Subject: [Shop-talk] WiFi Router

From: David Cole <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 18:21:26 -0700

Hello all,

I need some input on a new wireless router.  

Background:  Buying
a new to me home.  Need a new Wifi router.  ISP will be Charter cable.  Just
bought a new Samsung 55" TV.  First TV I've bought with built in WiFi for
Netflx/Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, etc.  The TV has the 802.11 N spec.   The
latest and greatest routers are backwards compliant with the "N" spec, but
also have the newest 802.11 AC.

Is there anything to gain by getting the
fastest available?  The new "AC" routers tend to run double the price ($200
ish for the best)  I don't have any equipment at this time that operates with
the "AC"  The top of the line units are in the 1900 mbps when you combine the
2 bands, but 1300 of that is on the "AC" 5GHz band, so that leaves a max of
600 mbps for the "N"

I need a WiFi router that can handle a laptop, several
iPhones, and TV at the same time.  Desktop will be hard wired in.   Signal
strength needs to be tops as well.  1900 sq ft + 1200 sq ft finished living
area in basement.   Basement garage + detached shop/garage.  I want it to be
able reach the shop.  About 50 ft from the router/desktop in the house,
through a brick wall + cinder block+  brick on the shop.

Brands?  Models?
Thanks
David Cole
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive