Subject: [Shop-talk] Audio receiver repair?

From: Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 08:14:28 -0400

I have an old Advent model 300, which was a nice unit back in the day. I 
put it in the garage and connected it to a pair of bookshelf speakers 
and a dual-speaker subwoofer. It made no noise for a few minutes and 
then went POP.

THEN I read the manual which said don't plug it into 4 speakers of less 
than 8 ohms each. Mine are all 4 ohms :-\

I found a blown fuse and replaced it but now it blows right away. Is 
there any way for someone mostly clueless about electronics to diagnose 
what's broke? I have a basic multimeter for tools, and I understand big 
electrons, but not the small ones...

thanks,
jim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Peter Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 11:10:57 -0400

The lower impedance should not have caused any damage, unless you cranked
the volume way up and blew the amp. It sounds like you have a power supply
inside the amplifier that has failed. Power supplies often have
electrolytic capacitors for filtering and stabilization, and they can dry
out over time and send the supply circuit out of spec. I would start there.

This page may have some helpful items:
http://www.davidreaton.com/Model_300_repair_experiences.htm

-Peter

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Jim Franklin <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> put it in the garage and connected it to a pair of bookshelf speakers and a
> dual-speaker subwoofer. It made no noise for a few minutes and then went
> POP.
>
> I found a blown fuse and replaced it but now it blows right away. Is there
> any way for someone mostly clueless about electronics to diagnose what's
> broke? I have a basic multimeter for tools, and I understand big electrons,
> but not the small ones...
>
> thanks,
> jim
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/
> [email-masked]

[email-masked]