Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] New Generator

From: Doug Braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 21:30:00 -0500

These days, unless you want high-end, everybody seems to be selling
something made by some other company, and just slapping their label on it.
And this could be happening separately for the gas engine and the actual
generator.

I would:

1: Test your ability to find and order spare parts on-line.  If you can't,
that's a bad sign.
2:  Reject any generator that does not have a fuel shutoff valve, or which
has a fuel pump instead of pure gravity feed.
3: Avoid something that you would not trust running computers or other
electronic devices.

There generators that work without brushes.  That sounds good in theory,
but I haven't heard how much better it is in practice.

If you have the means, an inverter generator is very nice.  They can
throttle down when the load is low, and you use less noise, and use less
gas.  I have a Honda EU2000, and it is wonderful if 2000 watts is
sufficient.
A EU6500 would be nice for you, but it costs $$$$$.

BTW, consider how you will be able to keep the thing fed if you have to run
it for a several days.  If you have a 5000 watt generator that uses a
gallon every two hours, that's 12 gallons a day,  In three days, you will
have to bring home 36 gallons of gas, which probably cost you over $100.
(My EU2000 will run 10 hours on a gallon of gas.)

Doug

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM, john Mitchell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My 30 year old, 5000 watt Yamaha Generator has about had it and I want to
> buy a new Generator for emergency use at home.  I have a 30 amp transfer
> switch installed so I want to stay in the 5000 to 8000 watt range.  Anyone
> have a recommendation for a good unit. I'm hoping for no storms until I get
> this done.  Thanks,  John Mitchell Shelton, CT
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.96
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/doug@
> dougbraun.com
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: john Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 22:09:06 -0500

Thanks for the insights.  My 5000 watt generator would run 8 hours on 
2.5 gallons and I always keep 15 gallons stored with stabil.  I hate to 
spend $3000 on something that rarely gets used.  My other big concern is 
noise.  I've read that diesel generators are much quieter.  John
On 12/1/2013 9:30 PM, Doug Braun wrote:
> something made by some other company, and just slapping their label on 
> it.  And this could be happening separately for the gas engine and the 
> actual generator.
>
> I would:
>
> 1: Test your ability to find and order spare parts on-line.  If you 
> can't, that's a bad sign.
> 2:  Reject any generator that does not have a fuel shutoff valve, or 
> which has a fuel pump instead of pure gravity feed.
> There generators that work without brushes.  That sounds good in 
> theory, but I haven't heard how much better it is in practice.
>
> throttle down when the load is low, and you use less noise, and use 
> less gas.  I have a Honda EU2000, and it is wonderful if 2000 watts is 
> sufficient.
> BTW, consider how you will be able to keep the thing fed if you have 
> to run it for a several days.  If you have a 5000 watt generator that 
> uses a gallon every two hours, that's 12 gallons a day,  In three 
> days, you will have to bring home 36 gallons of gas, which probably 
> cost you over $100.  (My EU2000 will run 10 hours on a gallon of gas.)
>
> Doug
>
>
>
>
> On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM, john Mitchell <[email-masked] 
>
>     My 30 year old, 5000 watt Yamaha Generator has about had it and I
>     want to buy a new Generator for emergency use at home.  I have a
>     30 amp transfer switch installed so I want to stay in the 5000 to
>     8000 watt range.  Anyone have a recommendation for a good unit.
>     I'm hoping for no storms until I get this done.  Thanks,  John
>     Mitchell Shelton, CT
>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: nick brearley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 10:09:22 +0000

> On 12/1/2013 9:30 PM, Doug Braun wrote:

There is the lpg option. I've just bought an lpg kit for my EU20i that 
is supposed to use 0.33 kg propane per hour. That generator is big 
enough to run a central heating pump, a couple of freezers and give a 
bit of light but would not be big enough for your needs.

Regarding diesel generators and noise. I'd be surprised if diesel was 
quieter but ultimately it comes down to the sound deadening 
encapsulation. I have a bit of experience with a floodlighting generator 
powered by a Cummins 4BT3.9. While that isn't noisy I certainly wouldn't 
want it running all night outside the house.

This is an interesting website by someone who earns a living repairing 
Honda generators:

http://www.petepower.co.uk/choosing-generators.html

Starts with the small camping models then goes on to the larger items 
that may be of interest to you.

Hope you get sorted before winter sets in. Don't know how long you plan 
staying in the house but 30 years from a Yamaha generator is a pretty 
good recommendation.

Nick Brearley

[email-masked]