Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tv in the shop

From: PJ McGarvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 15:38:56 -0400

I guess it depends which tv shows, but Hulu is one place you can subscribe and
watch content on a PC.  If your shows are on HBO and you subscribe to it, then
HBO On demand can be streamed to a PC as well.
Then there's youtube, you *might* find some good tv shows on there, though I'm
not sure to what extent they are supposed to be there per copyright.   There
have to be many other good options as well, just not aware of them.
PJ

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 08:49:29 -0500
> Subject: [Shop-talk] tv in the shop
>
> sometimes in the shop, I'm working on a 'bench' project and would like to
> watch video's or movies while working...  there are episodes of tv shows
I've
> missed that I'd like to download to my p.c. and watch when I can.
>
> I tried Amazon but they have no option for downloading to a pc and watching
> off line later.. or so they say... I can download it to my Kindle Fire (if
I
> had one) or to my X-box (if I had that) but nothing to a generic p.c....
>
> any of you guys do the download stuff with tv episodes successfully ???  I
use
> U-verse but they don't do CBS shows (in particular) in there On-demand
> system...   is there another service on the net that I can use... I don't
mind
> paying for what I want, if I could find it...
>
> thanks
> John
>
>
> ---
> This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
> protection is active.
> http://www.avast.com
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 15:44:25 -0400

Did you try "torrenting"?

it works for my daughter...

Doug

[email-masked]

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 13:20:51 -0700

> it works for my daughter...

Yes, but...

a) You will find a lot of content out there, some legally there, much not.

b) Trolling for copyright violators on BitTorrent trackers has replaced 
ambulance-chasing as the lazy lawyer's revenue generator.   It's 
essentially extortion-as-Nigerian-spam, and while they may not ever get 
any money out of you, your ISP doesn't like getting those letters. 
Though if your taste in downloads runs toward 'Well-Oiled Snap-On Girls 
#26' they might get a good laugh out of the video titles.

c) Therefore, if you intend to step into the torrents, even if you are 
intending to download only content you *believe* to be legit, you may 
want to find a good encrypted tunnel service (preferably one that at 
least credibly claims not to keep any logging e.g. 
privateinternetaccess) to use just to prevent mistakes from becoming 
takedown-letter-bait.

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: John Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 13:33:44 -0700

>> it works for my daughter...

Oh, and

d) Letting teen-to-twentysomething-aged relatives stay with you and 
engage in bareback bittorrent on your network can result in some 
interesting communication with your ISP.

Corporate IT departments go to certain lengths to implement IDS/IPS 
rules that stomp on bittorrent traffic whenever they find it, for good 
reason, but I hadn't expected to need that at home...

John.

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 16:33:27 -0700

John - For the future, if you want to build up an inventory, you can add 
a tv tuner card to your PC and record with Windows Media Center - either 
from cable or over the air.  I have a Hauppauge dual tuner card, so can 
record two programs while watching a third that was already recorded.  
Windows Media Center has a program guide and you can set it to record 
various series.  Functionality looks similar to what I see others do 
with their cable TV DVRs.  All the files are in .wtv (Windows TV) 
format, which play on Windows 7 and I assume newer formats.  You can 
copy the files easily between computers over a network or external 
drive.  A 2 hour HD program runs about 13GB.  If you like the files and 
want to use outside of Windows, Windows Movie Maker can convert them to 
the .wmv format, though it takes long enough that you want to start and 
let run.

With kids and their schedules, I pretty much never watch live TV. The 
other nice thing you can do is play in a fast mode, so if you can stand 
people talking a little faster, you can watch a half hour program in 15 
minutes, skipping commercials.  It takes a little to get used to, but 
now regular speed TV seems too slow most of the time.

I'm also fortunate to be in the Los Angeles area, so I get quite a few 
options over the air.  Many of the digital sub-channels run movies and 
older programs, so you may want to check and see what is free over the 
air.  A good place to check is http://www.titantv.com/

If you are into documentaries, there are many good channels on Youtube.  
If you have Firefox, you can add the Download Helper extension and 
download them to your PC as a file that you can also move to your shop 
computer.  Download Helper may work on some TV programs from the network 
sites, but I've found most have a way to block it.

If you have network or good wireless to the shop, you can also get a 
little box to stream.  I don't know current technology, so will avoid 
any recommendation here.

Brian

On 8/14/2014 6:49 AM, John Niolon wrote:
> watch video's or movies while working...  there are episodes of tv shows I've
> off line later.. or so they say... I can download it to my Kindle Fire (if I
> any of you guys do the download stuff with tv episodes successfully ???  I use
> system...   is there another service on the net that I can use... I don't mind
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 22:42:38 -0400

> HBO On demand can be streamed to a PC as well.
Hulu is good for current season, NetFlix for past seasons.  I'd go with 
a streaming box like AppleTV or Roku.   Many of the cable channels can 
stream to these devices using your cable subscription, except Comcast 
which can stream to mobile devices but not Roku, they only allow AppleTV.

I actually watch TV in the garage using a 9 inch android tablet.  I made 
a stand and have a pair of computer speakers.  I also use the speakers 
with an older MP3 player.

> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Robert nogueira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 22:16:34 -0500

I've been recording tv shows for several years using the program called Total
Recorder by High Criteria.  I have a tv card in my computer and source the
show right off my Directv TiVo box. It allows you to set the format, ( I use
mp4) and quality.  It has auto start and a timer if you want to record off
air.
The Azul app for Ipad and iPhone will also play the mp4 files on my iPad.
Another nice feature is you can edit shows, cutting out sections.
The flexibility of the program makes it rather complicated however once you
find the settings that work best for you you can save them and changes setting
becomes a one click operation.

Bob

> On Aug 14, 2014, at 8:49 AM, John Niolon <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> .......any of you guys do the download stuff with tv episodes successfully
???  I use
mind

[email-masked]