Subject: [Shop-talk] Electrical safety question (and Alaska local question)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 09:26:33 -0400 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 07/24/2014 09:26:39, Serialize complete at 07/24/2014 09:26:39

OK, so I picked up a used 'construction office' trailer this weekend.  The 
idea for me is to use it as a mobile studio for the SO to paint and do 
other crafts. 

The trailer was already wired for 240v.  Inside the trailer each leg 
becomes a separate 15 amp circuit (on their own breaker.)

Here is what I did temporarily to get power to the trailer (and what I 
want to do permanently if it is safe.)

I spliced the 240v line into two separate 120 volt lines.  (splitting the 
common and ground into each plug.)

This way, I just need to plug both plugs into a duplex receptacle (much 
more common) and I don't need to have a dedicated 240v outlet to use the 
trailer.

There are no 240v circuits inside the trailer that would require 2 
separate 'legs'.

Is this safe?  (or 'safe enough')

The power is just for the lights, and a fan, radio, glue gun or something 
like that.  I'm not running any heavy duty equipment from it.  (I may add 
a TV or video game cabinet at some point.)

Am I crazy?

Side note-  I'll be in Anchorage, AK next week.  Anyone here up in that 
part of the woods?  I'll buy lunch.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive