Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Boosting a UPS?

From: "Peter J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:56:56 -0400

On 7/27/2014 4:08 PM, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> It is hot here in Salt Lake. I got a small fan for my office to help 
> keep me cool.
> I plugged it into one of the non-backup outlets on the UPS that powers 
> the Team.Net
> server. Now when I turn the little fan off or on, the UPS beeps a few 
> times. Interesting.
>
> It could be a sign that I need to replace the UPS soon. Maybe time for 
> a mini fund drive?
> I have also heard that one can increase the capacity by wiring normal 
> 12 volt car, motorcycle,
> lawn tractor, etc. batteries into the circuit. Anyone have any 
> experience doing so?
You want a deep cycle battery, like a golf cart battery.  Auto batteries 
that provide a short burst of very high amperage to turn a starter.  
They are not designed for continuous high amperage draw and will fail 
when used for backup power.  The plates in a starter battery are thinner 
than a deep cycle battery and more of them. This is too provide a larger 
surface area for chemical reaction. The heat build up from continuous 
higher amperage draw can warp the plates and cause shorts.
>
> mjb.
>
> ps: About the only thing I remember from all the electrical 
> engineering classes I took
>     in college is that given enough current, any circuit element can 
> be modeled as a fuse.
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Pat Horne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 20:55:58 -0500

I had this problem at my house. We have several UPS units around the place.
When the A/C came on all the UPS units would beep. Turned out we had low
line voltage coming into the house, about 108v that would drop to about 100v
for a second. Check your incoming power just to be sure.

Peace,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark
J Bradakis
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] Boosting a UPS?

It is hot here in Salt Lake. I got a small fan for my office to help keep me
cool.
I plugged it into one of the non-backup outlets on the UPS that powers the
Team.Net server. Now when I turn the little fan off or on, the UPS beeps a
few times. Interesting.

It could be a sign that I need to replace the UPS soon. Maybe time for a
mini fund drive?
I have also heard that one can increase the capacity by wiring normal 12
volt car, motorcycle, lawn tractor, etc. batteries into the circuit. Anyone
have any experience doing so?

mjb.

ps: About the only thing I remember from all the electrical engineering
classes I took
     in college is that given enough current, any circuit element can be
modeled as a fuse.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]