> about 3' of snow on my roof, 2.5 stories up. Noticed the first evidence of ice
> damming this morning. I have a modern roof with full soffit and ridge vents,
> but the system isn't working due to the ridge vent being buried.
>
> How do I clear the vent of all that snow? The opening in the sheathing is too
> small to get anything mechanical up in there. I thought about a heat lamp, but
> with no other exit for the warm air that might cause more harm. The attic
> floor is insulated and the roof is not, which is good. Getting onto the roof
> is not at all possible except with a really long lift given how far the ridge
> is from the driveway.
>
> thanks,
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Eric J Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 09:42:48 -0500

> I have a modern roof with full soffit and ridge vents,
> How do I clear the vent of all that snow?

IME, the snow that needs to be removed is at the lower edge of the roof - 
from above the side walls to the overhang. Which is what snow rakes/roof 
rakes do. But I don't know if they'd reach 2 1/2 stories high.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_snow-ice-removal+roof-rakes

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 08:47:44 -0600

Snow rake?

http://www.bing.com/search?q=snow+rakes+for+roofs&qs=AS&sk=AS1&pq=snow+rake&
sc=8-9&sp=2&cvid=4e70a00f5a394c999ea14caf66836027&FORM=QBLH&ghc=1

I have two, each having aluminum pole sections that clip together.  I use
all the poles together to make one large enough to clear my hangar roof.

Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jim
Franklin
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 8:09 AM
To: shop-talk List
Subject: [Bulk] [Shop-talk] How to clear snow from ridge vents?

Nere in the NE where we're getting 40 days and nights of blizzard, I have
about 3' of snow on my roof, 2.5 stories up. Noticed the first evidence of
ice damming this morning. I have a modern roof with full soffit and ridge
vents, but the system isn't working due to the ridge vent being buried.

How do I clear the vent of all that snow? The opening in the sheathing is
too small to get anything mechanical up in there. I thought about a heat
lamp, but with no other exit for the warm air that might cause more harm.
The attic floor is insulated and the roof is not, which is good. Getting
onto the roof is not at all possible except with a really long lift given
how far the ridge is from the driveway.

thanks,

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 09:52:23 -0500

> IME, the snow that needs to be removed is at the lower edge of the roof -
from above the side walls to the overhang. Which is what snow rakes/roof rakes
do. But I don't know if they'd reach 2 1/2 stories high.

They won't, and I can't get through the snow on the ground if they could.

However, the issue is the ridge vent. Once it's clear, the attic stays cold
enough to prevent any melting.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 07:01:36 -0800

No idea if this would work with that much snow, but what about trying to blow
it out from the inside with an electric leaf blower?

-Darrell

> On Feb 13, 2015, at 6:52 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
rakes
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 10:08:16 -0500

Maybe if it was fresh powder, but this has been up there 2 weeks. Not going
anywhere (if it was still powdery, the winds would have blown it off the
peak). Plus, the gap between the sheathing and ridge beam is only about 3/4",
not enough to get any appreciable airflow.

I did think about using the compressor hose to poke a hole, but it won't fit
either.

jim

On Feb 13, 2015, at 10:01 AM, Darrell Walker wrote:

>
> No idea if this would work with that much snow, but what about trying to
blow it out from the inside with an electric leaf blower?
rakes

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bob Kegel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 08:56:18 -0800 s=q20140121; t=1423846584; bh=J2JfLHnpwr6Npjlwo9yk2I3PEc3vA7Vm/ubJBWwRFnM=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=tqAqK7yJxy3iyGqZ2C45TLmF2TRVk7JYRjBHII4ZSwpviopbDzOuN+WfN6CK2MPmh 25+v+IWGChnVk6q1NpgQckvjGhzJbJ1Sh0TjVrz6vPZ/uwBwhh7VG8AMMRznc8Ao2+ H+hLVComKjFEk/hPlRUusni8rCc7H0cPyzmDEuGH9TY/RcdAraSlXzTpKD1mXmrK2Z HI72VhW/9754EdN35So5VEKYg/Af6gxGK7gjX8VkhhLwhrBkF27oyIBeBsbfijxZUO 7uWT69wK8IVBKEDit4yPsqWaxIHnYXpULVL1mfGP+TY38Wdn/2PH+LFFmBCAp/F6uB 1ZQz7aKUZ+P4Q==

> Don't the Swiss use artillery to start avalanches?

The Washington State Department of Transportation has an artillery section 
with recoilless rifles in fixed mounts, towed howitzers, and M60 tanks. 
Obviously not suitable for residential use. Would this system 
http://avalanche-snow.com/ work ?

Bob K 

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:05:15 -0500

On Feb 13, 2015, at 11:56 AM, Bob Kegel wrote:

> Would this system http://avalanche-snow.com/ work ?

2.5 stories up and a somewhat modest pitch means I'd need to be 60' away in
the street to be aligned with the plane of the roof. So, no :-)

The Fire Dept hose could have it cleared in 5 mins. Maybe I should pitch that
to them as a fund raising effort...
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:06:46 -0500

I might just find a way to get up there and clear it myself. Ice dams 
can turn into ice "damns".

[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:01:00 -0500

On 2/13/2015 12:05 PM, Jim Franklin wrote:
> his system http://avalanche-snow.com/ work ?

Could make lots of money until a roof collapses.

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]