Subject: [Shop-talk] Since it's been quiet here, I'll add a second questions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:42:10 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 12/08/2014 15:42:10, Serialize complete at 12/08/2014 15:42:10

OK, on my plow tractor (a Hustler 275zero turn) I have flood lights to be 
able to plow at night.

Here is the problem, if I run the lights, they work fine at first, then 
they seem to 'short out' the ignition after running a while.  Problem is, 
I can't find the short.

Is this most likely just a shorted out wire, or is it possible that the 
alternator could be causing a problem?  What are some troubleshooting 
steps I can take?

(Darn, I really wanted to fix this in the summer, but now I've already had 
to plow 3 times here in NJ!)

Thanks

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Pat Horne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:37:19 -0600

Sounds like the alternator is not able to keep up with the load of ignition
and lights. If it is easy to take the alternator off, take it to a shop for
testing. Check the specs on the lights, add about 10A for ignition and other
options and compare that to the alternator specs. You mght need to go up to
a larger alternator, or dimmer lights.

Peace,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2014 2:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] Since it's been quiet here, I'll add a second questions

Here is the problem, if I run the lights, they work fine at first, then they
seem to 'short out' the ignition after running a while.  Problem is, I can't
find the short.

Is this most likely just a shorted out wire, or is it possible that the
alternator could be causing a problem?  What are some troubleshooting steps
I can take?

Thanks

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo
Emerson _______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 21:45:52 +0000

> they seem to 'short out' the ignition after running a while.  Problem is, 

Some information about how the lights and ignition are wired would help.  Also, what happens when it "shorts out" ?  Does it start again as soon as you turn off the lights?  Is the battery dead afterwards?

Normally, a short in power wiring (like to the lights) results in wires visibly leaking smoke, so this isn't likely to be a garden-variety short.

But, it might well be that something is overloaded and going open when it gets hot.  Could there be a self-resetting circuit breaker in the circuit?  Do the lights and ignition get power through the same switch?

Likely the easiest route forward is to plow with the lights on in the daytime, and then immediately start troubleshooting when it dies.

Randall

[email-masked]