Subject: [Shop-talk] Quad Copter with video cameras

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 14:13:50 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/09/2015 14:10:03, Serialize complete at 01/09/2015 14:10:03

OK, this is a little off-topic, but I'll be using it as a tool, so I guess 
that qualifies.

I'm looking to get a quad copter with a video camera to help me manage my 
wood farm and the surrounding areas.  I have lots of uses for something 
like this (also check the gutters of the shop, etc (so there shop 
content)).

I've been looking at these on Amazon and they don't give enough detail as 
to why one is better than the other.

(Note, I'm not looking at the little ones for under $100 bucks.  I've 
budgeted about $1000 for one, but can go higher if there is a good reason 
to.)

I don't need long 'flight times.'  I do want to be about to see the video 
as it's flying.  I would love to be able to take 'stills' as well in 
flight.

The camera needs to be able to point somewhat 'down.' (It seems most of 
these don't really look down much.)

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 06:19:45 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/10/2015 06:19:41, Serialize complete at 01/10/2015 06:19:41

Again, WOW! on the great answers.

The overwhelming majority seem to point to the DJI Phantom 2+ so I'm going 
with that.  I'm just waiting for the East coast to wake up so I can talk 
to someone.  8>)

I do have to say that I really HATE the way most new technology start ups 
constantly upgrade and improve designs (significantly) and use the same 
name with no real way to discern what item you are actually buying.

With this model, there is a new 3 v.0.  It has a new remote, motors, 
software, etc.  Yet the old one the and new one are named identically.

You can upgrade the old one to the new one, but if I want to buy the new 
one, it's hard to know what I'm getting.  (most sellers advertise the 
"v3.0" but that can mean its a new one or an upgraded one.)  UGG!!!

When you make major improvements, CHANGE THE MODEL NAME (or at least add a 
suffix!)

I'm done ranting.

Thanks again for all your help!

I'm going to throw a donation to the list since this was off topic!!!  (In 
fact, I think I'll make this a rule for me.  If I ask an off topic post 
and get a good answer, I'll donate again!)

Thanks.

Eric P

[email-masked]