Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] hard fuel line replacement

From: "Pat Horne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 16:23:22 -0500

Tim,

If the truck has fuel injection it would not be a good idea to patch it. If
carburetor, a rubber hose would be fine.

Peace,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tim .
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2014 3:53 PM
To: Shop Talk
Subject: [Shop-talk] hard fuel line replacement

Hi all

One of the fuel lines on my rusty crusty old S10 has rusted to the point
that it weeps/leaks when the engine is running. Since this truck has well
over 210K miles on it and it soon to be retired to part hauler status, I'd
like to not spend any money on this fix. Can I get away with just cutting
out a foot or so of hard line and replacing it with rubber fuel line? Or
will the rubber line not handle the pressure?

Thanks!
tim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 20:58:51 -0500

It's a 96.

So is fuel injection hose stronger than regular fuel line hose?

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 16:27:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] hard fuel line replacement
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

What year is your s10?

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Tim . <[email-masked]> wrote:
Hi all

that

it weeps/leaks when the engine is running. Since this truck has well over
210K

miles on it and it soon to be retired to part hauler status, I'd like to not

spend any money on this fix. Can I get away with just cutting out a foot or
so

of hard line and replacing it with rubber fuel line? Or will the rubber line

not handle the pressure?

Thanks!

tim

[email-masked]

---

From: John Innis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 21:31:23 -0500

Fuel Pressure on these is over 40 PSI.  I would NOT use rubber hose and
clamps for this.  It was ok on the older TBI motors that ran 15-20 PSI, but
dead head pressure on your pump is over 60, and even fuel injection hose
won't hold up to that just clamped on.  If you are going to cut out a
section, flare the ends and splice in a new section of hard line.

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Tim . <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
>
>

-- 
=================================
= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =
=================================
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 20:37:32 -0700

On 11/1/2014 7:31 PM, John Innis wrote:
> clamps for this.

There is hose and clamps intended specifically for high-pressure fuel 
injection applications, SAE 30R9 spec.  It's quite pricey compared to 
the old low-pressure stuff.

The hard line really needs to be barbed a bit at the end to do this 
properly, the beginning of a bubble-flare works nicely.

John.

[email-masked]