Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Remote tank level sensing.

From: "Pat Horne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 14:52:30 -0500

An easy way to do this is to use a float switch in the tank that will turn
on the transmitter when the water level gets to the desired set point. You
might be able to just put a 12v car horn, the float switch and a battery at
the tank to alert the family when the water is low. As someone else
suggested, a solar charger would be a good fit for this project.

Peace,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Shop-talk [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark
Miller
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 2:35 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] Remote tank level sensing.

Hi.  A friend asked me to come take a look when their water system failed
recently.  Problem was easy to diagnose and fix (a leak caused the tanks to
drain out faster than they filled up.  Leak fixed and the tanks refilled
within a few days) and I [foolishly] offered to help set something up so it
won't happen again as catastrophically.

The situation: there are some spring fed storage tanks about 50-100 feet
away from the nearest source of power.  They typically remain full or nearly
so and there is a system to keep them full (manual float valves). 
I would like to add some level sensors in the tank to indicate when the tank
is less than 1/2-3/4 full (something might be awry) and another when the
tank is almost empty to disable the (remote from the tanks, but located near
power) booster pumps to prevent them from running dry and possibly
overheating.

The most straightforward would be to put sensors in the tanks and run wires
to relays at the pumps and indicators, but that would require trenching.
Anyone know of a good source for some battery operated transmitters and
battery or wired receivers?  These are rather slow changing signals, so
something that transmitted only at a change or had a transmit interval that
could be set to a long time would be better for battery life (but changing
batteries isn't that big a deal, just a pain).

Thank, o all knowing list!!

--
Regards,

Mark Miller
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Bob Kegel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 13:26:22 -0700 s=q20140121; t=1401567992; bh=4SaOyafdjJVYV1DvmtHuf4ZQAgpd06QJbfmt/bFueV0=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Reply-To:From:To:Subject:Date: MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=CEPmgX/KwsE9EI3DcMIQbMxMdJ+APmjUWlbZJkK5YxH36VOWfUKJxJuI1fbp560Uz E6fxZIIK/S8eQiZmBkzoohZX0auXZryk3s8s4taEl9X9i7wH79+Q+BuKVMMuUsNMf9 31cNHHxllecf1+e6ipECx4Y/1cvlJVXpdkLaB6hwcn3G0I0S+Jwi3IYbLzfOoAKrg0 SmMpJM7ZnGsToOs7tezuZ0IabqbtZjtREmc4Ce8+/jYFwGsewwShyYRPy9gaJKW4lB UY1MVE5e7t9kI0hguYxtSDxn/3dZ4JGZ17ZseghIi7rwzMoYFt29yx4KJLLVUSW/vJ ADro+w0EM2tUA==

http://www.electrosense.com.au/ sells the "Aquagauge Wireless Water Level 
Monitor".  Or you could use a float switch to trigger a wireless driveway 
monitor.

Bob K 

[email-masked]