Subject: [Shop-talk] Installing a Network device in a safe.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 15:58:24 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 12/30/2013 16:17:46, Serialize complete at 12/30/2013 16:17:46

OK, so while I was looking at high end gun safes, I noticed that they now 
come with a RJ45 passthrough as well as 110v AC inside.  I was told this 
was so you could put a network storage device (NAS) in it to keep your 
data safe as well.

My question is, is there enough air flow in a safe to have a few hard 
drives running in there?  I have a Seagate BlackArmor 4 TB NAS that I want 
to put in the safe.

Is there a certain temperature I need to maintain? Is there an effective 
way to monitor the temp inside the safe?

Thanks in advance.

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Matt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 03:02:17 GMT

I was under the impression that late model hard drives have a built in health
monitoring capability.At one time I downloaded some software that allowed you
to see the figures and I believe there were a couple of temp data
points.Whether external drives have that same capability I do not know.

From: [email-masked] wrote

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jack Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 19:10:01 -0800

Temp - Cooler is better.  I don't know what a safe high temperature is.  I
suspect every degree higher reduces the life by some factor, but I have no
idea how much.  See my earlier post about my server system drive. 

A simple remote thermometer will allow the sensor to be in the safe and the
display outside.  The thinner thermocouple cables "should" be able to handle
the safe door closing on it.

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2013 7:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Installing a Network device in a safe.

I was under the impression that late model hard drives have a built in
health
monitoring capability.At one time I downloaded some software that allowed
you
to see the figures and I believe there were a couple of temp data
points.Whether external drives have that same capability I do not know.

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]