Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Does any re-manufacturer buy cores?

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 22:51:07 -0500

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Peter J. Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Just replaced a part with a new part instead of a re manufactured part.  Now
> have a core but no need to have it re manufactured.  Does any company buy
> cores?
>

Call your local junk yards.  And ask the shop you bought the new parts
from.  Unless you're talking about an engine or transmission or other
expensive thing, don't expect much.

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 10:04:31 -0400

> expensive thing, don't expect much.

It's a fly by wire throttle body.  New OEM it's is about $600, refurbs 
vary but are around $400 with core charge is about $30-50 bucks.  It 
also appears to be an indemand part with low supplies.  I ordered a new 
one online (horror story) and they don't do cores unless you buy a 
part.  I'd expect a auto parts store or junk yard to at most pay half.  
I thought selling it directly to a refurb might make it worth the effort.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 23:33:25 -0500

*Long, long ago, a college pal was a junk scrounger and made serious money
buying flathead Ford V8*
*engines and a long list of parts for a rebuilder in Ft Worth.  On the list
was some odd **Chrysler connecting rod; the rebuilded was offering $10 or
$12 for each!  Ron majored in this item and amassed a big pile of them, I
donno, maybe 50 or 60.  Most of them, he'd had to tear down the motor to
"harvest" .  When he presented them to the rebuilder dreaming of his
hundreds, they said: "Hell, we only want 3 or 4 of them!"*

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Peter J. Thomas <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> vary but are around $400 with core charge is about $30-50 bucks.  It also
> appears to be an indemand part with low supplies.  I ordered a new one
> online (horror story) and they don't do cores unless you buy a part.  I'd
> expect a auto parts store or junk yard to at most pay half.  I thought
> selling it directly to a refurb might make it worth the effort.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]