Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Starter problems

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 14:28:22 -0500

On Jan 9, 2015, at 2:08 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> But, is there anything I can tell him to help him not burn through them as
> quickly?

The solenoid is part of the replacement right?

There could be low voltage causing it to overheat. Does it crank normally?
Might check/upgrade the cables, especially engine to body ground cable.

Could also be something serious like  mis-drilled starter holes, causing a
gear misalignment and extra load, or maybe the starter needs to be shimmed a
bit.  Do you know what the failure mode was?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John T. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 16:00:28 -0500

>Might check/upgrade the cables, especially engine to body ground cable.

What I've found is the contacts burn and the piston can't pull in 
across both the
input and output contacts.

http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/electrical/starting/art026.html

About 1/2 way done the article is a picture of a burned contact, and 
at the bottom
is a sketch of how and why that causes problems.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  [email-masked]
Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229

           48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1106)
      75 Bricklin SV1 (#0887)    77 Spitfire    71 Saab Sonett III
                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you can read this             - Thank a teacher!
If you are reading it in English - Thank a Vet!!

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Benjamin Zwissler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 16:08:22 -0500

Excessive heat is a major cause of starter failure.  To limit warranty
we put a software feature in our engine controllers to limit the time
you can crank within a given time period.  This avoids overtemping the
starter.  Changing the exhaust or removing heat shields could also
raise the temps the starter sees.

Beyond heat, vibration can be an issue, too.  That's mostly a design
issue, but again if there's been any mods to the truck (engine mounts,
calibration changes, etc.) that could cause a higher vibration profile
at the starter.

Ben.....

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]