Subject: [Shop-talk] Water heater leak

From: David Cole <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 19:47:05 -0600

Hello all,

I've got an issue with my water heater.  50 gal electric.  Installed 2011 with
a 6 yr warranty.  I just bought the house 4 months ago.

It's in the basement bathroom.  I had noticed the floor wet around the unit
and thought I had a foundation leak issue.  Was happy when I just happened to
be in there when it puked a little water out the temp/pressure relief valve.
I removed it and there was a little corrosion in the valve and some white
substance similar to toothpaste ( lime?)

Replaced the valve under warranty.  Thank you US Waterheater!

I also turned the temp down from 130ish to the std 125 deg.  Wanted to make
sure there was not too much expansion.   Put a small bucket under the pipe
attached to the TPR valve.  The floor has dried up nicely even after heavy
rains so the foundation is good.

However, I'm still getting a little discharge from the TPR valve into the
bucket.  About a quart every 2-3 days.  We do use a lot of hot water with the
wife and 2 college age girls.  Have not checked the pressure but it doesn't
seem above normal.  Just good solid pressure.  The TPR valve is rated at 150
psi and/or 200 deg.

Ideas for a solution?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 14:46:39 GMT

Tough organisms...
-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Franklin
Subject: [Bulk] Re: [Shop-talk] Water heater leak

Also, look into raising that water temp a bit more:
"Warm, stagnant water provides ideal conditions for growth. At temperatures
between 200C-500C (680-1220F) the organism can multiply. Temperatures of
320C-400C (900-1050F) are ideal for growth.
____________________________________________________________
The #1 Worst Carb Ever?
Click to Learn #1 Carb that Kills Your Blood Sugar &#40;Don&#39;t Eat
This!&#41;
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/54ae987654f9518765e7est03vuc
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 11:14:02 -0800

> looks like the list can't process degree symbols and makes them zeros.

Yup.  The list server enforces "standard" 7 bit ASCII (aka US-ASCII), which includes a very limited subset of symbols.  Anything
else, it does its best to translate to 7 bit ASCII.  The degree symbol gets translated to a zero.

That may change soon, I believe our listmeister is experimenting with allowing HTML (including selection of character sets) on the
lists.  But it apparently hasn't happened for Shop Talk yet.

-- Randall  

[email-masked]