Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Drop lights

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 14:33:14 -0800

> I looked at LED bulbs as a result of this discussion.  Looks 
> like 100-watt
> equivalents are about twice the cost of 60-watt... Is that 
> right?  How come?

Well, for one thing, they have about twice the number of LEDs (which is the expensive bit), and about twice the power supply.  It's
not like an incandescent bulb, where you just make the wire a little thicker.

The heat sink design gets tougher too.  Have to dissipate almost twice as much heat; but the 60 watt versions already run at the
edge of too hot.

FWIW, they already make drop lights that use LEDs directly, instead of the screw-in replacements.  I like mine better, because the
LEDs are spread out enough that it doesn't hurt so much when the light rolls around or whatever and I have to look directly into it.

But for most situations, I much prefer my LED "head lights".  No cord, and it always points where I'm looking (at least a lot better
than a drop light does).
http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/headlight/Pages/6-led-headlight.aspx

-- Randall  
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive