Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Installing a Network device in a safe.

From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 16:29:13 -0600

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Jack Brooks <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Temp - Cooler is better.  I don't know what a safe high temperature is.  I
> suspect every degree higher reduces the life by some factor, but I have no
> idea how much.  See my earlier post about my server system drive.
>
>
>
Google published some data about their drive reliability a few years ago.
One of the conclusions was temperature below instant death was not
correlated with early drive failure.  It's been a long time since I read
the paper, but drives run at cool temperatures had a higher early-death
rate than drives run hotter.
There was a bunch of data in it that was surprising to many people,
including that.  (and that most disk failures were not predicted by smart.
disks smart said were failing did tend to fail.)

-- 
David Scheidt
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive