Subject: [Shop-talk] test lead connectors

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 12:23:42 -0600

for lack of a better term... that's what I need.   Recently in the past I've
had to do some testing of equipment and the only access was thru it's
connector.... the connector was approx 3/8" wide and 3/4" long with 8 pins...
that mated to a similar constructed plug (female)

the test point was inside a piece of equipment with very little room and it
was nearly impossible to get to.  When I tried to hold my test lead on the pin
my hand was blocking my view and it was impossible to get two leads in that
small connector and get both hands in the hole to hold them.

so... I';m looking for some test lead connectors that would resemble a sleeve
(or female end) that would slip over the connector pins much like the mating
connector might... I guess I could buy a matching connector and butcher it up
or build a test cable from it.... but it's probably a one time test and not
worth the time of $$$...

anyone ever seen this type connector ???  know of a source other than homemade
???  I'm not even sure what to call them to do a search on them.

thanks
John

Many people are alive only because it's illegal to shoot them.

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brian Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 11:38:41 -0800

John - You can buy just the pins that go in the connector without the 
connector body.  Typically when making a connector, you connect the wire 
to the pin then insert it in the connector.  A local electronics store 
may have them.

For a quick test without going to the store, consider something that you 
can jam in (but not too hard to mess up the pins).  Some stiff stranded 
wire might.  For small connectors (dishwasher control panel), I used a 
pin (like from a new dress shirt) as a probe and clipped my test lead to 
that.  I've also used segments of a soda can.  You can cut the can with 
ordinary scissors to get a length and width to suit your need.  Use 
caution as the cut edges are sharp. You could crimp some light gauge 
wire in the can segments to make it easier to connect your meter 
probes.  You can also twist a strip of the can around a nail to make a 
sleeve.

The important thing to do here is avoid any short if testing with 
power.  Don't do this for high power like 110 AC or a high current DC 
application like connected to a 12V auto battery.  I would also not do 
this with any sensitive electronics that are powered on.  It should be 
fine for a continuity or resistance test of equipment that is off.

Brian

On 12/29/2013 10:23 AM, John Niolon wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 19:47:02 GMT

John,I have a couple of light duty leads that have a small copper wire hook
that allow easy connection to an open wire.I have successfully bent the tip a
little to allow 90 degree operation but don't know if there is enough room
within a cannon plug... Home made small tube may be the best bet.

MB

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
To: "shop-talk" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Shop-talk] test lead connectors
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 12:23:42 -0600

the test point was inside a piece of equipment with very little room and it
was nearly impossible to get to.  When I tried to hold my test lead on the
pin
my hand was blocking my view and it was impossible to get two leads in that
small connector and get both hands in the hole to hold them.

anyone ever seen this type connector ???  know of a source other than
homemade
???  I'm not even sure what to call them to do a search on them.

thanks
John

---

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]