Subject: [Shop-talk] led security lighting vrs incandescent`

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 17:01:07 -0600

I've just changed out 5 of 8 bulbs in my corner lights on the house and
shop... they are typical 500 watt
halogen stick light fixtures... they have a pretty long life as they are not
dusk to dawn and we only use then for company arrivals and work in front of
the shop...

the problem is that the fixtures are metal and the lense covers are plastic
that is old (20 years) and brittle and I now have 3 of the eight with cracked
or missing lense covers... I've had to Rube Goldberg some lense cover
retainers...

so I'm thinking of replacing and considering LED....  I know the cost
difference but I like the low wattage and long life expect...     my question
is the light output   how do they compare watt for watt as far as flood light
illumination !!!   are they as bright ??   fill me in led gurus

thanks
john

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 23:39:33 +0000

> illumination !!!   are they as bright ??   fill me in led gurus

Actual "watt for watt" they are much brighter, the difference is roughly 7:1.  However, watch out for "equivalent watts" as they frequently don't tell the right story.  Compare lumens, not watts.

Also make sure the bulbs have plenty of cooling.  Even though they draw less power, they are much more sensitive to heat and good cooling is essential for long life.  I've been reading that even a typical recessed ceiling fixture may not allow enough ventilation.

FWIW, I'm continuing with incandescent for now, even though I've got to replace one of the fixtures.

Randall

[email-masked]