Subject: [Shop-talk] Follow up on skidding trailer AND a new question about the Harbor Freight 16 ton Pipe bender

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 16:03:15 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 09/07/2014 16:03:18, Serialize complete at 09/07/2014 16:03:18

Yes. these are related questions...

First, I want to thank Miq once again for the great suggestion on moding 
up my skidder.  It's coming out better than I expected.
While I'm still building this, I have a very important question about 
material strength.
The last thing I need to build on my skidder is the bar that the chain 
rides on.  Here is a link to the video in case you want to see it again...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvAtTP9-yUo

I need to know what size pipe do I need to use for this skidder bar.  The 
two choices of pipe stock I have (I'll send another email about the steal 
supply around here)  are...
2.25 ID steel pipe (16th wall thickness)  or a 1 5/8th ID steel pipe (8th 
wall thickness.)
Here is the problem, if I go with the 2.25 pipe, I can't find any ring to 
go around it.  With the 1 5/8th pipe, I could find the ring easily.
The bar will span about 64".  I don't know exactly what the weight one 
side of the log will be (the pipe will only be point loaded for a brief 
time.)

The second question is for anyone that bought one of Harbor Freight's pipe 
bender.  My question is, do you have an neat ways to store it with all the 
dies?

Thanks so much.  I can't wait to finish this skidder, I'll post photos 
once I get it done.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 14:19:22 GMT

Piggybacking off Peter, if you used a piece of square tubing welded 90 degrees
to the slider, you could cut slots in it and size your chain so that you could
simply pull links into the slots for easy hook up an unload...

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Follow up on skidding trailer AND a new question
about the Harbor Freight 16 ton Pipe bender
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 09:21:07 -0400

On 9/8/2014 8:26 AM, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 4:03 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I need to know what size pipe do I need to use for this skidder bar.
>>
> It looks to me like the bar is something like 3/4" solid rod.  Not hollow
> at all.  If the frame of the skidder is 2" square tubing, then the rod is
> much less than that.
Second the square/box tubing, much stronger since the force should be
mostly downward.  For the slider you could also use a section of the
slightly larger square tubing with a hook/eye welded to it.  I don't
think the final bend at the end is needed; that's only if you want the
log to remain hanging when not in motion.

Peter T.
> Jeff Scarbrough
> Corrosion Acres, Ga.
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
____________________________________________________________
The #1 Worst Carb Ever?
Click to Learn #1 Carb that Kills Your Blood Sugar &#40;Don&#39;t Eat
This!&#41;
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/540dbb44d193c3b440d89st03vuc
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]