Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Grinder pedestal

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 20:20:45 -0500

Eric,

Got a picture you could send me?

Thanks!

Brad

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 7:44 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> I just have a 6" sewer pipe with two pieces of C channel on the ends.
> It's free standing, but heavy enough to hold still when in use.  Note, I
> also have 2 grinders mounted, back to back, on them.  I just spin them
> around to get to the other grinder.
>
> Works great.
>
> Eric P
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
> Waldo Emerson
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 21:36:35 -0500

I have one of those Craftsman folding workbenches with the two-piece
clamping top surface.
It is pretty stable.  I also have several benchtop tools, like a small
router table, a small band saw, and a buffer.
I mounted each of these tools on a a 14" x 24" piece of plywood with an
additional 2" wide strip running across
the underside.  To use a tool, I put it on top of the workbench with the 2"
strip between the two pieces of
workbench table, so it can be clamped in place.  The tools that are not
being used live on some shelving brackets
on my garage wall.

This system has worked well for me.

Doug

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Brad Kahler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I've got several bench grinders that I would like to mount on some sort of
> movable pedestals.  I don't want to anchor them to the floor so whatever I
> end up using needs to be stable but portable.
>
> I've got several of the Harbor Freight 3 footed pedestals that would only
> work if anchored to the floor and worse they are two short to use.
>
> Any suggestions on something that can be purchased, fabricated or what not?

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 21:53:52 -0500

Relating to an earlier post on another topic, I have had bad experiences 
with my F250's brakes.  The good news is the wasted rotors make nice 
heavy bases for different kinds of tool stands, including a grinder.  I 
welded a plate to the bottom of a 2x3 inch tube and drilled holes in 
that plate to bolt to the rotor.  Another plate welded to the top of the 
tube serves as a base for the grinder.  The heft of the rotor keeps it 
firmly planted, easy to stand on for more stability if needed, and easy 
to move around.

I made a similar one to hold a mailbox to win the war against the city 
plows.  It falls down, I stand it up.  A greatwinter survivor.

Jim

On 2/9/2015 7:50 PM, Brad Kahler wrote:
> Thanks,
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 21:22:46 -0600

Another possibility is a large truck brake drum filled with concrete, with a
pipe upright and a steel top.  Large diameter is more important than
absolute weight - even a big circle of 1/2" steel would work well and you
could stand on it to add stability if you're using it for heavy buffing or
wire-wheeling on big stuff.

I use a now-unobtainable option.  My Dad found a round cast iron "No
Parking" sign base sometime in the late 40's and it's pretty much perfect.
Probably 40-50 pounds, about 18" in diameter at the base,  easy to roll to
another location, and really sturdy.  I've never seen another one, but if
they're still to be found somewhere, it's a perfect base.

Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim
Subject: [Bulk] Re: [Shop-talk] Grinder pedestal

Relating to an earlier post on another topic, I have had bad experiences
with my F250's brakes.  The good news is the wasted rotors make nice heavy
bases for different kinds of tool stands, including a grinder 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: RandE <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 21:41:55 -0600

I did something similar.  I mounted some benchtop tools (scroll saw,
grinder, sheetmetal brake, etc.) to a piece of plywood and attached a cleat
across the underside.  I can put this on my Workmate and clamp against the
cleat to hold everything in place and it's still portable.

Randy

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 8:36 PM, Doug Braun <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 20:04:02 -0800

Or even not filled with concrete.  I have several grinders mounted on 
large brake drums from school buses.  Heavy and large enough that no 
concrete is needed.  Check with your local school district bus barn; 
they may have an old one you can have.

[email-masked]

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 20:23:19 -0800

> they're still to be found somewhere, it's a perfect base.

This has *absolutely* nothing to do with bench grinder bases, though I 
think a disc or slab of steel or an old wheel with suitable weight on it 
should work fine.

I grew up in a house in the Sunset end of San Francisco, and our house 
- like many of the houses in the area - was equipped with a wonderfully 
sturdy kitchen table that was a linoleum-topped square of plywood 
attached to an oval shaped piece of 1/2in steel base.

My father, who'd been working in the Kaiser shipyards in Richmond until 
he was drafted in early 1943, noted that that all those oval-shaped 
table bases were passageway cutouts from Liberty ship bulkheads.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 21:43:59 -0800

I second Doug's idea.  Assorted pieces of plywood with a 1x2 screwed to 
them make good bases.  I clamp it in my Black and Decker Workmate.

Another option is to attach your pedestal to a sheet of thicker plywood 
and stand on the plywood while you grind.  Use some threaded inserts to 
make the base easily removable for storage.

Brian

On 2/9/2015 6:36 PM, Doug Braun wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 06:27:33 -0500

Doug, interesting idea.  I've got one of the Black & Decker Workmate
benches and some plywood laying around.  I might give it a try before
spending money on wheels and pipes.

Thanks!

Brad

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:36 PM, Doug Braun <[email-masked]> wrote:

> the underside.  To use a tool, I put it on top of the workbench with the
> 2" strip between the two pieces of

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 07:15:02 -0500

Jim,

I hadn't realized F250 brake rotors were that large!  I'll have to take a
peek at my F250 diesel and see what they look like.

I wouldn't think the rotors would be large enough in diameter to provide
enough stability.

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing!

Brad

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Jim <[email-masked]> wrote:

> bases for different kinds of tool stands, including a grinder.  I welded a
> plate to the bottom of a 2x3 inch tube and drilled holes in that plate to
> bolt to the rotor.  Another plate welded to the top of the tube serves as a
> base for the grinder.  The heft of the rotor keeps it firmly planted, easy
> to stand on for more stability if needed, and easy to move around.
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Juhas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:15:10 -0500

Brad, I've done the same with smaller rotors as well; I have a bench-top
grinder mounted on a post over a Dodge 1500 front rotor.  That works pretty
well also.  I think it's partly the balance of the thing, the bottom-heavy
nature of it.

Sent via iPad
Jim Juhas

> On Feb 10, 2015, at 7:15 AM, Brad Kahler <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Jim,
>
enough stability.

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 19:17:24 -0500

Several people have suggested plywood as a base.  Plywood would probably be
the cheaper of the alternatives that are available.  Although I would like
to find out how much I can pick up a used truck wheel for.  Sadly a while
back I gave a way a steel rim from a chevy P30 chassis that was for 19.5"
tires.  That likely would have made an ideal candidate.

Brad

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 19:35:26 -0500

Let see, brake rotors, truck wheels, plow discs, lawn umbrella base,
plywood, work bench with plywood steel plates and more.

Lots of great ideas.  I think Joe nailed it when he said mostly people just
use what they have laying around.  I've got several of the objects people
have mentioned and reasonable access to other items that have been
suggested so now I just have to cobble something together so I can get back
to grinding :)

Thanks!

Brad

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 18:00:14 -0800

Well, I guess I can add my two cents.  Seems like the large diameter 
wheel would work best.  In my case, I didn't need the portability, so I 
just mounted it on the work bench.  Trouble is, it needs to be on the 
front of the bench for accessibility, but then it is in the way for 
other things.  I don't use it that often.  It's not a big grinder, and 
has rubber inserts in the holes in the base.  So I drilled four holes 
thru the bench (it's a 2x4 surface, covered with left-over tongue and 
groove hardwood from when we redid the floors in the house).  The holes 
are the same diameter as the bolts, so they are a fairly tight fit.  I 
leave the four bolts in the grinder base, and just drop them into the 
bench holes.  I have big wing nuts to hold them tight, but I have 
discovered that I don't even need the wing nuts for most jobs.

Mike

[email-masked]