Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] floor options for new slab

From: steve hochschild <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:30:13 -0600

Thanks for this helpful response.  I think I will end up with the paint,
as you suggest - a big factor is that it going to be the least expensive
approach.

I like your idea of keeping an open space for welding and cutting, and I
had not thought of protecting the floor with a welding blanket.

Can porcelain tiles be laid next to each other, with no grout line? I
had not considered a tile floor as I need to roll casters across it.

On 12/11/2014 2:29 PM, Mike Rambour wrote:
>  Unfortunately, I would go with paint.  I say unfortunately because it
> wont look as good as epoxy or staining or tiles but it will hold up
> and be very easy to repair.
>
>  Of the 2, epoxy or stain, stain is the most weld splatter resistant
> but hardest to repair when the time comes, the repair area will have a
> different color.
>
>  I have Racedeck tiles in my shop and I LOVE them, in my first shop I
> was MIG welding and burning up tiles like crazy (Racedeck will replace
> damaged tiles) they are not in any way weld proof (duh...they are
> plastic).  In my new shop I left a area of bare concrete where I do
> most of my welding and plasma cutting now, I also moved up to TIG so a
> lot less damage.   I put down a welding blanket on the rare occasion
> that I can't move my project to the bare concrete welding area and it
> works.  A bit of a pain but its a hobby not a living so I can take the
> time to put the blanket down.
>
>  I left a 6'x6' area bare concrete in a corner as my welding/metal
> working area, I find most of my stuff I can move there and weld. I did
> a exhaust system for my daughters car a few months ago that was MIG
> tack welded on the lift with Racedeck underneath and a blanket on the
> floor, then removed the exhaust and finished off the welding with TIG,
> the benefit was a much better looking weld on the bench then done
> under the car, it was a pain to work in that 6x6 area with the long
> exhaust but it worked.  90+% of my stuff is small enough to fit on the
> welding table so I like my setup.
>
>  The last option that you did not mention would be porcelain tiles,
> they will hold up to most weld splatter with some discoloration,
> properly put down wont crack when normal things are dropped on them,
> of course they will crack if you drop a head because you know the head
> will land on its corner (and knock off a chunk of the head, big oops)
> but even cracked they look good and they are cheaper than Racedeck
> assuming you are doing the labor. Kind of easily replaced also when
> you break one.  I plan on doing porcelain tiles in my welding area to
> match as best as I can the Racedeck pattern, been planning that for a
> decade now :)
>
>  Mike
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mike Rambour <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 08:07:07 -0800

I dont think they can be touching each other without grout, I think 
they would crack but I don't know for sure.

     mike

[email-masked]