Subject: [Shop-talk] Rotary air compressor design question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 17:23:19 -0500 7.0.1|January 17, 2006) at 12/24/2013 17:23:16, Serialize complete at 12/24/2013 17:23:16

OK, here is the setup.  A buddy of mine needs an air compressor that 
delivers over 60CFM at 50psi (he closes sprinklers)

He bought a rotary compressor that delivers 60cfm @ 110 PSI.

There will be no tank in the setup (it's going to be trailer mounted.) 
It's powered by a gas engine.

So, a typical regulator would set down the psi and the compressor will 
turn 'off'.  But this unit is designed to run full bore with no limiter or 
idle control.

So, how can he step down the PSI while maintaining the CFMs, when he can't 
stop the compressor? (and there is no tank to act as a reservoir?)

I'm guess it's going to need some sort of TPI bypass value or something?

Any ideas?

To my fellow Christians, Merry Christmas. To everyone else, have a 
wonderful and joyous Holiday Season!

Eric P
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational 
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph 
Waldo Emerson 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Randall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 15:57:57 -0800

> I'm guess it's going to need some sort of TPI bypass value or 

Yup, need a pressure relief valve that will flow 60 cfm and can be set to 50 psi.  It must already have a PRV, perhaps it can be
adjusted to 50 psi (maybe by trimming turns out of the spring).

Might be worth looking into some way of slowing down the engine as well; modify the governor or whatnot.  That relief valve is going
to be noisy.

Randall

[email-masked]