Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] direct burial Cat 5

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 07:35:08 -0500

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Mark Miller <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> This sounds like a great fit for powerline Ethernet.  Much easier (and
> probably not very different in price once you deal with the wire, various
> jacks and connections, etc.) and less dirt under your fingernails.

This can be a good solution, but if your shop is like mine, fed from a
different transformer, this probably won't work.

As for the OP, perhaps a better antenna connected to the WiFi receiver
would help?  Or an extension cord for the existing antenna, so it can be
put outside the window?

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 07:00:08 -0600

"Powerline Ethernet" The write up says "Consumes only 0.5 watts of power in
stand-by mode." Wonder how high this goes under high usage.  But I really
wonder is how this would do in an old house that still have knob and tube in
some spots..... tim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 21:22:04 -0600

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 7:00 AM, Tim . <[email-masked]> wrote:
> stand-by mode." Wonder how high this goes under high usage.

The one I watched with a meter used about 2 watts averaged out over a
few days.  I didn't watch for power use under load, though.

 But I really
> wonder is how this would do in an old house that still have knob and tube in

There's no reason they wouldn't work.  They work by putting a number
of high frequency carriers on the cable, which should be passed fine
by any safe electrical wiring.  They won't make it across a
transformer.

Assuming the OPs shop and house share a meter, it would be on my list
ahead of digging a trench.  So would a point-to-point wireless setup.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]