Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] replacement windows

From: "Lee Daniels" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 21:43:28 -0600

I replaced every window in my house this year (>35 of them) and of course did
a fair bit of research before deciding. Like yours, they were 20+ years old,
wooden, single-pane and very tired.

We went with Simonton argon-filled (double-pane, low-e) vinyl windows. Wow,
they are *really* nice. The vertical ones are all double-hung, and they can be
released to pivot inward for cleaning the outside surface without going
outside (esp. nice for the upstairs windows). So, yeah, it was a major
investment, but it made an amazing difference in the heating/cooling
efficiency (esp. cooling here in the Houston area).

For installers, just ask around and get references from your
friends/neighbors. My neighborhood has it's own email list and we all help
each other out with contractors/painters/roofers/etc. Labor is cheap here but
we figured about $500/window.

 - Lee

On Mon, December 29, 2014 09:13, John Niolon wrote:
> need to replace some 20+ year old wooden windows in shop and house...  any
> recommendations or warnings about the manufacturers/installers...   I'm tired
>  of painting windows !!!
>
> john
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 00:32:07 -0500

Not everyone knows this, but the term "replacement windows" has a 
particular meaning.  Not everyone who replaces windows uses 
replacement windows.  Replacement windows are designed to be 
installed inside the opening of the existing window.  The existing 
trim, sills and sashes are left in place.  The advantage of this is 
that a lot less work is involved.  Interior trim and exterior siding 
are not disturbed.  The disadvantage is that the opening part of the 
window is now smaller, because the whole assembly fits inside the 
previous opening.  This is easier to understand when looking at 
them.  Anyway, if you know all of this, I am sorry for making 
you  read through the refresher course.  I once got a free window air 
conditioner because someone installed replacement windows, and it no 
longer fit in the opening.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

[email-masked]