Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Follow up on skidding trailer AND a new question about the Harbor Freight 16 ton Pipe bender

From: David Hillman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 17:32:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 7 Sep 2014, [email-masked] wrote:
> The second question is for anyone that bought one of Harbor Freight's pipe
> bender.  My question is, do you have an neat ways to store it with all the
> dies?

    I bought one of these a few years ago.  Very useful for makjng terrible 
quality, kinked, bends.  If you want anything decent to result, you're 
going to have to fill the tube with sand and weld caps on the ends.  At 
which point, you may as well suck it up and buy a real bender.

    I liked this tool so much I don't know where mine is.  I think I loaned 
it out with the stipulation they never bring it back.

    It's a pipe kinker, not a bender.

--
  David Hillman
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 07:09:51 -0500

If you go with the thinner wall, I'd suggest substituting a short length of
heavy, next-size-up tubing for the slider, rather than just a ring.  A ring
will present almost a point load to the tube and over time tend to dent it
in places, hampering the sliding action and eventually causing a bend and
failure.

Karl

-----Original Message-----
[email-masked]

Yes. these are related questions...

First, I want to thank Miq once again for the great suggestion on moding up
my skidder.  It's coming out better than I expected.
While I'm still building this, I have a very important question about
material strength.
The last thing I need to build on my skidder is the bar that the chain rides
on.  Here is a link to the video in case you want to see it again...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvAtTP9-yUo

I need to know what size pipe do I need to use for this skidder bar.  The
two choices of pipe stock I have (I'll send another email about the steal
supply around here)  are...
2.25 ID steel pipe (16th wall thickness)  or a 1 5/8th ID steel pipe (8th
wall thickness.) Here is the problem, if I go with the 2.25 pipe, I can't
find any ring to go around it.  With the 1 5/8th pipe, I could find the ring
easily.
The bar will span about 64".  I don't know exactly what the weight one side
of the log will be (the pipe will only be point loaded for a brief
time.)

Thanks so much.  I can't wait to finish this skidder, I'll post photos once
I get it done.

Eric P

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 08:26:25 -0400

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 4:03 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The last thing I need to build on my skidder is the bar that the chain
> rides on.  Here is a link to the video in case you want to see it again...
> I need to know what size pipe do I need to use for this skidder bar.
>

It looks to me like the bar is something like 3/4" solid rod.  Not hollow
at all.  If the frame of the skidder is 2" square tubing, then the rod is
much less than that.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 09:21:07 -0400

> at all.  If the frame of the skidder is 2" square tubing, then the rod is
Second the square/box tubing, much stronger since the force should be 
mostly downward.  For the slider you could also use a section of the 
slightly larger square tubing with a hook/eye welded to it.  I don't 
think the final bend at the end is needed; that's only if you want the 
log to remain hanging when not in motion.

Peter T.
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]