Subject: [Shop-talk] Grinder pedestal

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 19:50:05 -0500

I've got several bench grinders that I would like to mount on some sort of
movable pedestals.  I don't want to anchor them to the floor so whatever I
end up using needs to be stable but portable.

I've got several of the Harbor Freight 3 footed pedestals that would only
work if anchored to the floor and worse they are two short to use.

Any suggestions on something that can be purchased, fabricated or what not?

Thanks,

Brad
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 19:44:19 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 02/09/2015 19:44:06, Serialize complete at 02/09/2015 19:44:06

I just have a 6" sewer pipe with two pieces of C channel on the ends. It's 
free standing, but heavy enough to hold still when in use.  Note, I also 
have 2 grinders mounted, back to back, on them.  I just spin them around 
to get to the other grinder.

Works great.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 

Brad Kahler <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: "Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
02/09/2015 07:32 PM

To
Shop Talk List <[email-masked]>
cc

Subject
[Shop-talk] Grinder pedestal

Any suggestions on something that can be purchased, fabricated or what 
not?

Thanks,

Brad

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 21:26:06 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 02/09/2015 21:25:52, Serialize complete at 02/09/2015 21:25:52

I'll post some tomorrow.

Eric P

02/09/2015 08:03 PM

To
[email-masked]
cc
Shop Talk List <[email-masked]>
Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Grinder pedestal

Eric,

Got a picture you could send me?

Thanks!

Brad

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 7:44 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

I just have a 6" sewer pipe with two pieces of C channel on the ends.  
It's free standing, but heavy enough to hold still when in use.  Note, I 
also have 2 grinders mounted, back to back, on them.  I just spin them 
around to get to the other grinder. 

Works great. 

Eric P

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 07:15:11 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 02/10/2015 07:15:13, Serialize complete at 02/10/2015 07:15:13

Here are two quick photos...  Note, I said to use 2 c channels, but I have 
a piece of plate steel on the bottom of mine. 

>http://www.megageek.com/photo/photoa~1.nsf/a7ffeab012bbfb5b85256eb1007ca7f6/272bd8b8fb3eb59e85257de800443e4f?OpenDocument<

Let me know if you need better photos

Eric P

[email-masked]

---

From: Joe Szwed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 09:20:07 -0500

I welded one up for my Dad once where he used an old disc blade from an old
set of agricultural disc's.  It wasn't real heavy but because of how it was
domed, it was very sturdy.  It set on the floor nice and didn't rock at
all.  I built a few stand bases using channel iron in a cross or an "H" for
myself.  I have seen many times over the years where people used as
mentioned, car or truck rims, rotors or brake drums.  It seems to be one of
those things where most people use whatever they have on hand.  Thinking
about it off the top of my head, I have a old cast iron base from a patio
umbrella that would make a nice base for a stand.

Joe

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 19:21:22 -0500

Eric, how stable is that pedestal?

Looks like it would tip over when applying pressure to the wheel while
grinding or buffing.

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 05:56:33 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 02/11/2015 06:50:02, Serialize complete at 02/11/2015 06:50:02

It's pretty stable.  It's meant to be bolted down, but I don't need it to 
be.  If you used a slightly larger c channel for the base, it would be 
even better.

Eric P

02/10/2015 07:04 PM

To
[email-masked]
cc

http://www.megageek.com/photo/photoa~1.nsf/a7ffeab012bbfb5b85256eb1007ca7f6/272bd8b8fb3eb59e85257de800443e4f?OpenDocument
< 

Eric P

[email-masked]