Subject: [Shop-talk] Performance Air Cleaners

From: Jim Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 19:13:23 -0500

I have been watching old episodes of Wheeler Dealers lately and the last two I
saw were about an MX-5/Miata and BMW 3 Series.  In both cases, one of the
first things Edd did was replace the stock air cleaner assembly with a
performance air filter.  According to Edd, it is all good: increased
horsepower, better sound, etc.  However, I have to believe that the
contraption he is replacing (filter box, filter, hoses, etc.) costs the
manufacturers more than than performance filters would.  If the KN options (I
think that is what Edd is using) are so good and increase horsepower, why
wouldnt the manufacturers - particularly BMW - put them in to begin with?

Just curious.  And thinking about my 2000 3-Series.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 1:42:13 +0000

---- Jim Stone <[email-masked]> wrote:
> If the KN options (I

Because manufacturers warranty the engine.  There's also the emissions aspect
of rings that wear out, and so on, plus most people don't like hearing intake
noise.  The K&N filters do flow more easily, as they claim, but they also stop
less dirt than the stock filters.

And from the real world tests I've seen, the power increase isn't all that
much either.  One percent is useful on the track, certainly, but hardly
noticeable on the street.
Randall
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]