Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] air hose quick disconnects that don't leak

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 12:13:06 -0700

> I have the standard brass & 'other material' type ones from Lowes/HD/HF
> like these:
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/4-Piece-Solid-Brass-Industrial-uick-Coupler-Set-68241.html
>
> Problem is that fairly quickly they start to leak when connected and I'm
> getting sick of it.  Are there versions of these things that are more
> robust?

I use the 3/8in Tru-Flate type (probably overkill for most purposes) - 
they also have a letter code, F maybe?  and I've got two or three 
different varieties of the push-connect fittings:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-quick-disconnect-hose-couplings/=tw6rlp

I've been trying to get whip hoses on all my tools, buying NPT-to-NPT 
whip hoses twice as long as I really want and cutting them in half, 
sticking one of the hose-barb fittings in the cut hose, putting a couple 
Oetiker ear clamps on it, and covering the clamps with heatshrink, then 
the threaded ends of the resulting whip hoses screw into the tools. 
Cheaper, fewer threaded connections, easily field-repaired if necessary.

I made a mistake when I initially plumbed my air system, I pointed all 
the quick-couplers on the air plumbing down.  Eventually they'd all 
accumulate just enough water and crud to corrode and leak when they were 
NOT in use, which was an ongoing problem for a while.

I've gradually redone most of them so they no longer point down, and the 
couple that still do are semi-permanently coupled to a hose reel or 
something so they're not a problem.

John.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Philip Ethier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:14:17 -0500

Dunno.  I buy cheap stuff at Menards and it works fine.

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 2:00 PM, Mark Andy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Recommendations for air hose quick disconnect fittings that don't leak?

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 16:29:45 -0600

I've used Milton M style for years, been quite happy with them.

Back in my brewing days we started using some quick connect hose fittings for the
cooling coil, bottle washer and such. Unlike air line fittings, they can not be
disconnected while under pressure. Silly me.

mjb.

[email-masked]