Subject: [Shop-talk] Garage door opener problem

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 18:31:01 -0700

I have a pair of Chamberlain PD200 openers in the garage.  They are 
about 15 years old and until just recently have been flawless. Lately 
the one on my wife's side (naturally) has gotten flaky.  As soon as you 
push the button to close it, it reverses and the light flashes.  Opening 
is normal.  If you hold the wall mounted (hardwired) button down it will 
close and stay down, but it will no longer close with the clicker.  When 
the problem first started the door would partially close before 
reversing, but now it doesn't even move.

I adjusted the photocells, lubricated everything, and adjusted the 
sensitivity pots and turned the open and close distance pots through a 
few turns.  For a few cycles it worked ok and then reverted to it's bad 
behavior.  I called the local residential/commercial GDO business, who 
also installed the opener in my shop a few years ago. I wasn't here, but 
according to my wife he lubricated everything with "something heavier 
than WD40", "adjusted" it and left.  It worked for a week.  I looked 
yesterday and he had turned the sensitivity pots all the way up to 11.  
So, $100 down the toilet.

The one on my side works flawlessly....so far.

This is a standard, chain drive, 1/2 HP rolling code unit, nothing fancy.

I can buy a new one at Home Depot or Amazon for $125 or so.  Before I 
do, anything else to check?

thanks
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:43:49 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 09/15/2014 10:43:51, Serialize complete at 09/15/2014 10:43:51

Put me down as a "+1" for the sensor.

These things can fail in lots of ways.

I would remove them from the doors, then, using a short test leads, 
reconnection them to the opener with them 6" apart.  Then try the opener.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]