Subject: [Shop-talk] troubleshooting LED flashlight again

From: "John Niolon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 08:04:40 -0600

I tried flipping battery...still dark... checking voltage   one lead on the
positive battery post and the other on the case where the led screws in... got
1.5vdc there... so the problem must be in the led assembly... too small to
canabalize... it's only about 1/2" in diameter and 1/4" high...  it's just odd
that all 4 would fail... the seller offered no info except a refund.  BTW
here's a better link below if anyone is interested...  the others that I
bought previously are good lites with a long runtime for a single AA.

http://www.amazon.com/BBQbuy-300lm-Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable/dp/B006E0QAFY/
ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347327761&sr=8-1&keywords=cree+flashlighthttp://www.a
mazon.com/BBQbuy-300lm-Flashlight-Torch-Adjustable/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref=sr_1_1?i
e=UTF8&qid=1347327761&sr=8-1&keywords=cree+flashlight

and Merry Christmas to all you shop-talk guys... you've saved my bacon a few
times this year... thanks

john

Many people are alive only because it's illegal to shoot them.

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 08:49:08 -0800

> the others that I

Like so many other things these days, quality control is non-existent.  If a production problem arises, they may have made millions
of units before discovering it.  No telling when the problem arose, or how far down the channel the defective units have gone.
Recalling all of the potentially defective units is a huge expense.  Since the vast majority of customers will not pursue
satisfaction from a defective product, it winds up being cheaper to just accept returns cheerfully and keep shipping potentially
defective product.

I went through something similar with some LED "head" lights (to be worn on the forehead).  They work really well when they work.
Bought a 3-pack of a new model at Home Depot and one of them was dead right out of the package.  Took it back, they gave me another
package, no comment at all.  Two of those died within a week.  Took it back, got another 3 pack.  When two of those died within a
few weeks, I went back and was informed they don't carry them any more.  No refund.  I probably could have made a fuss, but it was
less than $5 and just not worth the effort.

BTW, Horrible Freight was giving away lights similar to yours, and so far all of them (that I got) are still working fine.  Still
purely luck of the draw with them, but the odds seem to be improving.

Randall

[email-masked]