Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Installing a Network device in a safe.

From: w <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 15:38:28 -0500

On 12/30/2013 10:57 PM, ElanS4 wrote:
>> I'm an IT pro and have had to deal with backups for decades.
>
> Me too, or at least I used to be.  Years ago, I used to back up my work
> system (a VAX) onto 8mm digital video tape and carry the backup home with me

Cool ;) Love me some VAXen and Exabytes (or used to).

USB flash drives are so cheap now, that's the way to go. Just do not 
depend on only one or limited ability to back-track. Have you heard 
about the "cryptolocker" thing? It's both ingenious and despicable. 
Friend's company got it and it chewed up files on their servers, and 
they were syncing to a SINGLE other media, so the messed up files over 
wrote the good versions. Someone should be fired over it; but at least 
it's a good lesson for others in the biz.

-Wayne
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mike Rambour <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 12:45:43 -0800

Hey, I still run a VAX (OpenAlpha). Its a great webserver and file 
server, no one knows how to hack it :)

  I have a Buffalo RAID device and its wonderful, just enough heat and 
air circulation to keep rust away from the guns in the safe.

     mike

[email-masked]

---

From: "ElanS4" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 17:41:31 -0500

> USB flash drives are so cheap now, that's the way to go. 

Back when I first started with the VAX, it was the top of the line VAX 780,
with all the options (for a classified project).  We actually had two 512 MB
fixed drives and a 250 Meg removable drive.  All three were the size of a
washing machine.  The removable drive was one of those multi disk platter
things with the plastic housing you slipped down to clamp on and remove it.
And the VAX had a full 12 meg of memory - not 12 gig, 12 meg.  My cell phone
has more computing power than that thing had, and it's an old out dated
"dumb" phone.

Back in the simple days, when things were simpler, and cars had points.

Tim Mullen

[email-masked]

---

From: "Karl Vacek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 17:03:48 -0600

That was called a disk pack.  New in the late 60's.
In the same time period at Western Electric Hawthorne Works our IBM 360/20
(we used it for a glorified tab machine) would get payroll info from Western
Electric Atlanta over an acoustic modem.  I don't recall for certain any
more but I think it was slower than 300 baud.
Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: ElanS4
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Installing a Network device in a safe.

We actually had two 512 MB fixed drives and a 250 Meg removable drive.  All
three were the size of a washing machine.  The removable drive was one of
those multi disk platter things with the plastic housing you slipped down to
clamp on and remove it.

Tim Mullen

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 15:37:29 -0800 s=q20121106; t=1388619399; bh=9zes77SQbYV4xl+cIjn+N6nDT42AqPoCr/RIxlrvCh8=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=Q+Idi2xR4uxoa74aUkNiEN0iLeB9iPghEF/y/2V38vYPqOZOG4rL4bz7zGSMsKYNl KC77cvEj2NRcJyxoQOqVIe4+m3uYbJZJYf/RVhRbyxfUfePqc40IxrGukEyOkdT0/m z/4lI61r98xbC8QrBYKJ84NkSYusV2/fy9QUsByJZkIUwOjrZJi1O9/ctHxD1ANnFp Oo8QWfJRswBoKxFP+IZjLNTCJ73A7D22nDg38aZUJDBK7asDNr97IJVokTH/9s4Q5w BSiNhDVbpy3V94pY/8DI44L2A51FMRGAXYKWvHb6HiYKSvrnGJNM+IdWU6hJdKDwp3 JuhdUzegynlmg==

Ah, the good 'ol days.  Back in the early '60s, when our computer was some 
bamboo that slid back and forth, I was working on highway design, and we 
needed more accuracy, so we used 15 place log tables for hand calcs.  Then, 
headquarters got a mainframe, and we would fill out forms, which would be 
couriered to Sacramento (meaning somebody drove up there from SFO), and we 
would get the answers back the next day.  Of course, by that time we had 
done it all by hand, so we could check to see if the computer did it right.

Mike 

[email-masked]

---

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 23:11:26 -0500

I used one of those in school and in my first job.  A year or two ago I
visited the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA, and they had one
on display.  It's funny when something you remember new is now an antique...

Doug

[email-masked]