Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil-pressure gauge goes nuts on Suburban.

From: old dirtbeard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 07:59:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi Phil,

Just a guess, but perhaps the viscosity of the oil at 11 above was
thick enough to jam the sender unit wide open and now it is stuck there.
 Maybe with heat and cycles it will free up again.  Just a guess...
 
best,
doug
________________
'72 BSA B50SS
'74 Moto Guzzi 850T

'01 HD XHL 883
'03
GMC Cargo Van
'07 Aprilia SXV 550
'13 Aprilia Tuono V4R
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Friday, December 13,
2013 9:48 PM
Subject: [Shop-talk] Oil-pressure gauge goes nuts on Suburban.
2004 Chevrolet Suburban.  Picked up my truck after it had been sitting out in
the 11-degree-F cold for a while.  Started OK.  The oil-pressure gauge was
pegged WAY past the end.  Stopped the truck after it was warm and went into a
store.  Came out and turned on the ignition.  Needle went to full scale. 
Started the engine and needle went to full-on pegged again.  Stayed that way
until I shut it off in the garage.  Needle went to zero.  Ignition on, back to
full scale.  Restart engine, back to superpeg again.

All the other gauges
seem to be acting normally.

Anybody else ever seen anything like this?

Phil
Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle
jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the
bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
[email-masked]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
http://www.flickr.com/groups/triumphtransamerica
http://www.mnautox.com
http://www.mntriumphs.org2004 Suburban.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:55:57 -0600

I tend to agree with DB... if it was actually the oil pump (spring broken) 
you would have blown an oil filter and never gotten out of the yard..... 
I'd suspect a bad sending unit (or stuck one)  and the very last option 
would be a gauge... but they are usually either go or no go when they 
break....  might try removing the sending unit and cleaning it and cycling 
it a few times

john
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "old dirtbeard" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2013 9:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil-pressure gauge goes nuts on Suburban.

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 13:46:37 -0500

I'm going to cast my vote for a short somewhere...
On Dec 14, 2013 12:57 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

2004 Chevrolet Suburban.  Picked up my truck after it had been sitting out
in the 11-degree-F cold for a while.  Started OK.  The oil-pressure gauge
was pegged WAY past the end.  Stopped the truck after it was warm and went
into a store.  Came out and turned on the ignition.  Needle went to full
scale.  Started the engine and needle went to full-on pegged again.  Stayed
that way until I shut it off in the garage.  Needle went to zero.  Ignition
on, back to full scale.  Restart engine, back to superpeg again.

All the other gauges seem to be acting normally.

Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
[email-masked]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier
http://www.flickr.com/groups/triumphtransamerica
http://www.mnautox.com
http://www.mntriumphs.org2004 Suburban.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: John Henard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 14:50:52 -0500

Phil,Sounds like my 2004 Yukon Denali. Engine off oil pressure zero, turn on
and it goes full scale and then back to zero when off. I read somewhere that
was an indication of oil pressure sender. Replaced mine and fixed it and now
acting normally.If your suburban is laid out like the Yukon (should be) I
needed to get the socket at a FLAPS since now of mine would get a good bite on
the sender. $43 for the sender and some bruised knuckles. Suggest laying down
cardboard and maybe a towel over the engine so you can lay on the engine a bit
more comfortably. Be careful with the sender I snapped the top on one and had
to beg for a replacement. Good DIY but will require a few swear words

--John Henard

> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 05:48:50 +0000
> From: [email-masked]
in the 11-degree-F cold for a while.  Started OK.  The oil-pressure gauge was
> http://www.mntriumphs.org2004 Suburban.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 13:43:54 -0600

Does this thing have a sending unit? If it does, the sender could be bad.
Curious to find out what the problem turns out to be. We have an '02
Suburban with the 5.3 LS series V-8.

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Ronnie Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 14:31:22 -0600

John,

Where's the sender located on the engine? These LS series are very
different from the older SBCs.

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM, John Henard <[email-masked]> wrote:

> was

[email-masked]

---

From: John Henard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 21:27:33 -0500

Ronny,For the 2004 Yukon it is located on the drivers side, top back of the
engine. You have to remove the covers and it is more of a job by feel than
sight.Look at these two links and they should
helphttp://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/237689/http://www.you
tube.com/watch?v=SmAkU80ShXg
--John Henard

> Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 14:31:22 -0600
> From: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> > cardboard and maybe a towel over the engine so you can lay on the engine
a
> > bit

[email-masked]