Subject: [Shop-talk] rustproofing glop?

From: Philip Ethier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 15:20:27 -0500

Pulled off one of the running boards on my truck yesterday.

No rust on the rocker, but there are some small places where the plastic
running board has rubbed the paint down to shiny metal.

I would like to brush on some sort of permanant rustproofing glop.  I can
shave the running board back and possition it so it does not rub.

What sort of stuff can I get?  I would also like to brush some of it on the
bottom of the rear quarter to fend off stone chips and rust.  I don't care
what it looks like.  If someone wants to look a the bottom of my quarters
and complain about the cosmetics there, let 'em.

The stuff has to stick to oem paint and to metal.

-- 
[email-masked] still works also
Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Eric J Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 20:38:46 -0400

My first thought is a rust converter. It is available as both spray cans and 
brush-on. On steel it dries (cures? converts?) to black. On paint it is 
fairly clear. Once cured it is very tough.

Second thought is POR-15. Also cures very tough.

Since you say the metal is shiney you could simply prime & paint. Then cover 
with stone shield. Comes in a spray can & dries to a rubbery slightly 
textured surface. It is available in clear & black.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC

----- Original Message ----- 

> I would like to brush on some sort of permanant rustproofing glop. 

[email-masked]