Subject: [Shop-talk] Rivets backer

From: Robert nogueira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 22:51:08 -0500

I need to install some 1/4 inch rivets in my current project. These are the
old fashion solid metal rivets with a domed head. I have had no problem
mushrooming the stem with a hammer. My problem is that the round head tends to
also flatten on the crown.  What I need is a backer that the round head can
sit in when hammering the stem.  I'm sure there is a tool for this but I have
no idea what it is called much less where to buy one.
Can anyone help me with a name and source for such a tool?
Thanks for any help.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 09:28:53 -0700

> What I need is a backer that the 
> round head can

Here is one option:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/buckingblocks.php

Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: Robert nogueira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 19:40:15 -0500

Thanks guys,the,rivet set is just what Ii need.  Found several local suppliers
on line.

Bob Nogueira

[email-masked]