Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] [Bulk] Rivets backer

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 07:13:18 -0500

It's called a rivet set.  Rivets are actually driven from the head end, and
the shop head (the flattened part) is formed against a bucking bar.
You can put a rivet set into a regular automotive air chisel, but it's hard
to do a decent job that way because air chisels have on-off triggers.  Real
rivet guns have sensitive triggers and can be adjusted to just deliver one
blow at a time when the trigger is worked properly.

You could hand-hammer against the back of the rivet set, to do just a few
rivets.

Rivets can also be squeezed, which makes nice and uniform heads easily, IF
your rivets are all close to an edge - rivet squeezers have fairly shallow
throats.

If you Google "Rivet set" you'll find lots of suppliers.

Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert nogueira
Subject: [Bulk] [Shop-talk] Rivets backer

I need to install some 1/4 inch rivets in my current project. These are the
old fashion solid metal rivets with a domed head. I have had no problem
mushrooming the stem with a hammer. My problem is that the round head tends
to also flatten on the crown.  What I need is a backer that the round head
can sit in when hammering the stem.  I'm sure there is a tool for this but I
have no idea what it is called much less where to buy one.
Can anyone help me with a name and source for such a tool?
Thanks for any help.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "gordies garage" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 08:15:17 -0400 s=q20140121; t=1411820121; bh=xEXp43Ia0gVehhfYjmsQob3+nkqHhohKYaD27uB9kK0=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=BbeZCh6XDa82N38DO8fFEuU77o9mmfR3JKeGMKJB67ziRBapzgPdSXUI1lVfepMW1 dHPWJQXF00ldfr75bq06Yy3EaqDNs9S02vNavvyWv9Bi2j/GA0IUAv6ERrV5G9gmtZ 8jLQr4jnTmzWZ2XVLkD4Oz+7y7lOHOUXVrJta2FUqyHN7od27MGP9302fjpjlz1kvA eRH6NH3xAGxtMtuBvPkxipPJ5DW1dAA/e44P9lJ4p7jRzbEhsVhv1ltq2xdbyG1TuI sU1KJ3zF6R2bKALONrZSptBE3ZF7Q9nMXzpQTVkvNlrdaI/0wMbsoza4aED4MI7pKF 5p1s0eMUz7VGg==

There are backers for installation of snaps in fabric, perhaps one of those 
would be the correct size.
Or might a right sized socket work?

--------------------------------------------------
From: "Robert nogueira" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2014 11:51 PM
To: "Shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Rivets backer

> mushrooming the stem with a hammer. My problem is that the round head 
> tends to
> also flatten on the crown.  What I need is a backer that the round head 
> can
> sit in when hammering the stem.  I'm sure there is a tool for this but I 
> have
> no idea what it is called much less where to buy one.
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]