Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Drop lights

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 09:10:58 -0800

On 12/27/2014 1:03 AM, gordon bird wrote:
> Ibll second the LEDs.  In the past, my garage door opener would vibrate
> and even the rough service incandescent bulb would only last a few
> months.  Itbs been nearly 2 years now that I have had the Cree LED
> installedb&

Prices on the LED stuff have come down a lot, and the choice is better. 
  I've started putting LEDs in some of the more heavily-used lights 
around our house.

Our house has something like 85 low-voltage MR16 fixtures, mostly 
enclosed insulation-contact cans, and aside from being painfully 
expensive most of the MR16 replacement LEDs on the market for the past 
few years (notably Philips) have carried warnings about use in enclosed 
fixtures.  Home Depot now has a house-brand 'Ecosmart' at $15 each that 
claims compatibility with enclosed IC fixtures, I swapped out the 
halogens in my office (where I really needed more light anyway) and 
they're working well (it's only been 2 months, though.)

The clear Philips bulbs with the crown-shaped refractor are working well 
in our outside fixtures, and the cheaper 40W Cree units in the entryway 
ceiling fixture.

John.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 13:18:03 -0800

Costco often had nice LED sales in conjunction with the local utilities,
just as they did with CFL's.  LED's are still expensive though.

I've been replacing the high use and "better when the lighting comes up
quicker" locations like over stairs.  It took a while for the "spot"
versions to come in and drop down in price, but now they are almost as
prevalent as the "flood" lamps. I have some spot high hat lamps over
critical kitchen areas and spots work much better, especially for these
aging eyes.

I've been using up the old incandescent lamps in my drop light for the past
few years.  I'd feel guilty about just throwing them away. . . . .

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John
Miller
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2014 9:11 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Drop lights

John.

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]