Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] direct burial Cat 5

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 14:01:01 -0800

If I did it, I'd run it in PVC conduit.  1/2" conduit is cheap and may 
even offset the extra cost of direct burial cable.  I'd be concerned 
about a rock or rodent damaging the cable over time.  If you are doing 
any future digging, the conduit will also prevent a single push of the 
shovel from cutting the cable.

There are narrow trenching shovels that make trenches easier than a 
standard shovel.

Brian

On 11/16/2014 12:43 PM, Dave Cavanaugh wrote:
> I have been fighting with getting Wifi out to my shop building for 
> years.  It's about 100 feet from the main house, and it's a metal pole 
> barn so I have to have the Wifi receiver in a window.  I am about 
> ready to run a hard wire out to the building and was wondering if 
> anyone had any experience with direct burial CAT 5 or 6 wire.  I would 
> probably run it in a shallow trench and the total run including 
> snaking it around the house and out to the shop would probably be 
> about 150 feet at the most.  I would probably just jam in into a 
> shallow slot in the dirt cut with a shovel or spade.
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Trevor Boicey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 17:03:57 -0500

I ran plain old CAT5 outside for years. My plan was "throw it on the 
bare ground, replace when it stops working".

Has not stopped working yet.

It's not a safety hazard if it shorts out so not a lot to lose.

(Unless you need to be able to call 911 using VOIP when you are pinned 
under failed jackstands)

On 16/11/2014 5:01 PM, Brian Kemp wrote:
>> years.  It's about 100 feet from the main house, and it's a metal 
>> pole barn so I have to have the Wifi receiver in a window.  I am 
>> about ready to run a hard wire out to the building and was wondering 
>> if anyone had any experience with direct burial CAT 5 or 6 wire.  I 
>> would probably run it in a shallow trench and the total run including 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]