Subject: [Shop-talk] 12V cordless tools?

From: Jimmie Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 20:34:35 -0500

Hi.  Does anybody have any experience with 10.8V/12V cordless tools?  Lately
I've become intrigued by 12V lineups from Bosch, Makita and Milwaukee.  In 
particular, Milwaukee's new brushless 12V drill and 1/4" impact driver have 
specs that come pretty close to the larger 18V and 19.2V stuff out there.

Does anyone have any experience with these 12V guys?  

JM
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 20:38:04 -0800

> Hi.  Does anybody have any experience with 10.8V/12V cordless 
> tools? 

Not sure if it helps, but I have an old 12v Ryobi drill that I've been quite happy with.  With the 2-speed gearbox (plus variable
speed trigger), it usually has enough torque for what I want to do.  I still get out the corded Milwaukee for big jobs, but the
cordless will drive 1/4" lag bolts (up to about 1.5" long) into pine.  The lighter weight makes it easier to use in awkward places,
like hanging off a ladder or crawling in the attic.  It was originally 3/8", but I made an adapter so I could mount a 1/2" keyless
chuck on it.  Battery life could be better, but with two packs, I can always keep one of them on the fast charger to be ready when I
need it.

Biggest downside, Ryobi no longer makes that model, so I can't buy batteries at the local "big box" store.  Found some on the
Internet last time, but next time I may have to send the old packs out to be "rebuilt".

Randall

[email-masked]