Subject: [Shop-talk] Wide mulching mower

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 15:43:43 -0500

I've been using a 21" mower on my Illinois lawn (blue grass) for too many
decades now, and especially in the humid summer it's a killer.  Our yard is
really too small for a lawn tractor - I have a 42" deck tractor but haven't
used it here in years.  On top of that, my Snapper with the Ninja blade is
marginal at mulching, which is my cutting method of choice.  It's got a 6.75
HP Briggs, but it's still not enough to properly chew up the grass and not
leave a trail in spots where the grass is a little long.  And I mow at least
weekly.  It actually does about as well just side-discharging the grass,
which I do sometimes.  I seldom bag the grass.

Toro recently came out with a 30" walk-behind mower, but the reviews aren't
the best and I already own a disappointment.  Snapper makes (or used to?) a
30" rider that stores standing on end, which is great, but I have no idea
whether it's any better at mulching than their 22" models.

My neighbor actually has an excellent mulching-only mower.  But it's a
10-year-old no-name el cheapo from MTD that isn't available any more.  It
just happens to do a fantastic job of mulching even tall and wet grass.

So..  Is there a good mulching mower available today?  Preferably wider than
22", must be self-propelled, and I don't necessarily need to bag or side
discharge as long as it mulches well.  Walk-behind or rider.

Thanks!
Karl
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive