Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Class Project Suggestions

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 14:40:41 -0500

If you can get it to use gas, that machine is probably fine for auto sheet
metal,
and stuff up to 3/16" or so.

Doug

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Patton Dickson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have a Weld-Pak 100, but already know that it is too weak to do much,
> will upgrade after I have a little time under my belt.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Patton Dickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 13:44:08 -0600

It can use gas, I just need ot buy the conversion kit

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-Weld-Pak-100-Wire-Feed-Welder-MIG-Conversion-Kit-K610-1/100341065

This guys has a video telling the aftermarket parts to buy to put the kit
together at nearly half the price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjPLTpl04j0

-- 
Patton Dickson  - Plano, TX
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 16:33:09 -0800

Sorry I am late chiming in but building a cart is a waste of time when you
can buy one from Horrible Freight for about $50.  The are acceptably good.

Learning to weld is smart as it is a useful and barter-able skill.  I am the
neighborhood welder.

Also, Mr. 57 Healey, this is a great skill for tasks on my 1960 TR3 and my
1980 TR8.

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Patton Dickson
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2015 11:09 AM
To: Shop-Talk
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Class Project Suggestions

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I am going from a zero base and will be
sure to let the instructor know that I need to learn sheet metal, but I am
interested in some of the larger steel projects.  I will make the bracket,
and probably a cart as well.

Here is the class description

An overview of the basic welding processes, including oxy-fuel welding and
cutting, shielded metal arc (SMAW), gas metal arc (GMAW), and gas tungsten
arc welding (GTAW). Set up machines and complete welds and cutting
operations involving SMAW, OXY-FUEL, GMAW, GTAW, and resistance spot
welding; practice basic shop safety; identify types of electrodes used in
welding processes; define various welding and cutting standards; and
demonstrate proper joint preparation techniques.

I'm really looking froward to this
Patton

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Rambour <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 16:37:30 -0800

I disagree...and agree.

  Yes, you can buy a cart for less than what you will spend on the steel 
and time but you will learn how to weld while building that cart.  I 
have always from my first welder on, built a cart for it, sometimes I 
spent double on steel than what I could have bought at Harbor Fright, 
and at least on the first one the welds were better at Harbor Fright but 
I built it to my specs and learned a lot.

     mike

[email-masked]

---

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 16:58:35 -0800

Mike, I understand completely.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mike
Rambour
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2015 4:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Class Project Suggestions

I disagree...and agree.

     mike

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 18:16:49 -0700

This is just a story I am sure I've told before many times, but the experience has stuck with me.

Many years ago when I was at the U of U a couple of the profs and myself enrolled in an evening
auto body repair course at a local high school. First night's class was in a classroom and consisted
of covering shop safety, outline of the course, blah blah blah.

The old fellow who was teaching sat up there and read from notes in such a dull monotone for what
seemed like hours and hours.  The profs and I kind of looked at each other with a "what have we done?"
look. Mercifully the lecture finally concluded, and he asked "Any questions?"

My friend Gary had brought in a fender from his Model A truck project. He asked the instructor to
take a look.

I have never in my life seen a human being transformed in such a short time. When the "boring old fart"
got his hands on that piece of metal he was a completely different person. Excited and animated, he pointed
out where previous work on the metal had work hardened this area, resulting in some incipient cracks at
the edge, he pointed out some warpage over here and so on. I almost expected him to provide the mileage of
the truck and the original paint color codes.  

Never in my life will I be able to look at a piece of metal with that master's wisdom and experience.
It was amazing.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 19:07:37 -0800

I had a similar experience in college.  The instructor for the Strength 
of Materials class read the textbook to the class in a slow monotone.  
Students were keeping track of things like "ah", "er", and all.  When we 
got in the lab and started testing various materials, he was a wealth of 
information.  Offered all sorts of useful stuff; after class he drove 
off in his Porsche 356.

Mike
------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 1/5/2015 5:16 PM, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> ______________________ 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 21:28:43 -0600

My instructor was super certified and even instructed welders from the Glen
Rose nuke sight.  One day I was carping about my school stick welder acting
different from the one in the next booth.    He asked my heat range; set
the amps at 1/2 of my range and ran a great bead . . .then he set it at
TWICE my amps and ran another great bead.  Merely adjusting arc length and
travel speed!  I am still in awe of his skill.
Tony

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Mike <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]