Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mobile hotspot signal strength

From: "Pat Horne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 18:34:31 -0500

John,

I'm afraid that an omni antenna will not get you what you need. What range
from the hot spot to the users?

Have you tried one of these hot spots at the local Verizon store for
comparison?

Comparing the radiation field of different omni directional antennae shows
that as the db rating goes up, all that changes is that the signal is
flattened out vertically which concentrates the signal in a flatter area,
giving you a somewhat longer range. Generally this doesn't help all that
much unless you are starting with a marginal signal that just needs a little
push.
Also, since this is a battery powered device, the radio in it is probably
not as strong as something that plugs in and intended to be used within feet
of the radio. You can't use this device to connect to another wireless
router and supply a stronger signal to multiple users, but it will work for
a single user though. The only way to get this kind of functionality for
multiple users is to find hot spot that you can plug an Ethernet cable into.
You can then connect that cable to a wireless router and it will work.

As for the 34%, that is a signal quality. Most wifi radio links try to run
at 75% or higher for fast and solid connections.

The -114dbi vs. -125dbi question is not easily answered. This number is
something that a technician or engineer would be interested in, but not you,
so just ignore it.

Overall, I'd try for the highest RSSI and percentage number, but I don't
expect there to be much that can be done for this box.

Peace,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of john
niolon
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2014 3:07 PM
To: shop-talk
Subject: [Shop-talk] mobile hotspot signal strength

Internet gurus ???

Ibm trying to set up a verizon 4620i jetpack for remote internet access...
signal seems poor   2 bars and very slow access...

Ibm also trying an omnidirectional antenna to boost the signal... supposed
to be a 9 db gain antenna

http://www.antennagear.net/catalog/9LTE-VW-OEM-SMK-Set(3).png

when I connect antenna I see no increase in bars and looking at the display
on the jetpack I see no change
in the RSSI    it is at 32%  and b114 dBi

surely an outside antenna should increase my signal

can someone explaoin the 32%   % of what  ??

and is b114 dBi good or bad... would b125dBi  be better or worse... I
donbt understand the nomenclature I guess

thanks
john

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "john niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 06:44:19 -0500

Well Brad... you were spot on.   Put the antenna up about 15b (5b above
the trailer) even fabricated a ground plane under it... and it absolutely no
difference in signal strength or dBm readout...   thatbs a hundred bucks in
the wind...

suggestions ???

thanks
john
om: Brad Kahler
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2014 3:20 PM
To: john niolon
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mobile hotspot signal strength

John,

I think you're using the same jetpack I am.  I also have an external antenna
and if I remember right at most I would see one bar increase and possibly no
bar increase.  Been a while since I looked at it.

When I get home I'll check what the status is on mine and let you know.

Also, my Verizon 4g isn't super fast but it is faster than satellite by a fair
margin.  At least near Richmond Kentucky which is where I'm at.

Brad

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 4:06 PM, john niolon <[email-masked]> wrote:

  Internet gurus ???

  Ib m trying to set up a verizon 4620i jetpack for remote internet access...
  signal seems poor   2 bars and very slow access...

  Ib m also trying an omnidirectional antenna to boost the signal... supposed
  to be a 9 db gain antenna

  when I connect antenna I see no increase in bars and looking at the display
on
  the jetpack I see no change
  in the RSSI    it is at 32%  and b 114 dBi

  and is b 114 dBi good or bad... would b 125dBi  be better or worse... I
  donb t understand the nomenclature I guess

  thanks
  john

  ---

  [email-masked]
  Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
  Suggested annual donation  $12.96
  Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
  Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
  Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

---

[email-masked]

---

From: Jack Brooks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 09:43:33 -0700

Helping a friend;

Hey guys, I read some of this thread, but it didn't really apply to my so I
read and deleted.  Last night a close friend was complaining that he
switched to ATT and now his reception at home is not nearly as nice as it
was with Verizon.  Did anyone retain a summary email about what worked well
for ATT for boosting the local signal?  He doesn't need much, but it will
need to cover the area of his home.

Thanks in advance if any one can help!

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of john
niolon
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2014 4:44 AM
To: Brad Kahler; shop-talk
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] mobile hotspot signal strength

suggestions ???

thanks
john
om: Brad Kahler

John,

Also, my Verizon 4g isn't super fast but it is faster than satellite by a
fair
margin.  At least near Richmond Kentucky which is where I'm at.

Brad

  Internet gurus ???

  Ib m trying to set up a verizon 4620i jetpack for remote internet
access...
  signal seems poor   2 bars and very slow access...

  Ib m also trying an omnidirectional antenna to boost the signal...
supposed
  to be a 9 db gain antenna

  when I connect antenna I see no increase in bars and looking at the
display
on
  the jetpack I see no change
  in the RSSI    it is at 32%  and b 114 dBi

  thanks
  john

  ---

  [email-masked]

---

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]