Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] new tool Oscillating tool

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:59:19 -0800

I have the cheap Harbor Freight version and recommend this type of tool 
as well.  They are great for close quarters where you don't have room 
for a bigger tool.  They also provide much greater control where 
neatness counts compared to a reciprocating saw.

Examples:

- Using a diamond blade to carefully remove grout so I could remove 
tiles without damage to surrounding area

- Cutting window casing to remove it without having to remove the window 
- nice neat line at the edge of the window that can be caulked

- Cutting the roof deck so I could get to one area of the attic from 
another.  This was flat on my belly with arms fully extended (low 
California roof)

- Cutting all nails and caulk to allow me to remove an exterior door 
without disturbing the exterior stucco molding

- Cutting studs in the wall without breaking drywall or popping drywall 
nails to install a new electrical panel

- Cutting installed base molding to either remove damaged sections or 
install wider door casing

I am on my second one, but the first had at least 50 hours of very hard 
use before dying.  I had no problem dropping another $20 for a new one.  
The more expensive models are probably better made and some make blade 
changing much easier than backing out an allen screw, so that is 
something to consider.

Brian

On 1/19/2015 4:07 PM, John Niolon wrote:
> I needed to replace a fogged up window in a french patio door.  in the
> stationary side.  Removed the trim and tried every way I could... the window
> would not come out... it was glued in to the side of the trim that did not
> remove...  tried utility knife and putty knife and pryed away but didn't want
> to break it...
>
> Enter the Rigid oscillating tool...  always wondered what I'd use one for...
> till a guy in Lowes said to try it to remove the glue on the window...   so I
> bought one  and slipped the blade between the window and the trim...  in about
> 20 minutes I'd removed 188" of hard glue and the window was out...  these
> things are handyier than a shirt pocket...
>
> gotta find more uses for this bad boy
>
> john
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Philip Ethier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 20:37:59 -0600

> Enter the Rigid oscillating tool...

>  gotta find more uses for this bad boy

You will, believe me.

Took out a chimney.  Had to fill the hole in the attic floor.  Original is
3/4" boards across joists.  Cut 3/4" plywood to run to centers of joists.
Squared up hole by running oscillating saw along plywood edge.  Inlay fits
perfectly.

-- 
[email-masked] still works also
Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 08:12:41 -0500

At 07:59 PM 1/19/2015, Brian Kemp wrote:

 >I have the cheap Harbor Freight version and recommend this type of tool as
 >well. ....

Brian,

I too have the cheap Harbor Freight version, have had it for about 5 
yrs or so.
It's probably the best $40 I've ever spent.

 >- .... Cutting all nails and caulk to allow me to remove an 
exterior door without
 >disturbing the exterior stucco molding

What blade did you use to cut the nails?  I've tried to cut nails but 
keep tearing the
teeth off the blade.

In addition to the uses you've mentioned, I've used mine to help as a scrapper
pulling up old vinyl flooring.  Cutting through calk to remove a counter top.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 21:09:15 -0800

John - I used a regular cutting blade and yes it did destroy the teeth 
by the end of the door.  Still, it was worth killing an old blade to get 
the job done.  Now that blade is a narrow scraping blade.  They do have 
metal cutting blades, but I didn't have one at the time.

Brian

[email-masked]

---

From: Badger Mountain Motorworks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 16:58:20 -0700

[email-masked]