Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] dryer squeak

From: Paul Parkanzky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 16:41:51 -0400

Tim,

We went through this on the Frigidaire dryer in the home we just sold.
What you need to do is open the top of the dryer and take the front panel
off.  There are two latches to get the top to hinge up in the front of that
seam.  I pushed on them with a putty knife.  The front panel comes off if
you disconnect the door switch and remove a couple screws.  Now, unhook the
belt (from the back access door) and lift up sharply on the rear of the
drum.  There is a ball on the back of the drum that rides in a groove.
You're popping that out of the top.  Then you can pull the drum forward and
through the opening at the front to remove it.  I applied some high-temp
grease to the saddle that ball rides in (or to the ball, I don't remember
which) and the squeaking went away.  That dryer was made in 1995 and had
never given us any problems, so I was willing to throw a couple thermostats
and some grease at it to try to get her to the 20 year mark.

You can find Youtube videos if you google something like, "Frigidaire Dryer
Drum Removal."  You'll see that it's actually pretty easy.  I learned to
disassemble the dryer and get the drum out in about three minutes after a
couple of times through.

Good Luck,

-Paul

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Tim . <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a Frigidaire electric dryer that is nine years old. And it squeaks
> like
> bastard now. I opened it up and do not see any wear marks anywhere that
> would
> show a rub. I replaced the belt and it didn't solve it. Thankfully belts
> are
> cheap.
>
> I am far from an appliance repair man and have no clue what else to check.
> I
> can't see how to access the spot where the drum is mounted to the back
> panel
> but what are the chances that this is the spot that is squeaking? Or can
> the
> motor squeak?
>
> Thanks
> tim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 15:48:34 -0500

Thanks Paul!

That does sound easy and once again I forgot about facetube for how to videos.
But this one sounds like I won't have to watch it done I'll just do it.

Thanks again!!!!!

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 16:41:51 -0400
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] dryer squeak
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

Tim,
We went through this on the Frigidaire dryer in the home we just sold.  What
you need to do is open the top of the dryer and take the front panel off.
There are two latches to get the top to hinge up in the front of that seam.  I
pushed on them with a putty knife.  The front panel comes off if you
disconnect the door switch and remove a couple screws.  Now, unhook the belt
(from the back access door) and lift up sharply on the rear of the drum.
There is a ball on the back of the drum that rides in a groove.  You're
popping that out of the top.  Then you can pull the drum forward and through
the opening at the front to remove it.  I applied some high-temp grease to the
saddle that ball rides in (or to the ball, I don't remember which) and the
squeaking went away.  That dryer was made in 1995 and had never given us any
problems, so I was willing to throw a couple thermostats and some grease at it
to try to get her to the 20 year mark.

show a rub. I replaced the belt and it didn't solve it. Thankfully belts are

cheap.

I am far from an appliance repair man and have no clue what else to check. I

can't see how to access the spot where the drum is mounted to the back panel

but what are the chances that this is the spot that is squeaking? Or can the

motor squeak?

Thanks

tim

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 18:48:41 -0400

Is there an idler wheel for the belt?  That could also be squeaking.

Doug

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 22:25:32 -0600

This will be of no help to you whatsoever, but that's not going to stop me.

Some time ago I was helping a friend of mine get caught up with his HVAC business
as a general grunt. The new construction jobs were nice, the remodeling jobs were
pretty dirty.

Anyway, I threw some of my work clothes into the washer, then the dryer. Started
the dryer and about a minute later there was a TERRIBLE screeching sound. Turns out
that a long, self tapping sheet metal screw didn't go into the pouch on the tool belt
but into a pocket of my jeans. Made it through the washer, but fell out in the dryer
and got stuck on the edge of the drum. Luckily it didn't take too much disassembly
of the trusty old Maytag to fix.

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 07:51:31 -0600

I had something similar happen to my washer: A piece of metal got into the
pump housing and cracked it causing a nice water spill that eventually ended
up in the basement. The piece of wire turned out to be an underwire from one
of the bosses' bras.......

And of course, this was in the shiny new front loader that is much more
complicated to work on that the simple old electric dryer so I had to pay
someone to fix the washer. sigh

Thanks for the input on the squeak everyone!
tim

> Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 22:25:32 -0600
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 10:10:36 -0500

> but what are the chances that this is the spot that is squeaking? Or can

Sounds like you're already on your way, but when my old Maytag took up
squeaking, it was a cylindrical plastic bushing that carried the axle of
the drum in the rear support.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bob Kegel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 08:40:41 -0800 s=q20140121; t=1414946442; bh=Chdqvj1drk5HW36JwEZD0pQbioiOgYPVbHv/lUIRC3o=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=ekZwP6yk0EneAz5tgi33Eytah86WMyBe7ghZ/vH4gbAN+j4isqbZ+PKR0Q+JlIgan cXld6/uyI/jqSp/VNd3BHbjIBy2Qt6lkb213vGmkRLRaVwR778lUabnD+lzGu2zS+0 xoXRjAEyeILsikw6dEu8qiPcJSreG8iNeuILC2Re44gdQugWhOgojACUBFYCulGvXY /LWBG/21DxHMZmkcQeiOojIVqhASu6boN0RQfE/VBXNf58XefFjW/e08jWGNGuImnE mZy6tTZCzKLhPxh//UAIg/E7SqgYRNBMGUZBrq4NDHa/U0OW3KV9Nf6WtltW78sztN d937pa+G4puKA==

> a long, self tapping sheet metal screw

For years we endured a clickety-clack in our dryer that turned out to be a 
quarter inside one of the fins in the drum. Fortunately, the fins were 
attached with screws and the fix was simple, once I tracked it down.

Bob K 

[email-masked]