Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cell phone signal boosters

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:30:01 -0400

I have the Verizon version.  They call it a network extender.  You 
have to have broadband service through your cable TV or FIOS or 
whatever.  The device plugs into your broadband and basically acts as 
a mini cell site for your house, sending the calls over the 
internet.  I am pretty happy with it.  Cell phone works much better 
now.  It requires a GPS signal, so the network extender must be 
located somewhere where that is possible.  The GPS antenna can be a 
few feet away, but you can't put it someplace like the 
basement.  Verizon charges you once for the device and doesn't charge 
any monthly fee, which is good.  I found that when I called to 
complain about my cell service, they did some checks and ultimately 
offered me the network extender at a considerable discount.  I don't 
think it will help you with your AT&T phone, though.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

At 12:55 PM 7/28/2014, James Stone wrote:
>Does anyone here know anything about cell phone signal boosters?  Cell phone
>coverage is pretty weak at our new place and I need to do something to boost
>it. Unfortunately, my wife has Verizon and I have AT&T and neither of us ever
>gets a strong signal - one or two bars at best and even that varies with where
>you are in the house. It isn't too bad in our back yard, but is spotty in the
>house, which is only 780 sq feet. I know I can get a booster from AT&T that
>will work with my phone and I am sure Verizon has something comparable, but it
>would be nice to just buy one. We don't need a lot - even a little increase
>would probably do the trick. Does anyone here have any experience with these
>or advice?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Curious_John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:56:37 -0400

I use zBoost (www.zboost.com) not cheap ($399.99 - it's gone up a lot in
the last few years) but it works.  Since I installed it people stop in the
road in front of our house to use their phone.  It has an outdoor antenna -
mine is on one end of the house as high as I coould get it.  A cable like
your tv cable leads to an indoor unit that I have in a closet.  It will work
for both Verizon and AT&T on 3G but not for 4G.  I have no interest in the
company.  It's just a product that works as advertised for me.

John

[email-masked]

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 21:31:32 -0400

I have the ATT MicroCell. It also requires broadband (I have a cablemodem).
It has worked really well for us for over 2 years now, and given your house
is under 1000 sq feet, it would cover your entire house without difficulty.

It will only provide coverage to ATT phones that you specifically add to an
access list. I bought mine on eBay for much less than the ATT retail price
of $200.

I should have gone with the zBoost John suggested (or Wilson DB Pro or
other 2-way amplifier). It is carrier-agnostic (though you will want to
ensure it operates in the band(s) that your phones require. You could need
850MHz, 1900MHz, or one of several LTE bands. All depends on where your
house is located. If you are using wi-fi at your house, you shouldn't be
impacted by any 3G speed limitation that might be present in the amplifier.

-Peter

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> I have the Verizon version.  They call it a network extender.  You have to
> have broadband service through your cable TV or FIOS or whatever.  The
> device plugs into your broadband and basically acts as a mini cell site for
> your house, sending the calls over the internet.  I am pretty happy with
> it.  Cell phone works much better now.  It requires a GPS signal, so the
> network extender must be located somewhere where that is possible.  The GPS
> antenna can be a few feet away, but you can't put it someplace like the
> basement.  Verizon charges you once for the device and doesn't charge any
> monthly fee, which is good.  I found that when I called to complain about
> my cell service, they did some checks and ultimately offered me the network
> extender at a considerable discount.  I don't think it will help you with
> your AT&T phone, though.
>
> -Steve Trovato
> [email-masked]
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/
> [email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: James Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:09:08 -0400

Thanks guys.  I do have broadband, and have looked at both the ATT and Verizon
microcells. I want something that will work across both (as neither my wife
nor I can switch carriers for a while) and will look at the zBoost and Wilson
amplifiers.  Id looked at them earlier, but wanted to be sure they actually
worked.  I figured Id find the answer here, and obviously have.
Thanks again!
Jim

On Jul 28, 2014, at 9:31 PM, Peter Murray <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]