Subject: [Shop-talk] Need advice from mechanical engineering minded guys (so I came the best place!)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 08:14:52 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 09/03/2014 08:14:54, Serialize complete at 09/03/2014 08:14:54

OK, this isn't typical shop content, but it is about heavy duty tools, so 
it fits.
I'm looking for a log skidder for my ATV.  I made my own, and it works*, 
but not nearly as nice as it needs to.
Most of the better units have overhead lifts.  When I looked at the price 
for the steel, components, wheels axles, my time, etc- it's cheaper to buy 
one already made.
There are two different types of 'lifts' for these.  One is a passive 
"Slide" type of lift.  The other is a manual crank type.

Here are the two models I have narrowed it down to...

>http://www.hud-son.com/products/product-detail/atv-log-arch-bolt-together-skidder-arch<

and 

>http://www.countryatv.com/atv-log-skidder.html<
Here is a video on how the second one works...
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvAtTP9-yUo&feature=player_embedded#t=2s<

So, here is my question...
I really like the idea of the 'slide' type (the second one), but can you 
see if there is any real design flaw to this?  I can't find any reviews on 
this model.

The other unit is from a company that I've dealt with and they make top 
quality stuff.

Price isn't that important as I can most likely get a discount on the 
first one to bring the prices about the same.

So, which one do you think WORKS better?

*=For those interested, here is my homemade one.  (It's designed to be 
unbolted to come apart easy and store in very little space.  Not a concern 
with the new one.)
Please ignore the poor welds and such, it was built in a hurry as I needed 
something right away.

http://tinyurl.com/atvlogskidder 

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive