Subject: [Shop-talk] Disc brake piston explosion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 19:20:37 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/25/2015 19:40:42, Serialize complete at 01/25/2015 19:40:42

Well, not exactly.  My buddy has a 2006 F350 pick up.  He called me 
because the rear brake was squirting fluid.  I when up to where he was. 
Turns out all four (two on each side) pistons in the rear brakes looked 
like they had been smashed with a sledge hammer.  I've never seen a brake 
piston fail like that before, never mind all four on the rear.

Weird thing was the pads on the passenger side were worn completely down 
and the rotor was shot.  The driver's side pads were rusty as well, but 
had almost all their 'meat' on them.

Any ideas what caused it?

Thanks

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 05:41:51 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/26/2015 05:41:53, Serialize complete at 01/26/2015 05:41:53

I don't know what they were made of.  Here is a photo of one of the 
calipers with the failed pistons in it.

http://www.megageek.com/photo/photoa~1.nsf/a7ffeab012bbfb5b85256eb1007ca7f6/d1f76fb58c8f84f685257dd9003a7e29?OpenDocument

Eric P

John Miller <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: "Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
01/25/2015 10:34 PM

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] Disc brake piston explosion

On 1/25/2015 7:34 PM, Tim . wrote:
> "F350 pick up."
> sorry. couldn't resist.

Are they steel pistons?

Ford tried phenolic-resin pistons in several applications a while back, 
and they were notorious for coming apart in heavy use.

But it would surprise me a LOT if Ford went down that road in something 
like an F350.

John.

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:35:04 GMT

Good link!
Excellent googleFu...

---------- Original Message ----------
From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Disc brake piston explosion
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 08:01:02 -0800

from this document:

https://my.cardone.com/English/Club/Products/Brakes/Protech/Training/brake2.p
df

is true, I think we're all gonna see a lot more of this.

John.
____________________________________________________________
The #1 Worst Carb Ever?
Click to Learn #1 Carb that Kills Your Blood Sugar &#40;Don&#39;t Eat
This!&#41;
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/54c66d0db8b896d0d643ast03vuc
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Miq Millman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:01:23 -0800

In addition to the note I sent you Eric, there is apparently a TSB on rear
calipers sticking.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1090527-f350-rear-parking-brake-sticking.html

I couldn't find it here for your specific year:
http://www.fordproblems.com/tsbs/F-350/2006/

Though 2011 has two listings:
http://www.fordproblems.com/tsbs/F-350/2011/

SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:DISC:CALIPER

Date Reported  MARCH 01 2011
NHTSA Reference  #10039049
TSB Reference  #AS-21800
Description: FORD: 2010-2011 F250/F350. THE FRONT OR REAR BRAKE CALIPERS
ARE STICKING. INFORMATION ON REPLACING THE CALIPERS. *RM

Repair Information for NHTSA #10039049

SERVICE BRAKES, AIR:DISC:CALIPER

Date Reported  MARCH 01 2011
NHTSA Reference  #10039049
TSB Reference  #AS-21800
Description: FORD: 2010-2011 F250/F350. THE FRONT OR REAR BRAKE CALIPERS
ARE STICKING. INFORMATION ON REPLACING THE CALIPERS. *RM

Repair Information for NHTSA #10039049

--
__
Miq Millman   [email-masked]
Tualatin, OR  Big Llama Productions

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Matt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:52:52 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/26/2015 11:52:57, Serialize complete at 01/26/2015 11:52:57

Thank you SO MUCH to everyone (Esp Miq with the TSB links.)

I passed this on to my buddy and he'll have to contact a dealer.  I doubt 
he can get re-embursted for the parts (and my labor) for fixing these. 8>(

Again, this place ROCKS!!!

Eric P

[email-masked]