Subject: [Shop-talk] Seasonal water hammer?

From: Larry Spector <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 12:50:45 -0500

I've got an odd problem, and it's been going on for a couple of years now.
Every fall, when the cold water supply (county water) starts getting even
colder, I get water hammer. I can usually get it to go away by turning off
the tap and turning it back on slowly, but it's a pain to deal with.

Any idea what may be causing it and what can be done to alleviate it?

Thanks,
Larry
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 23:14:03 +0000

> the tap and turning it back on slowly, but it's a pain to deal with.

This caught my eye ... "water hammer" is what happens when you turn the water _off_ suddenly.  Your mention of turning it _on_ slowly suggests that you are talking about something else; like perhaps the stem vibration that was already mentioned.

FWIW, there are water hammer arrestors that use a diaphragm or piston to isolate the air cushion; hence they shouldn't require draining, at least not every year.  My experience has been that just mounting the pipes properly eliminates audible water hammer, but YMMV.

Randall

[email-masked]