Subject: [Shop-talk] direct burial Cat 5

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 12:43:33 -0800

I have been fighting with getting Wifi out to my shop building for 
years.  It's about 100 feet from the main house, and it's a metal pole 
barn so I have to have the Wifi receiver in a window.  I am about ready 
to run a hard wire out to the building and was wondering if anyone had 
any experience with direct burial CAT 5 or 6 wire.  I would probably run 
it in a shallow trench and the total run including snaking it around the 
house and out to the shop would probably be about 150 feet at the most.  
I would probably just jam in into a shallow slot in the dirt cut with a 
shovel or spade.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 05:08:48 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 11/17/2014 05:08:53, Serialize complete at 11/17/2014 05:08:53

Dave asks about direct burial Cat 5

I had three separate runs of direct burial and the problem I kept having 
was lighting killing my equipment on one or both ends.

They make special lighting arresters for this purpose, but it was easier 
for me to use wireless to the remote buildings then spend the money on 
them.

I have plenty of direct bury cat 5 cable left, if you are in the NJ area.

YMMV

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]