Subject: [Shop-talk] Computer sound problem

From: Dave Cavanaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 19:03:36 -0700

Last year I assembled a budget tower system from Newegg to replace an 
aging HP system with a bad HDD.  I would provide a link to the 
motherboard but for some reason Newegg won't let me see my 2013 order 
history.  It will show 2012 and 14 just fine but not 2013...

Anyway, the sound quit.  The little speaker icon in the lower right hand 
corner of the screen (Win 7) has a red and white x on it and when you 
put the mouse pointer it says the headphones or speakers are not plugged 
in, which they are.  I have tried two different sets of speakers through 
both the front and rear jacks.  I even bought a little USB dongle with 
speaker and mic jacks on the front, but that doesn't work, either.  
Should I get a cheap sound card and try that?  Any other suggestions?  
This is an inexpensive motherboard with all the sound, video, etc, all 
on the main board.  This is the first time I have messed around with 
computer guts since the old XT/AT days when you got add-on cards for 
just about everything.

Another feature is an annoying scan line that goes up across the display 
about every two seconds or so.  It's not real obvious, but annoying.

And no, I can't find the documentation from the computer stuff. Only 
that it was some kind of AMD quad core processor.  I can find ALL of the 
documentation for the Seequa Chameleon I bought in 1982, but not for the 
computer I bought last year...

Thanks
Dave
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive