Subject: [Shop-talk] Strengthening plastic engine parts

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 11:18:04 -0500

I recently broke a plastic cruise control pulley on my 1996 Accord while
replacing the starter.  Apparently, these parts break frequently on old Hondas
because the plastic gets baked by the engine over the years and becomes quite
brittle.  Honda doesnt sell the pulley separately and requires you to buy an
entire throttle body assembly to get the pulley, so I bought a used one
online.  The pulley is in good condition, but I am sure it is just as brittle
as my old one was.  While it will probably be fine unless I get careless
again, I was thinking that it would be worth trying to strengthen/rejuvenate
it before I put it on the car.  It is small and would be easy to soak in
something or to just brush or spray something on.  Ive tried Googling the
topic but come up empty-handed.  Does anyone know anything I can to do give
this a little extra life before putting it on the car?  The car sees only
limited use, but it is very handy to have around.
Thanks.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive