Subject: [Shop-talk] Truck instrument cluster, dash, and parking lights died

From: Scott Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:32:32 -0500

I'm asking here because you guys probably know more than anyone on an
enthusiast site (and I searched those sites and got no answers).

I've got a 2004 F-250 Super Duty (diesel).

I just took out the OEM radio and replaced it with an aftermarket Pioneer
unit. I bought an the Metra harness adapter and wired it up according to
instructions.

Everything worked fine...for about a day or two. Then the dash lights went
out, along with the dimming function of the radio (so headlights on the
radio should dim. It did...then it quit). And the speedometer cluster and
the HVAC cluster lights are gone.

Then a few days later, the running lights quit working. So when I turn on
the lights in the truck, the headlights come on, but not the 'driving'
lights, including the rear lights. The brake lights illuminate when the
pedal's pushed, but not the running lights when just the lights are on.

Googling suggested replacing the headlight switch. I did, no fix. I checked
the fuses shown for running lights and they're good.

I for nothing after that, and I'm not sure where to go from there. But I'll
bet you guys know. Any help?

Thanks.

Scott
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:46:25 -0500

At 11:02 PM 1/21/2015, Brian Kemp wrote:

 >Scott - I have no specific experience here, but I'd start by taking 
out the new
 >radio and harness.  This will reduce the likelihood that they are 
the problem.
 >Maybe putting in the new radio pulled or squashed a wire.  .....

Brian,

Excellent responce.

The only additional thing I can think of is, does the new radio 
(which will be out of
the system when Scott removes I new radio harness) require more power than the
old one, ie, does it have a built in amp?  If so then it may be 
pulling too much
current and blown a fuse, a fusable link, or melted a run in the dash cluster.

Like Brian, I have no experience with this vechile, but I do have 
experience with
the Chyslers mini vans.  I know they have a habbit of a problem 
similar to what
Scott describes.  There is a cold solder join on the main connector 
that supplies
power to the dash cluster.  Hitting the dash will make the connection 
occassionally
and the dash lights and insturment will come back for a little 
while.  You have to pull
the cluster to fix this problem.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 09:59:17 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/22/2015 09:59:09, Serialize complete at 01/22/2015 09:59:09

Scott,

I'm not sure what it would entail (or even if it's possible) but can you 
put the stock radio back in for a test?

Some of these CAN systems get crazy when everything isn't 100% like it 
wants.  Especially if there are 'tie-ins' from other systems (I think you 
said the radio dims with the headlights).

If it's a matter of removing some dash and changing out a harness, it 
might be worth trying.  If you had to cut and splice wires to do the 
install, it may not be worth it.

Just a suggestion.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]