Subject: [Shop-talk] 4-post lift thoughts

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 22:15:34 -0500

I'm in the process of resurrecting my older 4-post hydraulic cylinder &
chain car lift that I sadley let sit outside for a number of years. This
particular lift is rated at 9,000 lbs and is adjustible enough to handle my
Triumph TRs and F250 Super Duty diesel pickup.

Most of the modern lifts always seem to come with trays that fit between
the platforms so you can park a vehicle under the lift while storing one
above without leaking oil on the car below (these are Triumphs after all!)

I've been debating adding attachment rails to the platforms to hold trays
but I just don't know if its worth the trouble and expense when I could
probably just as easily use 1/4" or so plywood sections to accomplish the
same thing. Also these trays would only work when the platforms are a
specific distance apart.

Anyone have a 4-post lift that has the trays and if so how well do you like
them? I need to make a decision soon as I will probably be painting the
platforms this coming weekend.

Thanks,

Brad
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 14:30:46 GMT

I do like the idea of having at least one heavy duty sliding cross member
that I use with my 4 poster that I can put a bottle jack on and lift the car
with on the lift.On the other hand, I don't have full spanning trays.  This
discussion has me thinking.  The idea of flat actually appeals to me - I am
not anticipating gallons of oil or coolant or fuel to come raining down.  I am
looking to optimize light weight and ease of storage.  Flat "slats" maybe 2-3
feet wide that would span the platforms up to as wide as I use them (for
truck) that would stack on top of each other when not deployed is what I am
considering.  I have rolls of oil absorbant matting that I would lay on top of
the slats to prevent dripping down as that is all I would normally be battling
is drips.  I might have to have a couple of shorter ones that would fit
between tiers on the skinniest car. Matt

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Cc: Shop Talk List <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 4-post lift thoughts
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 09:05:16 -0500

Paul,

You've got a good point about not using something flat and/or absorbent.

____________________________________________________________
The #1 Worst Carb Ever?
Click to Learn #1 Carb that Kills Your Blood Sugar &#40;Don&#39;t Eat
This!&#41;
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/54aaa04077bf3204062best04vuc
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 09:48:32 -0500

Matt,

I fabricated a heavy duty angle iron platform that sits down between the
platforms that allows me to use a bottle jack.  I made it mainly for use on
my Triumphs so it's too narrow to use with my F250.  90% of my work is on
the Triumphs so I felt that was good enough for me.  I also have a couple
of long 2"x4" channels that I use to span the platforms that I use to set
jack stands on.  They work well for when I need to remove a wheel to work
on suspension or brakes.

Brad

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Matt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 18:51:51 -0500

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Kahler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 18:55:30 -0500

[email-masked]