Subject: [Shop-talk] Water treatment options

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:18:40 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 01/13/2014 18:18:03, Serialize complete at 01/13/2014 18:18:03

Well, I finally had my water tested since the new well, and of course it 
looks like I need some treatments. (Questions in BOLD)

First, I had a 'free water testing' done by a local plumbing chain.  They 
are the ones that gave me the test results.

Should I pay for a water test from a local lab to make sure they are just 
tell everyone their water is bad to sell systems?

Next, I had acidic water, 5.5 I believe (I had to wait to get the actual 
results), then I had hardwater (to be expected), and finally I had iron in 
the water.

The Iron I'm not worried about. (you can't see, or smell it.)

The hard water, I wanted to treat with an electronic system. Does anyone 
know if they work, or are they snake oil?

Finally, I have to install a system to neutralize the water.  Does anyone 
have any ideas on what I should do?

I plan to do the work myself, am I crazy?

Thanks in advance.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 23:03:42 -0800

> Next, I had acidic water, 5.5 I believe 

5.5 is not bad at all, that is less acidic than rainwater!  Unless it is causing a specific problem, I'd leave it alone.

OTOH, adding just a little bit of lime is supposed to make the water taste better.

> then I had hardwater (to be expected),

How hard is it?  Some hardness is a good thing, absolutely pure water is actually kind of unpleasant to wash with IMO.  Again,
unless you are unhappy with the effects, it might make more sense to leave it alone. 

> The Iron I'm not worried about. (you can't see, or smell it.)

So not much iron, and it's good for you.

> know if they work, or are they snake oil?

Define "work".  They cannot remove hardness from the water.  Proponents claim they lessen the effects of the hard water, but there
is no accepted method for measuring that.  And the dissolved minerals will still come out if you boil the water, clog up your
humidifier (or swamp cooler), etc.

> I plan to do the work myself, am I crazy?

Should be no reason you can't do the work.  The only problem would be proving that the electronic gizmo actually does anything when
you're finished.  But if you're happy, I guess that's what is important.

Randall

[email-masked]

---

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 07:23:56 -0500 (EST)

I'd get a second opinion on the test. Here in WI we can get test kits 
that get sent to a state lab. I've not (had a well and thus not) done 
this for many years but the cost was minor, under $30 I believe.

Acidic water? Not an expert here but never heard of that before. You can 
test this one yourself. Just get some litmus paper.

If you have high iron, do you not also then have the sulfur that 
accompanies high iron content? And thus a smell? That is how it is here.

Can't help with treatment options. I'd get a second, opinion before you 
start spending any money on equipment.

tim

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Well, I finally had my water tested since the new well, and of course 
> it looks like I need some treatments. (Questions in BOLD)
>
> First, I had a 'free water testing' done by a local plumbing chain. 
> They are the ones that gave me the test results.
>
> Should I pay for a water test from a local lab to make sure they are 
> just tell everyone their water is bad to sell systems?
>
> Next, I had acidic water, 5.5 I believe (I had to wait to get the 
> actual results), then I had hardwater (to be expected), and finally I 
> had iron in the water.
>
> The hard water, I wanted to treat with an electronic system. Does 
> anyone know if they work, or are they snake oil?
>
> Finally, I have to install a system to neutralize the water.  Does 
> anyone have any ideas on what I should do?
>
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a 
> rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your 
> territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]