Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Shop door combo lock not opening in freezing cold

From: "Bob Kegel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 14:10:14 -0800 s=q20140121; t=1423347022; bh=Gu0rA3Rq8OY0yXzHW8JQH9GtG24fpLlBVzfm4zI3+mg=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=fLDvo1maIGvz8u4yg79Ur/8/uvFk7QZUhRiVcFIxDrAATAbg24OdrKqWGrlvBHq+l b7O532j0lk4ulI8kqW0YVeKxnpRXJrJ/37umxx+N64w5Jq12YI4LVhhenZesrjFNOy pgQbpSBdYeBfUap5x6cc7v5TCByN/cEUXGQscj4G5Y8SIZC1wCwwPvZtSXwoKQqTgE RfPXDfYeOL+v2/xly5QQ9MiXwobr5tRMerO0TFdYLzhda4ekbAI5Gh9UpNOQ3bQ2sP Ln6KEXGFkS5D9SaR530Gu8VKUjKPqHQjajOhn5Am6b/Gahp13cYQGgk9x4cNR4MNQ2 t11rQ2n/3A7Rw==

>  I've tried lubricating it to no avail (I don't know if that might
> have made it worst.)

Back in the days when I was (barely) earning a living as a photographer, the 
SOP for cold-proofing mechanical cameras was to strip them of all 
lubricants.  If it were my lock misbehaving, I'd clean it out and re-lube 
with something silicone-based.

Bob K 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 14:23:49 -0800

That's what my dad and a whole lot of other GIs found out in Korea, too.

You probably don't want to do what they did to thaw them out.

On 2/7/2015 2:10 PM, Bob Kegel wrote:
>
> Back in the days when I was (barely) earning a living as a 
> photographer, the SOP for cold-proofing mechanical cameras was to 
> strip them of all lubricants.

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 17:25:03 -0500

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Bob Kegel <[email-masked]> wrote:
> If it were my lock misbehaving, I'd clean it out and re-lube with something
> silicone-based.

Or better yet, a dry graphite powder.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:37:33 -0500

When I initially started to reply, I was on my mobile and didn't go to the
link, and thought you were talking about a padlock or similar. I was going
to simply suggest you dunk the whole lock into a container of warm fresh
Mobil 1 for a day or so and let that coat everything.

I suppose my recommendation still stands, so long as the lock is not
electronic. Otherwise, it sounds like you need to seriously coat the
internals with something non-conductive and hydrophobic, as it sounds like
moisture/condensation is building up in there. Maybe it needs better
ventilation to keep condensation at bay. Does it get wet when it rains, or
is it under cover?

-Peter

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 4:11 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have this lock on my shop door...(not this exact model, but they are
> pretty universal.)
>
> >
>
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/929947669100305996?q=simplex+combinat
ion+door+lock&biw=1280&bih=909&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.85464276,d.eXY&t
ch=1&ech=1&psi=RYLWVI7nNcShNr7YgYAC.1423344205404.3&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX0CIlsO
CNb676a1hTuvMidoOrU4cTHVwJVJNw-E-BwqN04yAthx_STsdpJZAXMMX4zKfLyACf2dnx6HxedIx
dRzBMgXwa0PrJmwPAlY92gZ7ZGYTzhIZAFPVH727dL1KTdKA2mzicfWeyaS1qu25bw&sa=X&ei=SY
LWVOL2FcmlNs2dg9gM&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAA
> <
>
> For a few years, I've had the problem of it not unlocking in freezing
> cold.  I've tried lubricating it to no avail (I don't know if that might
> have made it worst.)
>
> The problem with fixing it is that as soon as I remove it and open it up,
> it's warm enough to funciton properly.  I thought about leaving it in a
> freezer but I don't know if that would work.
>
> Any ideas for soving this delima?  (This lock is rated for outdoor use.)
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> Eric P
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:48:14 -0500

If you're trying to fix it, I'd remove it and put it in an oven at around
105 Celsius (~220 Fahrenheit) for a couple hours.  That is warm enough to
evaporate any moisture, but cool enough not to wreck any plastics.  Then
wipe it out internally the best you can and lubricate it with graphite or
silicon or something else that won't get too viscous in extreme cold.

I'm working on keyless access to my shop, and I have this in my Amazon
wishlist right now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026SZNW4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&c
olid=HIRUHJ9AFCEB&coliid=I2GTXBIF49K8SE&psc=1

So if you have too hard a time fixing what you have, you might just want to
replace it with a decent keypad deadbolt.  They're not terribly expensive
and they're fairly secure.

-Paul

[email-masked]