Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] A mini drill press that doesn't suck?

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 17:15:20 -0400

I was browsing, and here are a couple of reviews on a Rockwell 10" benchtop
drill press:

*The RK7032 is a superior machine. The low price should not dissuade you
from considering getting one for yourself. You will discover that the unit
runs smoothly, quietly without noticeable vibration. *

vs.:

*I looked at several options for bench drill presses and landed on the
Rockwell. I wish I was able to inspect this drill press before purchasing
as I would not have made the purchase. The drill press at first glance
appears well made, but then I started to drill. The deal breaker for me was
the lack of precision in the drill arm. As you begin to lower the drill,
the arm has far to much "slop" making the drill bit wander off your
intended target. I plan on returning this unit. I could of just gone to
Harbor Freight for a cheap drill press that is made in China. *

This is why I would not buy a unit that I could not test in the store.

Doug

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Randall <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I'd love to get a mini-mill to use instead, but those need at least 36"
> of
> > bench width, which I simply don't have.
>
> How about a Sherline mill head (which I believe they will sell separately)
> attached to the column of your existing press?
>
> Otherwise, I would ignore country of origin and instead look for a
> reputable maker.  Not everything made in China is junk.
>
> Delta has apparently quit making their benchtop press, but I still see
> models from Jet and Rockwell.  They should be pretty good, even if they are
> from China.
>
> Another thought would be looking into your existing press and see if it
> can be improved.  Maybe you can add shims to the fit between the quill and
> the housing; or even cut some tapered slots and add gibs.
>
> Randall
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 22:10:25 -0400

On 9/11/2014 1:49 PM, Doug Braun wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a cheapo benchtop mini drill press that cost maybe $69.95.
> It is sized right for my workbench, but it has an AC motor that stalls
> easily, and
> the quill is very sloppy, so the drill bit can jiggle side-to-side about
> 1/16".
>
> Does anybody know if there is a source for a better model?  ALL the ones I
> have ever seen in
> stores, etc. are made in China, and their precision seems to be pretty
> random- the display model could have a quill with no slop, but then the one
> I bring home could be much worse.
I've had luck with Grizzly.  Made in China but final milling are done in 
the US.  Or at least some equipment is.  Not as good as Delta or Jet but 
much better than Craftsman.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 21:57:40 -0500

Or used?  I have a very old Duro bench-top drill press that was my only
press till I got a larger (and even older) Atlas floor model.  It probably
cost under $35 in the late 40's, but it's solid cast iron and quite stable.
And old.  The motor is on rails and thus easy to change to add as much power
as desired.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Doug
Braun

Subject: [Bulk] [Shop-talk] A mini drill press that doesn't suck?

Hello,

Does anybody know if there is a source for a better model?  ALL the ones I
have ever seen in stores, etc. are made in China, and their precision seems
to be pretty
random- the display model could have a quill with no slop, but then the one
I bring home could be much worse.

Doug

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 20:29:05 -0700

If it's not too big you might consider the Grizzly G7943.  If you ignore 
the stupid chuck guard and the plastic face plate on the front of the 
head casting, it's identical to thousands and thousands of drill presses 
imported in the last 30 years or so.  I got a "Foremost" brand  at Tool 
Town nearly 30 years ago and it's served me well in my woodworking and 
some metalworking very well.  About three years ago I finally broke down 
and replaced the really horrible bearings in the quill, a job that took 
about two hours, and it really tightened up (and quieted down) the 
machine.  It's a basic, robust design and even if you find a no-name 
model used, Grizzly parts will probably fit.

Or like someone else mentioned, Old Arn is hard to beat, too.

[email-masked]