Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] led security lighting vrs incandescent`

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 10:05:26 -0500

On 11/5/2014 6:39 PM, Randall wrote:
>> so I'm thinking of replacing and considering LED....  I know the cost
>> difference but I like the low wattage and long life expect...     my question
>> is the light output   how do they compare watt for watt as far as flood light
>> illumination !!!   are they as bright ??   fill me in led gurus
> Actual "watt for watt" they are much brighter, the difference is roughly 7:1.  However, watch out for "equivalent watts" as they frequently don't tell the right story.  Compare lumens, not watts.

The ratio for halogens will be a little lower.  Halogens are more 
efficient than non halogen incandescent.  Probably closer to 5:1 but 
still a significant savings. Randall is correct, lumens are a better 
comparison but if you don't know the lumens a good guess is 100W LED 
fixture.

Daylight bulbs are little more efficient than soft white.  LED bulbs are 
actual florescent because they use phosphors to improve the quality of 
the light.  A white LED without phosphors produce a bluish light, 
guessing 7000K, so phosphors provide a color shift by absorbing the 
7000K light and remitting 5000K.  The higher the kelvin light color of 
the bulb the higher the efficiency.  Though I stick to a kelvin around 
5000K.  Higher than that you are might be wasting energy producing 
colors that you can't see well; meaning though a 5000K and a 6000K might 
put out the same lumens the 5000K will seem brighter because your eyes 
can see all the lumens.

Peter T.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 13:48:07 -0500

I'll echo what has been said about avoiding Feit Electric. We redid our
kitchen a little more than 3 years ago and have about 7 of the Cree
in-ceiling lights, and they're great. We also have 8 PAR38 cans in the
basement, and I replaced all of those incandescent bulbs with Cree LED
bulbs about a year ago, and all of those are still just fine.

We have some CF lights in some places where I just turn the light on and
leave it on for hours. I have seen plenty of evidence that short-cycles
with fluorescent bulbs leads to short bulb lifespans. I won't buy any more
CF bulbs. LED is just as cost-effective, and doesn't have that pesky
mercury (and is not as fragile).

For security lighting that isn't on for long periods, incandescent is still
a very cost-effective solution. I bought a security light with built-in
LEDs, and haven't installed it yet. I'll report back what I find. It isn't
high-powered for distant wide-angle coverage, it is designed for over an
outside doorway or similar.

Regarding light color, I have found that the 5000K and up bulbs are far too
cold/sterile/harsh for my liking. I have found that (to my eye)
temperatures between 3000K and 3500K (typical mid-point color temperature
choice) yield the most "natural" lighting, and are often mistaken for
conventional/halogen incandescent.

-Peter

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Peter J. Thomas <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>> Actual "watt for watt" they are much brighter, the difference is roughly
>> 7:1.  However, watch out for "equivalent watts" as they frequently don't
>> tell the right story.  Compare lumens, not watts.
>>
>
> efficient than non halogen incandescent.  Probably closer to 5:1 but still
> a significant savings. Randall is correct, lumens are a better comparison
> but if you don't know the lumens a good guess is 100W LED fixture.
>
> actual florescent because they use phosphors to improve the quality of the
> light.  A white LED without phosphors produce a bluish light, guessing
> 7000K, so phosphors provide a color shift by absorbing the 7000K light and
> remitting 5000K.  The higher the kelvin light color of the bulb the higher
> the efficiency.  Though I stick to a kelvin around 5000K.  Higher than that
> you are might be wasting energy producing colors that you can't see well;
> meaning though a 5000K and a 6000K might put out the same lumens the 5000K
> will seem brighter because your eyes can see all the lumens.
>
> Peter T.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/
> [email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 09:17:20 -0800

Just what you need:

http://www.gocomics.com/speedbump/2014/11/07
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]