Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Welding Class Project Suggestions

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 10:23:17 -0800

What kind of class is it, and what is your skill level?

If you have low or zero experience, I would initially focus on just 
learning the basics of gas, stick and wire feed welding, and then, if 
they offer it, maybe try tig.  Learn the equipment, types and positions 
of welds, metal preparation, types of rod, and so on. Relax, take your 
time and take advantage of the experience of your instructor and the 
other students.  Welding and figuring out how to do projects can be a 
lot of fun.

If you already have, or once you get some basic experience, your 
projects are pretty much going to be dictated by what you need, but your 
fuel pump bracket for the Healy sounds like a good start. Build a full 
size cardboard mock up to figure out all the locations and joints, then 
cut it out and build it.

Welding projects are something we struggle with in my Ag Mechanics 
classes.  Years ago when a lot of the students came from farms or lived 
on acreage, there was always something that needed to be welded or 
fabricated.  Gates, trailers, hitches, farm or ag equipment, car and 
truck stuff.  Now most of the kids live in town or in apartments and 
most of them don't have a clue about what to make as a welding project.  
Building a deer feeder, a trailer dolly, engine lift or repairing a box 
blade is a foreign to them as building a space shuttle.

On 1/3/2015 9:57 AM, Patton Dickson wrote:
> I am finally signed up for a welding class at a local Community College.
> Any suggestions as to projects I should try.
>
> The only thing I have planned right now is a fuel pump bracket to better
> fit the aftermarket pump in my Healey.
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 12:52:32 -0600

I took a similar class at my local community college about 10 years ago. We
didn't do a class project, but I was only auditing the class and skipped the
TIg section at the end and did my own project instead. This was the
instructor's recommendation, figuring I was unlikely to be buying my own TIg
welder. That may have been a mistake, since Tig prices have since come down,
but with his help I made a custom tow bar for my Sunbeam Alpine.  That is a
nice thing to have, but with hindsight I might have been better off using the
time to practice sheet metal welding. The class focused 100% on work with
thicker steel and we never worked with sheet metal.  Working on it with the
instructor probably would have been a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 3, 2015, at 11:57 AM, Patton Dickson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: steve hochschild <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 12:54:35 -0600

Make a small patio table using square or rectangular tubing for the 
legs, and angle for the perimeter of the top.  Cut a piece of hardiboard 
for the top, and then you and your wife/friend/daughter can make a 
mosaic tile top for it.  Don't forget to cut and weld small pieces to 
fill in the bottom ends of the legs, so they don't sink into the dirt or 
dig into the deck.  Grind all the welds very smooth.  Spray paint it 
with the cool textured or hammered Rustoleum, or something else I like 
is bed liner paint.

This is good a good practice project, as it requires you to figure out 
how to use the right angle magnet or clamp, how to design the way the 
legs and angle meet, and how to weld tube.  Every patio or porch needs a 
plant stand or small table, and best of all, it makes this new activity 
look like it might add to the household.  And the womens luv mosaic 
crafting...

I have made a bunch of these, sold a few, and have morphed them into end 
tables using stainless, as well as stand up planters so my mother 
doesn't have to bend down to plant her flowers.  I have even given them 
as crafting gifts, with the thinset, grout, and table as a kit, leaving 
the recipient to design and buy the mosaic tile art. One friend ended up 
using broken porcelain like old plates that she got from the Goodwill to 
make a really beautiful ocean scene with sand, blue waves, and clouds in 
the sky.

My local community college welding class started with oxy/acetylene, 
then went to stick.  The second semester was where we got to MIG and 
TIG.  I would have preferred to have completely skipped the stick 
welding, as I have no interest there, but I have since purchased a MIG 
and two TIG welders.  Good luck!!!

On 1/3/2015 11:57 AM, Patton Dickson wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 13:37:42 -0600

Make a cart for the welder you want to buy.

Or you could do something like this guys stuff:

http://www.recycleart.ch/index.php?st&idMehrueber=0

Have fun!

> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 11:57:46 -0600
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Shop-talk] Welding Class Project Suggestions
>

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Andy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 19:52:40 -0500

Howdy,

Yeah, welding cart or table would be my suggestion as a nice first project.

Depends on if you have or are getting a welder for home.

Mark

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Tim . <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Eric J Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 21:06:49 -0500

> Any suggestions as to projects I should try.

What are your needs for the future? Most of the students are likely to be 
hoping for employment whereas as a hobbyist your needs may be different. As 
others have stated, they tend to use 1/8" - 1/4" thick steel in these 
classes. If you're wanting to learn to weld auto body steel then you may 
need to speak up and perhaps bring some sample pieces for 
instruction/practice.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC 

[email-masked]