Subject: [Shop-talk] Cleaning up machined surface for oil seal

From: PJ McGarvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:39:26 -0400 FILETIME=[2897FF60:01CFC300]

I'm experiencing an oil leak where an axle CV flange is sealed against the
transmission.
I'm linking to an ebay listing for a replacement axle flange that I'm looking
to purchase, and so people know what I'm talking about.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360969530778?item=360969530778&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
For history, I had the trans refreshed, and new axle oil seals were installed.
While it was out, I also repacked CV joints and noted that both axle flanges
on the trans had some corrosion and pitting directly on the surface that rides
in the oil seal.  Figuring it had lasted this long with no big leaks I was
aware of, that cleaning it up and reinstalling would be fine.  New axle
flanges are $200 each for this particular transmission, so I didn't jump at
the chance to buy new ones, and didn't think it'd be a big deal.
So either the new seal is just failing (it was after a track day), or whatever
I did to clean up the surface made it worse, or just Murphy's dumb luck and
it's leaking more now than before.

My question is, if I purchase the axle in the ebay listing and it's not as
perfect as hoped (the seller said the items is already boxed up) once I look
at it, how could I go about "touching up" the machined surface - basically
where the rusty part meets the shiny part in the ebay pics.
short of buying a lathe (hah!) and machining it down a hair, can I chuck this
shaft into a drill press or something and polish it somehow to get a nice,
even and leak free seal?
Thanks-PJ
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:54:56 +0000

> it's leaking more now than before.

Have you considered a Speedi-sleeve?  You may have to look it up by size if they don't have that particular application listed.  I've had good luck using a sleeve that was listed for a shaft some .010" larger than the one I had; used some Loctite "circular parts mount" under it and it sealed fine.

Something else to look at is how snugly the shaft fits into the bore that supports it.  On my Chevy, that bore was plain cast iron, and it wore oversize, allowing the equivalent piece (the Chevy didn't use a flange, just a CV joint) to wobble around.

Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Walke <[email-masked]> localhost.scooter.p.blarg.net
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 17:11:58 -0700

>shaft into a drill press or something and polish it somehow to get a nice,

         I've dealt with leaky seals on my A2 Golfs.  I ended up buying new 
flanges.

         I believe a light touchup with some emery cloth would smooth up 
the surface.  You could chuck it in a drill press to ensure you get a even cut.
         Emery cloth comes in different grits, like sandpaper.  A machinist 
would be able to tell you what grit to use.  I'd guess start with 400-600 
grit and polish it out with 1000 grit.

         The problem is the seals tend to dig two closely spaced grooves in 
the flange over the miles.  When you put a new seal on, if it doesn't end 
up sitting exactly in the same place as the old one - you get a leak.  The 
groove isn't something that'd show up in a photo, you have to place 
eyeballs on it to really see it.

         Another option is a product called a Speedi-Sleeve.  It's a thin 
(.010") sleeve that goes on the flange where the seal rides and gives a 
nice new surface for the seal to ride on.
         I used one after I rebuilt my Golf engine to stop a leaking rear 
main seal.  Easier than pulling the engine to re-machine the crank!  The 
sleeves come in a variety of sizes and can be installed without any special 
tools or machine tools, etc.  Accurate measurements need to be taken to get 
the correct sleeve.  I consulted with my local machinists to get the right one.

         Link at: 
<http://www.skf.com/group/products/seals/industrial-seals/power-transmission-seals/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve/index.html>

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       480,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new 
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: PJ McGarvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:05:40 -0400

Ebay axle has been ordered, so we'll see what happens there.
The speedi seal is a great backup plan, and the correct size is available for
this application.
Thanks!

> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 17:11:58 -0700
> To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cleaning up machined surface for oil seal
>
> PJ wrote:
>
<http://www.skf.com/group/products/seals/industrial-seals/power-transmission-
seals/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve/index.html>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]