Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] UPS fun

From: "Tim ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 21:43:29 -0500

I just kicked 50. who else is in? Fuq the ice bucket (cold stuff is child's
play! I shovel snow in shorts!!).

Just donate.

Sound off Ladies.

tim

> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 15:31:30 -0600
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Shop-talk] UPS fun
>
> You may recall I brought up the topic of the UPS into which the Team.Net
server is plugged.
> I was a bit concerned because of the noises it was making, but not too
worried about its
> performance as a UPS.
>
> Just had a short power outage, and NOW I'm worried. It kept the server
running for about 35
> seconds - not good.
>
> Time to start saving my pennies and do some research.
>
> mjb.
> _______________________________________________
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jimmie Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 01:17:53 -0400

> Just had a short power outage, and NOW I'm worried. It kept the server 

What kind of noises?  Barring any other indications of a hardware failure, 
it sounds like you simply need to replace the battery(ies).

That said, if it turns out that you *do* need to replace the UPS, secondhand
APC SmartUPSes can be had pretty cheaply on the secondhand market.  It's not
uncommon for SU1500 variants to go for around $100 minus battery (figure another
$60-$75 for a pair of 18Ah SLAs).  For a single server, an SU1500 is probably
overkill but nobody ever complained about having too much reserve runtime...

J

[email-masked]