Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Need advice from mechanical engineering minded guys (so I came the best place!)

From: nick brearley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 14:14:57 +0100

Eric,

I would opt for the slide. Nice piece of design. It's possible that the 
slide could bend or the stop at the end deform, both fixable for someone 
of your abilities. But then you're pulling it with an ATV not a D8.

It also has the advantage of being cheaper.

Nick Brearley

On 03/09/2014 13:14, [email-masked] wrote:
> OK, this isn't typical shop content, but it is about heavy duty tools, so
> it fits.
> I'm looking for a log skidder for my ATV.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Pat Horne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 09:59:08 -0500

Eric, My view is that the fewer moving parts, the better. 

Why not consider adding an arch to your skidder so that you can tip the
skidder up on its back end, cinch the log to the arch and then pull the
hitch back down. This will keep you from having to lift the log up so you
can get your skidder under it, then let the log lay on your skidder. But if
you would rather buy something, I'd go with the slide unit. Depending on how
heavy your logs are, and how strong the slide bar is, it may need replacing,
but that should be easy.

Peace,
Pat

-----Original Message-----

So, here is my question...
I really like the idea of the 'slide' type (the second one), but can you see
if there is any real design flaw to this?  I can't find any reviews on this
model.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Philip Ethier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 12:00:59 -0500

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 7:14 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'm looking for a log skidder for my ATV.  I made my own, and it works*,
> but not nearly as nice as it needs to.
> Most of the better units have overhead lifts.  When I looked at the price
> for the steel, components, wheels axles, my time, etc- it's cheaper to buy
> one already made.
> There are two different types of 'lifts' for these.  One is a passive
> "Slide" type of lift.  The other is a manual crank type.
>

The SLIDER, hands down.

Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 13:06:41 -0400

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 8:14 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I really like the idea of the 'slide' type (the second one), but can you
> see if there is any real design flaw to this?  I can't find any reviews on
> this model.
>

I like the slider.  The maximum force in any one spot on the rod would be
when it's first pulled, or when it's fully supported at the top...at that
point, the force on the rod is very near the welded end.  Once it overcomes
the static friction, it moves along the rod and isn't concentrated in any
one spot for long.

Plus, it's simple.  Simple is better.  Let the log do the work, not you.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]