Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Power supply noise?

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 19:53:21 -0800

If you can easily open the case, you can try changing the fan.  Usually a
higher quality fan (which may only cost $5-10) will be much quieter.  Ive
upgraded several power supplies this way.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Dave C <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 20:11:37 -0800

Where do I start looking for an alternate fan?  Out of an old PC power 
supply?  Ebay?

On 12/11/2013 7:53 PM, Darrell Walker wrote:
> If you can easily open the case, you can try changing the fan.  Usually a higher quality fan (which may only cost $5-10) will be much quieter.  Ive upgraded several power supplies this way.
>
>

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Darrell Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 20:15:17 -0800

supply?  Ebay?

Ive used these guys:

http://www.coolerguys.com/fans.html

But even Radio Shack carries fans (which may be quieter).
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 00:14:11 -0500

Messing around inside a brand new power supply wouldn't be my first 
choice.  Try to get it further away from you.  I don't know what your 
room is like, but is there a closet or something nearby?  My 
father-in-law likes to use a 12 Volt car battery and a 
charger/maintainer like a Battery Minder.  The battery provides 
plenty of current and the whole thing is completely silent.  You also 
get to use your radio in a power failure.

-Steve Trovato
[email-masked]

At 10:18 PM 12/11/2013, Dave C wrote:
>I just got a mobile (as in normally installed in a car or truck) 
>uhf/vhf ham radio to use as my base station.  Since it's a mobile I 
>had to get a  12 volt power supply.  I got a (relatively) 
>inexpensive 25 amp switching power supply from the same vendor.  The 
>fan is really noisy and runs all the time.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jack Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 21:33:29 -0800

Dave,

Check out the Remote Control Web sites for modifying a computer power supply
to provide 12 volts.  I've done it numerous times and have attached a copy
of several articles I found on line.  The cost is minimal and they are very
clean power supplies. They are available in many different wattages and are
easy to convert.  

Just start with a quiet power supply.  

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dave C
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Shop-talk] Power supply noise?

I just got a mobile (as in normally installed in a car or truck) uhf/vhf 
ham radio to use as my base station.  Since it's a mobile I had to get 
a  12 volt power supply.  I got a (relatively) inexpensive 25 amp 
switching power supply from the same vendor.  The fan is really noisy 
and runs all the time.  No I haven't called the vendor yet, and my wife 
threw away some of the packaging material anyway.  So, any ideas on how 
to quiet it down?  I have already moved it to the floor under the radio 
bench, but I was thinking of trying to find some kind of thermal switch 
I could add to the fan circuit, or maybe just opening up the enclosure 
and disabling the fan, or putting a manual switch on it.  Also thought 
of building a larger enclosure around it which would still provide air 
movement, but would block most of the noise.

Any ideas?

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a name of Setting Up a PC power supply as a charger - better.doc]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a name of Setting Up a PC power supply as a charger.doc]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/msword which had a name of Desktop Power Supply from a PC.doc]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 07:30:22 -0500

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM, Steven Trovato <[email-masked]> wrote:
> My father-in-law likes to use a 12 Volt car battery and a charger/maintainer
> like a Battery Minder.

I hope he does this somewhere other than in the house...
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Scarbrough <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:18:55 -0500

Hydrogen gas.   A rarity, to be sure, at the kind of normal charging
rates that a maintainer puts out, but still a danger to be aware of.
Even riskier with a higher-amperage charger.  If it fails to shut off,
it can generate explosive quantities of gas.  Not the sort of thing
you want in your living space.

If you go in your garage and smell rotten eggs, don't turn on the
lights or use the door operator  :-)

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Steven Trovato <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> What are you concerned about?  I have cars sitting in my attached garage
> with those maintainers hooked up all winter.
>
> -Steve
>
> At 07:30 AM 12/12/2013, Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
>>

[email-masked]

---

From: Steven Trovato <[email-masked]> mail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:09:04 -0500

Jeff,

What are you concerned about?  I have cars sitting in my attached 
garage with those maintainers hooked up all winter.

-Steve

[email-masked]

---

From: w <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:24:41 -0500

> Where do I start looking for an alternate fan?  Out of an old PC power

http://www.newegg.com/Case-Fans/SubCategory/ID-573

Use the "Power Search" link near the top of the menu to narrow down the 
selection of 813 fans!

w

[email-masked]