Subject: [Shop-talk] Warning: Frost Proof Outdoor Faucet Failure

From: Benjamin Zwissler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 20:13:09 -0400

Hello All,

It's been quiet so I thought I'd share a frustrating story.  This
spring I replaced an original 30 year old outdoor faucet that didn't
survive this winter's extra cold weather.  I went to Lowe's and bought
what they had the most of.  This evening I went to shut it off after
watering and the knob turned with no resistance.  Pulled the thing
apart and found a long, thin, hollow copper pushtube that pressed the
washer against the seat.  The push tube had longitudinal cracks on
both ends that allowed the tube to ride over the flange that was
supposed to put pressure on it when you twisted the knob.

I'll return to Lowe's to try and find something better designed, but
I'd guess every one of these is failing.  I found at least one other
complaint online.  They could not possibly have done any long term
testing of this faucet and any engineer looking at it could see it was
doomed to failure.  Its Made in China and has SLDRO on the red handle.
Not all Made In China stuff is junk, but this part confirms the
stereotype.

Luckily I made it easier to replace when I replaced it this spring so
it should just be a matter of unscrewing it and putting the new one
on.

I'll be more discriminating when I pick out the new one.....

Ben.....
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive